|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
2. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
3. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
4. Faludi asserts that equal attention is given to _______ family size in whites and ________ family size among blacks.
5. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
2. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
3. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
4. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
5. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
6. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
7. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
8. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
9. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
10. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
Essay Topic 2
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the trend of "fetal protection" and why it is practiced by such a wide cross section of companies, doctors, lawyers, and court systems. Does it have implications for men and non-child-bearing women? If so, how? What are the implications of this trend on society as a whole?
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)