|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Four: Polly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a clue that Amari can understand Polly's English?
(a) She shrugs when Polly asks a question.
(b) Her facial expressions are clear and meaningful.
(c) She repeats that her name is Myna.
(d) She repeats the word slave clearly.
2. Which fact is true about Polly's father?
(a) Polly never knew him.
(b) He was a drunk.
(c) He died of consumption.
(d) He was an unkind man.
3. Which of the following is a metaphor to describe the kente cloth?
(a) "She clutched it all the way 'cross the big water" (114).
(b) "My little breath of Africa" (114).
(c) "She buried it not far from that tree yonder" (114).
(d) "This little piece of it came off in her hand" (114).
4. What is the average life span of a slave?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 3 years.
5. Why does Teenie not know her exact age?
(a) She is too young to be aware of her age.
(b) She has never cared about age.
(c) Her mother taught her that a woman should never tell her age.
(d) Slaves' birthdays often were not recorded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ship containing the kidnapped Ewe people make landfall in Part One?
2. What foods does Teenie make that remind Amari of Africa?
3. What sounds does Amari hear one night as she walks along the path to Teenie's kitchen in Part Three?
4. How do the white people at the slave auction in Part One act toward the slaves?
5. In Part Four, what future does Cato foresee for Myna?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)