|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
(a) The location of windows.
(b) The pattern of the brick.
(c) The ribs of the vaulted ceiling.
(d) The stairs.
2. These buttresses look like ___________.
(a) Large monsters.
(b) Drain pipes.
(d) Large columns.
3. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
(a) Wooden stilts.
(b) Wooden scaffolding.
(c) Wooden stairs.
(d) Wooden ladders.
4. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The cooper.
(b) The blacksmith.
(c) The carpenter.
(d) The wheelwright.
5. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
6. Are these drawings approved?
(c) Not without many adjustments.
(d) Not at first.
7. How is the cut lumber transported to Chutreaux?
(a) By water.
(b) By air.
(c) By land.
(d) By car.
8. How many staircases does Chutreaux have?
9. The scaffolding holds hurdles, or ____________ made from woven sticks.
(b) Work platforms.
10. For what do they cut timber?
(a) The construction of scaffolding, workshops, tools, and machines.
(b) The construction of the carts to haul supplies.
(c) The construction of the cathedral.
(d) The construction of the scaffolding and tools.
11. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
12. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
(a) A stone framework with glass windows.
(c) Wood chips.
13. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
(a) Because it must go very high.
(b) Because the workmen are confused.
(c) Because it is safer hanging from the ceiling.
(d) Because it is easier to build this way.
14. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
(a) A group of master craftsmen.
(b) The people of Chutreaux.
(c) The King of France.
(d) A group of clergymen known as the chapter.
15. The foundation is built to ___________ standards.
(a) Somewhat accurate.
Short Answer Questions
1. By this time some work continues inside ___________.
2. Once the mortar cures, what happens?
3. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
4. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
5. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)