|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(b) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
(c) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(d) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
2. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(b) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(c) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(d) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
3. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(b) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
(c) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(d) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
4. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) saving money to send home to his parents.
(b) drinking and fighting with natives.
(c) working around the clock.
(d) drinking and visiting whores.
5. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Lackersteen
(b) Mr. Chesterton
(c) Mr. Flory
(d) Mr. Ellis
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
2. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
3. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
4. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
5. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ma Hla May's behavior changed?
2. Why is Flory so lonely?
3. In what position does Flory find himself at the end of Chapter 19?
4. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
5. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
6. What is U Po Kyin's version of the love triangle between Flory, Elizabeth and Verrall?
7. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
8. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
9. Describe the European Club.
10. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)