|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the men walk so the axle turns and winds up ________, lifting very heavy loads from the floor.
(a) Very tight.
(b) The rope.
(c) The wall.
(d) A leather strap.
2. A tympanum, or ________________, is created to go above each door.
(b) Down spout.
(d) Semicircular sculpted panel.
3. The down spouts are stone sculptures made to look like ___________.
(a) Stoic saints.
(b) Angelic cherubs.
(c) Frightening monsters.
(d) Beautiful angels.
4. This unique device is essentially a man-sized __________ that is operated by one or two men who walk around the inside of it.
5. By 1330 what is finally completed?
(a) The pews.
(b) The altar.
(c) The nave.
(d) The windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does this ceiling also require?
2. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
3. __________ drain pipes are located around the roof and lead to stone gutters across the flying buttresses.
4. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
5. How does he die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the glass for this cathedral and how it is installed.
2. How does the casting process for the bells begin? What is the purpose of the wax?
3. What are vassoirs?
4. How is the completion of the cathedral celebrated?
5. How do the glass makers create the various shapes of glass?
6. Describe the workings of the great wheel.
7. What is significant about 1311, 1329, and 1330?
8. When is the cathedral ready for the vaulted ceiling? What foundation is also built at the same time?
9. What has taken place by 1332? What has taken place by 1338?
10. What happens in 1306?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)