|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1280, the choir of the cathedral is ready to receive ___________.
(a) The vaulted ceiling.
(b) The roof.
(c) The stained glass windows.
(d) The crown molding.
2. Why are these wooden arches placed from pier to pier?
(a) To make the ceiling curve.
(b) To make the ceiling more aesthetically pleasing.
(c) To give the vaulted ceiling stone ribs support while the mortar cures.
(d) To give support to sculptures and light fixtures that are to hang from the vaulted ceiling.
3. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
4. In what year is the spire completed?
5. In 1281 who dies?
(a) The Bishop of Chutreaux.
(b) The architect.
(c) The King of France.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ drain pipes are located around the roof and lead to stone gutters across the flying buttresses.
2. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
3. How many years has it been since construction began?
4. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
5. The stones that comprise the ribs of the vaulted ceiling are called ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Bishop in 1281?
2. What happens in 1306?
3. How is the stone for the vaulted ceiling lifted?
4. What is the step that takes place after the ribs are completed?
5. Describe the creation of the spire.
6. What has taken place by 1332? What has taken place by 1338?
7. Why is Wiliam of Planz replaced?
8. How does the casting process for the bells begin? What is the purpose of the wax?
9. How are the bells finished?
10. How is the completion of the cathedral celebrated?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)