|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie's mother say when she says she is going to the prom?
2. What do the girls do when they see Carrie with blood running down her legs?
3. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
4. What are the girls talking about in gym class?
5. What else disconcerts Mr. Morton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What worries Sue when she is helping to decorate for the prom?
2. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
3. How does Sue feel about what she told Chris?
4. What does Sue think is Chris' main goal about the prom?
5. What does Chris decide after seeing the list of names for possible king and queen of the prom?
6. Where does the gym teacher take Carrie and what is done with her that day?
7. What is thought to be the connection between Carrie's ability and her menstrual cycle?
8. What does Sue Snell say to Tommy about Carrie and the gym incident and how does she feel?
9. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
10. What does Billy Nolan do to prepare for prom night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of abuse in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of revenge in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The principal of the school and Miss Desjardin resigned, but it isn't explained if they stayed in the town of Chamberlain. It appears that both of those educators felt in retrospect that they should have done something, or perhaps have foreseen that something had the potential of happening that night.
1. Do you think these two characters could have prevented what happened the night of the prom? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There is considerable debate in society whether schools are responsible for some of the moral upbringing of children. Some say educators are there to educate and parents are responsible for children's morals. Others say schools should play a role in teaching children right from wrong. Discuss the two sides of this issue and your own opinion,
3. People often feel responsible for events around them when they have little power to change situations. Explain why you think people tend to do that and why it might impact their lives negatively to do so.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)