|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
2. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
3. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
4. The Club is ______________________.
5. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
2. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
3. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
4. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
5. Why is Flory so lonely?
6. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
7. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
8. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
9. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
10. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of desperation in characters' decisions and actions in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character and his or her actions as desperate and discuss the consequences that face the character as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Orwell's use of parasites as motif in the novel. In your essay, identify who or what Orwell might consider a parasite. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)