|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(b) her time as an artist in Paris.
(c) her family's immense fortunes.
(d) her father's time in the military.
2. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(b) his dog needs to go out.
(c) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(d) he is late for a date with his mistress.
3. Ba Taik is ___________
(a) U Po Kyin's unpaid servant.
(b) U Po Kyin's wife.
(c) U Po Kyin's deputy.
(d) U Po Kyin's son.
4. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(b) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(c) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(d) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
5. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
(a) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling as he sees fit.
(b) accepting bribes only from those in whose favor he plans to rule.
(c) accepting bribes only from Englishmen.
(d) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling on behalf of both.
6. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(b) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
(c) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(d) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
7. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
(b) a solution to his problems.
(c) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
(d) his ability to see events more clearly.
8. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
(b) his parents brought him over on vacation.
(c) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(d) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
9. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
10. Who is the Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada?
(a) U Po Kyin
(b) Ko Ba Sein
(c) Ba Taik
(d) Ma Kin
11. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) defeat the weak among his own people.
(c) prove his worth to the white men.
(d) be a parasite upon them
12. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and fighting with natives.
(b) saving money to send home to his parents.
(c) drinking and visiting whores.
(d) working around the clock.
13. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(b) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
(c) She mourns extensively.
(d) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
14. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1925
(b) In Burma, April of 1825
(c) In England, April of 1825
(d) In England, April of 1925
15. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
(a) are behind U Po Kyin.
(b) try to give each a fair chance to speak his mind.
(c) believe U Po Kyin is lying.
(d) trust Veraswami completely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory does not want to shave because _____________________________.
2. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
3. Who accompanies Elizabeth to her uncle's house?
4. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
5. Who is Flo?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)