|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Elizabeth's uncles.
(b) Two English men from the Club.
(c) Flory's servants.
(d) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
2. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is not an experienced hunter.
(d) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
3. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his kindness first.
(b) She remembers his courage first.
(c) She remembers his drinking first.
(d) She remembers his birthmark first.
4. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
(a) Ellis has attacked a group of local boys and the Burmese want revenge.
(b) Ellis has murdered Maxwell, and the Burmese want justice.
(c) Ellis has murdered a local boy, and the Burmese want revenge.
(d) Ellis has published an unflattering article of the Burmese.
5. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
2. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
3. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
4. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
5. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
2. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
3. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
4. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
5. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
6. Who or what does Verrall despise?
7. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
8. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
9. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
10. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)