|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women?
2. Karl Marx is described by Peter Barry as being a German ________.
3. The narrator believes that after the moment of theory there comes, inevitably, the ________ of theory, when it ceases to be the exclusive concern of a dedicated minority and enters the intellectual bloodstream.
4. All of the following are part of the four areas identified as "outdoor environment" in the Chapter "Ecocriticism," except for which one?
5. What was the name of the Nigerian novelist who published his first novel, "Things Fall Apart," in 1958, and was criticized by an early reviewer for affecting identity with African villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
2. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
3. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
4. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
5. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
6. Who was Karl Marx?
7. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
8. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
9. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
10. Briefly explain new historicism as it is described by the author.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and describe Jacques Lacan's impact and purpose in psychoanalytic criticism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how women are represented by both men and women in a piece of literature that you have read in the past. Explain how this representation of women would be viewed by feminist critics.
Essay Topic 3
Identify, discuss, and analyze the history of English studies as foretold by Peter Barry.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)