|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
2. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
3. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
4. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
5. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
Short Essay Questions
1. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
2. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
3. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
4. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
5. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
6. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
7. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
8. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
9. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
10. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the entertainment industry and its executives sway public opinion and how they are in turn swayed by public opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In the Epilogue, Faludi makes the statement that men see more clearly than women how women united could change government and society and that the backlash propaganda is a purposeful overreaction precisely because men "got it." What does she mean by this statement? Use three - five issues from the book to show how men "got it" much more than women and how the men mobilized to create a backlash around these issues.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the trend of "fetal protection" and why it is practiced by such a wide cross section of companies, doctors, lawyers, and court systems. Does it have implications for men and non-child-bearing women? If so, how? What are the implications of this trend on society as a whole?
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)