|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
2. According to Marxist literary criticism, what term is best defined as an outlook, values, tacit assumptions, half-realized allegiances, etc. and having a major bearing on what is written by a member of a social class?
3. The chapter "Stylistics" states that the stop-start quality can be removed and cohesion achieved by what linguists call "pronominalization," using ________.
4. Which of the following term is about "lexical items" (words) which cross the boundaries between sentences, binding them into a single continuous utterance, even though they are grammatically separate sentences?
5. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
2. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
3. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
4. Explain the meaning of "adopt," "adapt," and "adept" phases as they relate to post-colonial criticism.
5. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
6. What are some of the advantages of new historicism?
7. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
8. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
9. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
10. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an argumentative essay, state whether you believe stylistics is a theory or a practice.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the background and history of Marxism theory.
Essay Topic 3
Identify, analyze, and discuss the following quote: "The most basic difference between liberal humanist and structuralist reading is that the structuralist's comments on structure, symbol, and design, become paramount, and are the main focus of the commentary, while the emphasis on any wider moral significance, and indeed on interpretation itself in the broad sense, is very much reduced."
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)