|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Carrie's mother yell at the neighbors?
2. What does Sue Snell suddenly realize?
3. What does a little boy on a bike call Carrie as she is walking home?
4. Why is Carrie embarrassed?
5. What does Carrie's mother say when she says she is going to the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margret do when Carrie tells her she is going to the prom even though her mother had said no?
2. Why does Mr. Grayle tell Chris Hargensen's father she may not go to the prom and with what does Grayle threaten Chris' father?
3. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
4. What does Carrie think about Tommy's request?
5. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
6. What does Sue Snell say to Tommy about Carrie and the gym incident and how does she feel?
7. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
8. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
9. What does Sue think is Chris' main goal about the prom?
10. What does Margret White tell Carrie about her menstrual cycle, and what does she do? How does Carrie respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of horror fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre. Give examples of at least five types of genre and why they belong to their specific genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. To what other genres could this book possibly belong? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Change is inevitable, growth is optional. The change in the characters in this book are drastic from the status quo at the beginning of the book to the end.
1. What are some of the ways in which Carrie changed during the course of this book? Did she grow from the change? What did she learn from it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What are some of the changes that occurred in Sue Snell in the course of the story? How did she grow from the circumstances? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Choose two characters in the book and compare and contrast the change in them through the course of the story and how they did or did not grow.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)