|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The arcade of piers rises how far from the foundation?
(a) Eighty feet.
(b) One hundred feet.
(c) One hundred twenty.
(d) One hundred forty.
2. The flying buttresses work by transferring downward forces from the walls to ___________.
(a) The piers.
(b) The hurdles.
(c) The buttresses.
(d) The centerings.
3. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
4. Why are many houses demolished?
(a) The owners have not paid their mortgages.
(b) The houses are not pleasing to the eye.
(c) The new cathedral is much larger than the old one.
(d) The new cathedral is in a different style from these homes.
5. Are these drawings approved?
(a) Not at first.
(d) Not without many adjustments.
6. From where does the cut stone come?
7. What halts construction for five months?
(a) The winter.
(b) A terrible storm.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
8. The piers of the choir of Chutreaux will be ________ feet high and six to eight feet thick.
9. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
(a) The clerestory.
(b) The aisle.
(c) The sanctuary.
(d) The triforium.
10. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The wheelwright.
(b) The carpenter.
(c) The blacksmith.
(d) The cooper.
11. During this time the new stonework and new in-place mortar are covered with what?
(a) A matting of straw and dung.
12. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
13. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Thousands of.
(c) Very few.
14. Most importantly, the stone cutters work inside ___________.
(a) Dressing stone and cutting tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(b) Designing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(c) Adding mortar the the stone.
(d) Polishing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
15. Who leads the church in Chutreaux?
(a) The community.
(b) The King.
(c) The President.
(d) The Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are used to transport the materials through the city to the work site?
2. The foundation is built to ___________ standards.
3. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
4. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
5. How long has the project taken?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)