|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris Hargensen tell her friend?
2. What does Billy put on ice?
3. What does Chris think is possible on prom night?
4. What do the girls do when they see Carrie with blood running down her legs?
5. What happens to the boy who shouts at Carrie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
2. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
3. How does Carrie respond to the girls in gym class?
4. Why doesn't the commission know what Tommy's motives were the night of the prom?
5. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
6. What does Chris decide after seeing the list of names for possible king and queen of the prom?
7. How does Sue feel about what she told Chris?
8. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
9. Why would Margret White yell at the neighbors and what did one do to taunt her?
10. What does Carrie think about Tommy's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Carrie thinks she is obtaining justice by killing off the students at the prom. Was she wrong or correct? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell. How are they the same? How are they different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better person, Chris Hargensen or Sue? Why? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)