|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Consider Orwell's use of parasites as motif in the novel. In your essay, identify who or what Orwell might consider a parasite. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
If, as Roseanne Cash states, "The key to change... is to let go of fear," consider the potential for change among the characters or institutions in the novel. Write an essay in which you argue for or against the potential for change in any character or institution, considering Cash's statement.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell's novel contains many examples of power and weakness. Consider Orwell's purpose or intent in developing these motifs. Then write an essay in which you use examples of power and weakness to support an argument for Orwell's purpose.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)