|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
2. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
3. Who are Francis and Samuel?
4. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
5. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
2. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
3. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
4. Who or what does Verrall despise?
5. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
6. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
7. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
8. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
9. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
10. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examining the roles of the timber companies, the Club, and the English officials in the novel, identify any social institution or aspect of mankind that Orwell criticizes in his novel. Write an essay in identifying Orwell's criticism and support it with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of desperation in characters' decisions and actions in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character and his or her actions as desperate and discuss the consequences that face the character as a result.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)