|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the 1986 book "Linguistic Criticism," which characterized linguistic criticism as "objective description of texts"?
2. Author Peter Barry uses an excerpt from which author to illustrate the analysis of narratologists?
3. According to the chapter titled "Marxist Criticism," what was the name of the group that had flourished in the 1920s until disbanded by the Party, even though their work was not strictly Marxist in spirit?
4. Barry structures the work of Genette on a range of ________ questions to detail the process of telling.
5. What was the name of the Nigerian novelist who published his first novel, "Things Fall Apart," in 1958, and was criticized by an early reviewer for affecting identity with African villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is narratology?
2. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
3. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
4. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
5. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
6. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
7. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
8. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
9. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
10. According to the narrator, what is one significant effect of post-colonial criticism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how women are represented by both men and women in a piece of literature that you have read in the past. Explain how this representation of women would be viewed by feminist critics.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the background and history of Marxism theory.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how deconstruction ties into post-structuralism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)