|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness comes from the heart.
(b) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(c) Happiness is not in power.
(d) Happiness is not in money.
2. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
(b) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
(c) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
(d) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
3. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(b) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(c) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(d) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
4. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a friend to the unfortunate.
(b) a liar and a footballer.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a liar and a boxer.
5. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone to fight Ellis.
(b) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(c) someone with whom he can share his life.
(d) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
6. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Local pariah
(b) Spineless cur
(c) Lord of all he surveys
(d) Misunderstood genius
7. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
(a) Very slimy
(b) The savage doctor
(c) Very savvy
(d) That Indian
8. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
(a) the English refusing him entrance to the Club.
(b) U Po Kyin's attempts to bribe him.
(c) Flory's health.
(d) U Po Kyin's plot against him.
9. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(b) To give it to Ellis
(c) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
(d) To ignore it
10. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(b) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(c) she reveals that she is lonely.
(d) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
11. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
(a) never experiencing beauty.
(b) being alone.
(c) being European among Burmese.
(d) feeling racist.
12. The only solution for Flory's ennui is to ________________________.
(a) exercise until he sweats.
(b) take a trip home.
(c) hide from others.
(d) get as drunk as possible.
13. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
(a) Flory is welcomed, but only because he is beneficial to Veraswami's goals.
(b) Flory is resented but tolerated.
(c) Flory is welcomed and respected by Veraswami.
(d) Flory is treated as an intruder in Veraswami's personal life.
14. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
(a) Veraswami pretends he does not hear Flory's comments.
(b) Veraswami defends and praises the English.
(c) Veraswami feels free to denounce them, too.
(d) Veraswami warns him that he is becoming a traitor.
15. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) working around the clock.
(b) drinking and visiting whores.
(c) saving money to send home to his parents.
(d) drinking and fighting with natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
2. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
3. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
4. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
5. Who accompanies Elizabeth to her uncle's house?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)