|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue Snell tell Tommy Ross?
2. What does Sue Snell suddenly realize?
3. How is Carrie treated at home?
4. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
5. What are Carrie's abilities like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margret do when Carrie tells her she is going to the prom even though her mother had said no?
2. Where does Sue Snell run into Chris Hargensen and what happens during their encounter?
3. Why does Mr. Grayle tell Chris Hargensen's father she may not go to the prom and with what does Grayle threaten Chris' father?
4. What does Sue Snell realize when the gym teacher comes in? What does the teacher do?
5. What does Margret White tell Carrie about her menstrual cycle, and what does she do? How does Carrie respond?
6. What is thought to be the connection between Carrie's ability and her menstrual cycle?
7. Why would Margret White yell at the neighbors and what did one do to taunt her?
8. What does Sue think is Chris' main goal about the prom?
9. How does Carrie practice her ability?
10. What happens at school in gym class when Carrie is seventeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell. How are they the same? How are they different? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Chris Hargensen and Sue Snell have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better person, Chris Hargensen or Sue? Why? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the general literary category of fiction and the genre of horror fiction, although it has characteristics of other genres also. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term genre. Give examples of at least five types of genre and why they belong to their specific genre.
2. Why do you think books are categorized by genre? What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
3. To what other genres could this book possibly belong? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen King.
2. What in King's background may have helped King in writing CARRIE? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)