|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) Tracking and remuneration.
(b) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(c) To decorate the stone.
(d) To know where they will go.
2. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
3. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
(a) The trefoils.
(b) The triforium.
(c) The pier.
(d) The emporium.
4. How many masters does William hire?
5. Workmen reach the scaffolding by using ______________ built into the walls of the cathedral.
(b) The wooden circular staircases.
(c) An elevator.
(d) The stone circular staircases.
6. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
(a) Not important.
(b) Somewhat important.
(c) Very important.
(d) The most important force in their lives.
7. Are these drawings approved?
(b) Not without many adjustments.
(d) Not at first.
8. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
(a) The hurdles.
(b) The centerings.
(c) The framers.
(d) The stilts.
9. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
(a) The ribs of the vaulted ceiling.
(b) The pattern of the brick.
(c) The stairs.
(d) The location of windows.
10. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The carpenter.
(b) The cooper.
(c) The wheelwright.
(d) The blacksmith.
11. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
12. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Thousands of.
(b) Very few.
13. Finally, the new foundation for the apse and choir is _______________.
14. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
15. As the mortar cures what does it do?
(a) It binds the bricks to each other.
(b) It binds the stones to each other.
(c) It binds the pieces of glass to each other.
(d) It binds the timbers to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. The arcade of piers rises how far from the foundation?
2. What construction is the work site then prepared for?
3. What does the wall elevation show?
4. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
5. Most importantly, the stone cutters work inside ___________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)