|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
2. Dollimore and Sinfield defined the term "Political Shakespeare" as designating a critical method which has ________ characteristics.
3. According to Peter Barry, stylistics developed in what century?
4. The gist of "Style in Language," edited by ________, is to claim that linguistics offers a more objective way of studying literature, and the book tends to set up "a confrontation of camps" between literary and language studies.
5. In the chapter titled "Lesbian / Gay Criticism," it states that lesbian and gay literary theory emerged prominently as a distinct field only in the ________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, analyze, and discuss the significance of the ten principles of liberal humanism that Peter Barry summarizes within the book "Beginning Theory."
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "landmarks" in postmodernism as discussed by Peter Barry.
Essay Topic 3
Identify, discuss, and analyze the history of English studies as foretold by Peter Barry.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)