|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The glass is removed from the pipe and _________.
2. By 1332 the___________________, of the cathedral is nearly complete.
3. The exterior of the wax is then carved into to create ___________.
4. In what year is the spire completed?
5. How many years has it been since construction began?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the glass makers create the various shapes of glass?
2. What happens to the Bishop in 1281?
3. How tall is the vaulted ceiling? What is used to support this massive structure?
4. What are cast for the cathedral? How are they unique?
5. Describe the creation of the spire.
6. How does the casting process for the bells begin? What is the purpose of the wax?
7. What has taken place by 1332? What has taken place by 1338?
8. How are the bells finished?
9. When is the cathedral ready for the vaulted ceiling? What foundation is also built at the same time?
10. What do the glass makers begin in 1302? Of what is this made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plans for the cathedral are much like other Gothic cathedrals.
Part 1) Describe the cathedral's plans. How are they like the plans for other Gothic cathedrals?
Part 2) Are buildings constructed in this style today? Why or why not? How might the planning process be different for a Gothic cathedral today?
Part 3) Compare Gothic architecture to modern architecture. What similarities exist? What are the differences?
Essay Topic 2
Training and discipline were required for the successful completion of this cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the training necessary for a project such as this. Could artisans today build it in a similar way? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why is discipline necessary? Is this type of discipline found in projects today? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this project and its completion after eighty-six years?
Essay Topic 3
Many artisans were used in the building of this cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the various groups of artisans. How did they help to construct this cathedral?
Part 2) What might the training for these craftsman be like? How might this compare to similar craftsmen's training today?
Part 3) Are these types of artisans used in building projects today? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)