|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term used to describe the study of narrative structures that combines characteristics and is derived from structuralism and linguistic theory?
2. The institutional acceptance of the term "queer" dates to a 1990 conference on "queer theory" at what major university?
(a) University of California.
(b) University of New Mexico.
(c) University of New York.
(d) University of Florida.
3. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
4. Which of the following term is about "lexical items" (words) which cross the boundaries between sentences, binding them into a single continuous utterance, even though they are grammatically separate sentences?
5. In the chapter titled "Narratology," Peter Barry uses ________ rather than ________ to incorporate style, pace, and viewpoint, packaged to cause the desired effect.
(a) Fancy / imagination.
(b) Metonymy / metaphor.
(c) Discourse / plot.
(d) Carnival / carnivalesque.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stylistics is the modern version of the ancient discipline known as ________, which taught its students how to structure an argument.
2. ________ focalization is classic narrative called omniscient narration, according to the narrator in the chapter titled "Narratology."
3. Who does Peter Barry credit with partially defusing the conflict between heterosexual feminists and lesbians in an important essay which introduced the notion of the "lesbian continuum"?
4. Who wrote the following statement, which is found in the chapter "Postcolonial Criticism": "We cannot easily say that since Mansfield Park is a novel, its affiliations with a particularly sordid history are irrelevant or transcended, not only because it is irresponsible to say that, but because we know too much to say so with bad faith"?
5. Which of the following realism terms best illustrates the straight realism which was imposed in the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the narrator say queer theory differs from lesbian feminism?
2. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
3. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
4. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
5. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
6. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
7. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
8. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
9. What is discourse as it relates to new historicism?
10. Who was Karl Marx?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)