|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(b) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
(c) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(d) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
2. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(b) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(c) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(d) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
3. Verrall's face is described as _____________________.
(a) bored and unintelligent.
(b) intelligent and amused.
(c) soft, feminine, and curious.
(d) hard, fearless, and brutal.
4. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He needs to escape from a woman.
(b) He is running from the law in England.
(c) He has no other training or prospects.
(d) He has enormous debts to pay.
5. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
(a) for who you know.
(b) for what you are.
(c) for what you own.
(d) for your past.
6. Why does Ko S'la tell Flory he should not attempt to play polo?
(a) He will look foolish in front of Elizabeth.
(b) He does not know the rules of the game.
(c) He is not a good rider.
(d) He is too old.
7. What does U Po Kyin's plan finally cause Ma Kin to feel?
8. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(c) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(d) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
9. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
(a) they are no more or less intimate than they were in the beginning.
(b) they are no closer to finding a romantic attachment.
(c) they are not concerned about marriage.
(d) they are not attracted to one another.
10. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) destined to remain a bachelor.
(b) in love with Ma Hla May.
(c) in love with Elizabeth.
(d) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
11. How does Elizabeth feel when she kills a bird?
(a) Dizzy with her own power over the men
(b) Overcome by happiness
(d) Angry at herself
12. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
(b) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
(c) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(d) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
13. How does Orwell describe the leopard?
14. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(b) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(c) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(d) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
15. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
(a) Poor and ignorant
(b) Young and vibrant
(c) Wise and experienced
(d) Old and shabby
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Europeans react to Maxwell's death?
2. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
3. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
4. When Lackersteen returns from camp he _________________________.
5. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)