|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1280, the choir of the cathedral is ready to receive ___________.
2. The axle of the device is attached to what?
3. The stones that comprise the ribs of the vaulted ceiling are called ___________.
4. The glass makers then take a molten lump of glass on the end of a large hollow pipe and do what with it?
5. Once the mold is broken away, revealing the finished bell, the bells are shipped to the cathedral and hoisted into ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wiliam of Planz replaced?
2. When is the cathedral ready for the vaulted ceiling? What foundation is also built at the same time?
3. How tall is the vaulted ceiling? What is used to support this massive structure?
4. What happens to the Bishop in 1281?
5. Describe the drain pipes.
6. How are the bells finished?
7. Describe the glass for this cathedral and how it is installed.
8. How does the casting process for the bells begin? What is the purpose of the wax?
9. Describe the cathedral's three huge doors.
10. What happens in 1306?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many artisans were used in the building of this cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the various groups of artisans. How did they help to construct this cathedral?
Part 2) What might the training for these craftsman be like? How might this compare to similar craftsmen's training today?
Part 3) Are these types of artisans used in building projects today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
God was important to the people of the 12th century.
Part 1) Describe his importance. Why was He important?
Part 2) How does His importance lead to the building of this cathedral? What aspects of this cathedral are made to honor Him?
Part 3) How do people show the importance of their religious beliefs today? How does this compare to the 12th century?
Essay Topic 3
The spire is completed in 1331.
Part 1) What is the spire? What is the purpose of a spire?
Part 2) What might the spire signify to the people in regards to the cathedral?
Part 3) What other aspects of the cathedral stand out? What purpose do these architectural details serve?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)