|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
(a) Ellis' body
(b) Maxwell's body
(c) Verrall's body
(d) Westfield's body
2. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
(a) he is only interested in marriage to a wealthy English woman.
(b) he is not interested in marriage.
(c) he is ready to change for the right woman.
(d) he is capable of tenderness and emtional intimacy.
3. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
(a) Her drinking problem
(b) Her fear of Lackersteen's infidelity
(c) Her social aspirations
(d) Her distaste for Burmese culture
4. How does U Po Kyin stand to profit from the murder?
(a) The murder will prove he is to be feared as an adversary.
(b) The murder will assure his place in Heaven.
(c) The murder will be blamed on Dr. Veraswami.
(d) The murder will continue to incite unrest among the Europeans.
5. What does Mrs. Lackersteen plan to do at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) Invite Flory to dinner in order to court Elizabeth again
(b) Invite Flory to dinner in order to let him down gently
(c) Invite Macgregor to dinner in order to court Elizabeth
(d) Invite Verrall to dinner in order to question him about marriage
6. Why do the Burmese riot outside the Club?
(a) Ellis has murdered Maxwell, and the Burmese want justice.
(b) Ellis has murdered a local boy, and the Burmese want revenge.
(c) Ellis has published an unflattering article of the Burmese.
(d) Ellis has attacked a group of local boys and the Burmese want revenge.
7. What is Elizabeth's reason for snubbing Flory?
(a) He is not an experienced horseback rider.
(b) He is unattractive.
(c) He is keeping a Burmese woman.
(d) He is not an experienced hunter.
8. How does Lackersteen justify his drinking and philandering?
(a) He believes he is still respectable because he is loyal.
(b) He believes he is still respectable because he is white.
(c) He believes he has been given an unfair burden and needs an outlet.
(d) He believes he as the right to do as he pleases.
9. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
(b) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
10. Why are Elizabeth and Verrall indifferent to the heat?
(a) They are busy drinking most of the time, and do not notice.
(b) They are young, and heat does not bother the young.
(c) They have lived in warm climates their entire lives.
(d) They are too distracted by each other to notice.
11. What does Elizabeth enjoy during the canoe trip to the shooting party?
(a) Carrying the gun in her lap
(b) Carrying on a conversation with the Burman canoe-man
(c) Watching the scenery go by
(d) Shooting at birds
12. At the end of the chapter, Flory begins to believe ______________________________.
(a) Ma Hla May's behavior is influenced by someone else.
(b) Ma Hla May has begun to lose her mind.
(c) Elizabeth may forgive him shortly.
(d) Elizabeth will marry Ellis or Westfield.
13. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(b) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
(c) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(d) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
14. Veraswami's letter informs Flory that __________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin has apologized to him.
(b) U Po Kyin has denounced Flory openly.
(c) U Po Kyin has given up his exploits.
(d) U Po Kyin continues in his exploits.
15. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He is running from the law in England.
(b) He has enormous debts to pay.
(c) He needs to escape from a woman.
(d) He has no other training or prospects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
2. What is Elizabeth's first thought when she thinks of Flory?
3. What is the description of the mood of Chapter 17?
4. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
5. Although Elizabeth and Verrall ride together frequently, __________________________________.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)