|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occur following Reagan's second term in office?
2. Women's progress in the military falls after the Carter administration had ushered in a _______________ growth rate.
3. Which of the following network replacements is not accurate?
4. In the 1980s, Faludi makes the point that women are marginalized and can ask for childcare and parental leave only if they forego seeking all of the following except:
5. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the case of Angela Carder.
2. Recount the backlash's efforts to eliminate the effectiveness of the Women's Educational Equity Act.
3. Discuss at least two of the implications of the fetal protection movement.
4. Highlight Chapter 13's presentation of the prominent battle between NBC, ABC, and the women who choose to stand up to their policies?
5. Identify two of the books listed in this chapter that focus on women getting married. Explain why the focus of these books is not helpful to women.
6. Why is it an important fight for the women to challenge the use of the word masochism in Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM))?
7. Author and radio show host Toni Grant provides advice to help women be happy, overcome the obstacles of feminism, and get married. Highlight how her relationship advice contrasts with her real life relationships.
8. Highlight the 1980s battle against abortion and women's rights to control their reproductive rights.
9. Discuss the history of the term masochism and how it has been used to label women. Explain how the American Psychiatric Association considers adding this term to its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1985.
10. The media is highlighted as a field in which women see some of the worst progress. What evidence does Faludi use to support her claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12 of the book, Faludi appears to suggest that popular psychology focuses its efforts on convincing women that they must marry. Why is this one of the goals of the backlash? Why is it an effective attack-point against the feminist movement? Why is it a good strategy to use psychology to make this attack?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the gender disparity in the women's clothing industry. Why are men the majority of the well-known designers? In addition, why are women less likely to be in this field?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,050 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)