|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi what is the greatest fear of suffrage opponents in the 1910s?
2. According to Faludi, rather than helping women to overcome the problems with misogyny, the book If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single? suggests that women can be happy only if they do all of the following EXCEPT:
3. Women's progress in the military falls after the Carter administration had ushered in a _______________ growth rate.
4. Paul Weyrich is defined by Faludi as all the following EXCEPT:
5. The New Right select which of the following adjectives to describe feminism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
Essay Topic 2
The issue of pay discrepancies is significant in the feminist movement. Why is this an important issue for women to tackle? How does it affect the U.S. economy and have there been significant changes in this practice during the past 50 years? Cite evidence from Faludi's book or from contemporary society to substantiate your positions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)