|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
(a) The surrounding countryside.
(b) Other parts of France.
(c) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(d) Other countries in Europe.
2. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
(a) Wooden scaffolding.
(b) Wooden stairs.
(c) Wooden stilts.
(d) Wooden ladders.
3. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
(a) The cooper.
(b) The woodworkers.
(c) The wheelwright.
(d) The blacksmith.
4. After _______ more years of labor the walls of the choir and aisle are completed and work begins on the cathedral roof.
5. Why is the answer to number 39 part of the preparation?
(a) To aid in the construction of the roof.
(b) To produce tools and nails.
(c) To aid in the raising of walls.
(d) To produce tools and scaffolding.
Short Answer Questions
1. The foundation is built to ___________ standards.
2. The foundation for the apse and choir is completed after about how many months of work?
3. Where do they cut limestone?
4. The chapter hires a ___________ architect named William of Planz.
5. Once the mortar cures, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place once the foundation is completed?
2. How many men have been employed in this project so far? How long has this project been in process?
3. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
4. Describe the buttresses and how they function.
5. What does the floor plan show?
6. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
7. Describe the mortice-and-tenon construction method. How is this used in the construction of the cathedral?
8. How do the workmen reach the scaffolding?
9. What takes place during the winter months?
10. Describe the building of the scaffolding.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)