|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The master quarryman supervises about ____________ men cutting limestone.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Thirty thousand.
2. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
3. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(b) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(c) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
4. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
5. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The triforium.
(b) The trefoils.
(c) The emporium.
(d) The pier.
6. Why are many houses demolished?
(a) The owners have not paid their mortgages.
(b) The new cathedral is much larger than the old one.
(c) The new cathedral is in a different style from these homes.
(d) The houses are not pleasing to the eye.
7. The masons place the stones while who mix and apply the mortar?
(a) The mason apprentices.
(b) The mortar craftsmen.
(c) The laborers.
(d) The slaves.
8. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
(b) Wood chips.
(c) A stone framework with glass windows.
9. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
(a) Because it is safer hanging from the ceiling.
(b) Because the workmen are confused.
(c) Because it must go very high.
(d) Because it is easier to build this way.
10. The piers of the choir of Chutreaux will be ________ feet high and six to eight feet thick.
11. What else is done to this location?
(a) It is smoothed.
(b) It is marked with stakes.
(c) It is destroyed.
(d) It is decorated.
12. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
(a) The location of windows.
(b) The pattern of the brick.
(c) The ribs of the vaulted ceiling.
(d) The stairs.
13. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
14. Once the site is cleared, the location of what are surveyed?
(a) The fellowship hall and choir.
(b) The altar and aisle.
(c) The sanctuary and Bishop's palace.
(d) The apse and choir.
15. Each _____________ is mortared together.
(b) Piece of glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provides the answer to number 29?
2. Is Chutreaux, France a real place?
3. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
4. As the mortar cures what does it do?
5. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)