|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels angry.
(b) he is attracted to a woman.
(c) someone wants to touch him.
(d) he feels ashamed of himself.
2. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
(b) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
(c) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
(d) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
3. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(b) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
(c) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(d) He has not broken any laws at all.
4. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
(b) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
(c) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
(d) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
5. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is bigger than other towns.
(b) It has a social club.
(c) It is hotter than other towns.
(d) It has a railway terminus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
2. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
3. Ko S'la is __________________.
4. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
5. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
2. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
5. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
6. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
7. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
8. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
9. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
10. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)