|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
(a) Wets himself on the floor
(b) Climbs up on to her lap
(c) Wants her to hold him
(d) Cries upon seeing her
2. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
(b) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
(c) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(d) his parents brought him over on vacation.
3. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
(a) He was "sticking by his job."
(b) He was refusing to become a man.
(c) He was "choosing peace."
(d) He was "fighting his own battles."
4. Flory is convinced he is ______________________.
(a) in love with Elizabeth.
(b) destined to remain a bachelor.
(c) in love with Mrs. Lackersteen.
(d) in love with Ma Hla May.
5. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
(c) Burmese culture
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the ugly periods in Flory's past?
2. What causes the Englishmen to feel envy for Verrall?
3. Verrall's attitude toward women suggests __________________________.
4. Elizabeth now believes she can describe Flory with her deadliest word: ________________.
5. Orwell states that in India you are not judged for what you do but ___________________.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)