|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
2. As the new cathedral is to be enormous, the foundation is dug to what depth?
3. What is this locale equipped with?
4. In the spring of _________ the Bishop of Chutreaux blesses the first foundation stone and it is lowered into the excavated foundations.
5. What does each master craftsman then establish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes the tools?
2. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
3. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
4. Describe the building of the scaffolding.
5. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
6. What does the wall elevation show?
7. What happens once the site is cleared?
8. What takes place once the foundation is completed?
9. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
10. What is done with the cut limestone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plans for the cathedral are much like other Gothic cathedrals.
Part 1) Describe the cathedral's plans. How are they like the plans for other Gothic cathedrals?
Part 2) Are buildings constructed in this style today? Why or why not? How might the planning process be different for a Gothic cathedral today?
Part 3) Compare Gothic architecture to modern architecture. What similarities exist? What are the differences?
Essay Topic 2
A rose window is created.
Part 1) What is a rose window? Why is it created? How is it created?
Part 2) What other aspects of the cathedral have more than a purely functional purpose?
Part 3) Is architecture today as aesthetically pleasing as these Gothic cathedrals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1280 is a year that marks a huge transitional period in the construction of the cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the events that take place during this year. How is this a transitional period?
Part 2) Why is work not interrupted? What does this say about the organization of this project?
Part 3) What other periods of significance exist in the building of this cathedral? How are these periods significant?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)