|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Post-structuralism and deconstruction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in the Introduction, what two introductions to theory sources deal with the problems of teaching or learning theory?
(a) After Theory and The Critical Decade.
(b) The Use of English and The English Review.
(c) The Oval Portrait and The End of English.
(d) Literary Studies in Action and Texts and Contexts.
2. According to the chapter titled Structuralism, what is another term for "alba," the poetic form dating from the twelfth century in which lovers lament the approach of daybreak?
(a) Dawn song.
(b) Morning love.
(c) Morning glory.
(d) Breaking dawn.
3. From which of Babara Johnson's literary pieces can the following definition of deconstructive reading be found according to author Peter Barry: "Deconstruction is not synonymous with 'destruction.' It is in fact much closer to the original meaning of the word 'analysis,' which etymologically means 'to undo'"?
(a) Trustee from the Toolroom.
(b) The Critical Difference.
(c) The Age of Innocence.
(d) Of Grammatology.
4. Who was the first critic to develop a "reader-centered" approach to literature?
(d) Sigmund Freud.
5. I.A. Richards pioneered the technique called ________ which was also the title of his book in 1929.
(a) Sociological Criticism.
(b) Allegorical Interpretation.
(c) Practical Criticism.
(d) Reception Theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator explains that the first prestigious name in English writing about literature was that of ________, who wrote his "Apology for Poetry" in about 1580.
2. What was the name of the American literature lecturer mentioned in the Introduction who died in January of 1995?
3. Which of the following term best can be defined as one in which we cannot know where we are, since all the concepts which previously defined the center, and hence also the margins, have been "deconstructed," or undermined?
4. ________ is defined as the meanings of words according to Saussure.
5. The crucial essay "The Death of the Author" written in 1968 was the "hinge" around which ________ turned from structuralism to post-structuralism.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)