|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
(a) Other parts of France.
(b) The surrounding countryside.
(c) Other countries in Europe.
(d) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
2. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(b) To decorate the stone.
(c) To know where they will go.
(d) Tracking and remuneration.
3. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
4. Why is the answer to number 39 part of the preparation?
(a) To aid in the construction of the roof.
(b) To aid in the raising of walls.
(c) To produce tools and scaffolding.
(d) To produce tools and nails.
5. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(c) Crown molding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many masters does William hire?
2. How is the cut lumber transported to Chutreaux?
3. What halts construction for five months?
4. As always, what interrupts most of the work for about five months?
5. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must many houses be demolished?
2. What types of tools are needed in the workshops?
3. What does the floor plan show?
4. What is first approved by the Bishop and the Chapter?
5. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
6. What is done with the cut limestone?
7. Who makes the tools?
8. How do the flying buttresses work?
9. What does the wall elevation show?
10. Who is in charge of Chutreaux? How do they deal with the hiring of the architect for this new cathedral?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)