Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motif of heat in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you identify the author's message using the motif of heat to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)