|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Dizzy with her own power over the men
(b) Overcome by happiness
(c) Angry at herself
2. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) aloof and superior
(b) hostile and forbidding
(c) timid and conciliatory
(d) warm and inviting
3. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(b) Threatening to tell the police
(c) Threatening to marray Flory
(d) Threatening to leave at once
4. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Cries upon seeing her
(b) Wets himself on the floor
(c) Climbs up on to her lap
(d) Wants her to hold him
5. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Guilt and self-loathing
(b) Courage and exhilaration
(c) Fear and resentment
6. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) hard, fearless, and brutal.
(b) soft, feminine, and curious.
(c) intelligent and amused.
(d) bored and unintelligent.
7. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
(b) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
(c) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(d) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
8. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
(b) Two English men from the Club.
(c) Flory's servants.
(d) Elizabeth's uncles.
9. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
(a) He has had many experiences with earthquakes, and they are interested in his stories.
(b) He insists on being the center of attention.
(c) They are afraid of his size and demeanor.
(d) He is a respectable member of Burmese society.
10. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(c) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(d) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
11. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
(a) They are busy drinking most of the time, and do not notice.
(b) They are young, and heat does not bother the young.
(c) They have lived in warm climates their entire lives.
(d) They are too distracted by each other to notice.
12. What causes Mrs. Lackersteen to lecture Elizabeth on being "cheap?"
(a) Verrall has made no motions to marry Elizabeth even though they have had an affair.
(b) Verrall has given Elizabeth money on many occasions.
(c) Verrall has refused to give Elizabeth money when she has asked for it.
(d) Verrall has mentioned he plans to marry Elizabeth only if her family is wealthy.,
13. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
(a) inform him they are no longer friends.
(b) apologize for neglecting to introduce him to Elizabeth.
(c) accuse him of the crimes mentioned in U Po Kyin's letters.
(d) apologize for signing the notice against him.
14. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall declines the invitation.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(c) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(d) Verrall ignores the invitation.
15. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(b) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(c) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
(d) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
Short Answer Questions
1. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
2. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
3. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
4. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
5. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)