|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
2. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
3. To whom are the drawings presented?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The king.
(c) The Chapter.
(d) The Bishop and the Chapter.
4. Where do they cut limestone?
(a) In the forest outside Chutreaux.
(b) In the Somme valley.
(c) In the town of Chutreaux.
(d) In Paris.
5. These buttresses look like ___________.
(b) Large monsters.
(c) Drain pipes.
(d) Large columns.
6. The walls of the choir are constructed in how many phases?
7. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(b) Very few.
(d) Thousands of.
8. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
(a) A group of clergymen known as the chapter.
(b) The King of France.
(c) A group of master craftsmen.
(d) The people of Chutreaux.
9. The vault and ceiling put what on the piers and walls?
(a) A downward strain.
(b) A horizontal strain.
(c) A lateral strain.
(d) An upward strain.
10. Why are the walls filled with this?
(a) Some sort of insulation is needed to keep the cathdral a consistent temperature.
(b) Solid stone walls would be too expensive.
(c) Concrete is stronger than stone.
(d) It is very inexpensive.
11. Why do the people of Chutreaux decide to honor God by building a new cathedral?
(a) Because of a prolonged period of financial prosperity and freedom from such things as the plague and famine.
(b) Because of many deadly bouts Black Plague.
(c) Because God has asked them to build him a cathedral.
(d) Because of a prolonger period of financial strain.
12. Eventually the chapels in the apse are finished and __________________ of the choir are nearly finished.
(a) The hurdles and piers.
(b) The piers and buttresses.
(c) The centerings and piers.
(d) The centerings and butresses.
13. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(c) Crown molding.
14. Why is the answer to number 39 part of the preparation?
(a) To aid in the construction of the roof.
(b) To produce tools and scaffolding.
(c) To produce tools and nails.
(d) To aid in the raising of walls.
15. _____________ later laborers in Chutreaux begin to clear the site of the new cathedral.
(a) Several months.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
2. Are these drawings approved?
3. The foundation for the apse and choir is completed after about how many months of work?
4. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
5. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)