|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) a solution to his problems.
(b) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
(c) his ability to see events more clearly.
(d) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
2. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(b) Fear and resentment
(c) Guilt and self-loathing
(d) Courage and exhilaration
3. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
(a) He is running from the law in England.
(b) He needs to escape from a woman.
(c) He has no other training or prospects.
(d) He has enormous debts to pay.
4. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(b) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
(c) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(d) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
5. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
(a) a sick woman creeping out of bed.
(b) a Japanese lantern.
(c) an envious goddess.
(d) a silver orb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
2. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
3. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
4. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
5. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)