|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, 20, and 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the servants threaten to leave if Flory marries a European woman?
(a) They feel Flory would be unhappy.
(b) They feel Flory would be disrespecting Ma Hla May.
(c) They feel a European woman would be cheap and controlling.
(d) They feel a European woman would replace them with European servants.
2. What accounts for the change in Mrs. Lackersteen's behavior?
(a) Her social aspirations
(b) Her drinking problem
(c) Her fear of Lackersteen's infidelity
(d) Her distaste for Burmese culture
3. Ko S'la disapproves of Ma Hla May because _____________________________.
(a) He is jealous of her influence over Flory.
(b) He is insulted by her behavior toward him.
(c) He is jealous of Flory's success with women.
(d) He does not approve of a man keeping a mistress.
4. What causes Elizabeth to leave Flory's house?
(a) She realizes her uncle does not like Flory.
(b) She notices Flory's birthmark and is repulsed by it.
(c) She and Flory find the servants watching them talk.
(d) She realizes Flory is sympathetic to the natives.
5. What does Flory do when he learns the truth about Elizabeth's affair with Verrall?
(a) Leaves immediately for England
(b) Gets drunk and confronts Elizabeth
(c) Leaves immediately for the camp
(d) Gets drunk and engages a Burmese prostitute
Short Answer Questions
1. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
2. To what do the doctor and Flory compare the British Empire?
3. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
4. The two things Flory becomes as a result of his harassed childhood are _________________________.
5. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)