Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
2. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
3. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
4. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
Consider the contrasting motifs of pride and humility in the text. Who or what can be considered proud in the novel? Who or what would be considered humble? Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's definitions of pride and humility, using examples from the text to support your argument.
George Bernard Shaw said, "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." Consider the roles of hatred and cowardice in the novel. Then write an essay in which you identify Orwell's definition of either concept using textual examples as support.
A German proverb states, "If the eye does not want to see, neither light nor glasses will help." Examine the motif of sight in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character or characters who "do not want to see," and discuss Orwell's message regarding the consequences of such behavior.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)