|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through New historicism and cultural materialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The chapter titled "Psychoanalytic Criticism" discusses the use by the unconscious of these linguistic means of self-expression is part of ________'s evidence for the claim that the unconscious is structured like a language.
2. What term suggests a range of negative attributes, such as "non-Marxist" and "non-feminist," and "non-theoretical"?
3. The narrator suggests that liberal humanists believe in ________ as something fixed and constant which great literature expresses.
(c) Horizon of expectation.
(d) Human nature.
4. Lacan argues that the two "dream work" mechanisms identified by Freud correspond to the basic poles of language, identified by the linguist Roman Jakobson, to ________ and ________.
(b) Metaphor / metonymy.
(c) Intention / intentionality.
(d) Paradigm / paradigmatic.
5. Author Peter Barry suggests that the reader uses a useful form of intensive reading known as ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What where the only two universities in England in the nineteenth century?
2. Wordsworth, Coleridge, Keats, and Shelley are authors of what form of writing, according to the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism?
3. According to Peter Barry, the term "new historicism" was coined by the ________ critic Stephen Greenblattt.
4. Peter Barry affirms that Friedrich Engels was a German ________.
5. According to the chapter titled "Marxist Criticism," what was the name of the group that had flourished in the 1920s until disbanded by the Party, even though their work was not strictly Marxist in spirit?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)