|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chapter "Narratology," Russian formalist Vladimir Propp identified how many actions in a tale with seven spheres of action to animate?
2. In the following statement found in the chapter "New Historicism and Cultural Materialism," what does the word "panoptic" mean: "Michel Foucault's pervasive image of the state is that of 'panoptic'"?
3. Which of the following authors wrote the essay "What Has Never Been: An Overview of Lesbian Feminist Criticism" and attacked "essentialism," pointing out the way "the perceptual screen of hetero-sexism" prevented any consideration of lesbian issues in pioneering feminist writing?
4. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
5. According to the narrator, all of the following authors were major proponents of ecocriticism except for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
2. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
3. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
4. What is the aim of Marxism, according to the narrator?
5. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
6. What is narratology?
7. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
8. What is discourse as it relates to new historicism?
9. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
10. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how women are represented by both men and women in a piece of literature that you have read in the past. Explain how this representation of women would be viewed by feminist critics.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Peter Barry draws a parallel between gay and lesbian theory.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "landmarks" in postmodernism as discussed by Peter Barry.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)