|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
2. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
3. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
4. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
5. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
2. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
5. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
6. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
7. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
8. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
9. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
10. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
Essay Topic 2
George Bernard Shaw said, "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." Consider the roles of hatred and cowardice in the novel. Then write an essay in which you identify Orwell's definition of either concept using textual examples as support.
Essay Topic 3
If, as Roseanne Cash states, "The key to change... is to let go of fear," consider the potential for change among the characters or institutions in the novel. Write an essay in which you argue for or against the potential for change in any character or institution, considering Cash's statement.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)