|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
(b) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
(c) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
(d) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
2. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
(b) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(c) He has not broken any laws at all.
(d) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
3. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin's attempts to bribe him.
(b) Flory's health.
(c) the English refusing him entrance to the Club.
(d) U Po Kyin's plot against him.
4. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(b) drive him away from the Club.
(c) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
(d) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
5. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(b) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
(c) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(d) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
Short Answer Questions
1. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
2. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
3. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
4. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
5. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the European Club.
2. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
3. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
4. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
5. Why is Flory so lonely?
6. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
7. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
8. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
9. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
10. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)