|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After _______ more years of labor the walls of the choir and aisle are completed and work begins on the cathedral roof.
2. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
3. Each _____________ is mortared together.
(b) Piece of glass.
4. Where do they cut limestone?
(a) In the Somme valley.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In the forest outside Chutreaux.
(d) In the town of Chutreaux.
5. The chapter hires a ___________ architect named William of Planz.
6. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(b) Tracking and remuneration.
(c) To know where they will go.
(d) To decorate the stone.
7. From where does the cut stone come?
8. As the mortar cures what does it do?
(a) It binds the stones to each other.
(b) It binds the bricks to each other.
(c) It binds the pieces of glass to each other.
(d) It binds the timbers to each other.
9. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The trefoils.
(b) The pier.
(c) The emporium.
(d) The triforium.
10. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
11. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
(a) The hurdles.
(b) The centerings.
(c) The stilts.
(d) The framers.
12. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
(a) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(b) Other parts of France.
(c) The surrounding countryside.
(d) Other countries in Europe.
13. Eventually the chapels in the apse are finished and __________________ of the choir are nearly finished.
(a) The piers and buttresses.
(b) The hurdles and piers.
(c) The centerings and butresses.
(d) The centerings and piers.
14. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
(a) The most important force in their lives.
(b) Very important.
(c) Somewhat important.
(d) Not important.
15. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(c) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(d) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the church in Chutreaux?
2. Most importantly, the stone cutters work inside ___________.
3. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
4. How is the cut lumber transported to Chutreaux?
5. What happens to the old cathedral?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)