|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(b) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(c) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(d) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
2. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(b) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(c) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(d) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
3. Why do Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth rush to the train station?
(a) They have heard that Verrall is leaving without saying goodbye.
(b) They have heard that the trains are not running in the rain.
(c) They have heard that Lackersteen is returning from camp.
(d) They have heard that Verrall is arriving from Mandalay.
4. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(d) inform him they are no longer friends.
5. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Guilt and self-loathing
(b) Courage and exhilaration
(c) Fear and resentment
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
2. Who commits the murder?
3. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
4. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
5. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)