|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
2. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(b) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(c) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(d) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
3. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
(b) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
(c) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(d) he is not interested in marriage.
4. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(b) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(c) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(d) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
5. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
(a) He is more aware of the beauty of nature because he is in love.
(b) He is indifferent to the beauty of nature because he is mourning the loss of Elizabeth.
(c) He is provoked and emboldened by the beauty of nature.
(d) He is unaware of the beauty of nature because his work has distracted him.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
2. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
3. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
4. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
5. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
2. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
3. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
4. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
5. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
6. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
7. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
8. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
9. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
10. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)