|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the project taken?
(a) About three months.
(b) About one month.
(c) About two months.
(d) About four months.
2. Are these drawings approved?
(a) Not at first.
(b) Not without many adjustments.
3. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
4. What happens to the old cathedral?
(a) It is demolished.
(b) It is moved.
(c) It is altered.
(d) It is not touched.
5. These buttresses look like ___________.
(a) Large columns.
(b) Drain pipes.
(d) Large monsters.
6. Workmen reach the scaffolding by using ______________ built into the walls of the cathedral.
(a) The wooden circular staircases.
(c) The stone circular staircases.
(d) An elevator.
7. The vault and ceiling put what on the piers and walls?
(a) A downward strain.
(b) A lateral strain.
(c) A horizontal strain.
(d) An upward strain.
8. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(a) Crown molding.
9. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
10. Once the site is cleared, the location of what are surveyed?
(a) The sanctuary and Bishop's palace.
(b) The fellowship hall and choir.
(c) The apse and choir.
(d) The altar and aisle.
11. Why are the walls filled with this?
(a) Some sort of insulation is needed to keep the cathdral a consistent temperature.
(b) Solid stone walls would be too expensive.
(c) Concrete is stronger than stone.
(d) It is very inexpensive.
12. Who does the master craftsman take on?
(a) The chapter.
(b) Apprentices and assistants.
(c) Other architects.
(d) Other master craftsmen.
13. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
(a) The stone mason's opinion.
(b) The spray painted lines on the ground.
(c) The surveying stakes.
(d) The architect's plans.
14. Who provides the answer to number 29?
(a) The master mason.
(b) The architect.
(c) The master carpenter.
(d) The master sculptor.
15. _______ walls span some portions of the cathedrals.
Short Answer Questions
1. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
2. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
3. Where do they cut limestone?
4. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
5. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)