|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
3. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
4. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
5. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
2. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
3. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
4. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
5. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
6. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
7. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
8. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
9. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
10. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
According to Faludi, daycare centers became a point of attack for backlash advocates. Discuss why this was an important issue in the fight against the feminist movement. How is this issue handled in today's society? Put yourself in the shoes of a working mother; how do you feel about choosing to place your child(ren) in a daycare setting and why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
This section contains 1,874 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)