|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wooden arches, like ____________, are placed from pier to pier.
2. How many bells are cast for the cathedral?
3. Where are these wood spanners installed by the carpenters?
(a) Along the piers.
(b) Along the walls.
(c) Along the ribs.
(d) Along the centerings.
4. In 1280, the choir of the cathedral is ready to receive ___________.
(a) The vaulted ceiling.
(b) The stained glass windows.
(c) The roof.
(d) The crown molding.
5. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
6. These drain pipes then go to down spouts located on ___________.
(a) The roof.
(b) The buttresses.
(c) The foundation.
(d) The gutters.
7. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
(b) Only at first.
(d) Only later.
8. The wax is then coated in ___________.
(a) More clay and plaster of Paris.
9. As the men walk so the axle turns and winds up ________, lifting very heavy loads from the floor.
(a) Very tight.
(b) The wall.
(c) The rope.
(d) A leather strap.
10. The glass makers then take a molten lump of glass on the end of a large hollow pipe and do what with it?
(a) Spin it.
(b) Blow it up like a balloon.
(c) Cool it.
(d) Shake it.
11. Why does work stop?
(a) The Bishop no longer wants the cathedral completed.
(b) The architect dies.
(c) The Chapter decides to cancel the project.
(d) The Chapter runs out of money.
12. The ribs themselves carry the weight of __________, or ceiling stones.
(a) The centerings.
(b) The webbing.
(c) The tracery.
(d) The piers.
13. Sadly, in 1329 who dies?
(a) The Pope.
(b) A member of the Chapter.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Robert of Cormont.
14. In what year, does work resume?
15. The construction of the roof continues as the frames are set up with ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are these down spouts called?
2. The wax melts and runs out leaving a cavity in the clay. Molten _______________ is poured into the cavity and allowed to cool.
3. The exterior of the wax is then carved into to create ___________.
4. The moldings and capitals are also finished and stone slabs are laid on the floor in what pattern?
5. During the year, William of Planz decides ___________.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)