|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(a) Very few.
(c) Thousands of.
2. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
(a) By wagon along a dirt path.
(b) By train through the countryside.
(c) By ships sailing up the river.
(d) By ships sailing through the ocean.
3. Once the foundation is completed what are begun?
(a) The floor tiles.
(b) The sculptures.
(c) The walls.
(d) The Pews.
4. To whom are the drawings presented?
(a) The king.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) The Chapter.
(d) The Bishop and the Chapter.
5. What do the various dashed lines between the piers on the floor plan show?
(a) The stairs.
(b) The location of windows.
(c) The ribs of the vaulted ceiling.
(d) The pattern of the brick.
6. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
(a) Eighteen years.
(b) Eighty years.
(c) Twenty-eight years.
(d) Eight years.
7. Where are most of these skilled workers drawn from?
(a) Other countries.
(b) The citizenry of Chutreaux.
(c) Around the world.
(d) Neighboring kingdoms.
8. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
9. What happens to the old cathedral?
(a) It is demolished.
(b) It is moved.
(c) It is altered.
(d) It is not touched.
10. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
(a) To cover up seams in the walls.
(b) To balance out the large windows.
(c) To support the walls from buckling outward.
(d) For aesthetic purposes.
11. Who is William responsible for hiring?
(a) The apprentices who work under him.
(b) The peasants who do hard labor on the project.
(c) The members of the chapter.
(d) The master craftsmen who work under him.
12. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(a) The most specialized.
(d) Very few.
13. After _______ more years of labor the walls of the choir and aisle are completed and work begins on the cathedral roof.
14. William has much experience working on other cathedrals in _______________________.
(a) France, Germany, and Sweden.
(b) France, England, and Germany.
(c) France, Italy, and England.
(d) France, Brussels, and Italy.
15. The walls of the choir are constructed in how many phases?
Short Answer Questions
1. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
2. What else is done to this location?
3. Each _____________ is mortared together.
4. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
5. To date, over how many men have been involved in this project?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)