|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
(b) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(c) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
(d) he is not interested in marriage.
2. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
3. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
(a) Verrall has given Elizabeth money on many occasions.
(b) Verrall has mentioned he plans to marry Elizabeth only if her family is wealthy.,
(c) Verrall has made no motions to marry Elizabeth even though they have had an affair.
(d) Verrall has refused to give Elizabeth money when she has asked for it.
4. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(a) middle class.
5. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Wants her to hold him
(b) Cries upon seeing her
(c) Wets himself on the floor
(d) Climbs up on to her lap
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
2. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
3. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
4. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
5. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
2. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
3. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
4. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
5. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
6. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
7. Who or what does Verrall despise?
8. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
9. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
10. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)