|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(b) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(c) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
(d) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
2. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his hand
(b) A scar on his face
(c) A mole on his face
(d) A birthmark on his face
3. Ko S'la is __________________.
(a) Flory's servant.
(b) Flory's mistress.
(c) Flory's cook.
(d) Flory's best friend.
4. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
(a) Flory is resented but tolerated.
(b) Flory is welcomed, but only because he is beneficial to Veraswami's goals.
(c) Flory is treated as an intruder in Veraswami's personal life.
(d) Flory is welcomed and respected by Veraswami.
5. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(b) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(c) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(d) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objects to scandal among the men?
2. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
3. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
4. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
5. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
2. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
3. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
4. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
5. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
6. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
7. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
8. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
9. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
10. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)