|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are many houses demolished?
(a) The houses are not pleasing to the eye.
(b) The owners have not paid their mortgages.
(c) The new cathedral is much larger than the old one.
(d) The new cathedral is in a different style from these homes.
2. The outward buckling force is then transferred from the piers and walls to the buttresses by arches known as ___________.
(a) Sailing buttresses.
(b) Flying buttresses.
(c) Singing buttresses.
(d) Flinging buttresses.
3. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
(a) The spray painted lines on the ground.
(b) The surveying stakes.
(c) The architect's plans.
(d) The stone mason's opinion.
4. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(b) The most specialized.
(d) Very few.
5. As the new cathedral is to be enormous, the foundation is dug to what depth?
(a) Twenty feet.
(b) Ten feet.
(c) Two hundred feet.
(d) Twenty-five feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they cut limestone?
2. From where does the cut stone come?
3. William produces a floor plan and a wall elevation drawing. What is it based on?
4. What happens to a portion of the Bishop's palace?
5. The scaffolding holds hurdles, or ____________ made from woven sticks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the floor plan show?
2. What is the master quarryman doing at the same time?
3. What is done first to the site to prepare it for the building of the new cathedral?
4. What does the carpenter do once the design has been approved?
5. Who is William in charge of hiring?
6. Describe the mortice-and-tenon construction method. How is this used in the construction of the cathedral?
7. What is completed by this point in the book? How long has the cathedral been under construction?
8. Who makes the tools?
9. How do the workmen reach the scaffolding?
10. Where is the roof located? Of what does it consist?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)