|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
(a) She is bored by the familiar customs.
(b) She is reassured by the local customs.
(c) She is reassured by the white faces and European habits.
(d) She is fearful of the attention of so many single men.
2. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She mourns extensively.
(b) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
(c) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(d) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
3. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
(b) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(c) trust Veraswami completely.
(d) are behind U Po Kyin.
4. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
(a) Veraswami may be in some kind of trouble.
(b) Elizabeth has come to Burma to find a husband.
(c) U Po Kyin is out to get him.
(d) Elizabeth is not impressed by Burma or the natives.
5. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
(a) She faints from the heat on his doorstep.
(b) She runs to him for rescue from the natives.
(c) She screams when she is frightened by Ko S'la.
(d) She screams when she is frightened by a water buffalo.
6. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
(a) a mixture of love and respect.
(b) a mixture of tolerance and disgust.
(c) a mixture of fear and excitement.
(d) a mixture of delight and anticipation.
7. What does Mrs. Lackersteen imply to Elizabeth?
(a) That Elizabeth should return to England and find work.
(b) That Elizabeth should quickly find a husband in Burma.
(c) That Elizabeth should get an education.
(d) That Elizabeth should not marry until she falls in love.
8. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
(a) Very slimy
(b) Very savvy
(c) That Indian
(d) The savage doctor
9. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
10. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(b) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
(c) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
(d) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
11. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was "choosing peace."
(b) He was "fighting his own battles."
(c) He was refusing to become a man.
(d) He was "sticking by his job."
12. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(b) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(c) drive him away from the Club.
(d) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
13. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(b) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
(c) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(d) He wants Flo to have a companion.
14. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
(b) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
(c) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
(d) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
15. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) fat and sagging
(b) rotting from within, like old fruit
(c) thin and gaunt
(d) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the setting is repeatedly mentioned in Chapter 2?
2. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
3. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
4. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
5. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)