|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(c) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(d) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
2. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(b) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(c) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(d) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
3. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) wants her to return with him to England.
(b) has a Burmese wife.
(c) does not find her attractive.
(d) wants her to admire the Burmese.
4. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) avoid her aunt and uncle
(c) go hunting together
(d) talk intimately
5. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Wets himself on the floor
(b) Wants her to hold him
(c) Climbs up on to her lap
(d) Cries upon seeing her
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
2. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
3. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
4. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
5. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
2. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
3. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
4. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
5. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
6. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
7. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
8. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
9. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
10. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)