|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The walls are complex and consist of piers, or _________, that support the vault and roof.
2. Who does the master craftsman take on?
(a) Other architects.
(b) Apprentices and assistants.
(c) The chapter.
(d) Other master craftsmen.
3. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(b) The most specialized.
(d) Very few.
4. By this time some work continues inside ___________.
(a) The nearby houses.
(b) The various workshops.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The Bishop's palace.
5. Eventually the chapels in the apse are finished and __________________ of the choir are nearly finished.
(a) The centerings and piers.
(b) The hurdles and piers.
(c) The centerings and butresses.
(d) The piers and buttresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
2. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
3. As the new cathedral is to be enormous, the foundation is dug to what depth?
4. _____________ later laborers in Chutreaux begin to clear the site of the new cathedral.
5. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
2. Why must many houses be demolished?
3. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
4. Describe the transportation of the lumber and stone.
5. Who is William in charge of hiring?
6. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
7. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
8. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
9. How long has the cathedral been under construction at this point in the book?
10. Who makes the tools?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)