|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator believes that after the moment of theory there comes, inevitably, the ________ of theory, when it ceases to be the exclusive concern of a dedicated minority and enters the intellectual bloodstream.
2. The term "reification" was used in Karl Marx's major work ________, and it concerned the way, when capitalist goals and questions of profit and loss are paramount, workers are bereft of their full humanity and are though of as "hands" or "the labor force."
3. Karl Marx is described by Peter Barry as being a German ________.
4. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
5. Which of the following realism terms best illustrates the straight realism which was imposed in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
2. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
3. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
4. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
5. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
6. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
7. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
8. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
9. What are some of the advantages of new historicism?
10. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how deconstruction ties into post-structuralism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relevance of Beginning Theory to English literature today.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the background and history of Marxism theory.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)