Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi what is the greatest fear of suffrage opponents in the 1910s?
2. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
3. George Gilder writes that family is the ______________ so males denied this are apt to________________.
4. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
5. According to Faludi, abortion is legal in every state:
Essay Topic 1
In the Epilogue, Faludi makes the statement that men see more clearly than women how women united could change government and society and that the backlash propaganda is a purposeful overreaction precisely because men "got it." What does she mean by this statement? Use three - five issues from the book to show how men "got it" much more than women and how the men mobilized to create a backlash around these issues.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 of the book, Faludi appears to suggest that popular psychology focuses its efforts on convincing women that they must marry. Why is this one of the goals of the backlash? Why is it an effective attack-point against the feminist movement? Why is it a good strategy to use psychology to make this attack?
Essay Topic 3
Working Woman and Good Housekeeping are two women's magazines that have played a role in the fight for women's rights. Summarize the position taken by each magazine in regards to the feminist movement. Summaries should first present the magazine's position across the decades from the 1950s to the present and then deal with the position of the magazine in general. How do you believe their positions have affected the feminist movement?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)