|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Overcome by happiness
(b) Angry at herself
(c) Dizzy with her own power over the men
2. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
3. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's debt collectors
(b) Flory's replacement
(c) Verrall's wife
(d) Verrall's replacement
4. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
5. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(d) Burmese culture
6. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Wets himself on the floor
(b) Cries upon seeing her
(c) Wants her to hold him
(d) Climbs up on to her lap
7. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(c) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(d) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
8. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
(a) Westfield's body
(b) Ellis' body
(c) Maxwell's body
(d) Verrall's body
9. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has refused aid to Flory.
(b) Dr. Veraswami has seized any illegal drug to save his reputation.
(c) U Po Kyin ordered a raid to seize the opium.
(d) Dr. Veraswami has refused aid to Flory.
10. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Courage and exhilaration
(b) Guilt and self-loathing
(d) Fear and resentment
11. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(b) Verrall declines the invitation.
(c) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
12. How does Elizabeth thwarts Lackersteen's attempts at rape?
(a) Threatening to leave at once
(b) Threatening to tell the police
(c) Threatening to tell Mrs. Lackersteen
(d) Threatening to marray Flory
13. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(b) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(c) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(d) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
14. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(b) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(c) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
15. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
(a) Her social aspirations
(b) Her distaste for Burmese culture
(c) Her fear of Lackersteen's infidelity
(d) Her drinking problem
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Francis and Samuel?
2. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
3. Who commits the murder?
4. Though Flory and Elizabeth are often alone together, they are never able to _________________.
5. Elizabeth is most excited when she learns ____________________________.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)