|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
2. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
3. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
4. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
5. What game do the Englishmen play In the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
2. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
3. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
4. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
5. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
6. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
7. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
8. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
9. Why is Flory so lonely?
10. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how any character deals with the concepts of shame or disappointment in the novel. In your essay, choose at least three examples of the character's behavior and support your argument using these.
Essay Topic 2
A German proverb states, "If the eye does not want to see, neither light nor glasses will help." Examine the motif of sight in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character or characters who "do not want to see," and discuss Orwell's message regarding the consequences of such behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Examining the roles of the timber companies, the Club, and the English officials in the novel, identify any social institution or aspect of mankind that Orwell criticizes in his novel. Write an essay in identifying Orwell's criticism and support it with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)