|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
2. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
3. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
4. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
5. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
2. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
3. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
4. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
5. Contrast the media's transition from applauding "brave" relationship choices in the 1970s to the position the media outlets took to address this issue in the 1980s.
6. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
7. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
8. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
9. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
10. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
The fight for the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a long and bitter one according to Faludi's account of the issue. In your own words, summarize the stages of the fight. Discuss the implications this amendment would have had on the nation and its workforce.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of pay discrepancies is significant in the feminist movement. Why is this an important issue for women to tackle? How does it affect the U.S. economy and have there been significant changes in this practice during the past 50 years? Cite evidence from Faludi's book or from contemporary society to substantiate your positions.
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)