|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ballard, why does the young wife who is removed from her car after the crash resemble a "mentally defective girl" he once saw perform in a play?
(a) Because the young wife's crying sounds like the girl's singing.
(b) Because the young wife's legs look like the girl's pirouette.
(c) Because the young wife's wounds look like the girl's scars.
(d) Because the young wife's expression looks like the girl's face.
2. As Ballard is taken to the hospital after his crash, he recalls that "Vaughan collected the _____of ________nurses in his photographic albums."
(a) Smiles; casualty.
(b) Grimaces; casualty.
(c) Smiles; emergency.
(d) Grimaces; emergency.
3. In the hospital, what contained the "hundred histories of collision and bereavement" according to Ballard?
(a) The broken wheelchairs.
(b) The covered gurneys.
(c) The empty beds.
(d) The full IV bags.
4. On their driving excursions to look for accident sites, what does Vaughan describe to Ballard?
(a) "Countless regrets and disappointments."
(b) "Countless dreams of redemption."
(c) "Countless love affairs."
(d) "Countless imaginary disasters."
5. What did Vaughan steal from Ballard ten days before Vaughan's death?
(a) His wife.
(b) His car.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His job.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ballard, what do the scars above his patella replicate?
2. What kind of airline pilot removes the young wife from the crash with Ballard?
3. When Ballard first sees Helen at the hospital, what is the scarred man wearing under his lab coat?
4. What injuries does Ballard sustain after the crash?
5. Why did Ballard have his safety belt on when leaving his secretary, Renata, before the crash?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)