|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator explains that those abroad who were sympathetic to the ideas of Communism tried to follow the ________ on matters where an official Party policy existed, hence the international influence of the Leninist views.
(a) Moscow line.
(b) Census line.
(c) Independent line.
(d) Soviet line.
2. According to Peter Barry, the aim of Marxism was to bring about a ________ society, based on the common ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange.
3. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
(a) Homosexual concepts.
(b) Queer studies.
(c) Homosexual education.
(d) Heterosexual examinations.
4. According to the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," in its earliest phase, post-colonial criticism took as its main subject matter ________ representations of colonial countries and criticized these for their limitations and their bias.
5. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stylistics is the modern version of the ancient discipline known as ________, which taught its students how to structure an argument.
2. Barry structures the work of Genette on a range of ________ questions to detail the process of telling.
3. Which of the following people broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women?
4. The narrator explains that conventional ________ is often seen by the stylistician as impressionistic, intuitive, and randomized.
5. According to the narrator, post-colonial criticism gained currency through the influence of all the following books except for which one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
2. How does Barry use the term "discourse" in relation to narratology? Who else used such term according to Barry?
3. What are some of the advantages of new historicism?
4. What are the ambitions of stylistics as defined by Peter Barry?
5. What is narratology?
6. Who are Cheryll Glotfelty and Harold Fromm? Explain the ecocriticism movement.
7. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
8. Explain the meaning of "adopt," "adapt," and "adept" phases as they relate to post-colonial criticism.
9. What is the aim of Marxism, according to the narrator?
10. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)