|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the mortar cures, what happens?
(a) The stilts are removed.
(b) The framers are removed.
(c) The hurdles are removed.
(d) The centerings are removed.
2. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
3. Who provides the answer to number 29?
(a) The master mason.
(b) The architect.
(c) The master sculptor.
(d) The master carpenter.
4. The masons place the stones while who mix and apply the mortar?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The mason apprentices.
(c) The laborers.
(d) The mortar craftsmen.
5. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
6. Are these drawings approved?
(b) Not at first.
(d) Not without many adjustments.
7. Who does the master craftsman take on?
(a) Apprentices and assistants.
(b) Other master craftsmen.
(c) Other architects.
(d) The chapter.
8. What is done with the Romanesque crypt?
(a) It is saved.
(b) It is moved to another town.
(c) It is altered.
(d) It is destroyed.
9. As the new cathedral is to be enormous, the foundation is dug to what depth?
(a) Two hundred feet.
(b) Twenty-five feet.
(c) Twenty feet.
(d) Ten feet.
10. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
(a) Because the workmen are confused.
(b) Because it is safer hanging from the ceiling.
(c) Because it is easier to build this way.
(d) Because it must go very high.
11. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
12. From where does the cut stone come?
13. To whom are the drawings presented?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The king.
(c) The Chapter.
(d) The Bishop and the Chapter.
14. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The cooper.
(c) The carpenter.
(d) The wheelwright.
15. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
(a) Many meetings with the architect.
(b) Some basic tools.
(c) Various specialized tools.
(d) Approval from the people of Chutreaux.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the mortar cures what does it do?
2. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
3. Why is the answer to number 39 part of the preparation?
4. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
5. The walls of the choir are constructed in how many phases?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)