|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
(a) a civilizing presence.
(b) an unwelcome presence.
(c) an unfortunate necessity.
(d) a pox.
2. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
(a) borrow Flory's money without asking.
(b) join Flory for all his meals.
(c) come in for tea but not for other meals.
(d) wear her sandals in the house.
3. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(b) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
(c) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(d) He has not broken any laws at all.
4. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her time as an artist in Paris.
(b) her family's immense fortunes.
(c) her father's time in the military.
(d) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
5. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
(a) He agrees with Ellis after all.
(b) He does not want natives admitted to the club.
(c) He does not have the courage to refuse.
(d) He feels Veraswami should be punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
2. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
3. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
4. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
5. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
2. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
3. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
4. What has Elizabeth's life been like in Paris?
5. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
6. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
7. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
8. What do Flory's early years in Burma indicate about his character?
9. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
10. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)