|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth rush to the train station?
(a) They have heard that the trains are not running in the rain.
(b) They have heard that Verrall is leaving without saying goodbye.
(c) They have heard that Verrall is arriving from Mandalay.
(d) They have heard that Lackersteen is returning from camp.
2. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
3. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(b) go hunting together
(c) avoid her aunt and uncle
(d) talk intimately
4. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
(a) He proposes to Elizabeth.
(b) He rides his horse on the maidan opposite the cemetary.
(c) He leaves town on the train to Mandalay.
(d) He searches out Maxwell's murderer.
5. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
6. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(c) Burmese culture
7. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's replacement
(b) Verrall's debt collectors
(c) Verrall's wife
(d) Flory's replacement
8. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
(a) They approach him and he is delighted to speak to them.
(b) He notices Elizabeth's beauty from a distance.
(c) They approach him and he cannot escape them.
(d) Mrs. Lackersteen invites him to dinner.
9. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) she may be able to hunt a dog.
(b) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
(c) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
(d) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
10. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Fear and resentment
(b) Courage and exhilaration
(d) Guilt and self-loathing
11. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(b) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(c) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
(d) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
12. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) hard, fearless, and brutal.
(b) soft, feminine, and curious.
(c) intelligent and amused.
(d) bored and unintelligent.
13. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a Japanese lantern.
(b) a silver orb.
(c) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(d) an envious goddess.
14. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(d) He is not an experienced hunter.
15. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to see Flory when he arrives.
(b) The prisoners ruin it when they try to cure it.
(c) Elizabeth rejects the offer of the gift outright.
(d) The prisoners sell it and replace it with a fake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
2. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
3. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
4. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)