|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occur following Reagan's second term in office?
2. In the summer following the 1988 election, which women's organization held a conference at which a motion passes to discuss a third political party?
3. In 1980 sex discrimination and other kinds of complaints filed before which agency climbs twenty-five to forty percent?
4. Which book shows Reagan's influence in criticizing the welfare state and pushing volunteerism and individual responsibility?
5. According to Faludi, the 1980s are awash with books about women's special virtues of:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
Essay Topic 2
The fight for the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a long and bitter one according to Faludi's account of the issue. In your own words, summarize the stages of the fight. Discuss the implications this amendment would have had on the nation and its workforce.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the entertainment industry and its executives sway public opinion and how they are in turn swayed by public opinion.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)