|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Thousands of.
(c) Very few.
2. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
(a) Because it is easier to build this way.
(b) Because the workmen are confused.
(c) Because it is safer hanging from the ceiling.
(d) Because it must go very high.
3. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(d) Crown molding.
4. These buttresses look like ___________.
(a) Drain pipes.
(b) Large columns.
(d) Large monsters.
5. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
(a) The King of France.
(b) The people of Chutreaux.
(c) A group of clergymen known as the chapter.
(d) A group of master craftsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
2. The stones are marked for what purposes?
3. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
4. After _______ more years of labor the walls of the choir and aisle are completed and work begins on the cathedral roof.
5. Who is William responsible for hiring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
2. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
3. How do the flying buttresses work?
4. What does the carpenter do once the design has been approved?
5. What takes place during the winter months?
6. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
7. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
8. Describe the three phases of the construction of the walls of the choir.
9. What is done with the cut limestone?
10. What is done first to the site to prepare it for the building of the new cathedral?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)