|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Three: Amari.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sounds does Amari hear one night as she walks along the path to Teenie's kitchen in Part Three?
(a) Polly crying over the deaths of her parents.
(b) The voice of Clay Derby calling for her.
(c) The sounds of hound dogs searching the fields.
(d) A tense conversation between an unnamed man and woman.
2. Why must Besa leave Amari so quickly in Part One?
(a) He is on his way to his family dinner.
(b) He has work to complete.
(c) He has seen some white men coming toward the village.
(d) He does not like to speak much with Amari.
3. Which of the following is NOT true about Polly's mother?
(a) She loved Polly's father.
(b) She was an orphan.
(c) She had trouble getting paid work because of the reliance on slave labor.
(d) She wanted a simple life for Polly.
4. Which fact is true about Polly's father?
(a) He was a drunk.
(b) Polly never knew him.
(c) He was an unkind man.
(d) He died of consumption.
5. How does Clay respond to Polly's questions and ability to read in Part Two?
(a) He tells her she should talk to Mr. Derby.
(b) He kindly answers her questions.
(c) He ignores her completely.
(d) He tells her that women should know their place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women die during the big storm while crossing the ocean in Part One?
2. What "skill" does Amari possess that makes her valuable?
3. What role does Besa play in the celebration in Part One?
4. How does the woman whom Amari befriends in the holding area know so much about what is to come for the newly-captured Ewe people?
5. What happens to the mother and daughter who jumped from the small boat?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)