|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
(a) The English have returned to their camps.
(b) The river has overflowed.
(c) The rain has finally started.
(d) The rain has finally stopped.
2. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(c) Verrall declines the invitation.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
3. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(b) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(c) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
(d) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
4. What does Verrall do during the funeral?
(a) He leaves town on the train to Mandalay.
(b) He proposes to Elizabeth.
(c) He rides his horse on the maidan opposite the cemetary.
(d) He searches out Maxwell's murderer.
5. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He is not a good rider.
(c) He does not know the rules of the game.
(d) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
6. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
(b) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(c) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
(d) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
7. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
(a) talk intimately
(c) avoid her aunt and uncle
(d) go hunting together
8. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(b) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(c) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(d) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
9. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
(a) Elizabeth will pay Flory more respect in the future.
(b) Flory will propose to Elizabeth that evening.
(c) Elizabeth will claim to have killed the tiger on her own.
(d) Flory will enjoy one last night out with the boys that evening.
10. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a Japanese lantern.
(b) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(c) a silver orb.
(d) an envious goddess.
11. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
12. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
(a) they are not concerned about marriage.
(b) they are not attracted to one another.
(c) they are no closer to finding a romantic attachment.
(d) they are no more or less intimate than they were in the beginning.
13. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his courage first.
(b) She remembers his drinking first.
(c) She remembers his kindness first.
(d) She remembers his birthmark first.
14. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is unattractive.
(b) He is not an experienced hunter.
(c) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(d) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
15. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
(a) Flory plans to propose to her at the Club later.
(b) she may be able to hunt a dog.
(c) Flory wants her to return to the headman's house.
(d) she may be able to hunt a leopard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
2. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
3. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
4. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
5. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)