|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
2. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
3. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
4. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
5. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
2. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
3. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
4. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
5. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
6. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
7. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
8. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
9. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
10. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of desperation in characters' decisions and actions in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character and his or her actions as desperate and discuss the consequences that face the character as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
Essay Topic 3
Flory uses many allusions in his conversations. Identify at least three of these allusions and identify any character traits Orwell reveals in Flory's allusions. Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's characterization of Flory through his allusions.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)