|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
2. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
3. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
4. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
5. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motif of heat in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you identify the author's message using the motif of heat to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)