|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, 20, and 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the members of the Club suddenly allow the butler into their conversation?
(a) They are afraid of his size and demeanor.
(b) He is a respectable member of Burmese society.
(c) He has had many experiences with earthquakes, and they are interested in his stories.
(d) He insists on being the center of attention.
2. Why is Elizabeth upset about the pew?
(a) She thinks the female natives are being exploited.
(b) She feels Flory might try to abandon her there.
(c) She is not allowed to sit in the front with the rest of the whites.
(d) She has to sit among the natives and watch a suggestive dance.
3. Who walks home with the Lackersteens at the end of the evening?
4. How do the men respond when Flory proposes Veraswami as a member of the Club?
(a) They are furious and refuse to entertain the idea.
(b) They are responsive to the idea.
(c) They are reluctant, but come around to Flory's suggestion.
(d) They are furious and call for a second, secret vote.
5. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
(b) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(c) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
(d) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Flory's attitude toward nature changed?
2. How does Flory feel next to Verrall?
3. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
4. Elizabeth admires Flory when she _____________________.
5. What gives Flory brief comfort at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)