|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he always regrets his behavior.
(b) he never suffers serious consequences.
(c) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
(d) he often apologizes afterward.
2. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(b) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
3. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
(b) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(c) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(d) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
4. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(c) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(d) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
5. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
(a) He is unaware of the beauty of nature because his work has distracted him.
(b) He is provoked and emboldened by the beauty of nature.
(c) He is indifferent to the beauty of nature because he is mourning the loss of Elizabeth.
(d) He is more aware of the beauty of nature because he is in love.
6. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) talk intimately
(b) avoid her aunt and uncle
(d) go hunting together
7. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
8. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Overcome by happiness
(c) Angry at herself
(d) Dizzy with her own power over the men
9. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's replacement
(b) Verrall's debt collectors
(c) Verrall's wife
(d) Flory's replacement
10. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(b) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(c) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(d) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
11. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
(a) Carrying on a conversation with the Burman canoe-man
(b) Carrying the gun in her lap
(c) Shooting at birds
(d) Watching the scenery go by
12. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
(b) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(c) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(d) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
13. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
(a) right before Flory kills the tiger.
(b) right after they leave the headman's house.
(c) right after she misses her first shot.
(d) right after she kills a jungle cock.
14. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Elizabeth.
(b) destined to remain a bachelor.
(c) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(d) in love with Ma Hla May.
15. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
(a) Young and vibrant
(b) Wise and experienced
(c) Old and shabby
(d) Poor and ignorant
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
2. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
3. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
4. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
5. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)