Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(b) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(c) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(d) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) be a parasite upon them
(d) defeat the weak among his own people.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
(a) he wants a beard to grow in and hide his birthmark.
(b) he is too hot to do anything physical.
(c) he does not want to look in the mirror until he has had a few drinks.
(d) he is afraid of germs in the water.
4. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
(b) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
(c) she is wet from swimming in the river.
(d) she is sick from eating table scraps.
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was refusing to become a man.
(b) He was "fighting his own battles."
(c) He was "sticking by his job."
(d) He was "choosing peace."
6. How does MacGregor start his day?
(a) He does exercises at home then takes a brisk walk.
(b) He investigates any leftover business from the day before.
(c) He drinks gin while sitting in the tub.
(d) He forces the other men to do calisthenics.
7. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(b) are behind U Po Kyin.
(c) trust Veraswami completely.
(d) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
8. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is Flory's mistress.
(b) That she refuses to do laundry.
(c) That she is Burmese.
(d) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
9. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his hand
(b) A birthmark on his face
(c) A scar on his face
(d) A mole on his face
10. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
(b) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
(c) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
(d) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
11. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
(a) accepting bribes only from those in whose favor he plans to rule.
(b) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling on behalf of both.
(c) accepting bribes only from Englishmen.
(d) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling as he sees fit.
12. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
(a) She is bored by the familiar customs.
(b) She is reassured by the white faces and European habits.
(c) She is fearful of the attention of so many single men.
(d) She is reassured by the local customs.
13. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
(a) Flory has sent her back to her parents.
(b) Flory lets Ko S'la treat her rudely.
(c) Flory has demanded she has no other lovers.
(d) Flory no longer buys her presents.
14. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
(a) Very savvy
(b) The savage doctor
(c) Very slimy
(d) That Indian
15. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) rotting from within, like old fruit
(b) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(c) thin and gaunt
(d) fat and sagging
Short Answer Questions
1. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
2. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
3. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
4. Who is the Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada?
5. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)