|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(b) The Burmese Natives
(c) The English
2. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is Burmese.
(b) That she is Flory's mistress.
(c) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
(d) That she refuses to do laundry.
3. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
(a) join Flory for all his meals.
(b) come in for tea but not for other meals.
(c) borrow Flory's money without asking.
(d) wear her sandals in the house.
4. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
(b) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
(c) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
(d) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
5. Mrs. Lackersteen believes the natives are _________________________.
(a) afraid of offending the English.
(b) too submissive to the English.
(c) ungrateful to the English.
(d) planning to overthrow the English.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
2. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
3. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
4. What does U Po Kyin believe will bring him merit at the end of the chapter?
5. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
2. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
3. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
4. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
5. Why is Flory so lonely?
6. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
7. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
8. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
9. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
10. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)