|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A sick patient
(b) A patient who will not pay his bill
(c) A pack of dogs
(d) A pox on humanity
2. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(c) The English
(d) The Burmese Natives
3. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
(a) He says Ma Hla May is Ko S'la's wife.
(b) He says Ma Hla May is a boy.
(c) He says Ma Hla May is the laundress.
(d) He says Ma Hla May is the jealous type.
4. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his hand
(b) A mole on his face
(c) A birthmark on his face
(d) A scar on his face
5. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
(a) like Ellis.
(b) drink before sunset.
(c) want to admit non-whites to the Club.
(d) object to Lackersteen's drinking and carousing.
6. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
(a) She is bored by the familiar customs.
(b) She is reassured by the local customs.
(c) She is fearful of the attention of so many single men.
(d) She is reassured by the white faces and European habits.
7. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(b) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(c) his dog needs to go out.
(d) he is late for a date with his mistress.
8. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(b) To give it to Ellis
(c) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(d) To ignore it
9. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
(b) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
(c) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(d) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
10. Who accompanies Elizabeth to her uncle's house?
(a) Flory's servant, Ko S'la
(b) Flory himself
(c) Dr. Veraswami
(d) Flory's mistress, Ma Hla May
11. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and fighting with natives.
(b) saving money to send home to his parents.
(c) drinking and visiting whores.
(d) working around the clock.
12. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Dark spells
(b) Formative periods
(c) Moral failings
(d) Unfortunate episodes
13. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her servants
(b) her drink
(c) her husband's job
(d) her wardrobe
14. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
(a) She faints from the heat on his doorstep.
(b) She screams when she is frightened by a water buffalo.
(c) She runs to him for rescue from the natives.
(d) She screams when she is frightened by Ko S'la.
15. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) a woman is beyond his status level.
(b) an animal is beneath contempt.
(c) an animal is beyond his status level.
(d) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
2. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
3. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
4. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
5. How does Flory start his day?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)