|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 24 and 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what pre-ordained role does Orwell reveal that Elizabeth finds her place?
(a) A racist
(b) A housekeeper
(c) A memsahib
(d) A wife
2. How does Westfield feel about pursuing petty criminals?
(a) He refuses to pursue anyone who is not a serious criminal.
(b) He feels superior to the criminals and revels in his duty.
(c) He detests it but his racism causes him to feel they are all guilty.
(d) He loathes it but does not resist the duty.
3. Flory feels Elizabeth may be a kindred spirit because ____________________________.
(a) she comments on the beauty of the natives.
(b) she claims to love reading, as he does.
(c) she reveals that she is lonely.
(d) she claims to want to settle down in Burma.
4. Flory's fear of a confrontation with Ellis is clear because _______________________.
(a) he cannot meet Ellis' eyes and his voice shakes when he speak.
(b) he leaves the room whenever Ellis enters.
(c) he cannot speak even when Ellis asks him a question.
(d) he agrees with everything Ellis says.
5. What do the locals carry ashore at the end of Chapter twenty-one?
(a) Maxwell's body
(b) Ellis' body
(c) Westfield's body
(d) Verrall's body
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, both Flory and Elizabeth expect that ____________________________.
2. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
3. What causes Verrall to speak to Elizabeth and Mrs. Lackersteen?
4. Although he takes no action, what does Flory know would be the decent thing to do about the letter?
5. Flory and Elizabeth have an intimate moment _____________________________.
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)