|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Rise from a chair
(b) Prepare his own food
(c) Acquire merit
(d) Decide court cases
2. Ko S'la is __________________.
(a) Flory's servant.
(b) Flory's mistress.
(c) Flory's best friend.
(d) Flory's cook.
3. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) an animal is beyond his status level.
(b) an animal is beneath contempt.
(c) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
(d) a woman is beyond his status level.
4. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
(a) He does not want natives admitted to the club.
(b) He agrees with Ellis after all.
(c) He does not have the courage to refuse.
(d) He feels Veraswami should be punished.
5. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has not broken any laws at all.
(b) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(c) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(d) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
2. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
3. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
4. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
5. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
2. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
3. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
4. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
5. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
6. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
7. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
8. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
9. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
10. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)