|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, post-colonial critics would discuss the representation of what country in Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"?
2. The term "reification" was used in Karl Marx's major work ________, and it concerned the way, when capitalist goals and questions of profit and loss are paramount, workers are bereft of their full humanity and are though of as "hands" or "the labor force."
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) Das Kapital.
(c) The Poverty of Philosophy.
(d) The German Ideology.
3. What was the name of the American journal that was considered the "house magazine" of the new historicism?
(b) Dramatic unities.
4. Ecocritics expand literary practice to emphasize factual writing with ________ work like travel writing and regional literature.
5. According to the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," in its earliest phase, post-colonial criticism took as its main subject matter ________ representations of colonial countries and criticized these for their limitations and their bias.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the nineteenth century, linguistics was usually known as ________, and was almost entirely historical in emphasis.
2. ________ focalization is classic narrative called omniscient narration, according to the narrator in the chapter titled "Narratology."
3. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
4. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
5. According to the narrator, post-colonial criticism gained currency through the influence of all the following books except for which one?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)