|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ecocriticism was a term that was applied to the work previously known as what form of writing?
2. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
3. Ecocritics emphasize writers who highlight ________ as their subject matter.
4. Ecocritics expand literary practice to emphasize factual writing with ________ work like travel writing and regional literature.
5. Author Peter Barry uses an excerpt from which author to illustrate the analysis of narratologists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
2. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
3. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
4. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
5. What are the ambitions of stylistics as defined by Peter Barry?
6. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
7. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
8. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
9. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
10. Who was Karl Marx?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish modernism from post-modernism according to the book "Beginning Theory." Be sure to include the origin of both theories.
Essay Topic 2
Identify, list, and describe the specific functions ecocritics perform in their analysis of literary text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what it means to read literature with the perspective of "Orientalism" in mind.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)