|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
3. Who commits the murder?
4. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
5. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
2. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
3. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
4. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
5. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
6. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
7. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
8. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
9. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
10. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of female characters in Orwell's novel. Using one or more characters as support, write an essay in which you identify an attitude or message Orwell exhibits about women or femininity in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in Orwell's novel are not what they appear to be to be, or behave in ways that contradict their beliefs. Choose one character and write an essay in which you explore his or her contradicting beliefs and actions.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)