|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Dark spells
(b) Moral failings
(c) Unfortunate episodes
(d) Formative periods
2. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
(b) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
(c) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
(d) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
3. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Destroy his enemies
(b) Buy more merit.
(c) Acquire more merit
(d) Make more money
4. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
(b) she reveals that she is lonely.
(c) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(d) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
5. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
(a) His ship sinks before it reaches Burma.
(b) His firm needs him back in Rangoon.
(c) His family has disowned him.
(d) His firm will fire him if he leaves the country.
6. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
(a) Hla Pe, the apprentice clerk
(b) Ba Taik, the servant.
(c) Dr. Veraswami, the local Indian doctor
(d) Ba Sein, the head clerk of the Deputy Commissioner's Office
7. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
(b) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(c) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(d) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
8. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He hates Burma.
(b) He could not function without his servants.
(c) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(d) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
9. Who objects to scandal among the men?
(a) Mrs. Lackersteen
(b) U Po Kyin
10. Ma Hla May complains because _____________________________.
(a) Flory has demanded she has no other lovers.
(b) Flory lets Ko S'la treat her rudely.
(c) Flory no longer buys her presents.
(d) Flory has sent her back to her parents.
11. Ba Sein brings a copy of __________________.
(a) The London Times.
(b) The Burmese Patriot.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Rangoon Gazette.
12. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she is sick from eating table scraps.
(b) she is wet from swimming in the river.
(c) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
(d) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
13. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she will make him stop drinking.
(b) she is an irresponsible drinker.
(c) she will make him leave immediately.
(d) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
14. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
(b) U Po Kyin, the magistrate
(d) Old Mattu, the beggar
15. What is U Po Kyin unable to do without help?
(a) Rise from a chair
(b) Prepare his own food
(c) Acquire merit
(d) Decide court cases
Short Answer Questions
1. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
2. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
3. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
4. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
5. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)