|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Lesbian/gay criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Author Peter Barry explains that all of the following are part of the three stages of the deconstructive process except for which one?
2. From which of Babara Johnson's literary pieces can the following definition of deconstructive reading be found according to author Peter Barry: "Deconstruction is not synonymous with 'destruction.' It is in fact much closer to the original meaning of the word 'analysis,' which etymologically means 'to undo'"?
(a) The Age of Innocence.
(b) The Critical Difference.
(c) Of Grammatology.
(d) Trustee from the Toolroom.
3. Lesbian theory that broke away from feminism and made new allegiances, in particular, with gay men rather than with other women is called "queer theory" or ________.
(a) Homosexual concepts.
(b) Homosexual education.
(c) Queer studies.
(d) Heterosexual examinations.
4. The chapter "Feminist Criticism" suggests that feminist criticism became much more ________, meaning that it began to draw upon the findings and approaches of other kinds of criticism.
5. Which modern architect proclaimed that "decoration is a crime" in the chapter titled "Postmodernism"?
(a) Adolf Loos.
(b) Samuel Beckett.
(c) Le Corbusier.
(d) Kurt Switters.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter titled Theory Before Theory--Liberal Humanism states that the conventional reading of the origins of the subject of English is that this kind of thinking begins with who?
2. The narrator informs the reader that in the early 1980s, two new forms of political/historical criticism emerged, new historicism from ________ and cultural materialism from ________.
3. Who does the narrator say was the founder of a method of studying English which is still the norm today?
4. Author Peter Barry explains that a major "moment" in the history of postmodernism was the influential paper "Modernity-an Incomplete Project" delivered by the contemporary ________ theorist ________.
5. Barry states in the chapter titled "Feminist Criticism" that the British "socialist feminist" tradition produced its key works in the ________.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)