|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bathroom lights?
2. What is Carrie doing at the end of gym class that begins the plot of the story?
3. What did Carrie's father carry to work every day?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Morton understand the situation?
5. Why does Sue cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the gym teacher take Carrie and what is done with her that day?
2. What happens at school in gym class when Carrie is seventeen?
3. What does Sue think is Chris' main goal about the prom?
4. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
5. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
6. What does Chris decide after seeing the list of names for possible king and queen of the prom?
7. What does Billy Nolan do to prepare for prom night?
8. How does Sue feel about what she told Chris?
9. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
10. What is thought to be the connection between Carrie's ability and her menstrual cycle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Carrie is so quick to assume that people are out to get her that she never realizes that the pig blood at the prom wasn't necessarily meant for her. Carrie has been so abused by the people that should have cared for her, or at least looked out for her, that she can't comprehend how to properly act with people in many respects.
1. Do you think Carrie's assumption about the blood was logical? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Given Carrie's home situation explain why you think she had such a difficult time at school with the other students. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How much of Carrie's paranoia do you think was the result of her mother's influence and how much did she acquire at school? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)