|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
2. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
3. What does Flory's clerk bring him?
4. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
5. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
2. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
3. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
4. Describe the European Club.
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
7. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
8. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
9. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
10. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the characters in Orwell's novel are not what they appear to be to be, or behave in ways that contradict their beliefs. Choose one character and write an essay in which you explore his or her contradicting beliefs and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)