|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
(a) The architect's plans.
(b) The surveying stakes.
(c) The spray painted lines on the ground.
(d) The stone mason's opinion.
2. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
3. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
(a) Twenty-eight years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Eighty years.
(d) Eighteen years.
4. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
5. Workmen reach the scaffolding by using ______________ built into the walls of the cathedral.
(a) The stone circular staircases.
(b) The wooden circular staircases.
(d) An elevator.
6. How long has the project taken?
(a) About four months.
(b) About three months.
(c) About one month.
(d) About two months.
7. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(c) Thousands of.
(d) Very few.
8. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The woodworkers.
(c) The cooper.
(d) The wheelwright.
9. The outward buckling force is then transferred from the piers and walls to the buttresses by arches known as ___________.
(a) Flinging buttresses.
(b) Singing buttresses.
(c) Sailing buttresses.
(d) Flying buttresses.
10. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) Tracking and remuneration.
(b) To decorate the stone.
(c) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(d) To know where they will go.
11. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
(a) Because it is easier to build this way.
(b) Because it must go very high.
(c) Because it is safer hanging from the ceiling.
(d) Because the workmen are confused.
12. For what do they cut timber?
(a) The construction of the cathedral.
(b) The construction of the carts to haul supplies.
(c) The construction of scaffolding, workshops, tools, and machines.
(d) The construction of the scaffolding and tools.
13. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
(a) Wooden stairs.
(b) Wooden stilts.
(c) Wooden scaffolding.
(d) Wooden ladders.
14. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
15. What is done with the Romanesque crypt?
(a) It is altered.
(b) It is destroyed.
(c) It is moved to another town.
(d) It is saved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
2. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
3. William has much experience working on other cathedrals in _______________________.
4. Why are the walls filled with this?
5. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)