|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he often apologizes afterward.
(b) he always regrets his behavior.
(c) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
(d) he never suffers serious consequences.
2. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Dizzy with her own power over the men
(b) Angry at herself
(d) Overcome by happiness
3. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
(b) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
(c) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(d) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
4. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
(a) Mrs. Lackersteen invites him to dinner.
(b) They approach him and he cannot escape them.
(c) They approach him and he is delighted to speak to them.
(d) He notices Elizabeth's beauty from a distance.
5. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(c) Burmese culture
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
2. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
3. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
4. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
5. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
2. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
3. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
4. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
5. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
6. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
7. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
8. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
9. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
10. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)