|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(c) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(d) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
2. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are responsive to the idea.
(b) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
(c) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
(d) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
3. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Ma Hla May.
(b) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(c) in love with Elizabeth.
(d) destined to remain a bachelor.
4. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(b) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(c) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(d) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
5. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced hunter.
(b) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(c) He is unattractive.
(d) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
6. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(b) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(c) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(d) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
7. At the end of the chapter, Flory begins to believe ______________________________.
(a) Elizabeth will marry Ellis or Westfield.
(b) Ma Hla May has begun to lose her mind.
(c) Ma Hla May's behavior is influenced by someone else.
(d) Elizabeth may forgive him shortly.
8. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
(b) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
(c) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(d) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
9. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a journey into their hearts.
(b) a wonderland of beauty.
(c) an oppressive struggle.
(d) a relief from the heat of the day.
10. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
11. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(c) wants her to return with him to England.
(d) has a Burmese wife.
12. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(b) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(c) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(d) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
13. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(b) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(c) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(d) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
14. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
15. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
2. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
3. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
4. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
5. Who finally runs for help during the riot?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)