|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) aloof and superior
(b) timid and conciliatory
(c) warm and inviting
(d) hostile and forbidding
2. What does Elizabeth do when Flory calls out to her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She runs to him.
(c) She tells Ko S'la to tell Flory not to speak to her.
(d) She looks at him but does not speak.
3. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
(a) They are relieved that he will no longer harrass them.
(b) They are outraged but not personally saddened.
(c) They are all in mourning for several weeks.
(d) They are so angry that they stage a riot against the locals.
4. Who commits the murder?
(a) The relatives of the man Maxwell shot commit the murder.
(b) The relatives of Ma Hla May commit the murder.
(c) U Po Kyin commits the murder as revenge.
(d) Maxwell commits the murder.
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(b) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(c) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(d) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
6. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
(b) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(c) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(d) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
7. Why do Mrs. Lackersteen and Elizabeth rush to the train station?
(a) They have heard that the trains are not running in the rain.
(b) They have heard that Verrall is leaving without saying goodbye.
(c) They have heard that Verrall is arriving from Mandalay.
(d) They have heard that Lackersteen is returning from camp.
8. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
9. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(b) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
(c) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(d) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
10. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(c) has a Burmese wife.
(d) wants her to return with him to England.
11. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He does not know the rules of the game.
(b) He is not a good rider.
(c) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(d) He is too old.
12. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(b) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
13. Killing the leopard has created what feeling between Flory and Elizabeth?
14. At the end of Chapter 22, what signals a change?
(a) The river has overflowed.
(b) The rain has finally stopped.
(c) The English have returned to their camps.
(d) The rain has finally started.
15. Why does Elizabeth seem more approachable to Flory that evening?
(a) She is not wearing spectacles.
(b) She wears her hair down.
(c) She starts to embrace Burmese culture.
(d) She is less inhibited when she is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
2. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
3. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
4. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
5. Why does Flory not get to propose to Elizabeth?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)