|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(a) The English
(d) The Burmese Natives
2. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
(a) freedom of speech.
(b) freedom of religion.
(c) freedom of choice.
(d) freedom to marry a native.
3. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
(b) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(c) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(d) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
4. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A pack of dogs
(b) A sick patient
(c) A pox on humanity
(d) A patient who will not pay his bill
5. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) his ability to see events more clearly.
(b) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
(c) a solution to his problems.
(d) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
2. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
3. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
4. Where and when does the story take place?
5. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Flory so lonely?
2. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
3. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
4. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
5. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
6. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
7. How has U Po Kyin risen to power?
8. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
9. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
10. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)