|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1281 who dies?
(a) The architect.
(b) The Bishop of Chutreaux.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The King of France.
2. How many years has it been since construction began?
3. As the men walk so the axle turns and winds up ________, lifting very heavy loads from the floor.
(a) The wall.
(b) A leather strap.
(c) The rope.
(d) Very tight.
4. This period marks a huge transition in ____________________ of the cathedral.
(a) The personnel of the construction.
(b) The design of the construction.
(c) The funding of the construction.
(d) The desire to see the construction.
5. Various kinds of metals are added to different batches of glass to___________.
(a) Strengthen the glass.
(b) Seal the glass.
(c) Distort the glass.
(d) Color the glass.
6. The finished wax represents ___________.
(a) The last step in the bell-making process.
(b) The size, thickness, and shape of the bell.
(c) The general size of the bell.
(d) The general shape of the bell.
7. By ___________ the cathedral is completed.
8. The down spouts are stone sculptures made to look like ___________.
(a) Angelic cherubs.
(b) Stoic saints.
(c) Beautiful angels.
(d) Frightening monsters.
9. Two wooden ___________ cross each other at the middle of the square.
10. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
11. Soon thereafter who dies and is replaced?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The architect.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Chapter.
12. How does he die?
(a) He falls from the scaffolding of the vaults.
(b) He is killed by a worker.
(c) He becomes ill with a fever.
(d) He contracts influenza.
13. The flying buttresses of the choir are completed and the centerings are readied for ___________.
(c) The first stones of the vaulted ceilings.
(d) Crown molding.
14. Masons then lay courses of light __________ stones over the wooden spanners.
(b) Wood spanners.
15. The exterior of the wax is then carved into to create ___________.
(a) A place for the copper to go.
(b) Handles for grabbing the bell.
(c) The decorations that will be on the outside of the bell.
(d) A handle to attach a rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1280, how long has it been since construction started?
2. Then the model is covered in about ______ inches of wax.
3. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
4. These drain pipes then go to down spouts located on ___________.
5. The glass is spun outward into ___________.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)