|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(b) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(c) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(d) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
2. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A sick patient
(b) A pox on humanity
(c) A pack of dogs
(d) A patient who will not pay his bill
3. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin's plot against him.
(b) Flory's health.
(c) U Po Kyin's attempts to bribe him.
(d) the English refusing him entrance to the Club.
4. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
(a) arguing about sports
(b) discussing the European women in town
(c) trading jokes
(d) reading up on world events
5. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
(b) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(c) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(d) drive him away from the Club.
6. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(a) The Burmese Natives
(b) The English
7. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness is not in power.
(b) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(c) Happiness is not in money.
(d) Happiness comes from the heart.
8. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone to fight Ellis.
(b) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
(c) someone with whom he can share his life.
(d) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
9. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1825
(b) In England, April of 1925
(c) In Burma, April of 1925
(d) In England, April of 1825
10. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) saving money to send home to his parents.
(b) drinking and fighting with natives.
(c) drinking and visiting whores.
(d) working around the clock.
11. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
(a) that she does not have enough bribe money.
(b) that U Po Kyin is the father of her child.
(c) that she has a newspaper article U Po Kyin will want to see.
(d) that she is U Po Kyin's daughter.
12. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(b) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(c) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
(d) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
13. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
(a) Old Mattu, the beggar
(c) U Po Kyin, the magistrate
14. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his face
(b) A birthmark on his hand
(c) A mole on his face
(d) A scar on his face
15. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
(b) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(c) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(d) She mourns extensively.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
2. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
3. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
4. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
5. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)