|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
2. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
3. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
4. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
5. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
2. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
3. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
4. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
5. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
6. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
7. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
8. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
9. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
10. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry Louis Mencken said, "There is something even more valuable to civilization than wisdom, and that is character." Consider Orwell's messages about civilization in the novel. Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Mencken's statement using examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
A German proverb states, "If the eye does not want to see, neither light nor glasses will help." Examine the motif of sight in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character or characters who "do not want to see," and discuss Orwell's message regarding the consequences of such behavior.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)