|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stylistics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the following authors were considered some of the literary "high priests" of the modernist movement according to the narrator in the chapter titled "Postmodernism," except for which one?
(a) John Milton.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
2. Who does Peter Barry claim described the feminist change in the late 1970s as a shift of attention from "andro-texts" to "gyno-texts"?
(a) Katherine Mansfield.
(b) Daisy Bates.
(c) Jane Austen.
(d) Elaine Showalter.
3. Who argued the fluidity of identity, including sexual identity in their highly influential "Epistemology of the Closet"?
(a) Eve Sedgwick.
(b) Judith Butler.
(c) Diana Fuss.
(d) Rock Meyer.
4. A book in which author Peter Barry claimed to properly inaugurate post-colonial criticism was Edward Said's ________, which was a specific expose of the Eurocentric universalism which took for granted both the superiority of that which was European or Western.
5. Who presented I.A. Richard with the manuscript of the book which was published in 1930 with the title Seven Types of Ambiguity?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut.
(b) George Zebrowski.
(c) William Empson.
(d) Wilfred Owen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter Barry explains that ________'s most significant thinking was contained in the essays "The Function of Criticism at the Present Time" and "The Study of Poetry."
2. According to Peter Barry, the term "new historicism" was coined by the ________ critic Stephen Greenblattt.
3. The chapter titled "Psychoanalytic Criticism" discusses the use by the unconscious of these linguistic means of self-expression is part of ________'s evidence for the claim that the unconscious is structured like a language.
4. Who argued in 1905 that literature must become an instrument of the party and that "literature must become Party literature"?
5. According to the narrator, post-colonial critics would discuss the representation of what country in Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)