|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the following statement found in the chapter "New Historicism and Cultural Materialism," what does the word "panoptic" mean: "Michel Foucault's pervasive image of the state is that of 'panoptic'"?
2. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
3. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
4. The narrator explains that those abroad who were sympathetic to the ideas of Communism tried to follow the ________ on matters where an official Party policy existed, hence the international influence of the Leninist views.
5. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
2. What is narratology?
3. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
4. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
5. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
6. What is lesbian feminism?
7. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
8. What is discourse as it relates to new historicism?
9. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
10. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an argumentative essay, state whether you believe stylistics is a theory or a practice.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the ambitions of stylistics as described by Peter Barry.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the background and history of Marxism theory.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)