|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to speak to him.
(b) He sees her interest in the Burmese people.
(c) He is caught up in the noise and the crowd.
(d) He is busy buying his groceries.
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(b) Fear and resentment
(c) Guilt and self-loathing
(d) Courage and exhilaration
3. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Ma Hla May.
(b) destined to remain a bachelor.
(c) in love with Elizabeth.
(d) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
4. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
(a) He searches out Maxwell's murderer.
(b) He proposes to Elizabeth.
(c) He rides his horse on the maidan opposite the cemetary.
(d) He leaves town on the train to Mandalay.
5. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) hard, fearless, and brutal.
(b) soft, feminine, and curious.
(c) bored and unintelligent.
(d) intelligent and amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
2. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
3. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
4. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
5. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
2. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
3. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
4. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
5. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
6. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
7. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
8. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
9. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
10. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)