|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Peter Barry in the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," Frantz Fanon was a ________ from Martinique.
2. According to the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," in its earliest phase, post-colonial criticism took as its main subject matter ________ representations of colonial countries and criticized these for their limitations and their bias.
3. Which of the following essays is an example of new historicism in practice written by Louis Montrose?
(a) Heart of Darkness.
(b) The Sun Also Rises.
(c) Lord of the Flies.
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
4. Which Greek philosopher identified three elements in a plot, fault or character-defect, recognition, and reversal, which are all incumbent on the hero or heroine?
5. Which of the following term is about "lexical items" (words) which cross the boundaries between sentences, binding them into a single continuous utterance, even though they are grammatically separate sentences?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the phrase "the archival continuum," an important difference between old and new historicisms is encapsulated in the word ________, for that word indicates that new historicism is indeed a historicist rather than a historical movement.
2. In the chapter titled "Stylistics," whom does Peter Barry credit with inventing the term "under-lexicalization"?
3. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
4. According to the narrator, what is another term for ecocriticism?
5. The narrator explains that those abroad who were sympathetic to the ideas of Communism tried to follow the ________ on matters where an official Party policy existed, hence the international influence of the Leninist views.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do ecocritics do according to Peter Barry?
2. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
3. What is narratology?
4. Briefly define "mimesis" and "diegesis" as determined by Peter Barry.
5. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
6. Is stylistics confined to just the analysis of literature? Explain.
7. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
8. What are some of the advantages of new historicism?
9. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
10. How does stylistics differ from standard close reading?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)