|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Desjardin slap Carrie?
2. What does Carrie ask a teenage neighbor about when Carrie is younger?
3. What does Carrie's mother think of Carrie?
4. What does Carrie do when she gets mad at her mother?
5. At what is Chris's dad not successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Nolan do to prepare for prom night?
2. What does Carrie think about Tommy's request?
3. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
4. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
5. What does Margret White tell Carrie about her menstrual cycle, and what does she do? How does Carrie respond?
6. Why would Margret White yell at the neighbors and what did one do to taunt her?
7. Why doesn't the commission know what Tommy's motives were the night of the prom?
8. What happens in August, 1966, at the home of Margret White? Who does Margret live with? How does she treat that person?
9. Where does Sue Snell run into Chris Hargensen and what happens during their encounter?
10. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think CARRIE is successful as a horror novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Stephen King's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Carrie has killed almost an entire town for revenge.
1. How would you define revenge? How often do you think people are motivated by the desire for revenge? What do you think is the effect of holding such a desire for a long time without fulfillment?
2. Explain why Chris wants revenge and on whom. Do you think she is justified in seeking revenge? Is the taking of revenge ever justified? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why Carrie wants revenge and on whom. Do you think she is justified in seeking revenge? Is the taking of revenge ever justified? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)