|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ballard, Catherine's driving becomes what after his release from the hospital?
2. Who does Ballard witness an argument between in the woman's ward of the hospital?
(a) A sister in charge and doctor.
(b) A doctor and a nurse.
(c) A patient and her sister.
(d) A sister in charge and a nurse.
3. As Ballard is taken to the hospital after his crash, he recalls that "Vaughan collected the _____of ________nurses in his photographic albums."
(a) Grimaces; casualty.
(b) Grimaces; emergency.
(c) Smiles; casualty.
(d) Smiles; emergency.
4. Who is the driver parked behind Ballard at the scene of the accident that killed Helen's husband?
(a) The doctor from Helen's room at the hospital.
(b) The doctor who performed his surgery.
(c) The nurse from his room at the hospital.
(d) The firemen who pulled him out of his car.
5. On their driving excursions to look for accident sites, what does Vaughan describe to Ballard?
(a) "Countless imaginary disasters."
(b) "Countless regrets and disappointments."
(c) "Countless dreams of redemption."
(d) "Countless love affairs."
6. The firemen who cut Ballard's door from its hinges looked like what according to Ballard?
(a) Actors in a one-act play.
(b) Athletes in a football game.
(c) Accomplices in a jewelry heist.
(d) Assistants of a gored bullfighter.
7. After the crash, Ballard states that an "uneasy _____ carried me towards the hospital."
8. According to Ballard, Vaughan's relations with women were all governed by what?
(a) "Obsessive games."
(b) "Repressed desires."
(c) "Sexist ideas."
(d) "Violent fantasies."
9. Why does Ballard recognize the man taking pictures of him as Vaughan?
(a) Because he is a notorious criminal.
(b) Because he is a famous writer.
(c) Because he is a TV star.
(d) Because he is a government official.
10. What does Ballard realize about his first meeting with Vaughan?
(a) That his motive for following him has something to do with blackmail, but not revenge.
(b) That his motives for following him have everything to do with revenge and blackmail.
(c) That his motives for following him have nothing to do with revenge or blackmail.
(d) That his motive for following him has something to do with revenge, but not blackmail.
11. When Ballard first sees Helen at the hospital, what is the scarred man wearing under his lab coat?
(a) A brass medallion.
(b) A copper emblem.
(c) A silver tag.
(d) A gold cross.
12. Why would Vaughan arrange women in stylized positions in cars?
(a) To paint them.
(b) To photograph them.
(c) To write about them.
(d) To film them.
13. As Ballard drives home with Catherine after being released from the hospital, how does the image of a car change for him after his accident?
(a) Its purpose remained elusive.
(b) It contained multiple identities.
(c) It became an object of fear.
(d) Its true nature had been exposed.
14. What premonitions does Ballard begin to have after being released from the hospital?
(a) The return to a pre-industrial age.
(b) The second coming of Jesus.
(c) The end of the world by automobile.
(d) The salvation of sinners everywhere.
15. When the young wife of the man killed in the crash with Ballard exits her car, what does she do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of commercial did Ballard prepare that he hoped to use a well-known actress for?
2. According to Ballard at the end of Chapter 2, the radiator grills of their cars resembled what?
3. Why is Ballard skeptical about Helen working for the Road Research Laboratory?
4. According to Ballard, why did Vaughan's former career come to an abrupt end?
5. Who did Vaughan collide with two months earlier when he lurched from a concealed access road?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)