|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ugly image accompanies the description of the cemetery and graves?
(a) The white headstones and neatly trimmed graves.
(b) The rat holes leading down into the graves.
(c) The gravestones of sixteen Europeans.
(d) The creeping jasmine and orange-hearted flowers.
2. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(b) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(c) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(d) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
3. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(b) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(c) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(d) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
4. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's wife
(b) Flory's replacement
(c) Verrall's debt collectors
(d) Verrall's replacement
5. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is unattractive.
(b) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(c) He is not an experienced hunter.
(d) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
6. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
(a) They are outraged but not personally saddened.
(b) They are relieved that he will no longer harrass them.
(c) They are so angry that they stage a riot against the locals.
(d) They are all in mourning for several weeks.
7. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a relief from the heat of the day.
(b) a journey into their hearts.
(c) a wonderland of beauty.
(d) an oppressive struggle.
8. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
(b) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(c) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
(d) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
9. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
10. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(a) middle class.
11. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a Japanese lantern.
(b) a silver orb.
(c) an envious goddess.
(d) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
12. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
(a) They are too distracted by each other to notice.
(b) They are young, and heat does not bother the young.
(c) They have lived in warm climates their entire lives.
(d) They are busy drinking most of the time, and do not notice.
13. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
(a) Carrying the gun in her lap
(b) Carrying on a conversation with the Burman canoe-man
(c) Watching the scenery go by
(d) Shooting at birds
14. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
(a) He is caught up in the noise and the crowd.
(b) He sees her interest in the Burmese people.
(c) He is busy buying his groceries.
(d) Elizabeth refuses to speak to him.
15. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) has a Burmese wife.
(c) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(d) wants her to return with him to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth rush to the train station?
2. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
3. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
4. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
5. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)