|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
2. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
3. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
4. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
5. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
2. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
3. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
4. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
5. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
6. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
7. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
8. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
9. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
10. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Examining the roles of the timber companies, the Club, and the English officials in the novel, identify any social institution or aspect of mankind that Orwell criticizes in his novel. Write an essay in identifying Orwell's criticism and support it with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)