|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the new stonework and mortar covered in this?
(a) To keep them from falling down.
(b) To keep them from cracking in the cold.
(c) To decorate them.
(d) To make them more appealing.
2. ______________, stone tracery and sixty-foot high windows, rises sixty feet for a total vertical rise of 160 feet.
(a) The sanctuary.
(b) The aisle.
(c) The triforium.
(d) The clerestory.
3. For what do they cut timber?
(a) The construction of scaffolding, workshops, tools, and machines.
(b) The construction of the scaffolding and tools.
(c) The construction of the cathedral.
(d) The construction of the carts to haul supplies.
4. The roof is located above the vaulting, and consists of _____________ frames.
5. The stones are marked for what purposes?
(a) To know where they will go.
(b) Tracking and remuneration.
(c) To know how much the carpenter is owed for his work.
(d) To decorate the stone.
6. Who hoists the materials out of the boats?
7. How long has the project taken?
(a) About four months.
(b) About one month.
(c) About three months.
(d) About two months.
8. The walls are complex and consist of piers, or _________, that support the vault and roof.
9. What kind of tools do the stone cutter's workshop and the carpenter's workshop require?
(b) Very few.
(c) The most specialized.
10. Workmen reach the scaffolding by using ______________ built into the walls of the cathedral.
(a) The wooden circular staircases.
(b) The stone circular staircases.
(d) An elevator.
11. The complex series of foundation excavations are executed according to ___________.
(a) The architect's plans.
(b) The stone mason's opinion.
(c) The surveying stakes.
(d) The spray painted lines on the ground.
12. Most of the walls are two vertical walls with a space between that is filled with ___________.
13. Why do the people of Chutreaux decide to honor God by building a new cathedral?
(a) Because of a prolonger period of financial strain.
(b) Because of a prolonged period of financial prosperity and freedom from such things as the plague and famine.
(c) Because of many deadly bouts Black Plague.
(d) Because God has asked them to build him a cathedral.
14. Most importantly, the stone cutters work inside ___________.
(a) Designing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(b) Dressing stone and cutting tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(c) Polishing the stone tracery, capitals, and sculptures.
(d) Adding mortar the the stone.
15. This technique also allowed for more space for ___________.
(a) Crown molding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did all this lumber and stone get to Chutreaux?
2. What else is done to this location?
3. Who does the master craftsman take on?
4. Who controls funds in the church in Chutreaux?
5. In most respects, what are the two drawings typical of?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)