|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
2. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
3. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
4. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
5. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
4. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
5. Who or what does Verrall despise?
6. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
7. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
8. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
9. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
10. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering any pair of like-minded characters in the text, such as Ellis and U Po Kyin, or Verrall and Elizabeth, write an essay comparing and/or contrasting their actions and motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of allusion in the novel. To whom or what does any character (or the narrator) allude? Why are these allusions important to characterization or development of the message? Write an essay in which you discuss the allusions in the novel, explaining their significance to the author's message or purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)