Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Some of the characters in Orwell's novel are not what they appear to be to be, or behave in ways that contradict their beliefs. Choose one character and write an essay in which you explore his or her contradicting beliefs and actions.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Orwell's use of parasites as motif in the novel. In your essay, identify who or what Orwell might consider a parasite. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Considering any pair of like-minded characters in the text, such as Ellis and U Po Kyin, or Verrall and Elizabeth, write an essay comparing and/or contrasting their actions and motivations.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)