|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
(a) like Ellis.
(b) drink before sunset.
(c) want to admit non-whites to the Club.
(d) object to Lackersteen's drinking and carousing.
2. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her time as an artist in Paris.
(b) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(c) her family's immense fortunes.
(d) her father's time in the military.
3. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(b) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(c) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(d) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
4. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(b) Happiness is not in power.
(c) Happiness is not in money.
(d) Happiness comes from the heart.
5. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Formative periods
(b) Dark spells
(c) Unfortunate episodes
(d) Moral failings
6. What game do the Englishmen play In the evening?
7. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
(a) Flory refuses to help him fight U Po Kyin.
(b) Flory leaves without saying hello to his wife.
(c) Flory does not promise to propose him as a club member.
(d) Flory refuses to give money to Old Mattu.
8. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has not broken any laws at all.
(b) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
(c) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(d) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
9. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his hand
(b) A scar on his face
(c) A birthmark on his face
(d) A mole on his face
10. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1825
(b) In England, April of 1825
(c) In England, April of 1925
(d) In Burma, April of 1925
11. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
(b) someone with whom he can share his life.
(c) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(d) someone to fight Ellis.
12. Who accompanies Elizabeth to her uncle's house?
(a) Flory's servant, Ko S'la
(b) Flory's mistress, Ma Hla May
(c) Flory himself
(d) Dr. Veraswami
13. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(b) She mourns extensively.
(c) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(d) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
14. Who is the Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada?
(a) U Po Kyin
(b) Ma Kin
(c) Ko Ba Sein
(d) Ba Taik
15. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(b) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
(c) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(d) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ba Sein brings a copy of __________________.
2. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
3. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
4. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
5. Who objects to scandal among the men?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)