|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
2. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
3. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
4. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
5. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of desperation in characters' decisions and actions in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character and his or her actions as desperate and discuss the consequences that face the character as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of allusion in the novel. To whom or what does any character (or the narrator) allude? Why are these allusions important to characterization or development of the message? Write an essay in which you discuss the allusions in the novel, explaining their significance to the author's message or purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)