|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
2. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
3. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
4. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
5. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
2. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
3. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
4. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
5. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
6. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
7. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
8. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
9. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
10. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)