|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
2. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
3. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
4. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
5. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
2. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
3. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
4. Who or what does Verrall despise?
5. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
6. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
7. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
8. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
9. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
10. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of female characters in Orwell's novel. Using one or more characters as support, write an essay in which you identify an attitude or message Orwell exhibits about women or femininity in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Considering any pair of like-minded characters in the text, such as Ellis and U Po Kyin, or Verrall and Elizabeth, write an essay comparing and/or contrasting their actions and motivations.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)