|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(b) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(c) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(d) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
2. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
3. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
(b) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
(c) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
(d) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
4. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was "fighting his own battles."
(b) He was refusing to become a man.
(c) He was "choosing peace."
(d) He was "sticking by his job."
5. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
(b) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
(c) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
(d) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
6. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's wife
(b) Flory's cocker spaniel
(c) Flory's maid
(d) Flory's assistant
7. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a liar and a boxer.
(b) a friend to the unfortunate.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a liar and a footballer.
8. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
(b) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(c) someone to fight Ellis.
(d) someone with whom he can share his life.
9. How does MacGregor start his day?
(a) He does exercises at home then takes a brisk walk.
(b) He forces the other men to do calisthenics.
(c) He investigates any leftover business from the day before.
(d) He drinks gin while sitting in the tub.
10. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
(a) Veraswami may be in some kind of trouble.
(b) Elizabeth is not impressed by Burma or the natives.
(c) Elizabeth has come to Burma to find a husband.
(d) U Po Kyin is out to get him.
11. What aspect of the setting is repeatedly mentioned in Chapter 2?
(a) The oppressive heat
(b) The monsoon season
(c) The wind and cold
(d) The muddy roads
12. Ko S'la is __________________.
(a) Flory's best friend.
(b) Flory's cook.
(c) Flory's mistress.
(d) Flory's servant.
13. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(c) The English
(d) The Burmese Natives
14. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A patient who will not pay his bill
(b) A pack of dogs
(c) A pox on humanity
(d) A sick patient
15. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
(a) She and Flory find the servants watching them talk.
(b) She realizes Flory is sympathetic to the natives.
(c) She notices Flory's birthmark and is repulsed by it.
(d) She realizes her uncle does not like Flory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
2. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
3. Ba Sein brings a copy of __________________.
4. What does U Po Kyin believe will bring him merit at the end of the chapter?
5. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)