|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Peter Barry, stylistics developed in what century?
2. Which of the following terms is defined as the view that, in spite of the connections between culture and economics, art has a degree of independence from economic forces?
3. The narrator explains that conventional ________ is often seen by the stylistician as impressionistic, intuitive, and randomized.
4. According to the chapter "Stylistics," in medieval times rhetoric played an important part in training people for the ________, the legal profession, and political or diplomatic life.
5. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss how and why Sigmund Freud is relevant to literary theory. Give at least five supporting examples that indicate that relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Edgar Allan Poe's impact on structuralism. Be sure to cite Poe's literary works and discuss how they fit into the structuralist theory.
Essay Topic 3
Identify, discuss, and analyze the history of English studies as foretold by Peter Barry.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)