|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
(a) She runs to him for rescue from the natives.
(b) She screams when she is frightened by a water buffalo.
(c) She faints from the heat on his doorstep.
(d) She screams when she is frightened by Ko S'la.
2. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(b) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(c) drive him away from the Club.
(d) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
3. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels angry.
(b) he is attracted to a woman.
(c) someone wants to touch him.
(d) he feels ashamed of himself.
4. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(b) He could not function without his servants.
(c) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
(d) He hates Burma.
5. What game do the Englishmen play In the evening?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
3. What confrontation does Flory endure?
4. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
5. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
2. How does Veraswami respond to Flory's verbal attacks on his fellow Europeans?
3. Why is Flory unafraid of U Po Kyin?
4. What does the interview in Westfield's office reveal about the native Burmese who work for the police?
5. How does Veraswami react to Flory's refusal to propose him as a member of the Club?
6. Why do Flory and Veraswami continue to have the same argument each time they meet?
7. What is revealed about Flory's childhood in the chapter?
8. How is Veraswami's veranda described?
9. Describe U Po Kyin's servant Ba Taik.
10. Describe the variety show that Flory and Elizabeth attend.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)