|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The panopticon was a design for a circular prison conceived by the eighteenth-century utilitarian ________.
2. During the 1980s, linguists consulted and incorporated non-linguistic material in which came to be called the ________, which had a limited degree of eclecticism and was less likely to claim that it alone studied literature in an objective way.
3. New historicists focus attention on issues of ________ and how it is maintained, on patriarchal structures and their perpetuation, and on the process of colonization, with its accompanying "mind-set."
4. Who does Peter Barry credit with partially defusing the conflict between heterosexual feminists and lesbians in an important essay which introduced the notion of the "lesbian continuum"?
5. According to Peter Barry at the beginning of the book "Beginning Theory," many of the chapters in the book were based on material Barry has used in the "Introduction to Literature" courses at what university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Karl Marx?
2. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
3. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
4. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
5. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
6. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
7. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
8. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
9. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
10. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Peter Barry's instructional approach to literary theory.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how women are represented by both men and women in a piece of literature that you have read in the past. Explain how this representation of women would be viewed by feminist critics.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how deconstruction ties into post-structuralism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)