|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
2. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
3. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
4. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
5. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
2. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
3. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
4. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
5. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
6. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
7. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
8. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
9. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
10. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
Essay Topic 3
In the Epilogue, Faludi makes the statement that men see more clearly than women how women united could change government and society and that the backlash propaganda is a purposeful overreaction precisely because men "got it." What does she mean by this statement? Use three - five issues from the book to show how men "got it" much more than women and how the men mobilized to create a backlash around these issues.
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)