|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
2. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
(a) continues drinking and carousing with local women.
(b) attempts to seduce Ma Hla May.
(c) refuses to appear at the club.
(d) attempts to rape Elizabeth.
3. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(b) in love with Elizabeth.
(c) destined to remain a bachelor.
(d) in love with Ma Hla May.
4. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(a) middle class.
5. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
2. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
3. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
4. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
5. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
2. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
3. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
4. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
5. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
6. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
7. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
8. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
9. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
10. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)