|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
(b) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(c) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
(d) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
2. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(b) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(c) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(d) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
3. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and fighting with natives.
(b) working around the clock.
(c) drinking and visiting whores.
(d) saving money to send home to his parents.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
(b) she is wet from swimming in the river.
(c) she is sick from eating table scraps.
(d) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
5. What does Flory's clerk bring him?
(a) A letter from England
(b) An anonymous letter telling him to avoid Ma Hla May
(c) An anonymous letter warning him about Veraswami
(d) A letter from Macgregor
Short Answer Questions
1. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
2. Who objects to scandal among the men?
3. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
4. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
5. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
2. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
3. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
4. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
5. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
6. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
7. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
8. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
9. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
10. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)