|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(b) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(c) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(d) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
2. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
(a) She starts to embrace Burmese culture.
(b) She is less inhibited when she is drunk.
(c) She wears her hair down.
(d) She is not wearing spectacles.
3. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(b) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(c) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
(d) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
4. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
5. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
(a) The rain has finally stopped.
(b) The English have returned to their camps.
(c) The rain has finally started.
(d) The river has overflowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
2. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
3. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
4. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
5. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
4. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
5. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
6. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
7. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
8. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
9. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
10. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)