Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(b) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(c) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(d) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) be a parasite upon them
(d) defeat the weak among his own people.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
(a) he wants a beard to grow in and hide his birthmark.
(b) he is too hot to do anything physical.
(c) he does not want to look in the mirror until he has had a few drinks.
(d) he is afraid of germs in the water.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
(b) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
(c) she is wet from swimming in the river.
(d) she is sick from eating table scraps.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was refusing to become a man.
(b) He was "fighting his own battles."
(c) He was "sticking by his job."
(d) He was "choosing peace."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does MacGregor start his day?
2. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
3. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
4. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
5. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
2. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Why has Ma Hla May returned to the church?
5. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
6. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
9. What unpleasant event does Elizabeth face before going to the Club?
10. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)