|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
(a) right before Flory kills the tiger.
(b) right after they leave the headman's house.
(c) right after she kills a jungle cock.
(d) right after she misses her first shot.
2. Who greets Flory and Elizabeth when they go ashore?
(a) The village headman
(b) Ko S'la
(c) The Eurasians
3. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
(a) He insists on being the center of attention.
(b) They are afraid of his size and demeanor.
(c) He is a respectable member of Burmese society.
(d) He has had many experiences with earthquakes, and they are interested in his stories.
4. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He is not a good rider.
(c) He does not know the rules of the game.
(d) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
5. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(b) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
(c) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
(d) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
6. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
7. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(c) wants her to return with him to England.
(d) has a Burmese wife.
8. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a relief from the heat of the day.
(b) an oppressive struggle.
(c) a wonderland of beauty.
(d) a journey into their hearts.
9. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
(b) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(c) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
(d) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
10. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
(a) Verrall's body
(b) Maxwell's body
(c) Ellis' body
(d) Westfield's body
11. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(b) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(c) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(d) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
12. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
(a) for your past.
(b) for what you own.
(c) for who you know.
(d) for what you are.
13. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) avoid her aunt and uncle
(b) talk intimately
(d) go hunting together
14. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
(b) he is not interested in marriage.
(c) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
(d) he is ready to change for the right woman.
15. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall declines the invitation.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(c) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
2. At the end of the chapter, Flory begins to believe ______________________________.
3. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
4. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
5. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)