Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carrie embarrassed?
2. Where does Billy go?
3. Who does Chris call after leaving the decorating group?
4. How are Carrie's parents described?
5. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Billy and Chris do when the town is on fire and what happens when they do it?
2. Why did Sue do what she did after the prom?
3. What occurs between Sue and Carrie as Carrie is dying?
4. What did Cora find out at the school and what does she want to know?
5. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
6. What is Margret doing while Carrie is at the prom?
7. What does Carrie admit to her mother and what happens with the two of them?
8. How does Sue feel about what she told Chris?
9. How did Billy Nolan use his friends with his plan for prom night?
10. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think CARRIE is successful as a horror novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Stephen King's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Chris Hagensen to Billy Nolan.
2. Compare/contrast the relationship of Chris and Billy to that of Sue and Tommy.
3. Compare/contrast the type of "community" in which Carrie lives to your own.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)