|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
2. How does MacGregor start his day?
3. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
4. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
5. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
3. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
4. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
5. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
6. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
7. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
8. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
9. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
10. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles of nature and the natural in Orwell's novel. Write an essay in which you explore the significance of nature and the natural in relation to Orwell's message.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of allusion in the novel. To whom or what does any character (or the narrator) allude? Why are these allusions important to characterization or development of the message? Write an essay in which you discuss the allusions in the novel, explaining their significance to the author's message or purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the contrasting motifs of pride and humility in the text. Who or what can be considered proud in the novel? Who or what would be considered humble? Write an essay in which you explore Orwell's definitions of pride and humility, using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)