|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ studies the relationship between literature and physical environment.
2. Which of the following term is about "lexical items" (words) which cross the boundaries between sentences, binding them into a single continuous utterance, even though they are grammatically separate sentences?
3. ________ focalization is classic narrative called omniscient narration, according to the narrator in the chapter titled "Narratology."
4. Who does Peter Barry credit with partially defusing the conflict between heterosexual feminists and lesbians in an important essay which introduced the notion of the "lesbian continuum"?
5. The chapter "Narratology" explains that Aristotle offered types of psychic narrative with ________'s plot specifics and ________'s tools to tell the story.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
2. What is narratology?
3. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
4. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
5. Explain the meaning of "adopt," "adapt," and "adept" phases as they relate to post-colonial criticism.
6. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
7. What is the aim of Marxism, according to the narrator?
8. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
9. Briefly discuss what post-colonial critics do according to the narrator.
10. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, list, and describe the specific functions ecocritics perform in their analysis of literary text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what it means to read literature with the perspective of "Orientalism" in mind.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Peter Barry draws a parallel between gay and lesbian theory.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)