|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Chris Hargensen with when Sue arrives?
2. What does Carrie's menstrual cycle initiate?
3. What are Sue Snell and other students doing on Wednesday afternoon?
4. For what is Chris angry at Sue?
5. At what is Chris's dad not successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue decide will make things right with Carrie?
2. How does Carrie respond to the girls in gym class?
3. Where does Sue Snell run into Chris Hargensen and what happens during their encounter?
4. What does Carrie think about Tommy's request?
5. What did Carrie's father take to work with him and where is he?
6. What worries Sue when she is helping to decorate for the prom?
7. What does Chris decide after seeing the list of names for possible king and queen of the prom?
8. What does Chris do when she leaves the prom decorating party?
9. What does Sue think is Chris' main goal about the prom?
10. What does Margret do when Carrie tells her she is going to the prom even though her mother had said no?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think CARRIE is successful as a horror novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Stephen King's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Carrie is so quick to assume that people are out to get her that she never realizes that the pig blood at the prom wasn't necessarily meant for her. Carrie has been so abused by the people that should have cared for her, or at least looked out for her, that she can't comprehend how to properly act with people in many respects.
1. Do you think Carrie's assumption about the blood was logical? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Given Carrie's home situation explain why you think she had such a difficult time at school with the other students. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. How much of Carrie's paranoia do you think was the result of her mother's influence and how much did she acquire at school? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Chris Hagensen to Billy Nolan.
2. Compare/contrast the relationship of Chris and Billy to that of Sue and Tommy.
3. Compare/contrast the type of "community" in which Carrie lives to your own.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)