|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) short, light and fresh.
(b) swift, passionate and enormous.
(c) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(d) sparse, lonely and bland.
2. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
(a) She notices Flory's birthmark and is repulsed by it.
(b) She and Flory find the servants watching them talk.
(c) She realizes Flory is sympathetic to the natives.
(d) She realizes her uncle does not like Flory.
3. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was "choosing peace."
(b) He was refusing to become a man.
(c) He was "fighting his own battles."
(d) He was "sticking by his job."
4. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(b) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(c) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(d) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
5. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(b) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
(c) someone with whom he can share his life.
(d) someone to fight Ellis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
2. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
3. Ba Taik is ___________
4. Where and when does the story take place?
5. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
2. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
3. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
4. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
5. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
6. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
7. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
8. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
9. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
10. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)