|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
2. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
(b) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
(c) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
(d) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
3. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
(a) Awkward and timid
(b) Cowardly and dishonorable
(c) Cruel and aggressive
(d) Ungrateful and confrontational
4. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(b) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
(c) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(d) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
5. Who objects most strongly to Macgregor's notice about admitting non-whites to the Club?
(a) Mr. Flory
(b) Mr. Ellis
(c) Mr. Lackersteen
(d) Mr. Chesterton
6. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
(a) To ignore it
(b) To give it to Ellis
(c) To bring it to Macgregor's attention
(d) To give it to Dr. Veraswami
7. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(b) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(c) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
(d) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
8. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a friend to the unfortunate.
(b) a traveller and a salesman.
(c) a liar and a footballer.
(d) a liar and a boxer.
9. The Club is ______________________.
(a) a pillared building in the center of town.
(b) a four-room wooden building.
(c) a grand estate.
(d) a golf course outside of town.
10. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
(a) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor but feels contempt for him.
(b) He acts respectfully toward Macgregor because he looks up to him.
(c) He acts as though Macgregor does not exist.
(d) He acts contemptuously toward Macgregor.
11. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
(a) Her willingness to accompany him outside the Club.
(b) Her confession that she has come to seek a husband.
(c) Her unwillingness to go to the pwe.
(d) Her admiration of Burma and its culture.
12. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
(b) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
(c) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
(d) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
13. Where and when does the story take place?
(a) In Burma, April of 1825
(b) In England, April of 1825
(c) In Burma, April of 1925
(d) In England, April of 1925
14. Mrs. Lackersteen complains about the quality of ______________.
(a) her drink
(b) her servants
(c) her husband's job
(d) her wardrobe
15. Ba Sein brings a copy of __________________.
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Rangoon Gazette.
(c) The London Times.
(d) The Burmese Patriot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
2. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
3. What nickname is Ellis given to Dr. Veraswami?
4. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
5. What does Flory's clerk bring him?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)