|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amari offer respect to the animals and vegetation they eat in Part Seven?
(a) She asks permission and says "thank you" to everything before picking it or killing it for food.
(b) She only hunts and gathers on certain days of the week.
(c) She refuses to eat or kill anything for her own use.
(d) She performs a funeral service for all they eat.
2. Who finds the children in the abandoned hunting shack in Part Nine?
(a) Fiona O'Reilly.
(b) Isabelle Derby.
(c) Clay Derby.
(d) Nathan's father.
3. Whom do the children discover living on the O'Reilly farm in Part Nine?
4. What geographical feature of Spanish territory reminds Amari of Africa?
(a) Palm trees.
(c) Dirt paths.
5. Why does Amari choose to go south rather than north in Part SEven?
(a) Amari chooses the easier option.
(b) Amari does not like the cold in the north.
(c) Amari knows that Afi is on a plantation to the south.
(d) Amari trusts Cato.
6. What excuse will Dr. Hoskins give for losing the slaves and the servant?
(a) He will blame a storm.
(b) He will say they escaped while he slept.
(c) He will say they attacked him.
(d) He will blame highwaymen.
7. Where is Inez's husband, Jasper?
(a) He is now fighting for the Spanish.
(b) He is still in Georgia.
(c) There is no Jasper.
(d) He did not make it to Fort Mose.
8. What do the stars symbolize for Amari in Part Seven?
(a) That there is still light in this world.
(b) That she remains on the same earth as she once did in Africa.
(c) That God is shining down on them.
(d) That she is guided by the spirit of Kwasi.
9. What is Tidbit's main concern in Part Seven?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He wants to rest.
(c) He wants Hushpuppy to be safe.
(d) He misses his mother.
10. What image does Polly use in Part Seven to describe freedom?
(a) A flag that waves high.
(b) A dream that can never be attained.
(c) A path that is difficult to travel.
(d) A beautiful leaf that is hard to catch.
11. What job does Captain Menendez envision for Polly?
12. What information does Domingo Salvador NOT provide the children in Part Ten?
(a) They are near the St. Marys River.
(b) He must turn them in before they reach St. Augustine.
(c) King Philip of Spain does not believe in slavery.
(d) Freed slaves and Native Americans are welcome at Fort Mose.
13. What does Fiona tell the children about her desire to help them?
(a) She has to check with her husband before she can help them.
(b) She wants to make the choice to help them be free.
(c) She does not want to become entangled in legal affairs.
(d) She will turn them in in the morning.
14. What does King Philip want from the citizens of Fort Mose?
(a) Indentured servanthood.
(b) Communal living.
(c) Catholic converts.
(d) Protection for St. Augustine.
15. What does Nathan tell Polly, Tidbit and Amari about Fort Mose?
(a) That slavery is just as prominent there as anywhere else.
(b) That he has never heard of it.
(c) That it was recently captured by the Confederates.
(d) That it is a real place of freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inez say that everyone is able to live peacefully in Fort Mose?
2. When the children realize they must traverse a swamp in Part Eight, what is a reaction they do NOT have?
3. How do the children feel about their encounter with Clay at the end of Part Seven?
4. What food most likely makes Polly, Tidbit and Amari sick in Part Seven?
5. What advice does Polly give Amari about Besa in Part Ten?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)