|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her family's immense fortunes.
(b) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(c) her father's time in the military.
(d) her time as an artist in Paris.
2. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) a solution to his problems.
(b) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
(c) his ability to see events more clearly.
(d) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
3. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
(a) He feels he deserves the punishment.
(b) He does not have the nerve to shoot the dog.
(c) He is too drunk to aim properly at the dog.
(d) He wants Flo to have a companion.
4. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(b) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(c) he is late for a date with his mistress.
(d) his dog needs to go out.
5. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
(a) U Po Kyin's attempts to bribe him.
(b) U Po Kyin's plot against him.
(c) Flory's health.
(d) the English refusing him entrance to the Club.
6. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
(a) The English
(c) The Burmese Natives
7. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) be a parasite upon them
(d) defeat the weak among his own people.
8. Flory and Ko S'la attend to Flo because _________________________.
(a) she is tired from the walk in the forest.
(b) she picks up numerous ticks during the day.
(c) she is sick from eating table scraps.
(d) she is wet from swimming in the river.
9. Ba Sein arrives to discuss ________________________________.
(a) plots against Mr. Macgregor and Dr. Veraswami.
(b) court cases against Ma Kin and Dr. Versaswami.
(c) court cases against Mr. Macgregor and Mr. Flory.
(d) plots against U Po Kyin and Ba Taik.
10. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
(a) Ba Taik, the servant.
(b) Hla Pe, the apprentice clerk
(c) Dr. Veraswami, the local Indian doctor
(d) Ba Sein, the head clerk of the Deputy Commissioner's Office
11. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(b) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
(c) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
(d) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
12. Who is Flo?
(a) Flory's cocker spaniel
(b) Flory's maid
(c) Flory's assistant
(d) Flory's wife
13. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
(a) He agrees with Ellis after all.
(b) He does not have the courage to refuse.
(c) He does not want natives admitted to the club.
(d) He feels Veraswami should be punished.
14. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
(a) accepting bribes only from Englishmen.
(b) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling on behalf of both.
(c) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling as he sees fit.
(d) accepting bribes only from those in whose favor he plans to rule.
15. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness is not in money.
(b) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(c) Happiness is not in power.
(d) Happiness comes from the heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where and when does the story take place?
2. Flory reveals what attitude toward Macgregor?
3. What does Veraswami do when Flory denounces the English?
4. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
5. How does Flory start his day?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)