|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he is late for a date with his mistress.
(b) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(c) his dog needs to go out.
(d) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
2. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Ellis
(b) Mr. Chesterton
(c) Mr. Lackersteen
(d) Mr. Flory
3. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(b) The English
(d) The Burmese Natives
4. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels angry.
(b) he feels ashamed of himself.
(c) he is attracted to a woman.
(d) someone wants to touch him.
5. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To give it to Ellis
(b) To ignore it
(c) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(d) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
2. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
3. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
4. What does Flory's clerk bring him?
5. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
2. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
3. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
4. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
5. Why is Flory so lonely?
6. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
7. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
8. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
9. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
10. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)