|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
2. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
3. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
4. Who are Francis and Samuel?
5. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
2. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
3. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
4. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
5. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
6. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
7. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
8. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
9. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
10. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examining the roles of the timber companies, the Club, and the English officials in the novel, identify any social institution or aspect of mankind that Orwell criticizes in his novel. Write an essay in identifying Orwell's criticism and support it with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the characters in Orwell's novel are not what they appear to be to be, or behave in ways that contradict their beliefs. Choose one character and write an essay in which you explore his or her contradicting beliefs and actions.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)