|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three events instigated or exacerbated by racism in the novel, and write an essay in which you discuss the role of racism in pivotal events.
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy suggests the role of the artist is to communicate emotion clearly and sincerely. Write an essay in which you consider Burmese Days as a work of art, holding it up to Tolstoy's standard.
Essay Topic 3
A German proverb states, "If the eye does not want to see, neither light nor glasses will help." Examine the motif of sight in the novel. Write an essay in which you identify any character or characters who "do not want to see," and discuss Orwell's message regarding the consequences of such behavior.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)