|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He is not a good rider.
(c) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(d) He does not know the rules of the game.
2. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(b) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(c) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(d) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
3. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(a) middle class.
4. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a silver orb.
(b) an envious goddess.
(c) a Japanese lantern.
(d) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
5. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(b) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(c) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(d) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
2. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
3. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
4. At the end of the chapter, Flory begins to believe ______________________________.
5. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
2. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
3. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
4. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
5. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
6. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
7. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
8. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
9. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
10. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)