|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flory signed the notice because ____________________________.
(a) He does not have the courage to refuse.
(b) He agrees with Ellis after all.
(c) He feels Veraswami should be punished.
(d) He does not want natives admitted to the club.
2. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
(a) does not find her attractive.
(b) wants her to return with him to England.
(c) has a Burmese wife.
(d) wants her to admire the Burmese.
3. Why is Ellis upset that Verrall has abused the butler?
(a) Ellis believes Verrall is part Burman, and therefore should not be admitted to the Club.
(b) Ellis wants Verrall to approve of everyone in the Club.
(c) Ellis believes Verrall has no right to abuse the Club's butler as he is not a member.
(d) Ellis feels protective of the butler.
4. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
5. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) destined to remain a bachelor.
(b) in love with Ma Hla May.
(c) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(d) in love with Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
2. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
3. Why does Verrall enter the Burma Military Police?
4. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
5. Why does Flory let the distraction remain?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)