|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) To know where they will go.
(b) To decorate the stone.
(c) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(d) Tracking and remuneration.
2. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(c) Very few.
(d) Thousands of.
3. Where are most of these skilled workers drawn from?
(a) Neighboring kingdoms.
(b) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(c) Other countries.
(d) Around the world.
4. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The wheelwright.
(b) The blacksmith.
(c) The cooper.
(d) The carpenter.
5. The piers of the choir of Chutreaux will be ________ feet high and six to eight feet thick.
Short Answer Questions
1. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
2. The foundation for the apse and choir is completed after about how many months of work?
3. The masons place the stones while who mix and apply the mortar?
4. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
5. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
2. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
3. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
4. Describe the buttresses and how they function.
5. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
6. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
7. Who is William in charge of hiring?
8. Upon what are the flying buttresses built? Why?
9. Where is the roof located? Of what does it consist?
10. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)