|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
(a) The pattern of the brick.
(b) The stairs.
(c) The ribs of the vaulted ceiling.
(d) The location of windows.
2. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
(c) Wood chips.
(d) A stone framework with glass windows.
3. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
(a) By ships sailing through the ocean.
(b) By train through the countryside.
(c) By wagon along a dirt path.
(d) By ships sailing up the river.
4. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
5. In the spring of _________ the Bishop of Chutreaux blesses the first foundation stone and it is lowered into the excavated foundations.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
2. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
3. The master quarryman supervises about ____________ men cutting limestone.
4. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
5. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the transept and most of its vaulting completed?
2. How is the stone for the vaulted ceiling lifted?
3. What happens once the site is cleared?
4. How is the completion of the cathedral celebrated?
5. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
6. When is the cathedral ready for the vaulted ceiling? What foundation is also built at the same time?
7. Describe the drain pipes.
8. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
9. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
10. Upon what are the flying buttresses built? Why?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)