|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) wants her to admire the Burmese.
(c) has a Burmese wife.
(d) wants her to return with him to England.
2. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(b) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(c) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(d) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
3. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(b) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(c) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(d) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
4. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Climbs up on to her lap
(b) Cries upon seeing her
(c) Wants her to hold him
(d) Wets himself on the floor
5. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) destined to remain a bachelor.
(b) in love with Ma Hla May.
(c) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(d) in love with Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
2. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
3. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
4. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)