|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
2. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
3. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
4. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
5. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
2. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
3. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
4. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
5. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
6. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
7. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
8. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
9. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
10. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Orwell's use of parasites as motif in the novel. In your essay, identify who or what Orwell might consider a parasite. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
George Bernard Shaw said, "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." Consider the roles of hatred and cowardice in the novel. Then write an essay in which you identify Orwell's definition of either concept using textual examples as support.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)