|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
2. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
3. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
2. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
3. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
4. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
5. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
6. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
7. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
8. Describe the European Club.
9. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
10. Why is Flory so lonely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motif of heat in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you identify the author's message using the motif of heat to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the contrasting motifs of pride and humility in the text. Who or what can be considered proud in the novel? Who or what would be considered humble? Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's definitions of pride and humility, using examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)