|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
2. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
3. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
4. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
5. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
2. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
3. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
4. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
5. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
6. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
7. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
8. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
9. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
10. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flory uses many allusions in his conversations. Identify at least three of these allusions and identify any character traits Orwell reveals in Flory's allusions. Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's characterization of Flory through his allusions.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)