|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The flying buttresses of the choir are completed and the centerings are readied for ___________.
2. In 1302 the glass makers begin to make the colored glass for ___________.
3. The stones that comprise the ribs of the vaulted ceiling are called ___________.
4. The down spouts are stone sculptures made to look like ___________.
5. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God was important to the people of the 12th century.
Part 1) Describe his importance. Why was He important?
Part 2) How does His importance lead to the building of this cathedral? What aspects of this cathedral are made to honor Him?
Part 3) How do people show the importance of their religious beliefs today? How does this compare to the 12th century?
Essay Topic 2
The plans for the cathedral are much like other Gothic cathedrals.
Part 1) Describe the cathedral's plans. How are they like the plans for other Gothic cathedrals?
Part 2) Are buildings constructed in this style today? Why or why not? How might the planning process be different for a Gothic cathedral today?
Part 3) Compare Gothic architecture to modern architecture. What similarities exist? What are the differences?
Essay Topic 3
The organizing of the building of this cathedral is very precise and orderly.
Part 1) Describe the steps involved in designing and constructing this cathedral? How is each step important?
Part 2) How is each aspect of the building project connected to another? How important is one step to another? Are there any flaws in this plan? If so, what are they? If not, how are there no flaws?
Part 3) Are the building projects as organized today? Why or why not? Are they as laborious? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)