|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
(a) That Indian
(b) Very savvy
(c) The savage doctor
(d) Very slimy
2. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(b) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
(c) someone with whom he can share his life.
(d) someone to fight Ellis.
3. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) rotting from within, like old fruit
(b) thin and gaunt
(c) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(d) fat and sagging
4. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(b) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
(c) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(d) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
5. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(b) The English
(d) The Burmese Natives
6. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
(b) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
(c) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
(d) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
7. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
(a) His firm needs him back in Rangoon.
(b) His family has disowned him.
(c) His ship sinks before it reaches Burma.
(d) His firm will fire him if he leaves the country.
8. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) trust Veraswami completely.
(b) are behind U Po Kyin.
(c) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(d) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
9. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
(a) Flory is treated as an intruder in Veraswami's personal life.
(b) Flory is welcomed, but only because he is beneficial to Veraswami's goals.
(c) Flory is resented but tolerated.
(d) Flory is welcomed and respected by Veraswami.
10. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(b) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
(c) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
(d) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
11. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Misunderstood genius
(b) Local pariah
(c) Lord of all he surveys
(d) Spineless cur
12. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is hotter than other towns.
(b) It has a social club.
(c) It has a railway terminus.
(d) It is bigger than other towns.
13. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defeat the weak among his own people.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) defend the queen.
(d) be a parasite upon them
14. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he is late for a date with his mistress.
(b) his dog needs to go out.
(c) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(d) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
15. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(b) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(c) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(d) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Lackersteen believes the natives are _________________________.
2. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
3. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
4. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
5. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)