|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chris Hargensen want to go?
2. When Carrie's mother screams and tears out her flesh, what happens?
3. What does Billy put on ice?
4. What do the girls do when they see Carrie with blood running down her legs?
5. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
2. What does Sue Snell say to Tommy about Carrie and the gym incident and how does she feel?
3. How does Carrie respond to the girls in gym class?
4. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
5. What does Billy Nolan do to prepare for prom night?
6. What happens in August, 1966, at the home of Margret White? Who does Margret live with? How does she treat that person?
7. What is thought to be the connection between Carrie's ability and her menstrual cycle?
8. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
9. Why would Margret White yell at the neighbors and what did one do to taunt her?
10. Why does Mr. Grayle tell Chris Hargensen's father she may not go to the prom and with what does Grayle threaten Chris' father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the people involved with prom realize that Chris Hargensen is most likely going to try and do something at prom to ruin the event for everyone else, but no one says anything to her.
1. Discuss, in depth, the dynamics of a school's social atmosphere that might keep anyone from talking to Chris about her plans for the prom. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, who is more responsible for what happened in Chamberlain, Chris Hargensen or Carrie. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Although Chris wants to specifically embarrass Carrie, Billy doesn't care who is standing under the buckets. Explain what you think motivates someone like Billy to do what he did. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell. How are they the same? How are they different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better person, Chris Hargensen or Sue? Why? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)