|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carrie embarrassed?
2. Where does Billy go?
3. Who does Chris call after leaving the decorating group?
4. How are Carrie's parents described?
5. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
2. Why did Sue do what she did after the prom?
3. What occurs between Sue and Carrie as Carrie is dying?
4. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
5. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
6. What is Margret doing while Carrie is at the prom?
7. What does Carrie admit to her mother and what happens with the two of them?
8. How does Sue feel about what she told Chris?
9. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
10. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Carrie thinks she is obtaining justice by killing off the students at the prom. Was she wrong or correct? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Carrie is written with an epistolary structure.
1. After research, explain, with examples what is meant by the above statement.
2. How do you think the epistolary structure affected the flow, the tone and the plot structure of CARRIE? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How do you think this story would have changed if it had been written in a non-epistolary way in which the events take place in a chronological, story form? Do you think this would improve or detract from the book? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,033 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)