|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
(a) The gravestones of sixteen Europeans.
(b) The creeping jasmine and orange-hearted flowers.
(c) The white headstones and neatly trimmed graves.
(d) The rat holes leading down into the graves.
2. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
(a) He is a respectable member of Burmese society.
(b) They are afraid of his size and demeanor.
(c) He has had many experiences with earthquakes, and they are interested in his stories.
(d) He insists on being the center of attention.
3. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has refused aid to Flory.
(b) Dr. Veraswami has refused aid to Flory.
(c) Dr. Veraswami has seized any illegal drug to save his reputation.
(d) U Po Kyin ordered a raid to seize the opium.
4. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
5. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Guilt and self-loathing
(b) Fear and resentment
(d) Courage and exhilaration
6. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
(a) He is unaware of the beauty of nature because his work has distracted him.
(b) He is indifferent to the beauty of nature because he is mourning the loss of Elizabeth.
(c) He is provoked and emboldened by the beauty of nature.
(d) He is more aware of the beauty of nature because he is in love.
7. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
(a) They are outraged but not personally saddened.
(b) They are so angry that they stage a riot against the locals.
(c) They are relieved that he will no longer harrass them.
(d) They are all in mourning for several weeks.
8. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(c) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(d) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
9. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his birthmark first.
(b) She remembers his drinking first.
(c) She remembers his courage first.
(d) She remembers his kindness first.
10. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(b) Burmese culture
11. Who commits the murder?
(a) Maxwell commits the murder.
(b) The relatives of Ma Hla May commit the murder.
(c) U Po Kyin commits the murder as revenge.
(d) The relatives of the man Maxwell shot commit the murder.
12. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(c) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(d) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
13. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
(a) Leaves immediately for the camp
(b) Gets drunk and engages a Burmese prostitute
(c) Leaves immediately for England
(d) Gets drunk and confronts Elizabeth
14. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(d) inform him they are no longer friends.
15. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
(a) The rain has finally started.
(b) The river has overflowed.
(c) The English have returned to their camps.
(d) The rain has finally stopped.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
2. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
3. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
4. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
5. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)