|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(b) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(c) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
2. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(b) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(c) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(d) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
3. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
4. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) talk intimately
(c) go hunting together
(d) avoid her aunt and uncle
5. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He does not know the rules of the game.
(b) He is not a good rider.
(c) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(d) He is too old.
6. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(d) Burmese culture
7. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
(a) Verrall's body
(b) Maxwell's body
(c) Ellis' body
(d) Westfield's body
8. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
(a) The Eurasians
(b) Ko S'la
(d) The village headman
9. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
10. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
11. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) inform him they are no longer friends.
(b) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(c) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(d) apologize for signing the notice against him.
12. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
(a) Young and vibrant
(b) Wise and experienced
(c) Old and shabby
(d) Poor and ignorant
13. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She looks at him but does not speak.
(c) She runs to him.
(d) She tells Ko S'la to tell Flory not to speak to her.
14. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
(a) The prisoners sell it and replace it with a fake.
(b) Elizabeth refuses to see Flory when he arrives.
(c) Elizabeth rejects the offer of the gift outright.
(d) The prisoners ruin it when they try to cure it.
15. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Cries upon seeing her
(b) Wets himself on the floor
(c) Climbs up on to her lap
(d) Wants her to hold him
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
2. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
3. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
4. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
5. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)