|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
2. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
3. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
4. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 3
Considering any pair of like-minded characters in the text, such as Ellis and U Po Kyin, or Verrall and Elizabeth, write an essay comparing and/or contrasting their actions and motivations.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)