|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(b) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(c) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
2. The earthquake inspires what kind of feeling in the members of the Club after it is over?
3. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He does not know the rules of the game.
(c) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(d) He is not a good rider.
4. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(d) Burmese culture
5. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
(b) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
(c) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(d) They are responsive to the idea.
6. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
(a) She remembers his courage first.
(b) She remembers his drinking first.
(c) She remembers his birthmark first.
(d) She remembers his kindness first.
7. Flory and Elizabeth's journey through the jungle is described as ______________________.
(a) a relief from the heat of the day.
(b) a journey into their hearts.
(c) an oppressive struggle.
(d) a wonderland of beauty.
8. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Dizzy with her own power over the men
(b) Overcome by happiness
(c) Angry at herself
9. What does Flory mistakenly believe?
(a) That Elizabeth prefers the Club to the bazaar.
(b) That Elizabeth is afraid of the Burmese.
(c) That he should bring Elizabeth back to England.
(d) That Elizabeth will enjoy the bazaar.
10. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
(c) middle class.
11. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to hear his offer.
(b) Lackersteen finds them kissing outside and objects.
(c) He is interrupted twice.
(d) Flory loses his nerve because of his birthmark.
12. Whose arrival alarms Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth?
(a) Verrall's replacement
(b) Verrall's wife
(c) Verrall's debt collectors
(d) Flory's replacement
13. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He needs to escape from a woman.
(b) He has no other training or prospects.
(c) He has enormous debts to pay.
(d) He is running from the law in England.
14. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(b) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(c) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(d) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
15. What ruins Flory's plan to deliver the leopard skin to Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to see Flory when he arrives.
(b) Elizabeth rejects the offer of the gift outright.
(c) The prisoners ruin it when they try to cure it.
(d) The prisoners sell it and replace it with a fake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
2. Flory visits Veraswami in order to _______________________________.
3. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
4. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
5. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)