|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
(a) Ellis has murdered Maxwell, and the Burmese want justice.
(b) Ellis has murdered a local boy, and the Burmese want revenge.
(c) Ellis has published an unflattering article of the Burmese.
(d) Ellis has attacked a group of local boys and the Burmese want revenge.
2. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a wonderland of beauty.
(b) an oppressive struggle.
(c) a journey into their hearts.
(d) a relief from the heat of the day.
3. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his drinking first.
(b) She remembers his birthmark first.
(c) She remembers his kindness first.
(d) She remembers his courage first.
4. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(b) Courage and exhilaration
(c) Fear and resentment
(d) Guilt and self-loathing
5. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(b) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
2. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
3. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
4. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
5. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
2. Why does Ellis get involved in a skirmish with the local boys?
3. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
4. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
5. Who or what does Verrall despise?
6. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
7. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
8. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
9. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
10. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)