|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the walls filled with this?
(a) Concrete is stronger than stone.
(b) Solid stone walls would be too expensive.
(c) Some sort of insulation is needed to keep the cathdral a consistent temperature.
(d) It is very inexpensive.
2. In the spring of _________ the Bishop of Chutreaux blesses the first foundation stone and it is lowered into the excavated foundations.
3. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
4. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
5. How many staircases does Chutreaux have?
Short Answer Questions
1. William has much experience working on other cathedrals in _______________________.
2. This typical ________ architecture technique allowed the piers to remain thin relative to their height.
3. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
4. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
5. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place during the winter months?
2. Where is the roof located? Of what does it consist?
3. What is the job of each master craftsman?
4. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
5. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
6. Describe the building of the scaffolding.
7. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
8. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
9. Describe the transportation of the lumber and stone.
10. How long has the cathedral been under construction at this point in the book?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)