|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(b) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(c) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(d) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) be a parasite upon them
(d) defeat the weak among his own people.
3. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
(b) U Po Kyin, the magistrate
(d) Old Mattu, the beggar
4. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(b) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
(c) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(d) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
5. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
(a) he does not want to look in the mirror until he has had a few drinks.
(b) he is afraid of germs in the water.
(c) he wants a beard to grow in and hide his birthmark.
(d) he is too hot to do anything physical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
2. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
3. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
4. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
5. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is U Po Kyin's plan against Dr. Veraswami?
2. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
3. Describe Elizabeth Lackersteen.
4. What attitude does U Po Kyin have about his fatness?
5. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
6. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
7. Why does Flory choose to remain in Burma?
8. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
9. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
10. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)