|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The wax melts and runs out leaving a cavity in the clay. Molten _______________ is poured into the cavity and allowed to cool.
2. The axle of the device is attached to what?
(a) A handle.
(b) A platform.
(c) The wall.
(d) A lifting rope.
3. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
(a) The mouths of the gargoyles.
(b) The mouths of the cherubim.
(c) The mouths of the saints.
(d) The mouths of the angels.
4. The glass is removed from the pipe and _________.
5. Masons then lay courses of light __________ stones over the wooden spanners.
(a) Wood spanners.
6. Why is each bell unique?
(a) They are each decorated with a different scene from the Bible.
(b) They are each made by a different craftsman.
(c) The clay mold used to cast the bronze bell is destroyed during the casting process.
(d) They are made in different cities by different workshops.
7. These larger sections are then installed between stone ____________ and iron reinforcing bars to create individual window panes.
8. How many bells are cast for the cathedral?
9. The ___________ ceiling requires much heavy stone.
10. The cathedral's three huge doors are built--the center door is almost _____________ feet high.
11. During the year, William of Planz decides ___________.
(a) He is too ill to continue working.
(b) He is too old to continue working.
(c) He is no longer interested in this building project.
(d) He wants to change part of the design.
12. With what are the sheets attached?
13. Simultaneously, the foundation for what is begun?
(a) The trusses.
(b) The transept.
(c) The triforium.
(d) The clerestory.
14. These drain pipes then go to down spouts located on ___________.
(a) The buttresses.
(b) The gutters.
(c) The foundation.
(d) The roof.
15. By ___________ the cathedral is completed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaces William of Planz?
2. The down spouts are stone sculptures made to look like ___________.
3. They meet at the center of the bay in a crossing pattern and are locked together by what?
4. In 1281 who dies?
5. The glass is spun outward into ___________.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)