|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
2. According to the chapter "New Historicism and Cultural Materialism," the notion of the state as all-powerful and all-seeing stems from the post-structuralist cultural historian ________.
(a) Michel Foucault.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Edwin A. Abbott.
(d) Anthony Burgess.
3. Which of the following essays is an example of new historicism in practice written by Louis Montrose?
(a) Lord of the Flies.
(b) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) The Sun Also Rises.
4. Who argued the fluidity of identity, including sexual identity in their highly influential "Epistemology of the Closet"?
(a) Diana Fuss.
(b) Rock Meyer.
(c) Eve Sedgwick.
(d) Judith Butler.
5. In the chapter titled "Narratology," Peter Barry uses ________ rather than ________ to incorporate style, pace, and viewpoint, packaged to cause the desired effect.
(a) Fancy / imagination.
(b) Metonymy / metaphor.
(c) Carnival / carnivalesque.
(d) Discourse / plot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the following statement, which is found in the chapter "Postcolonial Criticism": "We cannot easily say that since Mansfield Park is a novel, its affiliations with a particularly sordid history are irrelevant or transcended, not only because it is irresponsible to say that, but because we know too much to say so with bad faith"?
2. According to the narrator, Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar's "The Madwoman in the Attic" contained ________ passing reference to lesbianism.
3. All of the following are part of the four areas identified as "outdoor environment" in the Chapter "Ecocriticism," except for which one?
4. Ecocritics emphasize writers who highlight ________ as their subject matter.
5. The chapter "Narratology" explains that Aristotle offered types of psychic narrative with ________'s plot specifics and ________'s tools to tell the story.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)