|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Backlash, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
2. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
3. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
4. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
5. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
2. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
3. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
4. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
5. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
6. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
7. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
8. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
9. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
10. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the gender disparity in the women's clothing industry. Why are men the majority of the well-known designers? In addition, why are women less likely to be in this field?
Essay Topic 2
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2 of the book, "The Backlash in Popular Culture," Faludi provides an account of how the backlash uses trends within Ivy League graduates. Summarize this account in one to two paragraphs? Discuss the implications of using trends from female graduates from Ivy League universities versus other types of institutions.
This section contains 1,864 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)