|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what might this unique device be compared?
(a) A wheel for guinea pigs.
(b) A crane.
(c) A pulley.
(d) An elevator.
2. Various kinds of metals are added to different batches of glass to___________.
(a) Seal the glass.
(b) Strengthen the glass.
(c) Color the glass.
(d) Distort the glass.
3. The glass itself is made from ___________.
(a) Beechwood ash and washed sand.
(b) Limestone and soda ash.
(c) Sodium bicarbonate and silica.
(d) Dolomite and limestone.
4. Sadly, in 1329 who dies?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Robert of Cormont.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) A member of the Chapter.
5. Where are these wood spanners installed by the carpenters?
(a) Along the walls.
(b) Along the centerings.
(c) Along the ribs.
(d) Along the piers.
6. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
7. The wax melts and runs out leaving a cavity in the clay. Molten _______________ is poured into the cavity and allowed to cool.
8. Why are the people of Chutreaux lucky?
(a) The architect is quickly replaced.
(b) The cathedral is basically finished.
(c) Their work stoppage lasts only five years.
(d) The clergy change their minds.
9. How many years has it been since construction began?
10. Why does work stop?
(a) The architect dies.
(b) The Bishop no longer wants the cathedral completed.
(c) The Chapter runs out of money.
(d) The Chapter decides to cancel the project.
11. What are these down spouts called?
12. The glass is removed from the pipe and _________.
13. In 1281 who dies?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Bishop of Chutreaux.
(c) The King of France.
(d) The architect.
14. In 1302 the glass makers begin to make the colored glass for ___________.
(a) The skylights.
(b) The huge cathedral windows.
(c) The floor tiles.
(d) The sculptures.
15. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
(b) Only later.
(c) Only at first.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ drain pipes are located around the roof and lead to stone gutters across the flying buttresses.
2. What is the purpose of this pattern?
3. Who replaces William of Planz?
4. Each of the bays is the square area between ________ piers at the corners.
5. A tympanum, or ________________, is created to go above each door.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)