|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Postmodernism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what decade did "postmodernism" become current according to the author?
2. Author Peter Barry explains that a major "moment" in the history of postmodernism was the influential paper "Modernity-an Incomplete Project" delivered by the contemporary ________ theorist ________.
(a) Polish / Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
(b) French / Guy de Maupassant.
(c) German / Jurgen Habermas.
(d) English / Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.
3. What does Peter Barry say is the topic of the book Beginning Theory?
(a) English studies.
(b) Literary theory.
(c) Modern theory.
(d) Historical theory.
4. Who does the narrator say was the founder of a method of studying English which is still the norm today?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) I.A. Richards.
(c) Samuel Langhorne Clemens.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
5. Who was appointed Professor at King's College, London in 1840?
(a) Nick Hornby.
(b) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(c) Frank McCourt.
(d) F.D. Maurice.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which of Babara Johnson's literary pieces can the following definition of deconstructive reading be found according to author Peter Barry: "Deconstruction is not synonymous with 'destruction.' It is in fact much closer to the original meaning of the word 'analysis,' which etymologically means 'to undo'"?
2. The narrator reveals that the modern period began with the ________.
3. Who was the major theorist of postmodernism and French writer of the book "Simulations"?
4. What does Peter Barry say was the earliest work of theory written by Aristotle?
5. Who said the following quote found in the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism: "We are told that the study of literature 'cultivates the taste, educates the sympathies and enlarges the mind'"?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)