|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To give it to Ellis
(b) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(c) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(d) To ignore it
2. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
(b) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
(c) a solution to his problems.
(d) his ability to see events more clearly.
3. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(b) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(c) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(d) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
4. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
(a) A burst of sunshine
(b) A dip in the pond
(c) A walk in the woods
(d) A cool breeze
5. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(b) sparse, lonely and bland.
(c) short, light and fresh.
(d) swift, passionate and enormous.
6. What does U Po Kyin believe will bring him merit at the end of the chapter?
(a) Dishonoring Dr. Veraswami
(b) Honoring his wife.
(c) Giving a basket of mangoes to the priests
(d) Taking in a local pregnant girl
7. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Destroy his enemies
(b) Make more money
(c) Buy more merit.
(d) Acquire more merit
8. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(b) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(c) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(d) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
9. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
(b) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(c) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(d) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
10. What aspect of the setting is repeatedly mentioned in Chapter 2?
(a) The oppressive heat
(b) The monsoon season
(c) The wind and cold
(d) The muddy roads
11. What keeps U Po Kyin from being exposed by those who complain against him?
(a) He has too many powerful friends from the Club.
(b) He has not broken any laws at all.
(c) He has not broken any laws that the English care about.
(d) He has too many supporters and he pays them well.
12. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Lackersteen
(b) Mr. Flory
(c) Mr. Chesterton
(d) Mr. Ellis
13. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
(a) that she does not have enough bribe money.
(b) that she has a newspaper article U Po Kyin will want to see.
(c) that U Po Kyin is the father of her child.
(d) that she is U Po Kyin's daughter.
14. What distinguishes Kyauktada from other Burmese towns?
(a) It is bigger than other towns.
(b) It has a railway terminus.
(c) It is hotter than other towns.
(d) It has a social club.
15. What does Mrs. Lackersteen imply to Elizabeth?
(a) That Elizabeth should not marry until she falls in love.
(b) That Elizabeth should get an education.
(c) That Elizabeth should quickly find a husband in Burma.
(d) That Elizabeth should return to England and find work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
2. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
3. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
4. Flory's attitude toward his mistress is ____________________________.
5. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)