|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Thousands of.
(c) Very few.
2. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
3. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
(a) Eighteen years.
(b) Twenty-eight years.
(c) Eighty years.
(d) Eight years.
4. The walls of the choir are constructed in how many phases?
5. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
(a) The stone mason's opinion.
(b) The architect's plans.
(c) The surveying stakes.
(d) The spray painted lines on the ground.
6. The outward buckling force is then transferred from the piers and walls to the buttresses by arches known as ___________.
(a) Singing buttresses.
(b) Sailing buttresses.
(c) Flinging buttresses.
(d) Flying buttresses.
7. Why are the walls filled with this?
(a) Solid stone walls would be too expensive.
(b) Some sort of insulation is needed to keep the cathdral a consistent temperature.
(c) It is very inexpensive.
(d) Concrete is stronger than stone.
8. How long has the project taken?
(a) About two months.
(b) About four months.
(c) About three months.
(d) About one month.
9. Where are most of these skilled workers drawn from?
(a) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(b) Other countries.
(c) Around the world.
(d) Neighboring kingdoms.
10. Does the floor plan show only the general outline?
(a) No, it also shows how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
(c) No, it also shows the location of stairs, doors, and windows.
(d) No, it also shows the locations of stairs, doors, and windows, and it illustrates how the new cathedral will interface with the existing crypt.
11. As the walls grow higher the workmen build what?
(a) Wooden ladders.
(b) Wooden scaffolding.
(c) Wooden stilts.
(d) Wooden stairs.
12. Most importantly, the stone cutters work inside ___________.
(a) Designing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(b) Polishing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(c) Dressing stone and cutting tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(d) Adding mortar the the stone.
13. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
(a) The King of France.
(b) A group of clergymen known as the chapter.
(c) The people of Chutreaux.
(d) A group of master craftsmen.
14. Why are the new stonework and mortar covered in this?
(a) To decorate them.
(b) To keep them from falling down.
(c) To keep them from cracking in the cold.
(d) To make them more appealing.
15. The flying buttresses work by transferring downward forces from the walls to ___________.
(a) The hurdles.
(b) The buttresses.
(c) The centerings.
(d) The piers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
2. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
3. To whom are the drawings presented?
4. As always, what interrupts most of the work for about five months?
5. What happens to a portion of the Bishop's palace?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)