|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Inez's husband, Jasper?
(a) He is still in Georgia.
(b) He is now fighting for the Spanish.
(c) There is no Jasper.
(d) He did not make it to Fort Mose.
2. Why does Clay chase after Amari in Part Seven, after having trailed the children for days?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He views her as a possession.
(c) He worries about her safety.
(d) He needs her to cook for him.
3. Of whom does Captain Menendez remind Amari?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. What advice does Polly give Amari about Besa in Part Ten?
(a) That she should hold onto hope that he will gain freedom.
(b) That seeing him has probably scarred her for life.
(c) That maybe one day they will be able to be married.
(d) That seeing him in such a state could give her the stamina necessary to carry on.
5. What job does Captain Menendez envision for Polly?
6. How does Dr. Hoskins feel about the murders they witnessed?
(a) He feels that, since they were slaves, they had no rights to begin with.
(b) He feels that, to be loyal to his friend, he must complete his promise.
(c) He feels that, having been silent, he is also guilty.
(d) He feels that, since they lied, Noah and Isabelle deserved punishment.
7. Whom do the children discover living on the O'Reilly farm in Part Nine?
8. What excuse will Dr. Hoskins give for losing the slaves and the servant?
(a) He will say they escaped while he slept.
(b) He will say they attacked him.
(c) He will blame highwaymen.
(d) He will blame a storm.
9. What advice does Fiona NOT offer the children about getting to Fort Mose?
(a) Travel by night.
(b) Go north to the Underground Railroad.
(c) Pretend Amari and Tidbit are Polly's slaves.
(d) Head south to Spanish territory.
10. What is a freedom Inez does NOT say she enjoys?
(a) The freedom to feel hunger.
(b) The freedom to sacrifice members of her family for the cause.
(c) The freedom to live in luxury.
(d) The freedom to work hard.
11. What is the cause of Mr. Derby's death?
(b) Alligator attack.
(c) Heart attack.
12. When Amari reminds Polly that, because she is white, the indentured girl has a choice about which way to go, how does Polly respond?
(a) She takes off on her own.
(b) She chooses to stay because of Tidbit.
(c) She threatens to shoot Amari.
(d) She says that they all need one another.
13. What food most likely makes Polly, Tidbit and Amari sick in Part Seven?
14. How does Amari offer respect to the animals and vegetation they eat in Part Seven?
(a) She asks permission and says "thank you" to everything before picking it or killing it for food.
(b) She refuses to eat or kill anything for her own use.
(c) She only hunts and gathers on certain days of the week.
(d) She performs a funeral service for all they eat.
15. What information does Domingo Salvador NOT provide the children in Part Ten?
(a) King Philip of Spain does not believe in slavery.
(b) They are near the St. Marys River.
(c) He must turn them in before they reach St. Augustine.
(d) Freed slaves and Native Americans are welcome at Fort Mose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the real-life Captain Menendez?
2. What new decision does Amari reveal to Tidbit and Polly early on their journey in Part Seven?
3. Who finds the children in the abandoned hunting shack in Part Nine?
4. What is Tidbit's given name?
5. What giant animal lurks outside the children's cave in Part Seven?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)