|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
(a) for what you are.
(b) for who you know.
(c) for your past.
(d) for what you own.
2. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
(b) he never suffers serious consequences.
(c) he often apologizes afterward.
(d) he always regrets his behavior.
3. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) talk intimately
(c) avoid her aunt and uncle
(d) go hunting together
4. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
(a) They approach him and he cannot escape them.
(b) They approach him and he is delighted to speak to them.
(c) Mrs. Lackersteen invites him to dinner.
(d) He notices Elizabeth's beauty from a distance.
5. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(b) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(c) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(d) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
2. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
3. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
4. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
5. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
2. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
3. Why does Flory's birthmark discourage him from kissing Elizabeth?
4. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
5. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
6. Who or what does Verrall despise?
7. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
8. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
9. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
10. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)