|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7, 8, and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Veraswami sees the English as ______________________.
(a) a pox.
(b) an unfortunate necessity.
(c) a civilizing presence.
(d) an unwelcome presence.
2. What does Ma Kin tell her husband about happiness?
(a) Happiness is not in money.
(b) Happiness comes from the heart.
(c) Happiness escapes those who do evil.
(d) Happiness is not in power.
3. What does Lackersteen almost reveal about Ma Hla May?
(a) That she is jealous of Elizabeth.
(b) That she is Burmese.
(c) That she is Flory's mistress.
(d) That she refuses to do laundry.
4. U Po Kyin keeps up his reputation as an impartial magistrate by _______________________________.
(a) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling as he sees fit.
(b) accepting bribes from both sides, then ruling on behalf of both.
(c) accepting bribes only from those in whose favor he plans to rule.
(d) accepting bribes only from Englishmen.
5. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her time as an artist in Paris.
(b) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(c) her father's time in the military.
(d) her family's immense fortunes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
2. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
3. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
4. Ko S'la is __________________.
5. Flory's greatest misery is ______________________.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)