|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do most of Flory's experiences portray him?
(a) Cowardly and dishonorable
(b) Cruel and aggressive
(c) Awkward and timid
(d) Ungrateful and confrontational
2. Flory's resolve to shoot the dog results in __________________________.
(a) his ability to see events more clearly.
(b) his resolve to stand up for Veraswami.
(c) a wasted effort, ultimately ineffective.
(d) a solution to his problems.
3. When Lackersteen invites Verrall to the Club, __________________________.
(a) Verrall comes to the Club with a native friend.
(b) Verrall declines the invitation.
(c) Verrall ignores the invitation.
(d) Verrall comes to the Club at once.
4. Many of Flory's early years in Burma were spent ____________________________.
(a) drinking and visiting whores.
(b) drinking and fighting with natives.
(c) working around the clock.
(d) saving money to send home to his parents.
5. Flory landed in Burma because ________________________________.
(a) his parents bought him a position at a firm.
(b) his parents brought him over on vacation.
(c) his parents demanded he get a job or leave the house.
(d) his parents believed he could not survive in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell claims that the notion of men at the 'outposts of Empire' as able and hardworking is ___________.
2. Flory's camp has run out of its opium supply because _________________________.
3. Of all the indulgent freedoms allowed a pukka sahib, the one freedom denied them is ________________________.
4. What does the Chinese child do that upsets Elizabeth?
5. Who are Francis and Samuel?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)