|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(c) middle class.
2. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
(b) Elizabeth's uncles.
(c) Two English men from the Club.
(d) Flory's servants.
3. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) timid and conciliatory
(b) warm and inviting
(c) aloof and superior
(d) hostile and forbidding
4. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to hear his offer.
(b) He is interrupted twice.
(c) Lackersteen finds them kissing outside and objects.
(d) Flory loses his nerve because of his birthmark.
5. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
(b) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(c) They are responsive to the idea.
(d) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
2. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
3. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
4. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
5. Who commits the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
2. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
3. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
4. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
5. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
6. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
7. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
8. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
9. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
10. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)