|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is Flory's mistress.
(b) That she is Burmese.
(c) That she refuses to do laundry.
(d) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
2. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(b) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(c) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(d) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
3. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
(b) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
(c) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
(d) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
4. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
(a) Flory's refusal to stand up for his friend.
(b) Ellis' use of the term 'nigger.'
(c) Ellis' drunkenness.
(d) Ellis' rude comments on his proposal.
5. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A patient who will not pay his bill
(b) A pack of dogs
(c) A sick patient
(d) A pox on humanity
6. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) fat and sagging
(b) rotting from within, like old fruit
(c) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(d) thin and gaunt
7. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(b) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
(c) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(d) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
8. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she is sick from eating table scraps.
(b) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
(c) she is wet from swimming in the river.
(d) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
9. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a liar and a footballer.
(b) a friend to the unfortunate.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a liar and a boxer.
10. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) sparse, lonely and bland.
(b) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(c) swift, passionate and enormous.
(d) short, light and fresh.
11. Ba Taik is ___________
(a) U Po Kyin's deputy.
(b) U Po Kyin's wife.
(c) U Po Kyin's unpaid servant.
(d) U Po Kyin's son.
12. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's assistant
(b) Flory's wife
(c) Flory's maid
(d) Flory's cocker spaniel
13. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she will make him leave immediately.
(b) she will make him stop drinking.
(c) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
(d) she is an irresponsible drinker.
14. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(b) He could not function without his servants.
(c) He hates Burma.
(d) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
15. The Club is ______________________.
(a) a grand estate.
(b) a four-room wooden building.
(c) a pillared building in the center of town.
(d) a golf course outside of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
2. What distinguishing mark does John Flory have on his body?
3. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
4. Who objects to scandal among the men?
5. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)