|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is done with the Romanesque crypt?
(a) It is saved.
(b) It is altered.
(c) It is moved to another town.
(d) It is destroyed.
2. Eventually the chapels in the apse are finished and __________________ of the choir are nearly finished.
(a) The centerings and piers.
(b) The piers and buttresses.
(c) The centerings and butresses.
(d) The hurdles and piers.
3. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
4. As always, what interrupts most of the work for about five months?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
5. Why do the people of Chutreaux decide to honor God by building a new cathedral?
(a) Because of a prolonger period of financial strain.
(b) Because God has asked them to build him a cathedral.
(c) Because of many deadly bouts Black Plague.
(d) Because of a prolonged period of financial prosperity and freedom from such things as the plague and famine.
6. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
(a) Wooden stairs.
(b) Wooden stilts.
(c) Wooden scaffolding.
(d) Wooden ladders.
7. From where does the cut stone come?
8. The foundation for the apse and choir is completed after about how many months of work?
9. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
(a) The clerestory.
(b) The triforium.
(c) The sanctuary.
(d) The aisle.
10. In the spring of _________ the Bishop of Chutreaux blesses the first foundation stone and it is lowered into the excavated foundations.
11. Once the foundation is completed what are begun?
(a) The walls.
(b) The Pews.
(c) The sculptures.
(d) The floor tiles.
12. From where did much of the new lumber come?
13. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(c) Crown molding.
14. Once the design has been approved the master carpenter takes about ___________ men into the forest of Chantilly and cuts timber.
(a) Two thousand.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Twenty thousand.
15. The master quarryman supervises about ____________ men cutting limestone.
(a) Thirty thousand.
(b) Three hundred.
(d) Three thousand.
Short Answer Questions
1. This typical ________ architecture technique allowed the piers to remain thin relative to their height.
2. During this time the new stonework and new in-place mortar are covered with what?
3. Who fabricates the wood components of the tools?
4. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
5. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)