|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie do when she gets mad at her mother?
2. At what is Chris's dad not successful?
3. What does Sue Snell suddenly realize?
4. Who is going to get an awful surprise at the prom?
5. What does Billy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Grayle tell Chris Hargensen's father she may not go to the prom and with what does Grayle threaten Chris' father?
2. Where does Sue Snell run into Chris Hargensen and what happens during their encounter?
3. Why doesn't the commission know what Tommy's motives were the night of the prom?
4. What does Carrie think about Tommy's request?
5. How does Carrie practice her ability?
6. What does Margret White tell Carrie about her menstrual cycle, and what does she do? How does Carrie respond?
7. What does Carrie do to a small boy while walking home and what does she discover about herself?
8. What does Sue Snell say to Tommy about Carrie and the gym incident and how does she feel?
9. What does Margret do when Carrie tells her she is going to the prom even though her mother had said no?
10. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in CARRIE are a mixture of complex (or three dimensional) and flat (or stereotypes) Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Write an in-depth character analysis of CARRIE. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate her. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
2. Write an in-depth character analysis of Sue Snell. Include a physical description, personality traits, and what beliefs motivate him. Is this character round or flat? What do you like and dislike about this character? Why? Give specific examples.
3. Choose three other characters besides Carrie and Sue Snell and write about them in relationship to both Carrie and Sue Snell. Are they friendly or hostile to either main character? Explain with examples. What is their purpose(s) in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of redemption in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of relationships in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of religion in CARRIE. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)