|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The finished wax represents ___________.
(a) The general shape of the bell.
(b) The size, thickness, and shape of the bell.
(c) The general size of the bell.
(d) The last step in the bell-making process.
2. The process begins when a solid model of the bell is made in ___________.
(b) Clay and plaster of Paris.
(c) Plaster of Paris.
3. Does this transition period interrupt the work on the cathedral?
(a) Only at first.
(c) Only later.
4. Then the model is covered in about ______ inches of wax.
5. When it rains, the water shoots out of ___________.
(a) The mouths of the angels.
(b) The mouths of the saints.
(c) The mouths of the gargoyles.
(d) The mouths of the cherubim.
6. By 1330 what is finally completed?
(a) The altar.
(b) The pews.
(c) The windows.
(d) The nave.
7. The cathedral is mostly complete and has taken how many years to build thus far?
8. The wax is then coated in ___________.
(a) More clay and plaster of Paris.
9. Two wooden ___________ cross each other at the middle of the square.
10. Soon thereafter who dies and is replaced?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Chapter.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The architect.
11. What else does this ceiling also require?
(a) Many architectural details.
(b) Sculptures and paintings.
(c) A unique device is used to raise the stone and mortar to the ceiling.
(d) A great deal of mortar.
12. Each of the bays is the square area between ________ piers at the corners.
13. A unique device used for raising supplies is known as what?
(a) The great elevator.
(b) The great lever.
(c) The great wheel.
(d) The great lifter.
14. How large are these window panes?
(a) As large as fifty feet high.
(b) As large as eighty feet high.
(c) As large as sixty feet high.
(d) As large as seventy feet high.
15. This period marks a huge transition in ____________________ of the cathedral.
(a) The personnel of the construction.
(b) The design of the construction.
(c) The desire to see the construction.
(d) The funding of the construction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Various kinds of metals are added to different batches of glass to___________.
2. A tympanum, or ________________, is created to go above each door.
3. The vaulted ceiling is built _________ feet above the foundation.
4. The glass makers then take a molten lump of glass on the end of a large hollow pipe and do what with it?
5. During the year, William of Planz decides ___________.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)