|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Guilt and self-loathing
(b) Fear and resentment
(d) Courage and exhilaration
2. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
(a) The Eurasians
(b) The village headman
(d) Ko S'la
3. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
(a) She is less inhibited when she is drunk.
(b) She starts to embrace Burmese culture.
(c) She is not wearing spectacles.
(d) She wears her hair down.
4. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
(a) He is interrupted twice.
(b) Flory loses his nerve because of his birthmark.
(c) Lackersteen finds them kissing outside and objects.
(d) Elizabeth refuses to hear his offer.
5. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
(a) Poor and ignorant
(b) Wise and experienced
(c) Old and shabby
(d) Young and vibrant
6. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(b) They are responsive to the idea.
(c) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
(d) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
7. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(d) inform him they are no longer friends.
8. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(b) go hunting together
(c) talk intimately
(d) avoid her aunt and uncle
9. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
(a) Dr. Veraswami has seized any illegal drug to save his reputation.
(b) U Po Kyin ordered a raid to seize the opium.
(c) U Po Kyin has refused aid to Flory.
(d) Dr. Veraswami has refused aid to Flory.
10. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
(b) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
(c) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(d) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
11. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(b) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(c) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(d) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
12. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(b) middle class.
13. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
14. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
(a) The creeping jasmine and orange-hearted flowers.
(b) The gravestones of sixteen Europeans.
(c) The white headstones and neatly trimmed graves.
(d) The rat holes leading down into the graves.
15. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(d) He is not an experienced hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
2. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
3. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
4. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
5. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)