|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, 20, and 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(b) in love with Elizabeth.
(c) in love with Ma Hla May.
(d) destined to remain a bachelor.
2. Ellis confronts Macgregor because _______________________.
(a) he wants Macgregor to apologize for his notice.
(b) he wants Flory denounced publicly.
(c) he does not want non-whites admitted to the Club.
(d) he is unhappy with the service at the Club.
3. During Flory's time in Burma, he has grown ___________________________.
(a) homesick for England.
(b) jaded and resentful of the English.
(c) uncomfortable with his friendship with the doctor.
(d) tired of the Burmese.
4. Why does Flory not kiss Elizabeth in the jungle?
(a) He fears the Burmese men will catch them.
(b) He suddenly becomes aware of his birthmark.
(c) He does not want her to see him as a lover.
(d) He suddenly realizes she is indifferent toward him.
5. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
(b) Flory's servants.
(c) Two English men from the Club.
(d) Elizabeth's uncles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
2. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
3. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
4. U Po Kyin's meal is described as ______________________.
5. Ellis warns Flory that ________________________________.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)