|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(b) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(c) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
(d) she reveals that she is lonely.
2. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
(a) Hla Pe, the apprentice clerk
(b) Ba Taik, the servant.
(c) Dr. Veraswami, the local Indian doctor
(d) Ba Sein, the head clerk of the Deputy Commissioner's Office
3. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
(a) a liar and a footballer.
(b) a friend to the unfortunate.
(c) a traveller and a salesman.
(d) a liar and a boxer.
4. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
(a) Ellis' rude comments on his proposal.
(b) Flory's refusal to stand up for his friend.
(c) Ellis' drunkenness.
(d) Ellis' use of the term 'nigger.'
5. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
(a) destroy his medical practice to make room for another doctor.
(b) drive him away from the Club.
(c) destroy his reputation and ruin him forever.
(d) have him arrested so that U Po Kyin could demand a bribe from him.
6. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
(a) short, light and fresh.
(b) joyous, lengthy and celebratory.
(c) swift, passionate and enormous.
(d) sparse, lonely and bland.
7. Whose arrival confirms Veraswami's views about the Burmese?
(a) Old Mattu, the beggar
(b) U Po Kyin, the magistrate
8. What does Ma Kin encourage her husband to do?
(a) Make more money
(b) Destroy his enemies
(c) Buy more merit.
(d) Acquire more merit
9. Why is Flory ashamed of himself?
(a) He stays home instead of joining the others at the club.
(b) He throws Ma Hla May out of the house.
(c) He signs a slanderous notice against Veraswami.
(d) He shoots the dog in cold blood.
10. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(b) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(c) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
(d) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
11. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) an animal is beyond his status level.
(b) a woman is beyond his status level.
(c) an animal is beneath contempt.
(d) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
12. Flory is more aware of his birthmark when ___________________________.
(a) he feels ashamed of himself.
(b) he feels angry.
(c) he is attracted to a woman.
(d) someone wants to touch him.
13. What confrontation does Flory endure?
(a) He has a meeting with U Po Kyin.
(b) He stands up to Dr. Veraswami.
(c) He asks Elizabeth to marry him.
(d) He turns Ma Hla May out of his house.
14. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
(b) That she refuses to do laundry.
(c) That she is Flory's mistress.
(d) That she is Burmese.
15. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(b) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
(c) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(d) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
2. Ba Sein brings a copy of __________________.
3. What surprises Flory about Elizabeth?
4. Ko S'la is __________________.
5. In the feud between U Po Kyin and Veraswami, most townspeople _____________________.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)