|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator believes that after the moment of theory there comes, inevitably, the ________ of theory, when it ceases to be the exclusive concern of a dedicated minority and enters the intellectual bloodstream.
2. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
3. What was the name of the American journal that was considered the "house magazine" of the new historicism?
(d) Dramatic unities.
4. Ecocriticism was a term that was applied to the work previously known as what form of writing?
5. Peter Barry states that in the 1990s a second, less essentialist, notion of lesbianism emerged, within the sphere of what is now known as ________.
(a) Hybrid theory.
(b) Queer theory.
(c) Speech act theory.
(d) Reception theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ is a co-founder of ecocriticism with Harold Fromm that developed in the early-1990s in the USA.
2. According to the chapter "Stylistics," in medieval times rhetoric played an important part in training people for the ________, the legal profession, and political or diplomatic life.
3. According to Peter Barry at the beginning of the book "Beginning Theory," many of the chapters in the book were based on material Barry has used in the "Introduction to Literature" courses at what university?
4. The chapter "Stylistics" states that the stop-start quality can be removed and cohesion achieved by what linguists call "pronominalization," using ________.
5. In the phrase "the archival continuum," an important difference between old and new historicisms is encapsulated in the word ________, for that word indicates that new historicism is indeed a historicist rather than a historical movement.
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
2. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
3. Who was Karl Marx?
4. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
5. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
6. What was the "Vulgar Marxism"?
7. What four areas of ecocriticism does Peter Barry identify?
8. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
9. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
10. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)