|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
3. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
4. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
5. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examining the roles of the timber companies, the Club, and the English officials in the novel, identify any social institution or aspect of mankind that Orwell criticizes in his novel. Write an essay in identifying Orwell's criticism and support it with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of female characters in Orwell's novel. Using one or more characters as support, write an essay in which you identify an attitude or message Orwell exhibits about women or femininity in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)