|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Elizabeth's uncles.
(b) Flory's servants.
(c) Two English men from the Club.
(d) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
2. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to tell the police
(b) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(c) Threatening to marray Flory
(d) Threatening to leave at once
3. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
(a) He leaves town on the train to Mandalay.
(b) He searches out Maxwell's murderer.
(c) He proposes to Elizabeth.
(d) He rides his horse on the maidan opposite the cemetary.
4. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
5. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
(a) They have lived in warm climates their entire lives.
(b) They are busy drinking most of the time, and do not notice.
(c) They are young, and heat does not bother the young.
(d) They are too distracted by each other to notice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
2. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
3. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
4. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
2. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
3. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
4. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
5. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
6. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
7. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
8. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
9. What causes the change in Flory's mood after he visits Dr. Veraswami?
10. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)