|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U Po Kyin is convinced he would return as a man in his next life because ________________________.
(a) a woman is considered the same as a rat or frog.
(b) an animal is beneath contempt.
(c) an animal is beyond his status level.
(d) a woman is beyond his status level.
2. The Club is ______________________.
(a) a pillared building in the center of town.
(b) a golf course outside of town.
(c) a four-room wooden building.
(d) a grand estate.
3. Macgregor is the only Englishman who does not ____________________.
(a) object to Lackersteen's drinking and carousing.
(b) drink before sunset.
(c) like Ellis.
(d) want to admit non-whites to the Club.
4. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
(a) she will make him stop drinking.
(b) she is angry at him and will embarrass him.
(c) she will make him leave immediately.
(d) she is an irresponsible drinker.
5. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) working around the clock.
(b) drinking and fighting with natives.
(c) saving money to send home to his parents.
(d) drinking and visiting whores.
6. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
(a) never experiencing beauty.
(b) being alone.
(c) being European among Burmese.
(d) feeling racist.
7. Flory finally leaves the Club because _____________________.
(a) he cannot stand the racist talk any longer.
(b) he needs to get home before the sun is too extreme.
(c) his dog needs to go out.
(d) he is late for a date with his mistress.
8. Ba Taik is ___________
(a) U Po Kyin's unpaid servant.
(b) U Po Kyin's wife.
(c) U Po Kyin's son.
(d) U Po Kyin's deputy.
9. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Lord of all he surveys
(b) Spineless cur
(c) Misunderstood genius
(d) Local pariah
10. Who wrote the article against Mr. Macgregor?
(a) Hla Pe, the apprentice clerk
(b) Dr. Veraswami, the local Indian doctor
(c) Ba Sein, the head clerk of the Deputy Commissioner's Office
(d) Ba Taik, the servant.
11. Finally, the doctor tells Flory about his fears regarding ________________________.
(a) the English refusing him entrance to the Club.
(b) U Po Kyin's attempts to bribe him.
(c) Flory's health.
(d) U Po Kyin's plot against him.
12. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(b) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
(c) He could not function without his servants.
(d) He hates Burma.
13. Fighting for the English was U Po Kyin's dream so that he could ______________.
(a) defend the queen.
(b) prove his worth to the white men.
(c) defeat the weak among his own people.
(d) be a parasite upon them
14. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
(a) Cowardly and dishonorable
(b) Awkward and timid
(c) Ungrateful and confrontational
(d) Cruel and aggressive
15. More than anything, Flory wishes for _________________________.
(a) someone with whom he can share his life.
(b) someone who will overlook his birthmark.
(c) someone to fight Ellis.
(d) someone to force him to stand up for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
2. Who objects to scandal among the men?
3. The plot against Dr. Veraswami is to _____________________________.
4. What confrontation does Flory endure?
5. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)