|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the following religious believers were not allowed to attend university in England in the nineteenth century except which one?
2. Who presented I.A. Richard with the manuscript of the book which was published in 1930 with the title Seven Types of Ambiguity?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut.
(b) George Zebrowski.
(c) Wilfred Owen.
(d) William Empson.
3. Who was appointed Professor at King's College, London in 1840?
(a) F.D. Maurice.
(b) Nick Hornby.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) Frank McCourt.
4. The crucial essay "The Death of the Author" written in 1968 was the "hinge" around which ________ turned from structuralism to post-structuralism.
5. In the chapter titled "Feminist Criticism," which group did author Peter Barry say maintained a major interest in traditional critical concepts like theme, motif, and characterization?
(a) The Native Americans.
(b) The American Indians.
(c) The Anglo-Americans.
(d) The African Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Peter Barry in the chapter titled "Post-Structuralism and Deconstruction," post-structuralist critics seek to show that the text is characterized by ________ rather than unity.
2. In the chapter titled Structuralism, Saussure used the terms ________ and ________ to signify language as a system or structure on the one hand, and any given utterance in that language on the other.
3. According to the narrator in the Introduction, what two introductions to theory sources deal with the problems of teaching or learning theory?
4. According to the chapter titled Post-Structuralism and Deconstruction, structuralism derives ultimately from ________.
5. According to the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism, structuralism and post-structuralism originated in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a theoretical difference between structuralist and post-structuralist?
2. Why was the representation of women in literature felt to be one of the most important forms of socialization?
3. What did Ferdinand de Saussure say about linguistic structures which the structuralists found so interesting?
4. Briefly explain what post-structuralist critics do.
5. What is the purpose of displacement and condensation?
6. What is structuralism? Where and when did it begin?
7. Explain what Peter Barry means when he informs the reader "that it is much better to read intensely in theory than to read widely".
8. What are the three stages of the deconstructive process? Explain.
9. How does Disneyland fit into the concept of hyperreality according to Baurdrillard?
10. Explain F.D. Maurice's opinions of literature as detailed in the chapter "Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism."
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)