|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She mourns extensively.
(b) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(c) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(d) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
2. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
(b) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(c) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
(d) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
3. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and fighting with natives.
(b) working around the clock.
(c) drinking and visiting whores.
(d) saving money to send home to his parents.
4. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
(a) never experiencing beauty.
(b) being European among Burmese.
(c) feeling racist.
(d) being alone.
5. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) get as drunk as possible.
(b) take a trip home.
(c) hide from others.
(d) exercise until he sweats.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
2. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
5. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two riderless ponies indicate about Verrall and Elizabeth?
2. What kind of relationship does U Po Kyin seem to have with Ma Kin?
3. Why is Flory intimidated by Verrall?
4. What is the lie Flory believes the English tell themselves?
5. What has the day of shooting done for Flory and Elizabeth?
6. Why does Flory seem to resent Macgregor?
7. Why does Flory's sudden church attendance concern Ko S'la?
8. What is Elizabeth's attitude toward Flory?
9. Who or what helps Flory through the difficulties he is having at the camp?
10. How is Macgregor different from the other Europeans in the Club?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)