|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Flo?
2. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
3. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
4. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
5. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
2. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
3. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
4. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
5. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
6. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
7. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
8. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
9. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
10. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the characters in Orwell's novel are not what they appear to be to be, or behave in ways that contradict their beliefs. Choose one character and write an essay in which you explore his or her contradicting beliefs and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Considering any pair of like-minded characters in the text, such as Ellis and U Po Kyin, or Verrall and Elizabeth, write an essay comparing and/or contrasting their actions and motivations.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)