|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(b) They are responsive to the idea.
(c) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
(d) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
2. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
(b) she may be able to hunt a dog.
(c) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
(d) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
3. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(c) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(d) Verrall declines the invitation.
4. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(c) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(d) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
5. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He does not know the rules of the game.
(b) He is too old.
(c) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(d) He is not a good rider.
Short Answer Questions
1. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
2. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
3. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
4. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
5. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
2. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
3. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
4. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
5. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
6. What do Ellis and Westfield plan to do in response to Maxwell's murder?
7. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
8. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
9. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
10. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)