|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ma Hla May is allowed to _____________________________.
(a) borrow Flory's money without asking.
(b) wear her sandals in the house.
(c) join Flory for all his meals.
(d) come in for tea but not for other meals.
2. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(b) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
(c) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(d) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
3. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(b) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(c) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
(d) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
4. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) someone wants to touch him.
(b) he feels ashamed of himself.
(c) he is attracted to a woman.
(d) he feels angry.
5. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Flory
(b) Mr. Lackersteen
(c) Mr. Chesterton
(d) Mr. Ellis
6. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) hide from others.
(b) take a trip home.
(c) get as drunk as possible.
(d) exercise until he sweats.
7. Ko S'la is __________________.
(a) Flory's servant.
(b) Flory's cook.
(c) Flory's mistress.
(d) Flory's best friend.
8. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
(a) Flory refuses to give money to Old Mattu.
(b) Flory leaves without saying hello to his wife.
(c) Flory does not promise to propose him as a club member.
(d) Flory refuses to help him fight U Po Kyin.
9. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a friend to the unfortunate.
(b) a traveller and a salesman.
(c) a liar and a boxer.
(d) a liar and a footballer.
10. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she is an irresponsible drinker.
(b) she will make him stop drinking.
(c) she will make him leave immediately.
(d) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
11. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents brought him over on vacation.
(b) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
(c) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(d) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
12. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her family's immense fortunes.
(b) her time as an artist in Paris.
(c) her father's time in the military.
(d) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
13. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
(a) He says Ma Hla May is a boy.
(b) He says Ma Hla May is the jealous type.
(c) He says Ma Hla May is Ko S'la's wife.
(d) He says Ma Hla May is the laundress.
14. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's cocker spaniel
(b) Flory's assistant
(c) Flory's wife
(d) Flory's maid
15. How does Flory start his day?
(a) He prepares his household for the day.
(b) He writes a love letter to Elizabeth.
(c) He writes letters to his enemies.
(d) He drinks gin while sitting in the tub.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Club is ______________________.
2. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
3. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
4. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
5. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)