|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is Burmese.
(b) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
(c) That she is Flory's mistress.
(d) That she refuses to do laundry.
2. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
(a) A burst of sunshine
(b) A dip in the pond
(c) A cool breeze
(d) A walk in the woods
3. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
(a) jaded and resentful of the English.
(b) tired of the Burmese.
(c) uncomfortable with his friendship with the doctor.
(d) homesick for England.
4. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
(a) He says Ma Hla May is a boy.
(b) He says Ma Hla May is the laundress.
(c) He says Ma Hla May is Ko S'la's wife.
(d) He says Ma Hla May is the jealous type.
5. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her father's time in the military.
(b) her family's immense fortunes.
(c) her time as an artist in Paris.
(d) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
2. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
3. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
4. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
5. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
2. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
3. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
4. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
5. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
6. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
7. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
8. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
9. What seems to be Flory's motivation for ignoring the anonymous letter about Veraswami?
10. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)