|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(b) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(c) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
(d) Verrall declines the invitation.
2. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
(a) Elizabeth refuses to speak to him.
(b) He is caught up in the noise and the crowd.
(c) He sees her interest in the Burmese people.
(d) He is busy buying his groceries.
3. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
(a) She agrees to stay behind with Elizabeth as Lackersteen returns to the jungle.
(b) She allows Elizabeth to choose for herself between Flory and Verrall.
(c) She gives Elizabeth money to make herself a more appealing catch.
(d) She offers to find Elizabeth a husband back in England.
4. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
(a) Unfortunate episodes
(b) Dark spells
(c) Formative periods
(d) Moral failings
5. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and fighting with natives.
(b) working around the clock.
(c) saving money to send home to his parents.
(d) drinking and visiting whores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
2. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
3. Who does Flory feel is the entity to blame for his dishonor and futility?
4. As Elizabeth and Verrall dance outside, the moon is described as _________________________.
5. Who are Francis and Samuel?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)