|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 21 - 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The space between piers is filled with tracery. What is tracery?
(a) A stone framework with glass windows.
(c) Wood chips.
2. From where does the cut stone come?
3. The vault and ceiling put what on the piers and walls?
(a) A lateral strain.
(b) A horizontal strain.
(c) An upward strain.
(d) A downward strain.
4. The foundation is built to ___________ standards.
(d) Somewhat accurate.
5. The cut lumber is transported ___________ miles.
(b) Very few.
(c) Thousands of.
Short Answer Questions
1. These buttresses look like ___________.
2. Why did William of Planz design buttresses around the cathedral's outside walls?
3. Huge roof timbers are ordered from __________.
4. At this time the cathedral has been under construction for how many years?
5. The outward buckling force is then transferred from the piers and walls to the buttresses by arches known as ___________.
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)