|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through New historicism and cultural materialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chapter titled Post-Structuralism and Deconstruction, structuralism derives ultimately from ________.
2. ________ is defined as the meanings of words according to Saussure.
3. According to the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism, structuralism and post-structuralism originated in what country?
(b) United States.
4. Who said the following quote found in the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism: "We are told that the study of literature 'cultivates the taste, educates the sympathies and enlarges the mind'"?
(a) Elie Wiesel.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Lewis Carroll.
(d) Edward Freeman.
5. Peter Barry explains that ________'s most significant thinking was contained in the essays "The Function of Criticism at the Present Time" and "The Study of Poetry."
(a) William Shakespeare.
(c) Matthew Arnold.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the term used in the Introduction that is defined as the science of signs?
2. According to the narrator in the chapter "Psychoanalytic Criticism," many of Sigmund Freud's ideas concern aspects of ________.
3. Which of the following best fits the definition of a discipline which has always been inherently confident about the possibility of establishing objective knowledge?
4. ________ is defined as a discipline which has always tended to emphasize the difficulty of achieving secure knowledge about things.
5. According to the narrator in the chapter titled "Feminist Criticism, the "Anglo-American" tradition appeared when?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)