|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women?
2. According to Peter Barry, what is the subject of narratology common to all story-telling?
3. Which Greek philosopher identified three elements in a plot, fault or character-defect, recognition, and reversal, which are all incumbent on the hero or heroine?
4. According to the narrator, what is another term for ecocriticism?
5. Peter Barry states that in the 1990s a second, less essentialist, notion of lesbianism emerged, within the sphere of what is now known as ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is one significant effect of post-colonial criticism?
2. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
3. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
4. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
5. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
6. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
7. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
8. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
9. What is discourse as it relates to new historicism?
10. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and describe Jacques Lacan's impact and purpose in psychoanalytic criticism.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Peter Barry draws a parallel between gay and lesbian theory.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss how and why Sigmund Freud is relevant to literary theory. Give at least five supporting examples that indicate that relevance.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)