|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most of the walls are two vertical walls with a space between that is filled with ___________.
2. Each _____________ is mortared together.
(c) Piece of glass.
3. As the mortar cures what does it do?
(a) It binds the stones to each other.
(b) It binds the bricks to each other.
(c) It binds the pieces of glass to each other.
(d) It binds the timbers to each other.
4. Who fabricates the metal components of the tools?
(a) The carpenter.
(b) The blacksmith.
(c) The cooper.
(d) The wheelwright.
5. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(b) Thousands of.
(d) Very few.
6. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
(a) Various specialized tools.
(b) Some basic tools.
(c) Many meetings with the architect.
(d) Approval from the people of Chutreaux.
7. What are used to transport the materials through the city to the work site?
8. _______________ support the stones of the flying buttress while the mortar cures.
(a) The centerings.
(b) The framers.
(c) The hurdles.
(d) The stilts.
9. The buttresses must be built upon temporary wooden frames called ____________.
10. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(a) Very few.
(c) The most specialized.
11. What happens to a portion of the Bishop's palace?
(a) It is demolished.
(b) It is attached to the new cathedral.
(c) It is altered.
(d) It is remodeled.
12. By this time some work continues inside ___________.
(a) The nearby houses.
(b) The various workshops.
(c) The Bishop's palace.
(d) The cathedral.
13. Why do the people of Chutreaux decide to honor God by building a new cathedral?
(a) Because of a prolonged period of financial prosperity and freedom from such things as the plague and famine.
(b) Because of many deadly bouts Black Plague.
(c) Because God has asked them to build him a cathedral.
(d) Because of a prolonger period of financial strain.
14. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
(a) To cover up seams in the walls.
(b) For aesthetic purposes.
(c) To balance out the large windows.
(d) To support the walls from buckling outward.
15. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Many simple laborers perform heavy manual labor. Where are these individuals from?
2. Who leads the church in Chutreaux?
3. Who does the master craftsman take on?
4. Where do they cut limestone?
5. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)