|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Construction continues through ________ when the transept and most of its vaulting is completed.
2. Historically, did many such work stoppages occur in cathedral building?
3. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
4. What do the people do during this time to raise money?
5. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the webbing has set hard?
2. When is the transept and most of its vaulting completed?
3. What takes place while the windows are being installed?
4. Describe the construction of the roof.
5. What do the glass makers begin in 1302? Of what is this made?
6. How does the casting process for the bells begin? What is the purpose of the wax?
7. Describe the drain pipes.
8. What is the step that takes place after the ribs are completed?
9. What happens in 1306?
10. What are vassoirs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All work on the cathedral stops in 1306.
Part 1) Why does all the work stop? How does this stoppage compare to others during the Middle Ages?
Part 2) How are the people of Chutreaux lucky? How do they help to bring this luck upon themselves?
Part 3) What does this stoppage say about perseverance and the desire of the people to see this cathedral completed?
Essay Topic 2
A great wheel is used to hoist supplies for the vaulted ceiling.
Part 1) Describe this great wheel. How does it work to hoist supplies? What other machines are used to make the building of this cathedral possible?
Part 2) What does this machine reveal about the technology of the time? How does it compare to the technology of today?
Part 3) How have these early machines influenced the machines of today?
Essay Topic 3
God was important to the people of the 12th century.
Part 1) Describe his importance. Why was He important?
Part 2) How does His importance lead to the building of this cathedral? What aspects of this cathedral are made to honor Him?
Part 3) How do people show the importance of their religious beliefs today? How does this compare to the 12th century?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)