|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Domingo Salvador NOT provide the children in Part Ten?
(a) Freed slaves and Native Americans are welcome at Fort Mose.
(b) They are near the St. Marys River.
(c) He must turn them in before they reach St. Augustine.
(d) King Philip of Spain does not believe in slavery.
2. How does Captain Menendez address Polly, Amari, and Tidbit?
(a) "Responsible" (291).
(b) "Spanish" (291).
(c) "My children" (291).
(d) "English" (291).
3. Which best describes how Amari feels once they are across the St. Mary's River?
4. What job does Captain Menendez envision for Polly?
5. As it is revealed in Part Eleven, why has Amari been so tired and sick throughout their journey?
(a) She is feeling guilty.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is dehydrated.
(d) She has food poisoning.
6. What gift does Fiona NOT provide the children?
7. When the children realize they must traverse a swamp in Part Eight, what is a reaction they do NOT have?
(a) "Gators" (247).
(b) "Safety" (247).
(c) "Dead" (247).
(d) "Snakes" (247).
8. Whom do the children discover living on the O'Reilly farm in Part Nine?
9. What does Nathan tell Polly, Tidbit and Amari about Fort Mose?
(a) That slavery is just as prominent there as anywhere else.
(b) That it is a real place of freedom.
(c) That it was recently captured by the Confederates.
(d) That he has never heard of it.
10. What excuse will Dr. Hoskins give for losing the slaves and the servant?
(a) He will blame a storm.
(b) He will say they escaped while he slept.
(c) He will say they attacked him.
(d) He will blame highwaymen.
11. How do the children cross the St. Mary's River in Part Eleven?
(a) They turn back without crossing it.
(b) They cross a foot bridge.
(c) They locate a canoe.
(d) They ride atop Brownie.
12. How do Polly, Tidbit and Amari approach the entrance to Fort Mose?
(a) They hide behind trees.
(b) They all join hands.
(c) They run quickly.
(d) They wait until nightfall.
13. Where is Inez's husband, Jasper?
(a) There is no Jasper.
(b) He is still in Georgia.
(c) He is now fighting for the Spanish.
(d) He did not make it to Fort Mose.
14. What food most likely makes Polly, Tidbit and Amari sick in Part Seven?
15. Why does Amari choose to go south rather than north in Part SEven?
(a) Amari chooses the easier option.
(b) Amari does not like the cold in the north.
(c) Amari trusts Cato.
(d) Amari knows that Afi is on a plantation to the south.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does Captain Menendez remind Amari?
2. How does Amari offer respect to the animals and vegetation they eat in Part Seven?
3. How do the children feel about their encounter with Clay at the end of Part Seven?
4. Who was the real-life Captain Menendez?
5. Who keeps reminding Polly, Tidbit and Amari that they are a unit that must stick together in Part Seven?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)