|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ecocritics expand literary practice to emphasize factual writing with ________ work like travel writing and regional literature.
2. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
3. In the chapter titled "Narratology", ________ means slow telling where an author stages a tale for readers whereas ________ means relating where the narrator summarizes events without trying to create an illusion.
4. In the phrase "the archival continuum," an important difference between old and new historicisms is encapsulated in the word ________, for that word indicates that new historicism is indeed a historicist rather than a historical movement.
5. ________ is a co-founder of ecocriticism with Harold Fromm that developed in the early-1990s in the USA.
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
2. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
3. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
4. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
5. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
6. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
7. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
8. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
9. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
10. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how deconstruction ties into post-structuralism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Identify, analyze, and discuss the significance of the ten principles of liberal humanism that Peter Barry summarizes within the book "Beginning Theory."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and describe Jacques Lacan's impact and purpose in psychoanalytic criticism.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)