|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
2. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
3. What does U Po Kyin believe will bring him merit at the end of the chapter?
4. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
5. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
2. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
3. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
4. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
5. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
6. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
7. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
8. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
9. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
10. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
Essay Topic 2
Flory uses many allusions in his conversations. Identify at least three of these allusions and identify any character traits Orwell reveals in Flory's allusions. Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's characterization of Flory through his allusions.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of the setting of the novel. Write an essay in which you identify at least three facets of the setting that directly impact events of the novel. Use the text to develop and support your argument.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)