|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
2. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
3. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
4. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
5. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
2. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
3. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
4. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
5. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
6. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
7. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
8. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
9. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
10. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the careers of Margarita Levin, Sylvia Ann Hewlett, and Betty Friedan.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
According to Faludi, daycare centers became a point of attack for backlash advocates. Discuss why this was an important issue in the fight against the feminist movement. How is this issue handled in today's society? Put yourself in the shoes of a working mother; how do you feel about choosing to place your child(ren) in a daycare setting and why do you feel this way?
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)