|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Author Peter Barry explains that post-colonial critics reject the claims to universalism made on behalf of canonical _________ literature and seek to show its limitations of outlook.
2. According to Peter Barry at the beginning of the book "Beginning Theory," many of the chapters in the book were based on material Barry has used in the "Introduction to Literature" courses at what university?
3. Ecocritics expand literary practice to emphasize factual writing with ________ work like travel writing and regional literature.
4. Which of the following people broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women?
5. According to Peter Barry, the term "new historicism" was coined by the ________ critic Stephen Greenblattt.
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss how and why Sigmund Freud is relevant to literary theory. Give at least five supporting examples that indicate that relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish modernism from post-modernism according to the book "Beginning Theory." Be sure to include the origin of both theories.
Essay Topic 3
Identify, discuss, and analyze the history of English studies as foretold by Peter Barry.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)