|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
2. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
3. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
4. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
5. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
Short Essay Questions
1. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
2. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
3. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
4. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
5. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
6. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
7. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
8. Discuss how the backlash uses the technique of divide and conquer. Analyze how each of the following pairs of women can be pitted against each other: single versus married, working versus homemakers, and affluent versus working poor.
9. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
10. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three to four ways in which the feminist movement can be used to improve the circumstances of women, men, and families in our society.
Essay Topic 2
In the Epilogue, Faludi makes the statement that men see more clearly than women how women united could change government and society and that the backlash propaganda is a purposeful overreaction precisely because men "got it." What does she mean by this statement? Use three - five issues from the book to show how men "got it" much more than women and how the men mobilized to create a backlash around these issues.
Essay Topic 3
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)