|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
2. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
3. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
4. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
5. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
2. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
3. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
4. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
5. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
6. Who or what does Verrall despise?
7. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
8. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
9. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
10. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the contrasting motifs of pride and humility in the text. Who or what can be considered proud in the novel? Who or what would be considered humble? Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's definitions of pride and humility, using examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Orwell's use of parasites as motif in the novel. In your essay, identify who or what Orwell might consider a parasite. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)