|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through New historicism and cultural materialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of Babara Johnson's literary pieces can the following definition of deconstructive reading be found according to author Peter Barry: "Deconstruction is not synonymous with 'destruction.' It is in fact much closer to the original meaning of the word 'analysis,' which etymologically means 'to undo'"?
(a) Trustee from the Toolroom.
(b) The Critical Difference.
(c) The Age of Innocence.
(d) Of Grammatology.
2. According to Peter Barry, the ________ aspect of discourse is characterized not by logic and order, but by "displacement, slippage, condensation."
3. What was another name for the semic code found within the chapter titled Structuralism?
(b) Connotative code.
(c) Tel Quel group.
4. According to Peter Barry, the term "new historicism" was coined by the ________ critic Stephen Greenblattt.
5. Karl Marx is described by Peter Barry as being a German ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Author Peter Barry explains that all of the following are part of the three stages of the deconstructive process except for which one?
2. In the chapter titled "Feminist Criticism," which group did author Peter Barry say maintained a major interest in traditional critical concepts like theme, motif, and characterization?
3. In the Introduction, what university did author Peter Barry say he attended?
4. What is the name given to the movement that dominates the arts and culture of the first half of the twentieth century?
5. The narrator informs the reader that in the early 1980s, two new forms of political/historical criticism emerged, new historicism from ________ and cultural materialism from ________.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)