|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(b) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(c) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
(d) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
2. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
(a) Ellis' rude comments on his proposal.
(b) Ellis' use of the term 'nigger.'
(c) Ellis' drunkenness.
(d) Flory's refusal to stand up for his friend.
3. What does Mrs. Lackersteen imply to Elizabeth?
(a) That Elizabeth should not marry until she falls in love.
(b) That Elizabeth should return to England and find work.
(c) That Elizabeth should get an education.
(d) That Elizabeth should quickly find a husband in Burma.
4. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's maid
(b) Flory's cocker spaniel
(c) Flory's wife
(d) Flory's assistant
5. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In England, April of 1825
(b) In England, April of 1925
(c) In Burma, April of 1925
(d) In Burma, April of 1825
6. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(b) someone to fight Ellis.
(c) someone with whom he can share his life.
(d) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
7. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Destroy his enemies
(b) Make more money
(c) Acquire more merit
(d) Buy more merit.
8. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
(a) a mixture of love and respect.
(b) a mixture of delight and anticipation.
(c) a mixture of tolerance and disgust.
(d) a mixture of fear and excitement.
9. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Ellis
(b) Mr. Lackersteen
(c) Mr. Flory
(d) Mr. Chesterton
10. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) get as drunk as possible.
(b) take a trip home.
(c) exercise until he sweats.
(d) hide from others.
11. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(b) She mourns extensively.
(c) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(d) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
12. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her husband's job
(b) her wardrobe
(c) her drink
(d) her servants
13. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Rise from a chair
(b) Acquire merit
(c) Prepare his own food
(d) Decide court cases
14. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
(a) He says Ma Hla May is the jealous type.
(b) He says Ma Hla May is Ko S'la's wife.
(c) He says Ma Hla May is a boy.
(d) He says Ma Hla May is the laundress.
15. How does Flory start his day?
(a) He prepares his household for the day.
(b) He drinks gin while sitting in the tub.
(c) He writes letters to his enemies.
(d) He writes a love letter to Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
2. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
3. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
4. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
5. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)