Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The flying buttresses work by transferring downward forces from the walls to ___________.
(a) The centerings.
(b) The hurdles.
(c) The piers.
(d) The buttresses.
2. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
3. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
4. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
(a) The woodworkers.
(b) The cooper.
(c) The wheelwright.
(d) The blacksmith.
5. Is Chutreaux, France a real place?
(b) Yes, but it is actually in England.
(d) Yes, but it was destroyed many centuries ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom are the drawings presented?
2. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
3. Why are the new stonework and mortar covered in this?
4. What halts construction for five months?
5. The stones are marked for what purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the glass makers create the various shapes of glass?
2. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
3. Describe the mortice-and-tenon construction method. How is this used in the construction of the cathedral?
4. When is the cathedral ready for the vaulted ceiling? What foundation is also built at the same time?
5. Describe the cathedral's three huge doors.
6. What happens to the Bishop in 1281?
7. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
8. How tall is the vaulted ceiling? What is used to support this massive structure?
9. Describe the glass for this cathedral and how it is installed.
10. Who is William in charge of hiring?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)