|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A unique device used for raising supplies is known as what?
(a) The great lifter.
(b) The great lever.
(c) The great wheel.
(d) The great elevator.
2. Where are these wood spanners installed by the carpenters?
(a) Along the ribs.
(b) Along the piers.
(c) Along the centerings.
(d) Along the walls.
3. What is the purpose of this pattern?
(a) It was symbolic of the connection between man and God.
(b) It was symbolic of the star over Bethlehem.
(c) It was symbolic of making a long pilgrimage to the cathedral in search of God's favor.
(d) It was symbolic of Jesus as the fisher of men.
4. Once the mold is broken away, revealing the finished bell, the bells are shipped to the cathedral and hoisted into ___________.
(a) The steeple.
(b) The spire.
(c) The tympanum.
(d) The belfry.
5. To what might this unique device be compared?
(a) A crane.
(b) A wheel for guinea pigs.
(c) A pulley.
(d) An elevator.
6. Soon thereafter who dies and is replaced?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Chapter.
(d) The architect.
7. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
8. These drain pipes then go to down spouts located on ___________.
(a) The buttresses.
(b) The roof.
(c) The foundation.
(d) The gutters.
9. In 1280, the choir of the cathedral is ready to receive ___________.
(a) The stained glass windows.
(b) The crown molding.
(c) The roof.
(d) The vaulted ceiling.
10. As the men walk so the axle turns and winds up ________, lifting very heavy loads from the floor.
(a) A leather strap.
(b) The wall.
(c) The rope.
(d) Very tight.
11. Masons then lay courses of light __________ stones over the wooden spanners.
(b) Wood spanners.
12. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
13. During the year, William of Planz decides ___________.
(a) He is too old to continue working.
(b) He wants to change part of the design.
(c) He is too ill to continue working.
(d) He is no longer interested in this building project.
14. Two wooden ___________ cross each other at the middle of the square.
15. The finished wax represents ___________.
(a) The general shape of the bell.
(b) The general size of the bell.
(c) The size, thickness, and shape of the bell.
(d) The last step in the bell-making process.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he die?
2. Why are these wooden arches placed from pier to pier?
3. The stones that comprise the ribs of the vaulted ceiling are called ___________.
4. These sheets are used to cover ___________________ making a weatherproof roof.
5. The largest simple pieces of glass are about __________ inches square.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)