|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the wall elevation show?
(a) The triforium, the centerings, the stairways, and the vaulting.
(b) The arcade, the triforium, the clerestory, and the vaulting.
(c) The arcade, the clerestory, the vaulting, and the centerings.
(d) The arcade, the stairways, the clerestory ,and the vaulting.
2. How many staircases does Chutreaux have?
3. Why are many houses demolished?
(a) The new cathedral is much larger than the old one.
(b) The houses are not pleasing to the eye.
(c) The new cathedral is in a different style from these homes.
(d) The owners have not paid their mortgages.
4. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
(a) Many meetings with the architect.
(b) Some basic tools.
(c) Approval from the people of Chutreaux.
(d) Various specialized tools.
5. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The pier.
(b) The emporium.
(c) The trefoils.
(d) The triforium.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
2. Pieces of cut limestone are hoisted out of the quarry. What are they cut into shape to match?
3. What does each master craftsman then establish?
4. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
5. Most of the walls are two vertical walls with a space between that is filled with ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
2. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
3. What takes place once the foundation is completed?
4. What does the carpenter do once the design has been approved?
5. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
6. How do the workmen reach the scaffolding?
7. How many men have been employed in this project so far? How long has this project been in process?
8. Describe the transportation of the lumber and stone.
9. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
10. What takes place during the winter months?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)