|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator explains that narratology studies how narratives, or stories, creates ________.
2. What was the name of the American journal that was considered the "house magazine" of the new historicism?
3. Barry structures the work of Genette on a range of ________ questions to detail the process of telling.
4. According to Peter Barry, stylistics developed in what century?
5. All of the following are part of the four areas identified as "outdoor environment" in the Chapter "Ecocriticism," except for which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
2. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
3. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
4. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
5. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
6. What is the aim of Marxism, according to the narrator?
7. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
8. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
9. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
10. What are the ambitions of stylistics as defined by Peter Barry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, list, and describe the specific functions ecocritics perform in their analysis of literary text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "landmarks" in postmodernism as discussed by Peter Barry.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what it means to read literature with the perspective of "Orientalism" in mind.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)