|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1330 what is finally completed?
(a) The windows.
(b) The nave.
(c) The altar.
(d) The pews.
2. The glass is removed from the pipe and _________.
3. In 1302 the glass makers begin to make the colored glass for ___________.
(a) The floor tiles.
(b) The huge cathedral windows.
(c) The sculptures.
(d) The skylights.
4. The moldings and capitals are also finished and stone slabs are laid on the floor in what pattern?
5. This period marks a huge transition in ____________________ of the cathedral.
(a) The design of the construction.
(b) The desire to see the construction.
(c) The funding of the construction.
(d) The personnel of the construction.
6. A tympanum, or ________________, is created to go above each door.
(a) Semicircular sculpted panel.
(b) Down spout.
7. How large are these window panes?
(a) As large as eighty feet high.
(b) As large as seventy feet high.
(c) As large as fifty feet high.
(d) As large as sixty feet high.
8. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
9. The axle of the device is attached to what?
(a) The wall.
(b) A handle.
(c) A platform.
(d) A lifting rope.
10. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
11. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
(a) The mouths of the saints.
(b) The mouths of the angels.
(c) The mouths of the gargoyles.
(d) The mouths of the cherubim.
12. Huge sheets of roofing ________ are made on the ground and then hoisted into place.
13. The flying buttresses of the choir are completed and the centerings are readied for ___________.
(a) Crown molding.
(c) The first stones of the vaulted ceilings.
14. How many years has it been since construction began?
15. The ceiling will be constructed using how many bays at a time?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1280, the choir of the cathedral is ready to receive ___________.
2. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
3. The exterior of the wax is then carved into to create ___________.
4. In what year is the spire completed?
5. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)