|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Postmodernism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter Barry say is the topic of the book Beginning Theory?
(a) Historical theory.
(b) Modern theory.
(c) Literary theory.
(d) English studies.
2. Author Peter Barry explains that a major "moment" in the history of postmodernism was the influential paper "Modernity-an Incomplete Project" delivered by the contemporary ________ theorist ________.
(a) Polish / Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
(b) English / Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.
(c) French / Guy de Maupassant.
(d) German / Jurgen Habermas.
3. Who was the first critic to develop a "reader-centered" approach to literature?
(d) Sigmund Freud.
4. According to Peter Barry in the chapter titled Structuralism, the novel "Middlemarch" is an example of a literary ________.
5. I.A. Richards pioneered the technique called ________ which was also the title of his book in 1929.
(a) Sociological Criticism.
(b) Reception Theory.
(c) Practical Criticism.
(d) Allegorical Interpretation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following quote found in the chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism: "We are told that the study of literature 'cultivates the taste, educates the sympathies and enlarges the mind'"?
2. What was the term used in the Introduction that is defined as the science of signs?
3. Author Peter Barry suggests that the reader uses a useful form of intensive reading known as ________.
4. What where the only two universities in England in the nineteenth century?
5. Which modern architect proclaimed that "decoration is a crime" in the chapter titled "Postmodernism"?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)