|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the mortar cures, what happens?
2. What happens to a portion of the Bishop's palace?
3. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
4. Each _____________ is mortared together.
5. In the spring of _________ the Bishop of Chutreaux blesses the first foundation stone and it is lowered into the excavated foundations.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the drain pipes.
2. Describe the building of the scaffolding.
3. How is the ceiling constructed?
4. Who is William in charge of hiring?
5. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
6. How long has the project taken thus far? How important are the illustrations in this section?
7. Describe the creation of the spire.
8. How much more work is done until the roof is begun?
9. How many men have been employed in this project so far? How long has this project been in process?
10. How tall is the vaulted ceiling? What is used to support this massive structure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many artisans were used in the building of this cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the various groups of artisans. How did they help to construct this cathedral?
Part 2) What might the training for these craftsman be like? How might this compare to similar craftsmen's training today?
Part 3) Are these types of artisans used in building projects today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
By 1338, the cathedral is completed.
Part 1) Summarize the process for building this cathedral. How does this new knowledge, as a whole affect you? What are your thoughts on this building project?
Part 2) How might the people of this town feel about the completion of this cathedral? Was all the work and money worth it? Why or why not?
Part 3) Are building projects today as monumental and important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Training and discipline were required for the successful completion of this cathedral.
Part 1) Describe the training necessary for a project such as this. Could artisans today build it in a similar way? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why is discipline necessary? Is this type of discipline found in projects today? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this project and its completion after eighty-six years?
This section contains 1,950 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)