|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prayer does Margret recite?
2. What does Margret White call women's breasts?
3. To what school has Chris Hargensen been accepted?
4. What does Carrie's mother do when she sees Carrie speaking to the neighbor teen?
5. What does one neighbor do just to upset Carrie's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sue Snell run into Chris Hargensen and what happens during their encounter?
2. What happens when Carrie tries on her dress for the prom?
3. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
4. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
5. How does Carrie practice her ability?
6. How is the town of Chamberlain since the prom incident?
7. Why does Carrie return to the prom?
8. What happens when Tommy and Carrie are standing on stage?
9. What is Margret doing while Carrie is at the prom?
10. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
Essay Topic 1
Parents usually hope for the best but often make mistakes.
1. From what has been introduced in the early part of CARRIE, do you think Margret is a good mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Margret's behavior might have pushed Carrie to do what she did? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, this statement: Chris Hargensen's parents were partially responsible for what happened in Chamberlain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think CARRIE is successful as a horror novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Stephen King's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The principal of the school and Miss Desjardin resigned, but it isn't explained if they stayed in the town of Chamberlain. It appears that both of those educators felt in retrospect that they should have done something, or perhaps have foreseen that something had the potential of happening that night.
1. Do you think these two characters could have prevented what happened the night of the prom? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There is considerable debate in society whether schools are responsible for some of the moral upbringing of children. Some say educators are there to educate and parents are responsible for children's morals. Others say schools should play a role in teaching children right from wrong. Discuss the two sides of this issue and your own opinion,
3. People often feel responsible for events around them when they have little power to change situations. Explain why you think people tend to do that and why it might impact their lives negatively to do so.
This section contains 2,969 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)