|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) inform him they are no longer friends.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(d) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
2. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
(b) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
(c) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(d) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
3. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
(b) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(c) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(d) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
4. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(b) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
(c) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
(d) They are responsive to the idea.
5. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(b) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(c) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
6. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is not interested in marriage.
(b) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
(c) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(d) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
7. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(c) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(d) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
8. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
(a) The village headman
(b) Ko S'la
(d) The Eurasians
9. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
(a) He is unaware of the beauty of nature because his work has distracted him.
(b) He is provoked and emboldened by the beauty of nature.
(c) He is indifferent to the beauty of nature because he is mourning the loss of Elizabeth.
(d) He is more aware of the beauty of nature because he is in love.
10. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(b) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(c) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(d) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
11. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his birthmark first.
(b) She remembers his kindness first.
(c) She remembers his courage first.
(d) She remembers his drinking first.
12. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a silver orb.
(b) a Japanese lantern.
(c) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(d) an envious goddess.
13. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
(b) she may be able to hunt a dog.
(c) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
(d) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
14. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
(a) right before Flory kills the tiger.
(b) right after she kills a jungle cock.
(c) right after she misses her first shot.
(d) right after they leave the headman's house.
15. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(b) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(c) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(d) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
2. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
3. Who commits the murder?
4. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
5. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)