* In 1925, U Po Kyin is a Subdivisional Magistrate of Kyauktada in Burma, at the time an English colony.
* U Po Kyin has risen to his position due to his dishonesty and treachery.
* He reflects that he can make up for his misdeeds by building religious sites later in life.
* During the morning, U Po Kyin takes visitors, most of whom arrive to offer him bribes.
* U Po Kyin and Ba Sein, a subordinate, discuss their most recent intrigue, which involves dishonoring a well-respected Burmese doctor
* .Ba Taik displays a copy of the Burmese Patriot, which humorously slanders the name of Mr. Macgregor, the English Deputy Commissioner of the area.
* After approving of the editorial, U Po Kyin announces that they will henceforth make a concerted attack upon the character of Dr. Veraswami, a local Indian resident.
* U Po Kyin deals with his other visitors swiftly and without...
This section contains 2,734 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)