|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Four: Polly.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Polly's indenture sentence?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 14 years.
(c) For life.
(d) 29 years.
2. How does Mr. Derby make his wealth?
3. What role does Besa play in the celebration in Part One?
(a) He serves the food.
(b) He welcomes the guests.
(c) He plays drums.
(d) He stands by silently.
4. How do the white people at the slave auction in Part One act toward the slaves?
(a) With intense interest.
(b) With cool detachment.
(c) With utter hatred.
(d) With extreme pity.
5. Why does Amari choose to focus on "learning the language of the white man" (54)?
(a) To help herself.
(b) To make the sailor happy.
(c) So the men will not beat her.
(d) So she can work on self-improvement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Mrs. Derby seem to be?
2. How much space does each slave have below deck on the ship?
3. How many villagers survived the killing field in Part One?
4. What happens to the mother and daughter who jumped from the small boat?
5. How does Noah act at dinner in Part 4?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)