|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the 1986 book "Linguistic Criticism," which characterized linguistic criticism as "objective description of texts"?
2. Which of the following two writers were stigmatized as exemplars of "bourgeois decadence"?
3. The chapter "Postcolonial Criticism" states that post-colonial critics celebrate hybridity and ________, which is the situation whereby individuals and groups belong simultaneously to more than one culture.
4. Who wrote the following statement, which is found in the chapter "Postcolonial Criticism": "We cannot easily say that since Mansfield Park is a novel, its affiliations with a particularly sordid history are irrelevant or transcended, not only because it is irresponsible to say that, but because we know too much to say so with bad faith"?
5. Peter Barry states that in the 1990s a second, less essentialist, notion of lesbianism emerged, within the sphere of what is now known as ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
2. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
3. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
4. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
5. What are the ambitions of stylistics as defined by Peter Barry?
6. Explain the meaning of "adopt," "adapt," and "adept" phases as they relate to post-colonial criticism.
7. What is discourse as it relates to new historicism?
8. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
9. According to the narrator, what is one significant effect of post-colonial criticism?
10. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss how and why Sigmund Freud is relevant to literary theory. Give at least five supporting examples that indicate that relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Identify, analyze, and discuss the significance of the ten principles of liberal humanism that Peter Barry summarizes within the book "Beginning Theory."
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish modernism from post-modernism according to the book "Beginning Theory." Be sure to include the origin of both theories.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)