|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In England, April of 1925
(b) In Burma, April of 1825
(c) In England, April of 1825
(d) In Burma, April of 1925
2. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(b) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(c) He has not broken any laws at all.
(d) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
3. Who objects to scandal among the men?
(b) U Po Kyin
(d) Mrs. Lackersteen
4. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To give it to Ellis
(b) To ignore it
(c) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(d) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
5. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her drink
(b) her husband's job
(c) her wardrobe
(d) her servants
6. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels ashamed of himself.
(b) he is attracted to a woman.
(c) someone wants to touch him.
(d) he feels angry.
7. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Acquire more merit
(b) Make more money
(c) Destroy his enemies
(d) Buy more merit.
8. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
(b) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(c) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(d) she reveals that she is lonely.
9. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(b) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
(c) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
(d) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
10. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(b) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
(c) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(d) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
11. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(b) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
(c) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(d) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
12. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
(a) She is reassured by the white faces and European habits.
(b) She is reassured by the local customs.
(c) She is bored by the familiar customs.
(d) She is fearful of the attention of so many single men.
13. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a liar and a footballer.
(b) a liar and a boxer.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a friend to the unfortunate.
14. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
(b) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(c) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(d) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
15. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A patient who will not pay his bill
(b) A pox on humanity
(c) A sick patient
(d) A pack of dogs
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
2. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
3. Ko S'la is __________________.
4. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
5. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)