|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
2. The panopticon was a design for a circular prison conceived by the eighteenth-century utilitarian ________.
3. Ecocritics emphasize writers who highlight ________ as their subject matter.
4. In the chapter titled "Stylistics," whom does Peter Barry credit with inventing the term "under-lexicalization"?
5. According to the narrator, Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar's "The Madwoman in the Attic" contained ________ passing reference to lesbianism.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
2. Who was Karl Marx?
3. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
4. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
5. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
6. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
7. Explain the meaning of "adopt," "adapt," and "adept" phases as they relate to post-colonial criticism.
8. What is lesbian feminism?
9. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
10. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Edgar Allan Poe's impact on structuralism. Be sure to cite Poe's literary works and discuss how they fit into the structuralist theory.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the ambitions of stylistics as described by Peter Barry.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Peter Barry's instructional approach to literary theory.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)