|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is not an experienced hunter.
(d) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
2. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has refused aid to Flory.
(b) Dr. Veraswami has refused aid to Flory.
(c) Dr. Veraswami has seized any illegal drug to save his reputation.
(d) U Po Kyin ordered a raid to seize the opium.
3. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(a) middle class.
4. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
(a) sees how he can shoot.
(b) watches him mix with the Burmese people.
(c) talks to him about art and literature.
(d) pretends he does not have a birthmark.
5. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
(a) He sees her interest in the Burmese people.
(b) Elizabeth refuses to speak to him.
(c) He is busy buying his groceries.
(d) He is caught up in the noise and the crowd.
6. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(b) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(c) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(d) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
7. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(b) Threatening to marray Flory
(c) Threatening to leave at once
(d) Threatening to tell the police
8. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He is running from the law in England.
(b) He has no other training or prospects.
(c) He needs to escape from a woman.
(d) He has enormous debts to pay.
9. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
(a) They are so angry that they stage a riot against the locals.
(b) They are relieved that he will no longer harrass them.
(c) They are outraged but not personally saddened.
(d) They are all in mourning for several weeks.
10. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(b) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
(c) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(d) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
11. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(b) apologize for signing the notice against him.
(c) inform him they are no longer friends.
(d) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
12. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) warm and inviting
(b) timid and conciliatory
(c) hostile and forbidding
(d) aloof and superior
13. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
(a) Verrall has refused to give Elizabeth money when she has asked for it.
(b) Verrall has mentioned he plans to marry Elizabeth only if her family is wealthy.,
(c) Verrall has given Elizabeth money on many occasions.
(d) Verrall has made no motions to marry Elizabeth even though they have had an affair.
14. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
(b) she may be able to hunt a dog.
(c) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
(d) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
15. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(b) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(c) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(d) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
3. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
4. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
5. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)