|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the site is cleared, the location of what are surveyed?
(a) The sanctuary and Bishop's palace.
(b) The altar and aisle.
(c) The apse and choir.
(d) The fellowship hall and choir.
2. During this time the new stonework and new in-place mortar are covered with what?
(a) A matting of straw and dung.
3. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
4. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
(a) The aisle.
(b) The triforium.
(c) The clerestory.
(d) The sanctuary.
5. From where does the cut stone come?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they cut limestone?
2. Once the design has been approved the master carpenter takes about ___________ men into the forest of Chantilly and cuts timber.
3. Where are most of these skilled workers drawn from?
4. What does each master craftsman then establish?
5. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once the site is cleared?
2. What does the floor plan show?
3. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
4. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
5. Describe the transportation of the lumber and stone.
6. What is done first to the site to prepare it for the building of the new cathedral?
7. What does the wall elevation show?
8. What is done with the cut limestone?
9. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
10. Why must many houses be demolished?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)