|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her drink
(b) her wardrobe
(c) her husband's job
(d) her servants
2. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) exercise until he sweats.
(b) hide from others.
(c) take a trip home.
(d) get as drunk as possible.
3. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
(b) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(c) He hates Burma.
(d) He could not function without his servants.
4. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(b) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(c) To ignore it
(d) To give it to Ellis
5. Who accompanies Elizabeth to her uncle's house?
(a) Flory's servant, Ko S'la
(b) Flory himself
(c) Dr. Veraswami
(d) Flory's mistress, Ma Hla May
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
2. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
3. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
4. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
5. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
2. The description of the evening on which Elizabeth and Verrall dance sets what kind of tone for their relationship?
3. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
4. What happens for Flory as a result of his role in the riot?
5. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
6. What is Mrs. Lackersteen's plan for Elizabeth?
7. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
8. In what position does Elizabeth find herself near the end of the novel?
9. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
10. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)