|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game do the Englishmen play In the evening?
2. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(b) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
(c) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(d) drive him away from the Club.
3. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(b) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(c) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(d) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
4. Ba Taik is ___________
(a) U Po Kyin's unpaid servant.
(b) U Po Kyin's son.
(c) U Po Kyin's deputy.
(d) U Po Kyin's wife.
5. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(b) To ignore it
(c) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(d) To give it to Ellis
6. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Buy more merit.
(b) Destroy his enemies
(c) Acquire more merit
(d) Make more money
7. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Prepare his own food
(b) Decide court cases
(c) Acquire merit
(d) Rise from a chair
8. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
(b) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
(c) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
(d) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
9. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels ashamed of himself.
(b) he feels angry.
(c) someone wants to touch him.
(d) he is attracted to a woman.
10. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(b) trust Veraswami completely.
(c) are behind U Po Kyin.
(d) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
11. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) swift, passionate and enormous.
(b) short, light and fresh.
(c) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(d) sparse, lonely and bland.
12. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Misunderstood genius
(b) Spineless cur
(c) Local pariah
(d) Lord of all he surveys
13. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
(a) being alone.
(b) feeling racist.
(c) never experiencing beauty.
(d) being European among Burmese.
14. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
(a) he is afraid of germs in the water.
(b) he does not want to look in the mirror until he has had a few drinks.
(c) he wants a beard to grow in and hide his birthmark.
(d) he is too hot to do anything physical.
15. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(b) his parents brought him over on vacation.
(c) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
(d) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
2. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
3. What confrontation does Flory endure?
4. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
5. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)