|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(b) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
(c) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(d) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
2. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's assistant
(b) Flory's maid
(c) Flory's cocker spaniel
(d) Flory's wife
3. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is bigger than other towns.
(b) It is hotter than other towns.
(c) It has a railway terminus.
(d) It has a social club.
4. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
(a) She is fearful of the attention of so many single men.
(b) She is reassured by the local customs.
(c) She is bored by the familiar customs.
(d) She is reassured by the white faces and European habits.
5. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
6. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(b) thin and gaunt
(c) rotting from within, like old fruit
(d) fat and sagging
7. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
(a) A birthmark on his face
(b) A birthmark on his hand
(c) A mole on his face
(d) A scar on his face
8. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
(b) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
(c) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(d) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
9. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(b) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(c) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(d) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
10. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her father's time in the military.
(b) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(c) her time as an artist in Paris.
(d) her family's immense fortunes.
11. What game do the Englishmen play In the evening?
12. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(b) Happiness is not in money.
(c) Happiness is not in power.
(d) Happiness comes from the heart.
13. After the argument, the men occupy their time by ______________________.
(a) reading up on world events
(b) trading jokes
(c) discussing the European women in town
(d) arguing about sports
14. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
(a) Elizabeth has come to Burma to find a husband.
(b) Veraswami may be in some kind of trouble.
(c) U Po Kyin is out to get him.
(d) Elizabeth is not impressed by Burma or the natives.
15. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
(a) His firm will fire him if he leaves the country.
(b) His firm needs him back in Rangoon.
(c) His ship sinks before it reaches Burma.
(d) His family has disowned him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
2. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
3. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
4. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
5. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)