|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following two writers were stigmatized as exemplars of "bourgeois decadence"?
2. Which of the following term is about "lexical items" (words) which cross the boundaries between sentences, binding them into a single continuous utterance, even though they are grammatically separate sentences?
3. According to the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," in its earliest phase, post-colonial criticism took as its main subject matter ________ representations of colonial countries and criticized these for their limitations and their bias.
4. ________ is a co-founder of ecocriticism with Harold Fromm that developed in the early-1990s in the USA.
5. Dollimore and Sinfield defined the term "Political Shakespeare" as designating a critical method which has ________ characteristics.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is one significant effect of post-colonial criticism?
2. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
3. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
4. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
5. What is narratology?
6. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
7. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
8. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
9. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
10. What is the aim of Marxism, according to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the background and history of Marxism theory.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Peter Barry's instructional approach to literary theory.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and describe Jacques Lacan's impact and purpose in psychoanalytic criticism.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)