|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is thecritical approach which uses the methods and findings of the science of linguistics in the analysis of literary texts?
2. Author Peter Barry uses an excerpt from which author to illustrate the analysis of narratologists?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
3. Who argued the fluidity of identity, including sexual identity in their highly influential "Epistemology of the Closet"?
(a) Rock Meyer.
(b) Eve Sedgwick.
(c) Judith Butler.
(d) Diana Fuss.
4. Peter Barry explains that post-colonial criticism emerges as a distinct category only in the ________.
5. The panopticon was a design for a circular prison conceived by the eighteenth-century utilitarian ________.
(a) Ray Bradbury.
(b) Anthony Burgess.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Jeremy Bentham.
Short Answer Questions
1. New historicists focus attention on issues of ________ and how it is maintained, on patriarchal structures and their perpetuation, and on the process of colonization, with its accompanying "mind-set."
2. According to the narrator, what is another term for ecocriticism?
3. During the 1980s, linguists consulted and incorporated non-linguistic material in which came to be called the ________, which had a limited degree of eclecticism and was less likely to claim that it alone studied literature in an objective way.
4. According to the narrator, all of the following authors were major proponents of ecocriticism except for whom?
5. In the chapter titled "Stylistics," whom does Peter Barry credit with inventing the term "under-lexicalization"?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)