|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to see Flory when he arrives.
(b) The prisoners sell it and replace it with a fake.
(c) Elizabeth rejects the offer of the gift outright.
(d) The prisoners ruin it when they try to cure it.
2. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(b) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(c) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(d) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
3. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
4. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
(a) right before Flory kills the tiger.
(b) right after she kills a jungle cock.
(c) right after they leave the headman's house.
(d) right after she misses her first shot.
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(b) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(c) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(d) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
6. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
(a) Watching the scenery go by
(b) Carrying on a conversation with the Burman canoe-man
(c) Shooting at birds
(d) Carrying the gun in her lap
7. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(b) he is not interested in marriage.
(c) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
(d) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
8. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's wife
(b) Flory's replacement
(c) Verrall's replacement
(d) Verrall's debt collectors
9. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
(a) He rides his horse on the maidan opposite the cemetary.
(b) He leaves town on the train to Mandalay.
(c) He proposes to Elizabeth.
(d) He searches out Maxwell's murderer.
10. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin ordered a raid to seize the opium.
(b) Dr. Veraswami has refused aid to Flory.
(c) U Po Kyin has refused aid to Flory.
(d) Dr. Veraswami has seized any illegal drug to save his reputation.
11. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
(a) Ellis has attacked a group of local boys and the Burmese want revenge.
(b) Ellis has published an unflattering article of the Burmese.
(c) Ellis has murdered a local boy, and the Burmese want revenge.
(d) Ellis has murdered Maxwell, and the Burmese want justice.
12. Although Verrall often offends people, ____________________________.
(a) he always regrets his behavior.
(b) he is not to blame for his ignorance of polite social behavior.
(c) he never suffers serious consequences.
(d) he often apologizes afterward.
13. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to leave at once
(b) Threatening to marray Flory
(c) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(d) Threatening to tell the police
14. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(b) Verrall declines the invitation.
(c) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
15. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) aloof and superior
(b) timid and conciliatory
(c) hostile and forbidding
(d) warm and inviting
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
2. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
3. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
4. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
5. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)