|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stylistics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Peter Barry, the ________ aspect of discourse is characterized not by logic and order, but by "displacement, slippage, condensation."
2. According to the narrator, post-colonial criticism gained currency through the influence of all the following books except for which one?
(a) Nation and Narration.
(b) In Other Worlds.
(c) The Empire Writes Back.
(d) The Studs Lonigan Trilogy.
3. According to the narrator in the chapter "Psychoanalytic Criticism," many of Sigmund Freud's ideas concern aspects of ________.
4. ________ is defined as a discipline which has always tended to emphasize the difficulty of achieving secure knowledge about things.
5. All of the following religious believers were not allowed to attend university in England in the nineteenth century except which one?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is thecritical approach which uses the methods and findings of the science of linguistics in the analysis of literary texts?
2. The panopticon was a design for a circular prison conceived by the eighteenth-century utilitarian ________.
3. Who was credited as being a key figure in the development of modern approaches to language study in the chapter titled Structuralism?
4. The narrator explains in the Introduction that the emphasis on practice means that this is what form of book?
5. Peter Barry states that ________ is best understood by seeing it initially in the context of its own origins within feminism in the 1980s.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)