|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she is an irresponsible drinker.
(b) she will make him stop drinking.
(c) she will make him leave immediately.
(d) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
2. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is bigger than other towns.
(b) It has a social club.
(c) It has a railway terminus.
(d) It is hotter than other towns.
3. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(b) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(c) she reveals that she is lonely.
(d) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
4. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
(a) wear her sandals in the house.
(b) join Flory for all his meals.
(c) borrow Flory's money without asking.
(d) come in for tea but not for other meals.
5. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) short, light and fresh.
(b) swift, passionate and enormous.
(c) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(d) sparse, lonely and bland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where and when does the story take place?
2. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
3. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
4. What does Mrs. Lackersteen imply to Elizabeth?
5. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
2. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
3. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
4. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
5. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
6. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
7. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
8. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
9. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
10. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)