|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Faludi cite as the most famous feminist to retract her views?
2. In 1988, at every level, writes Faludi, women candidates above the state legislature are at record low numbers and those who run generally lose. What does Faludi blame for this trend?
3. In 1987 what percent of single women accept bearing and raising children outside wedlock?
4. This author dismisses a young woman's objection about women's role in gathering supplies.
5. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Faludi, why are men like John Willke and Randall Terry engaged in the fight against abortion.
2. Recount the backlash's efforts to eliminate the effectiveness of the Women's Educational Equity Act.
3. Faludi writes that many fundamentalist preachers fear feminism because it threatens their status. Identify and explain the reasons she gives for this fear.
4. When Faludi writes that New Right women are less "trapped in the backlash eddies," what does she mean?
5. Author and radio show host Toni Grant provides advice to help women be happy, overcome the obstacles of feminism, and get married. Highlight how her relationship advice contrasts with her real life relationships.
6. Summarize the Sears, Roebuck, and Co. battle with the EEOC?
7. Describe the ways in which Poet Robert Bly affects the feminist movement.
8. In their advice manuals, Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave, Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan provide advice that is harmful to women. Give some examples of this advice and why it is harmful to women?
9. Briefly chronicle George Gilder's career in the feminist movement.
10. Summarize the case of Angela Carder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
Essay Topic 3
Faludi writes that Murphy Brown and Roseanne are two characters who are attacked by the backlash. Is this an accurate accusation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)