|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
(b) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(c) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(d) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
2. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
(b) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(c) He could not function without his servants.
(d) He hates Burma.
3. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
(a) She screams when she is frightened by a water buffalo.
(b) She runs to him for rescue from the natives.
(c) She faints from the heat on his doorstep.
(d) She screams when she is frightened by Ko S'la.
4. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(b) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
(c) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(d) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
5. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
(a) uncomfortable with his friendship with the doctor.
(b) homesick for England.
(c) tired of the Burmese.
(d) jaded and resentful of the English.
6. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin is out to get him.
(b) Veraswami may be in some kind of trouble.
(c) Elizabeth is not impressed by Burma or the natives.
(d) Elizabeth has come to Burma to find a husband.
7. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
(b) she will make him stop drinking.
(c) she will make him leave immediately.
(d) she is an irresponsible drinker.
8. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
(a) His firm will fire him if he leaves the country.
(b) His firm needs him back in Rangoon.
(c) His ship sinks before it reaches Burma.
(d) His family has disowned him.
9. Ba Taik is ___________
(a) U Po Kyin's deputy.
(b) U Po Kyin's wife.
(c) U Po Kyin's unpaid servant.
(d) U Po Kyin's son.
10. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) defeat the weak among his own people.
(d) be a parasite upon them
11. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Misunderstood genius
(b) Lord of all he surveys
(c) Spineless cur
(d) Local pariah
12. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
13. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is hotter than other towns.
(b) It has a railway terminus.
(c) It has a social club.
(d) It is bigger than other towns.
14. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
(b) an animal is beneath contempt.
(c) an animal is beyond his status level.
(d) a woman is beyond his status level.
15. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In England, April of 1925
(b) In Burma, April of 1925
(c) In Burma, April of 1825
(d) In England, April of 1825
Short Answer Questions
1. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
2. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
3. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
4. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
5. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)