|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
2. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
(a) right after she misses her first shot.
(b) right after she kills a jungle cock.
(c) right before Flory kills the tiger.
(d) right after they leave the headman's house.
3. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
(a) refuses to appear at the club.
(b) attempts to rape Elizabeth.
(c) continues drinking and carousing with local women.
(d) attempts to seduce Ma Hla May.
4. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(c) Burmese culture
5. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a Japanese lantern.
(b) an envious goddess.
(c) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(d) a silver orb.
6. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(b) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(c) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(d) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
7. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) intelligent and amused.
(b) bored and unintelligent.
(c) soft, feminine, and curious.
(d) hard, fearless, and brutal.
8. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a relief from the heat of the day.
(b) a journey into their hearts.
(c) a wonderland of beauty.
(d) an oppressive struggle.
9. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(b) middle class.
10. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
(a) Gets drunk and confronts Elizabeth
(b) Leaves immediately for England
(c) Leaves immediately for the camp
(d) Gets drunk and engages a Burmese prostitute
11. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
(a) The Eurasians
(b) The village headman
(c) Ko S'la
12. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(c) Verrall declines the invitation.
(d) Verrall ignores the invitation.
13. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
(a) Wise and experienced
(b) Poor and ignorant
(c) Old and shabby
(d) Young and vibrant
14. Who commits the murder?
(a) U Po Kyin commits the murder as revenge.
(b) Maxwell commits the murder.
(c) The relatives of the man Maxwell shot commit the murder.
(d) The relatives of Ma Hla May commit the murder.
15. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(c) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(d) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
2. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
3. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
4. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
5. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)