|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
(b) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
(c) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
(d) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
2. Mrs. Lackersteen believes the natives are _________________________.
(a) too submissive to the English.
(b) planning to overthrow the English.
(c) afraid of offending the English.
(d) ungrateful to the English.
3. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a traveller and a salesman.
(b) a liar and a boxer.
(c) a liar and a footballer.
(d) a friend to the unfortunate.
4. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) are behind U Po Kyin.
(b) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
(c) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(d) trust Veraswami completely.
5. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
(a) being European among Burmese.
(b) never experiencing beauty.
(c) feeling racist.
(d) being alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
2. How does MacGregor start his day?
3. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
4. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
5. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
2. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
3. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
4. Why is Flory so lonely?
5. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
6. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
7. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
8. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
9. Describe the European Club.
10. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)