Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of allusion in the novel. To whom or what does any character (or the narrator) allude? Why are these allusions important to characterization or development of the message? Write an essay in which you discuss the allusions in the novel, explaining their significance to the author's message or purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 3
Flory uses many allusions in his conversations. Identify at least three of these allusions and identify any character traits Orwell reveals in Flory's allusions. Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's characterization of Flory through his allusions.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)