|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
(a) They are all in mourning for several weeks.
(b) They are relieved that he will no longer harrass them.
(c) They are so angry that they stage a riot against the locals.
(d) They are outraged but not personally saddened.
2. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
(a) The prisoners ruin it when they try to cure it.
(b) Elizabeth refuses to see Flory when he arrives.
(c) Elizabeth rejects the offer of the gift outright.
(d) The prisoners sell it and replace it with a fake.
3. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he often apologizes afterward.
(b) he never suffers serious consequences.
(c) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
(d) he always regrets his behavior.
4. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a journey into their hearts.
(b) a relief from the heat of the day.
(c) an oppressive struggle.
(d) a wonderland of beauty.
5. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(c) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(d) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
2. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
3. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
4. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
5. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
4. Who or what does Verrall despise?
5. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
6. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
7. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
8. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
9. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
10. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)