|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
(a) freedom to marry a native.
(b) freedom of religion.
(c) freedom of choice.
(d) freedom of speech.
2. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(b) The English
(c) The Burmese Natives
3. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Dark spells
(b) Formative periods
(c) Unfortunate episodes
(d) Moral failings
4. What does Flory's clerk bring him?
(a) A letter from England
(b) A letter from Macgregor
(c) An anonymous letter telling him to avoid Ma Hla May
(d) An anonymous letter warning him about Veraswami
5. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
(a) Flory lets Ko S'la treat her rudely.
(b) Flory has demanded she has no other lovers.
(c) Flory no longer buys her presents.
(d) Flory has sent her back to her parents.
6. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
(a) Ungrateful and confrontational
(b) Awkward and timid
(c) Cowardly and dishonorable
(d) Cruel and aggressive
7. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
(b) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
(c) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
(d) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
8. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
(b) an animal is beneath contempt.
(c) a woman is beyond his status level.
(d) an animal is beyond his status level.
9. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her father's time in the military.
(b) her family's immense fortunes.
(c) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(d) her time as an artist in Paris.
10. Who is the Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada?
(a) Ba Taik
(b) U Po Kyin
(c) Ma Kin
(d) Ko Ba Sein
11. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Destroy his enemies
(b) Acquire more merit
(c) Make more money
(d) Buy more merit.
12. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was "fighting his own battles."
(b) He was "sticking by his job."
(c) He was "choosing peace."
(d) He was refusing to become a man.
13. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
(b) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(c) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(d) He wants Flo to have a companion.
14. What does U Po Kyin believe will bring him merit at the end of the chapter?
(a) Taking in a local pregnant girl
(b) Giving a basket of mangoes to the priests
(c) Honoring his wife.
(d) Dishonoring Dr. Veraswami
15. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(b) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
(c) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
(d) his parents brought him over on vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
2. What aspect of the setting is repeatedly mentioned in Chapter 2?
3. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
4. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
5. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)