|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, according to Ballard, "read the answer to her unspoken questions in the scars on my legs and chest" in the hospital?
(a) His nurse.
(b) His doctor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mistress.
2. What is Helen wearing when Ballard sees her in the yard at Northolt station?
(a) A white raincoat.
(b) A green jacket.
(c) A black suit.
(d) A red dress.
3. Who tells Ballard that there is "a certain moral virtue in being materialistic"?
(a) Catherine Ballard.
(b) Vera Seagrave.
(c) Robert Vaughan.
(d) Helen Remington.
4. What kind of films did Ballard and Catherine see at the small art-cinema near their home?
(a) Amercian avant-garde and American blockbusters.
(b) French avant-garde and American blockbusters.
(c) German sex instruction and American blockbusters.
(d) American avant-garde and German sex instruction.
5. How many cars did Ballard miss before hitting the one that kills a man?
6. What kind of car does Catherine drive?
(a) A minivan.
(b) A large sedan.
(c) A sports car.
(d) A truck.
7. How many weeks does Ballard stay in the hospital after the crash in Chapter 2?
8. Why did Ballard have his safety belt on when leaving his secretary, Renata, before the crash?
(a) To avoid her the embarrassment of having to embrace him.
(b) To avoid getting a ticket from the police.
(c) To prevent being injured should he get into a car crash.
(d) To prevent him from the temptation of crashing into another car.
9. Who does Ballard take to the stock-car races in the stadium at Northolt?
(c) His wife.
10. According to Ballard at the end of Chapter 2, the radiator grills of their cars resembled what?
(a) A "protective grimace."
(b) A "peaceful sleep."
(c) A "positive force."
(d) A "perverse union."
11. What is Vaughan's scientific subject?
(a) Chemistry specialist in dark matter.
(b) Biology specialist in human reproduction.
(c) Physics specialist in atom collision.
(d) Computer specialist in traffic systems.
12. When the young wife of the man killed in the crash with Ballard exits her car, what does she do?
13. What pictures is Ballard's passenger looking at when they arrive at the scene of his accident that killed Helen's husband?
(a) Pictures of car crashes.
(b) Pictures of naked women.
(c) Pictures of famine victims.
(d) Pictures of beauty products.
14. On their driving excursions to look for accident sites, what does Vaughan describe to Ballard?
(a) "Countless regrets and disappointments."
(b) "Countless dreams of redemption."
(c) "Countless love affairs."
(d) "Countless imaginary disasters."
15. What verdict is given at the coroner's inquest of Ballard's crash with Helen and her husband?
(b) Accidental death.
(d) Negligent driving.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ballard, what do the scars above his patella replicate?
2. What kind of airline pilot removes the young wife from the crash with Ballard?
3. The walls of Vaughan's apartment are covered with close-ups of whose body?
4. The firemen who cut Ballard's door from its hinges looked like what according to Ballard?
5. Who witnessed Ballard inappropriately touch a flight attendant on an escalator and were on his flight to Orly?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)