|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
(a) The mouths of the gargoyles.
(b) The mouths of the angels.
(c) The mouths of the saints.
(d) The mouths of the cherubim.
2. Huge sheets of roofing ________ are made on the ground and then hoisted into place.
3. How many bells are cast for the cathedral?
4. The moldings and capitals are also finished and stone slabs are laid on the floor in what pattern?
5. The vaulted ceiling is built _________ feet above the foundation.
6. The glass is removed from the pipe and _________.
7. In 1302 the glass makers begin to make the colored glass for ___________.
(a) The huge cathedral windows.
(b) The floor tiles.
(c) The sculptures.
(d) The skylights.
8. The axle of the device is attached to what?
(a) A handle.
(b) A lifting rope.
(c) A platform.
(d) The wall.
9. This period marks a huge transition in ____________________ of the cathedral.
(a) The design of the construction.
(b) The funding of the construction.
(c) The desire to see the construction.
(d) The personnel of the construction.
10. The ceiling will be constructed using how many bays at a time?
11. The finished wax represents ___________.
(a) The general size of the bell.
(b) The general shape of the bell.
(c) The size, thickness, and shape of the bell.
(d) The last step in the bell-making process.
12. After the ribs are completed, carpenters install _____________.
(d) A keystone.
13. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
14. Why is each bell unique?
(a) They are each decorated with a different scene from the Bible.
(b) The clay mold used to cast the bronze bell is destroyed during the casting process.
(c) They are made in different cities by different workshops.
(d) They are each made by a different craftsman.
15. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The down spouts are stone sculptures made to look like ___________.
2. By 1332 the___________________, of the cathedral is nearly complete.
3. The glass is spun outward into ___________.
4. A unique device used for raising supplies is known as what?
5. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)