|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels were the join founders of the school of________ according to the Chapter titled "Marxist Criticism."
2. ________ studies the relationship between literature and physical environment.
(b) New criticism.
3. According to Peter Barry in the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," Frantz Fanon was a ________ from Martinique.
4. The institutional acceptance of the term "queer" dates to a 1990 conference on "queer theory" at what major university?
(a) University of Florida.
(b) University of New Mexico.
(c) University of California.
(d) University of New York.
5. The chapter "Narratology" explains that Aristotle offered types of psychic narrative with ________'s plot specifics and ________'s tools to tell the story.
(a) T.S. Eliot / Proust
(b) Propp / Genette.
(c) Galileo Galilei / Kepler
(d) Plato / Aristophenes
Short Answer Questions
1. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
2. New historicists focus attention on issues of ________ and how it is maintained, on patriarchal structures and their perpetuation, and on the process of colonization, with its accompanying "mind-set."
3. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
4. According to the chapter titled "Postcolonial Criticism," in its earliest phase, post-colonial criticism took as its main subject matter ________ representations of colonial countries and criticized these for their limitations and their bias.
5. The term "reification" was used in Karl Marx's major work ________, and it concerned the way, when capitalist goals and questions of profit and loss are paramount, workers are bereft of their full humanity and are though of as "hands" or "the labor force."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does ecocriticism study? What is another term for ecocriticism?
2. What are the four characteristics that define the term "Political Shakespeare"?
3. Briefly discuss the ancestry of post-colonial criticism.
4. What is the purpose of lesbian/gay criticism according to the "Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader"?
5. What were some of the influences on early Marxist thinking?
6. Who was Karl Marx?
7. What is lesbian feminism?
8. Briefly explain what lesbian/gay critics do.
9. Explain what liberal humanism and stylistics have in common.
10. Discuss the three elements Aristotle identified in a plot. What key point does Barry suggest about timing as it relates to plot?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)