|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(b) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
(c) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
(d) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
2. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
(b) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
(c) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
(d) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
3. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Lord of all he surveys
(b) Misunderstood genius
(c) Spineless cur
(d) Local pariah
4. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
(a) that she has a newspaper article U Po Kyin will want to see.
(b) that she does not have enough bribe money.
(c) that U Po Kyin is the father of her child.
(d) that she is U Po Kyin's daughter.
5. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
(b) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(c) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(d) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
2. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
3. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
4. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
5. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the English men upset over the article in the Burmese Patriot?
2. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
3. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
4. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
5. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
6. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
7. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
8. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
9. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
10. Describe the European Club.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)