|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
(a) He does not want natives admitted to the club.
(b) He does not have the courage to refuse.
(c) He agrees with Ellis after all.
(d) He feels Veraswami should be punished.
2. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(b) are behind U Po Kyin.
(c) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
(d) trust Veraswami completely.
3. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) drive him away from the Club.
(b) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
(c) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(d) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
4. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Lackersteen
(b) Mr. Flory
(c) Mr. Chesterton
(d) Mr. Ellis
5. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) hide from others.
(b) get as drunk as possible.
(c) exercise until he sweats.
(d) take a trip home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
2. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
3. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
4. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
5. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
2. Among the visitors to U Po Kyin's house, which of these does he agree to see, and why?
3. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
4. What is Ellis' complaint against the natives?
5. Who are Westfield, Ellis, Lackersteen, Macgregor and Maxwell?
6. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
7. Why did Flory end up in Burma?
8. Why does Flory remain silent while Ellis insults his friend?
9. Why does Flory get rid of Ma Hla May?
10. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)