|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie's mother do when she sees Carrie speaking to the neighbor teen?
2. What does Carrie do when she gets mad at her mother?
3. What is the real reason Sue accepted her punishment?
4. What does Carrie's mother think of Carrie?
5. What does Carrie's mother say when she says she is going to the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
2. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
3. What happens at school in gym class when Carrie is seventeen?
4. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
5. Where does the gym teacher take Carrie and what is done with her that day?
6. How does Carrie practice her ability?
7. What does Chris decide after seeing the list of names for possible king and queen of the prom?
8. What happens in August, 1966, at the home of Margret White? Who does Margret live with? How does she treat that person?
9. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
10. What does Margret do when Carrie tells her she is going to the prom even though her mother had said no?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Most of the people involved with prom realize that Chris Hargensen is most likely going to try and do something at prom to ruin the event for everyone else, but no one says anything to her.
1. Discuss, in depth, the dynamics of a school's social atmosphere that might keep anyone from talking to Chris about her plans for the prom. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, who is more responsible for what happened in Chamberlain, Chris Hargensen or Carrie. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Although Chris wants to specifically embarrass Carrie, Billy doesn't care who is standing under the buckets. Explain what you think motivates someone like Billy to do what he did. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)