|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flory's conviction to stand by Veraswami cause him to feel?
(a) Fear and resentment
(b) Courage and exhilaration
(d) Guilt and self-loathing
2. What keeps Flory from falling asleep?
(a) A dog attacked Flo outside his house.
(b) A dog continues to yelp outside his house.
(c) Birds are calling in the trees outside his house.
(d) Ma Hla May will not leave him alone.
3. What does Flory realize when he is forced to return to Burma?
(a) He is now more at home in Burma than in England.
(b) He will not see his Father again before he dies.
(c) He could not function without his servants.
(d) He hates Burma.
4. What effect does Elizabeth have on Verrall?
(a) Her beauty finally causes Verrall to socialize with the English.
(b) Elizabeth's boldness in approaching him offends him.
(c) Her beauty intimidates him and he cannot speak.
(d) Her disdain for Burmese culture infuriates him.
5. What words does Flory use to describe himself?
(a) Spineless cur
(b) Local pariah
(c) Misunderstood genius
(d) Lord of all he surveys
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth understands that Flory ________________________.
2. What is one of the few subjects that Flory and Elizabeth both enjoy discussing together?
3. Why does Flory not recognize Elizabeth's discomfort at the bazaar?
4. What "sacrifice" does Mrs. Lackersteen make for Elizabeth?
5. What is Flory's excuse for evading the war in England?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)