|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occur following Reagan's second term in office?
2. In the 1980 presidential election, the only clear differentiation from the Democrats comes when the Republicans do what according to Faludi?
3. What percentage of younger women feel more akin to NOW than to either political party?
4. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
5. In 1980 sex discrimination and other kinds of complaints filed before which agency climbs twenty-five to forty percent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it an important fight for the women to challenge the use of the word masochism in Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM))?
2. Michael Levin and his wife Margarita Levin are highlighted as examples of a couple who espouse anti-feminist views while benefiting from feminist thoughts and perspectives. In what ways does Faludi believe this is seen in their lives?
3. Recount the backlash's efforts to eliminate the effectiveness of the Women's Educational Equity Act.
4. Discuss the history of the term masochism and how it has been used to label women. Explain how the American Psychiatric Association considers adding this term to its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1985.
5. Briefly chronicle George Gilder's career in the feminist movement.
6. The media is highlighted as a field in which women see some of the worst progress. What evidence does Faludi use to support her claim?
7. Summarize the case of Angela Carder.
8. In their advice manuals, Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave, Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan provide advice that is harmful to women. Give some examples of this advice and why it is harmful to women?
9. Author and radio show host Toni Grant provides advice to help women be happy, overcome the obstacles of feminism, and get married. Highlight how her relationship advice contrasts with her real life relationships.
10. In Chapter 11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems," an author states that male academics in an era of "political correctness" are like "shell-shocked" Cambodian refugees. In addition, feminists change departments and courses, and hire only their own. Faludi, however, suggests that the data show a different reality for women in academia. List three to five of her arguments.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and explain the major differences between the way Jockey approaches women's intimate apparel in 1982 compared to its competitors Victoria Secret and Maidenform.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the careers of Margarita Levin, Sylvia Ann Hewlett, and Betty Friedan.
This section contains 2,205 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)