|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
2. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
3. The moldings and capitals are also finished and stone slabs are laid on the floor in what pattern?
4. Wooden arches, like ____________, are placed from pier to pier.
5. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has the project taken thus far? How important are the illustrations in this section?
2. What are vassoirs?
3. How are the bells finished?
4. Describe the bells in the belfry.
5. What takes place while the windows are being installed?
6. When is the transept and most of its vaulting completed?
7. What is the step that takes place after the ribs are completed?
8. How is the ceiling constructed?
9. What happens after the webbing has set hard?
10. What has taken place by 1332? What has taken place by 1338?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The spire is completed in 1331.
Part 1) What is the spire? What is the purpose of a spire?
Part 2) What might the spire signify to the people in regards to the cathedral?
Part 3) What other aspects of the cathedral stand out? What purpose do these architectural details serve?
Essay Topic 2
A rose window is created.
Part 1) What is a rose window? Why is it created? How is it created?
Part 2) What other aspects of the cathedral have more than a purely functional purpose?
Part 3) Is architecture today as aesthetically pleasing as these Gothic cathedrals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The walls of the choir are constructed in three phases.
Part 1) What are these three phases? How are these three phases necessary?
Part 2) What are three other steps involved when making the walls of the cathedral? Why are these steps also necessary?
Part 3) How are these various steps and phases necessary when adding a roof to the structure?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)