|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By ___________ the cathedral is completed.
2. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
3. The flying buttresses of the choir are completed and the centerings are readied for ___________.
4. The cathedral is mostly complete and has taken how many years to build thus far?
5. What is the purpose of this pattern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has taken place by 1332? What has taken place by 1338?
2. What are cast for the cathedral? How are they unique?
3. Describe the cathedral's three huge doors.
4. Describe the bells in the belfry.
5. Describe the workings of the great wheel.
6. What happens in 1306?
7. Describe the construction of the roof.
8. What happens to the Bishop in 1281?
9. How is the ceiling constructed?
10. Describe the creation of the spire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cathedral has three huge doors.
Part 1) Describe these doors. How are they made?
Part 2) Why are they so large? How is the structure made to support these large doors?
Part 3) How might you feel walking in through this cathedral's large doors? How do these doors affect the aesthetics of the entire cathedral?
Essay Topic 2
The spire is completed in 1331.
Part 1) What is the spire? What is the purpose of a spire?
Part 2) What might the spire signify to the people in regards to the cathedral?
Part 3) What other aspects of the cathedral stand out? What purpose do these architectural details serve?
Essay Topic 3
God was important to the people of the 12th century.
Part 1) Describe his importance. Why was He important?
Part 2) How does His importance lead to the building of this cathedral? What aspects of this cathedral are made to honor Him?
Part 3) How do people show the importance of their religious beliefs today? How does this compare to the 12th century?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)