|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
2. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(b) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(c) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(d) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
3. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(b) Verrall declines the invitation.
(c) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
4. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
(a) They approach him and he is delighted to speak to them.
(b) They approach him and he cannot escape them.
(c) Mrs. Lackersteen invites him to dinner.
(d) He notices Elizabeth's beauty from a distance.
5. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(b) in love with Elizabeth.
(c) destined to remain a bachelor.
(d) in love with Ma Hla May.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
2. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
3. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
4. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
5. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
2. Why might Elizabeth enjoy holding the gun?
3. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
4. How does Flory arrange to stay in town to be around Elizabeth?
5. What do Elizabeth's comments about the Burmese reveal about her?
6. How does Orwell describe the leopard as it is being killed?
7. Why do the Englishmen decide that Verrall is ungracious?
8. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
9. What is the result of Ellis' confrontation with the local boys?
10. What choice does Macgregor offer the Englishmen in regards to electing a native member of the Club?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)