|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does MacGregor start his day?
(a) He drinks gin while sitting in the tub.
(b) He does exercises at home then takes a brisk walk.
(c) He forces the other men to do calisthenics.
(d) He investigates any leftover business from the day before.
2. Elizabeth's behavior at the headman's house could be described as ______________________.
(a) timid and conciliatory
(b) warm and inviting
(c) hostile and forbidding
(d) aloof and superior
3. Elizabeth's view of the world is mostly shaped by ____________________________.
(a) her time as an artist in Paris.
(b) two terms she spent at an expensive boarding school.
(c) her family's immense fortunes.
(d) her father's time in the military.
4. What does Elizabeth's do after her mother dies?
(a) She immediately takes a cruise looking for a husband.
(b) She mourns extensively.
(c) She immediately sets sail for Burma at her uncle's invitation.
(d) She decides that she wants to live the life of an artist.
5. What excuse does Flory make to Elizabeth for Ma Hla May's presence?
(a) He says Ma Hla May is the jealous type.
(b) He says Ma Hla May is a boy.
(c) He says Ma Hla May is the laundress.
(d) He says Ma Hla May is Ko S'la's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of the setting is repeatedly mentioned in Chapter 2?
2. Lackersteen does not want to see his wife because __________________________.
3. How is Flory received at Dr. Veraswami's house?
4. How does Flory discover Lackersteen's niece, Elizabeth?
5. Macgregor is most offended by ____________________.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)