|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(b) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
(c) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(d) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
2. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) prove his worth to the white men.
(b) defend the queen.
(c) be a parasite upon them
(d) defeat the weak among his own people.
3. Who is the Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada?
(a) U Po Kyin
(b) Ko Ba Sein
(c) Ba Taik
(d) Ma Kin
4. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Chesterton
(b) Mr. Flory
(c) Mr. Lackersteen
(d) Mr. Ellis
5. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1825
(b) In Burma, April of 1925
(c) In England, April of 1825
(d) In England, April of 1925
6. Veraswami is slightly disappointed when _________________________________.
(a) Flory does not promise to propose him as a club member.
(b) Flory refuses to help him fight U Po Kyin.
(c) Flory leaves without saying hello to his wife.
(d) Flory refuses to give money to Old Mattu.
7. U Po Kyin is described as _______________.
(a) rotting from within, like old fruit
(b) fat and sagging
(c) fat, yet shapely and beautiful
(d) thin and gaunt
8. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(b) he is late for a date with his mistress.
(c) his dog needs to go out.
(d) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
9. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(b) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(c) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
(d) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
10. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
(a) A cool breeze
(b) A burst of sunshine
(c) A walk in the woods
(d) A dip in the pond
11. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(b) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(c) He wants Flo to have a companion.
(d) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
12. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
(a) A pack of dogs
(b) A patient who will not pay his bill
(c) A sick patient
(d) A pox on humanity
13. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
(b) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
(c) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
(d) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
14. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
(b) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
(c) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(d) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
15. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her husband's job
(b) her drink
(c) her wardrobe
(d) her servants
Short Answer Questions
1. The village girl that visits that morning claims ____________________________.
2. Who is Flo?
3. Ba Taik is ___________
4. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
5. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)