|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
(a) they are not attracted to one another.
(b) they are not concerned about marriage.
(c) they are no closer to finding a romantic attachment.
(d) they are no more or less intimate than they were in the beginning.
2. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
3. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He has enormous debts to pay.
(b) He has no other training or prospects.
(c) He needs to escape from a woman.
(d) He is running from the law in England.
4. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(b) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
(c) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
(d) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
5. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(b) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(c) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(d) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
2. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
3. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
4. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
5. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
2. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
3. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
4. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
5. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
6. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
7. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
8. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
9. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
10. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)