|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He needs to escape from a woman.
(b) He has no other training or prospects.
(c) He is running from the law in England.
(d) He has enormous debts to pay.
2. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) has a Burmese wife.
(b) does not find her attractive.
(c) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(d) wants her to return with him to England.
3. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) bored and unintelligent.
(b) intelligent and amused.
(c) hard, fearless, and brutal.
(d) soft, feminine, and curious.
4. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
5. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
(a) Gets drunk and confronts Elizabeth
(b) Gets drunk and engages a Burmese prostitute
(c) Leaves immediately for England
(d) Leaves immediately for the camp
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
2. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
3. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
4. Who are Francis and Samuel?
5. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
2. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
3. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
4. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
5. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
6. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
7. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
8. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
9. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
10. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)