|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Francis and Samuel?
(a) Two Eurasian men Flory has befriended.
(b) Two English men from the Club.
(c) Flory's servants.
(d) Elizabeth's uncles.
2. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
(a) Verrall has a spotless reputation with officers and creditors.
(b) Verrall is destined for a happy marriage.
(c) Verrall dances with Elizabeth at the Club.
(d) Verrall is extremely wealthy.
3. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(a) Burmese culture
4. Why is Flory not allowed to return to England?
(a) His ship sinks before it reaches Burma.
(b) His firm needs him back in Rangoon.
(c) His firm will fire him if he leaves the country.
(d) His family has disowned him.
5. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(b) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
(c) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(d) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
2. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
3. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
4. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
5. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)