|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
(a) freedom of religion.
(b) freedom of speech.
(c) freedom to marry a native.
(d) freedom of choice.
2. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Prepare his own food
(b) Acquire merit
(c) Decide court cases
(d) Rise from a chair
3. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) drive him away from the Club.
(b) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(c) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
(d) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
4. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(b) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(c) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
(d) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
5. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(b) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(c) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
(d) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
2. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
3. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
4. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
5. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
2. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
3. Why is Flory so lonely?
4. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
5. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
6. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
7. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
8. Describe the European Club.
9. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
10. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)