|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vaughan rehearse for in the days before his death?
(a) His own death.
(b) A one-man show.
(c) Ballard's murder.
(d) His wedding.
2. On their driving excursions to look for accident sites, what does Vaughan describe to Ballard?
(a) "Countless dreams of redemption."
(b) "Countless regrets and disappointments."
(c) "Countless imaginary disasters."
(d) "Countless love affairs."
3. At Northolt station, why does Helen ask Ballard to take her to the airport?
(a) Because she works in the immigration department.
(b) Because she is picking up a friend from America.
(c) Because she is taking a vacation to Spain.
(d) Because she likes to see the planes take off and land.
4. The firemen who cut Ballard's door from its hinges looked like what according to Ballard?
(a) Athletes in a football game.
(b) Assistants of a gored bullfighter.
(c) Actors in a one-act play.
(d) Accomplices in a jewelry heist.
5. When Ballard is lifted onto the stretcher after the crash, how does he feel?
(a) Guilty about causing a man to die.
(b) Relieved that he wasn't seriously injured.
(c) Isolated from the reality of the accident.
(d) Aroused at seeing the young wife.
6. Who is the driver parked behind Ballard at the scene of the accident that killed Helen's husband?
(a) The doctor who performed his surgery.
(b) The firemen who pulled him out of his car.
(c) The nurse from his room at the hospital.
(d) The doctor from Helen's room at the hospital.
7. What word does Ballard repeat several times in his description of the car crash at the beginning of the book?
8. What pictures is Ballard's passenger looking at when they arrive at the scene of his accident that killed Helen's husband?
(a) Pictures of famine victims.
(b) Pictures of car crashes.
(c) Pictures of beauty products.
(d) Pictures of naked women.
9. What is the name of Catherine's secretary whom she asks Ballard to visualize her having intercourse with?
10. Who witnessed Ballard inappropriately touch a flight attendant on an escalator and were on his flight to Orly?
(a) An American businessman and his wife.
(b) A British businessman and his wife.
(c) A French businessman and his wife.
(d) A Dutch businessman and his wife.
11. According to Ballard, what happens on the fourth day in the hospital "for no evident reason"?
(a) The nurses harrass him.
(b) The anesthetics are withdrawn.
(c) The doctors don't come.
(d) The IV fluids are taken.
12. What is Vaughan's scientific subject?
(a) Biology specialist in human reproduction.
(b) Chemistry specialist in dark matter.
(c) Computer specialist in traffic systems.
(d) Physics specialist in atom collision.
13. What does Ballard note about the Lincoln Continental Vaughan drives?
(a) It is the same make as the one Elizabeth Taylor drives.
(b) It is the same make as Ballard's car.
(c) It is the same make of the one in which President Kennedy died.
(d) It is the same make as Catherine's car.
14. Why does Ballard visit the Northolt police pound?
(a) To see the police.
(b) To pay a fine.
(c) To see Vaughan.
(d) To see his car.
15. When Ballard goes to the garage, what does he see on a rear window sill that reminds him of his own personal possessions scattered on the floor of his car after the crash?
(a) A necktie.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A purse.
(d) A briefcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. The walls of Vaughan's apartment are covered with close-ups of whose body?
2. What does Ballard do for the week after being released from the hospital?
3. What happens to Ballard three days after his surgery in the hospital?
4. What is the name of the place where Vaughan and Ballard watch vehicles crash into concrete blocks?
5. According to Ballard, the young wife of the man killed in the car crash stared at him with a look that resembled a ________in an Early Renaissance icon.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)