|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
(a) Awkward and timid
(b) Cruel and aggressive
(c) Cowardly and dishonorable
(d) Ungrateful and confrontational
2. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(b) swift, passionate and enormous.
(c) sparse, lonely and bland.
(d) short, light and fresh.
3. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
(a) Flory leaves without saying hello to his wife.
(b) Flory refuses to give money to Old Mattu.
(c) Flory does not promise to propose him as a club member.
(d) Flory refuses to help him fight U Po Kyin.
4. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Acquire merit
(b) Prepare his own food
(c) Rise from a chair
(d) Decide court cases
5. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(b) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(c) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
(d) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
2. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
3. How does MacGregor start his day?
4. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
5. What does Mrs. Lackersteen imply to Elizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
2. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
3. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
4. Why does Lackersteen's wife distrust him?
5. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
6. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
7. Why is Flory so lonely?
8. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
9. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
10. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)