|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
(a) Only later.
(d) Only at first.
2. Each of the bays is the square area between ________ piers at the corners.
3. The stones that comprise the ribs of the vaulted ceiling are called ___________.
4. The smaller pieces are assembled into panes as large as __________ inches square, the pieces being held together by lead channels.
5. The vaulted ceiling is built _________ feet above the foundation.
6. During the year, William of Planz decides ___________.
(a) He is no longer interested in this building project.
(b) He is too old to continue working.
(c) He is too ill to continue working.
(d) He wants to change part of the design.
7. With what are the sheets attached?
8. These drain pipes then go to down spouts located on ___________.
(a) The gutters.
(b) The buttresses.
(c) The roof.
(d) The foundation.
9. What else does this ceiling also require?
(a) Many architectural details.
(b) Sculptures and paintings.
(c) A unique device is used to raise the stone and mortar to the ceiling.
(d) A great deal of mortar.
10. The roof timbers are thickly coated in ___________.
11. Once the mold is broken away, revealing the finished bell, the bells are shipped to the cathedral and hoisted into ___________.
(a) The spire.
(b) The belfry.
(c) The steeple.
(d) The tympanum.
12. Where are these wood spanners installed by the carpenters?
(a) Along the walls.
(b) Along the piers.
(c) Along the ribs.
(d) Along the centerings.
13. In what year is the spire completed?
14. Soon thereafter who dies and is replaced?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The architect.
(c) The Chapter.
(d) The Pope.
15. The axle of the device is attached to what?
(a) A lifting rope.
(b) The wall.
(c) A handle.
(d) A platform.
Short Answer Questions
1. A unique device used for raising supplies is known as what?
2. In 1281 who dies?
3. In 1302 the glass makers begin to make the colored glass for ___________.
4. The glass is spun outward into ___________.
5. The largest simple pieces of glass are about __________ inches square.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)