|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The flying buttresses work by transferring downward forces from the walls to ___________.
(a) The buttresses.
(b) The centerings.
(c) The piers.
(d) The hurdles.
2. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
(a) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(b) Other parts of France.
(c) Other countries in Europe.
(d) The surrounding countryside.
3. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(a) Crown molding.
4. Once the foundation is completed what are begun?
(a) The floor tiles.
(b) The Pews.
(c) The walls.
(d) The sculptures.
5. Each _____________ is mortared together.
(d) Piece of glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are many houses demolished?
2. The scaffolding holds hurdles, or ____________ made from woven sticks.
3. Pieces of cut limestone are hoisted out of the quarry. What are they cut into shape to match?
4. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
5. These buttresses look like ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes the tools?
2. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
3. What takes place once the foundation is completed?
4. Why must many houses be demolished?
5. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
6. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
7. How long has the cathedral been under construction at this point in the book?
8. What first takes place in the spring of 1253?
9. Describe the excavation of the foundation.
10. What are used to remove some of the strain placed on the walls?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)