|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the mortar cures, what happens?
(a) The hurdles are removed.
(b) The centerings are removed.
(c) The framers are removed.
(d) The stilts are removed.
2. The arcade of piers rises how far from the foundation?
(a) One hundred feet.
(b) One hundred twenty.
(c) One hundred forty.
(d) Eighty feet.
3. Each _____________ is mortared together.
(b) Piece of glass.
4. Workmen reach the scaffolding by using ______________ built into the walls of the cathedral.
(a) The wooden circular staircases.
(b) An elevator.
(d) The stone circular staircases.
5. The chapter hires a ___________ architect named William of Planz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
2. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
3. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
4. _____________ later laborers in Chutreaux begin to clear the site of the new cathedral.
5. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has the cathedral been under construction at this point in the book?
2. Why must many houses be demolished?
3. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
4. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
5. What takes place once the foundation is completed?
6. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
7. What takes place during the winter months?
8. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
9. What does the floor plan show?
10. Describe the transportation of the lumber and stone.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)