|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi what is the greatest fear of suffrage opponents in the 1910s?
2. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
3. George Gilder writes that family is the ______________ so males denied this are apt to________________.
4. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
5. According to Faludi, abortion is legal in every state:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2 of the book, "The Backlash in Popular Culture," Faludi provides an account of how the backlash uses trends within Ivy League graduates. Summarize this account in one to two paragraphs? Discuss the implications of using trends from female graduates from Ivy League universities versus other types of institutions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)