|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pieces of cut limestone are hoisted out of the quarry. What are they cut into shape to match?
(b) The stones from other cathedrals.
(c) The trim on the cathedral.
(d) The length of the wooden timbers.
2. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The pier.
(b) The trefoils.
(c) The triforium.
(d) The emporium.
3. Once the design has been approved the master carpenter takes about ___________ men into the forest of Chantilly and cuts timber.
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Twenty thousand.
(c) Two thousand.
4. Why are the new stonework and mortar covered in this?
(a) To decorate them.
(b) To keep them from cracking in the cold.
(c) To make them more appealing.
(d) To keep them from falling down.
5. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(c) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(d) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
2. Who leads the church in Chutreaux?
3. The piers of the choir of Chutreaux will be ________ feet high and six to eight feet thick.
4. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
5. Why is the answer to number 39 part of the preparation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has the cathedral been under construction at this point in the book?
2. Describe the buttresses and how they function.
3. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
4. What happens once the site is cleared?
5. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
6. Describe the three phases of the construction of the walls of the choir.
7. What does the floor plan show?
8. What is the job of each master craftsman?
9. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
10. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)