|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The trefoils.
(b) The emporium.
(c) The triforium.
(d) The pier.
2. Are these drawings approved?
(a) Not without many adjustments.
(d) Not at first.
3. The master quarryman supervises about ____________ men cutting limestone.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Thirty thousand.
4. Why are many houses demolished?
(a) The owners have not paid their mortgages.
(b) The new cathedral is much larger than the old one.
(c) The houses are not pleasing to the eye.
(d) The new cathedral is in a different style from these homes.
5. This typical ________ architecture technique allowed the piers to remain thin relative to their height.
6. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Thousands of.
(d) Very few.
7. Is Chutreaux, France a real place?
(c) Yes, but it was destroyed many centuries ago.
(d) Yes, but it is actually in England.
8. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(b) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(d) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
9. _____________ later laborers in Chutreaux begin to clear the site of the new cathedral.
(a) One week.
(b) Several months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several weeks.
10. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
11. What happens to the old cathedral?
(a) It is moved.
(b) It is not touched.
(c) It is demolished.
(d) It is altered.
12. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
(a) Other parts of France.
(b) Other countries in Europe.
(c) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(d) The surrounding countryside.
13. Once the site is cleared, the location of what are surveyed?
(a) The altar and aisle.
(b) The apse and choir.
(c) The fellowship hall and choir.
(d) The sanctuary and Bishop's palace.
14. What happens to a portion of the Bishop's palace?
(a) It is attached to the new cathedral.
(b) It is demolished.
(c) It is remodeled.
(d) It is altered.
15. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
(a) The King of France.
(b) A group of master craftsmen.
(c) A group of clergymen known as the chapter.
(d) The people of Chutreaux.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
2. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
3. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
4. William produces a floor plan and a wall elevation drawing. What is it based on?
5. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)