|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) inform him they are no longer friends.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(d) apologize for signing the notice against him.
2. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
(b) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(c) he is not interested in marriage.
(d) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
3. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(b) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(c) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(d) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
4. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
5. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
(a) Carrying on a conversation with the Burman canoe-man
(b) Carrying the gun in her lap
(c) Watching the scenery go by
(d) Shooting at birds
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
2. At the end of the chapter, Flory begins to believe ______________________________.
3. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
4. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
5. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
2. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
3. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
4. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
5. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
6. Who or what does Verrall despise?
7. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
8. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
9. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
10. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)