|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) thin and gaunt
(b) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(c) rotting from within, like old fruit
(d) fat and sagging
2. Who objects to scandal among the men?
(a) U Po Kyin
(d) Mrs. Lackersteen
3. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(b) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
(c) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(d) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
4. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(b) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(c) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(d) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
5. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Dark spells
(b) Moral failings
(c) Unfortunate episodes
(d) Formative periods
6. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
(a) She screams when she is frightened by Ko S'la.
(b) She runs to him for rescue from the natives.
(c) She screams when she is frightened by a water buffalo.
(d) She faints from the heat on his doorstep.
7. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
(b) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
(c) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
(d) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
8. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a liar and a boxer.
(b) a friend to the unfortunate.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a liar and a footballer.
9. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(b) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(c) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(d) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
10. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(b) Happiness is not in money.
(c) Happiness comes from the heart.
(d) Happiness is not in power.
11. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
(a) uncomfortable with his friendship with the doctor.
(b) jaded and resentful of the English.
(c) tired of the Burmese.
(d) homesick for England.
12. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(b) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(c) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(d) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
13. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A pox on humanity
(b) A sick patient
(c) A patient who will not pay his bill
(d) A pack of dogs
14. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
(a) Flory refuses to help him fight U Po Kyin.
(b) Flory leaves without saying hello to his wife.
(c) Flory refuses to give money to Old Mattu.
(d) Flory does not promise to propose him as a club member.
15. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) saving money to send home to his parents.
(b) working around the clock.
(c) drinking and fighting with natives.
(d) drinking and visiting whores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
2. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
3. How does Elizabeth appear to feel about the atmosphere of the Club?
4. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
5. Who is Flo?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)