|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
2. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
3. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
4. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
5. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
Short Essay Questions
1. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
2. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
3. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
4. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
5. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
6. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
7. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
8. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
9. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
10. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three to four ways in which the feminist movement can be used to improve the circumstances of women, men, and families in our society.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 of the book, Faludi appears to suggest that popular psychology focuses its efforts on convincing women that they must marry. Why is this one of the goals of the backlash? Why is it an effective attack-point against the feminist movement? Why is it a good strategy to use psychology to make this attack?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)