|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people of Chutreaux decide to honor God by building a new cathedral?
(a) Because of a prolonger period of financial strain.
(b) Because of a prolonged period of financial prosperity and freedom from such things as the plague and famine.
(c) Because of many deadly bouts Black Plague.
(d) Because God has asked them to build him a cathedral.
2. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
3. What are used to transport the materials through the city to the work site?
4. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(b) The most specialized.
(d) Very few.
5. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(b) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(d) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
6. Where do they cut limestone?
(a) In the town of Chutreaux.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In the forest outside Chutreaux.
(d) In the Somme valley.
7. What does each master craftsman then establish?
(a) A workshop for all the trades involved.
(b) A workshop for their respective trade.
(c) A reputation.
(d) A place to live during the building of the cathedral.
8. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Very few.
(b) Thousands of.
9. Are these drawings approved?
(a) Not at first.
(b) Not without many adjustments.
10. The piers of the choir of Chutreaux will be ________ feet high and six to eight feet thick.
11. The arcade of piers rises how far from the foundation?
(a) One hundred twenty.
(b) Eighty feet.
(c) One hundred feet.
(d) One hundred forty.
12. Who is William responsible for hiring?
(a) The apprentices who work under him.
(b) The members of the chapter.
(c) The master craftsmen who work under him.
(d) The peasants who do hard labor on the project.
13. What is this locale equipped with?
(a) Activities for the families of the workers.
(b) Pneumatic chisels.
(c) Workshops and a forge.
(d) Restaurants and inns.
14. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
(a) The sanctuary.
(b) The aisle.
(c) The clerestory.
(d) The triforium.
15. Once the site is cleared, the location of what are surveyed?
(a) The altar and aisle.
(b) The apse and choir.
(c) The fellowship hall and choir.
(d) The sanctuary and Bishop's palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
2. Why are the walls filled with this?
3. Pieces of cut limestone are hoisted out of the quarry. What are they cut into shape to match?
4. William produces a floor plan and a wall elevation drawing. What is it based on?
5. These buttresses look like ___________.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)