|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
(a) He is interrupted twice.
(b) Flory loses his nerve because of his birthmark.
(c) Lackersteen finds them kissing outside and objects.
(d) Elizabeth refuses to hear his offer.
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Guilt and self-loathing
(c) Fear and resentment
(d) Courage and exhilaration
3. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(b) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
4. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
5. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a Japanese lantern.
(b) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(c) an envious goddess.
(d) a silver orb.
6. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Elizabeth's uncles.
(b) Two English men from the Club.
(c) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
(d) Flory's servants.
7. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
(a) The gravestones of sixteen Europeans.
(b) The rat holes leading down into the graves.
(c) The creeping jasmine and orange-hearted flowers.
(d) The white headstones and neatly trimmed graves.
8. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
(a) continues drinking and carousing with local women.
(b) refuses to appear at the club.
(c) attempts to seduce Ma Hla May.
(d) attempts to rape Elizabeth.
9. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(b) talk intimately
(c) avoid her aunt and uncle
(d) go hunting together
10. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(b) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(c) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(d) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
11. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to marray Flory
(b) Threatening to tell the police
(c) Threatening to leave at once
(d) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
12. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
(b) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
(c) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
(d) she may be able to hunt a dog.
13. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
14. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) hostile and forbidding
(b) warm and inviting
(c) timid and conciliatory
(d) aloof and superior
15. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(d) He is not an experienced hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
2. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
3. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
4. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
5. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)