|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
2. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
3. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
4. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
5. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
2. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
3. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
4. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
5. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
6. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
7. Who or what does Verrall despise?
8. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
9. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
10. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motif of heat in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you identify the author's message using the motif of heat to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)