|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(b) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(c) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
2. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he never suffers serious consequences.
(b) he always regrets his behavior.
(c) he often apologizes afterward.
(d) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
3. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He needs to escape from a woman.
(b) He is running from the law in England.
(c) He has no other training or prospects.
(d) He has enormous debts to pay.
4. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall declines the invitation.
(b) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(c) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
5. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(b) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(c) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(d) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
2. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
3. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
4. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
5. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
2. Who or what does Verrall despise?
3. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
4. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
5. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
6. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
7. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
8. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
9. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
10. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)