|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 21 - 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The flying buttresses work by transferring downward forces from the walls to ___________.
(a) The centerings.
(b) The buttresses.
(c) The piers.
(d) The hurdles.
2. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
3. As the various workshops begin production, what do they require?
(a) Various specialized tools.
(b) Many meetings with the architect.
(c) Some basic tools.
(d) Approval from the people of Chutreaux.
4. The scaffolding holds hurdles, or ____________ made from woven sticks.
(a) Work platforms.
5. The foundation for the apse and choir is completed after about how many months of work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
2. How many masters does William hire?
3. In the twelfth century the people of Europe believed that God was ___________.
4. Why is the answer to number 74 hung from the top of the wall instead of rising from the ground?
5. _____________, a row of arches and a narrow passageway, rises twenty feet.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)