|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
(a) a mixture of tolerance and disgust.
(b) a mixture of delight and anticipation.
(c) a mixture of love and respect.
(d) a mixture of fear and excitement.
2. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
(a) Elizabeth has come to Burma to find a husband.
(b) U Po Kyin is out to get him.
(c) Veraswami may be in some kind of trouble.
(d) Elizabeth is not impressed by Burma or the natives.
3. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she reveals that she is lonely.
(b) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(c) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(d) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
4. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Moral failings
(b) Dark spells
(c) Unfortunate episodes
(d) Formative periods
5. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
(a) A dip in the pond
(b) A walk in the woods
(c) A burst of sunshine
(d) A cool breeze
Short Answer Questions
1. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
2. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
3. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
4. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
5. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the European Club.
2. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
3. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
4. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
5. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
6. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
7. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
8. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
9. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
10. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)