|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
2. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
3. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
4. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
5. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
2. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
3. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
4. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
5. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
6. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
7. Discuss how the backlash uses the technique of divide and conquer. Analyze how each of the following pairs of women can be pitted against each other: single versus married, working versus homemakers, and affluent versus working poor.
8. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
9. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
10. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faludi writes that Murphy Brown and Roseanne are two characters who are attacked by the backlash. Is this an accurate accusation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Working Woman and Good Housekeeping are two women's magazines that have played a role in the fight for women's rights. Summarize the position taken by each magazine in regards to the feminist movement. Summaries should first present the magazine's position across the decades from the 1950s to the present and then deal with the position of the magazine in general. How do you believe their positions have affected the feminist movement?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and explain the major differences between the way Jockey approaches women's intimate apparel in 1982 compared to its competitors Victoria Secret and Maidenform.
This section contains 1,907 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)