|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
2. Faludi asserts that equal attention is given to _______ family size in whites and ________ family size among blacks.
3. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
4. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
5. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
Short Essay Questions
1. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
2. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
3. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
4. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
5. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
6. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
7. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
8. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
9. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
10. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze chapter11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems" in which Faludi claims that authors both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s. In your analysis highlight the work of four of these authors.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the trend of "fetal protection" and why it is practiced by such a wide cross section of companies, doctors, lawyers, and court systems. Does it have implications for men and non-child-bearing women? If so, how? What are the implications of this trend on society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
The issue of pay discrepancies is significant in the feminist movement. Why is this an important issue for women to tackle? How does it affect the U.S. economy and have there been significant changes in this practice during the past 50 years? Cite evidence from Faludi's book or from contemporary society to substantiate your positions.
This section contains 1,823 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)