|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
(a) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling as he sees fit.
(b) accepting bribes only from Englishmen.
(c) accepting bribes only from those in whose favor he plans to rule.
(d) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling on behalf of both.
2. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(b) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
(c) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(d) He feels he deserves the punishment.
3. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is Flory's mistress.
(b) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
(c) That she is Burmese.
(d) That she refuses to do laundry.
4. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
(b) his parents brought him over on vacation.
(c) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
(d) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
5. Ko S'la is __________________.
(a) Flory's cook.
(b) Flory's servant.
(c) Flory's mistress.
(d) Flory's best friend.
6. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(b) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(c) he is late for a date with his mistress.
(d) his dog needs to go out.
7. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) are behind U Po Kyin.
(b) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
(c) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(d) trust Veraswami completely.
8. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
(a) he does not want to look in the mirror until he has had a few drinks.
(b) he is too hot to do anything physical.
(c) he is afraid of germs in the water.
(d) he wants a beard to grow in and hide his birthmark.
9. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
10. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
(a) like Ellis.
(b) drink before sunset.
(c) object to Lackersteen's drinking and carousing.
(d) want to admit non-whites to the Club.
11. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1825
(b) In England, April of 1825
(c) In England, April of 1925
(d) In Burma, April of 1925
12. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
(a) A cool breeze
(b) A dip in the pond
(c) A burst of sunshine
(d) A walk in the woods
13. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(b) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(c) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(d) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
14. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a traveller and a salesman.
(b) a liar and a footballer.
(c) a liar and a boxer.
(d) a friend to the unfortunate.
15. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
(a) Ellis' use of the term 'nigger.'
(b) Flory's refusal to stand up for his friend.
(c) Ellis' rude comments on his proposal.
(d) Ellis' drunkenness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
2. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
3. The Club is ______________________.
4. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
5. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)