|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) has a Burmese wife.
(b) wants her to return with him to England.
(c) does not find her attractive.
(d) wants her to admire the Burmese.
2. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(d) inform him they are no longer friends.
3. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
(a) Her fear of Lackersteen's infidelity
(b) Her distaste for Burmese culture
(c) Her social aspirations
(d) Her drinking problem
4. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
(a) They have lived in warm climates their entire lives.
(b) They are busy drinking most of the time, and do not notice.
(c) They are young, and heat does not bother the young.
(d) They are too distracted by each other to notice.
5. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to marray Flory
(b) Threatening to leave at once
(c) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(d) Threatening to tell the police
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
2. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
3. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
4. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
5. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
2. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
3. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
4. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
5. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
6. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
7. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
8. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
9. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
10. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)