|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ecocriticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is credited with saying that the textuality of history is "an intensified willingness to read all of the textual traces of the past with the attention traditionally conferred only on literary texts"?
2. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
3. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
4. The ancestry of post-colonial criticism can be traced to Frantz Fanon's ________, published in French in 1961, and voicing what might be called "cultural resistance" to France's African empire.
(a) The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) U.S.A. (trilogy).
(c) An American Tragedy.
(d) The Wreched of the Earth.
5. Who argued the fluidity of identity, including sexual identity in their highly influential "Epistemology of the Closet"?
(a) Diana Fuss.
(b) Eve Sedgwick.
(c) Judith Butler.
(d) Rock Meyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best fits the definition of a discipline which has always been inherently confident about the possibility of establishing objective knowledge?
2. What is the term used to describe the study of narrative structures that combines characteristics and is derived from structuralism and linguistic theory?
3. Who wrote the following statement, which is found in the chapter "Postcolonial Criticism": "We cannot easily say that since Mansfield Park is a novel, its affiliations with a particularly sordid history are irrelevant or transcended, not only because it is irresponsible to say that, but because we know too much to say so with bad faith"?
4. In the chapter titled "Lesbian / Gay Criticism," it states that lesbian and gay literary theory emerged prominently as a distinct field only in the ________.
5. What term suggests a range of negative attributes, such as "non-Marxist" and "non-feminist," and "non-theoretical"?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)