|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Newsweek uses the metaphor that women are "______ ________ to be killed by a terrorist" than to _________.
2. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
3. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
4. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
5. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
2. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
3. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
4. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
5. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
6. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
7. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
8. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
9. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
10. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, Faludi highlights research studies and books that use flawed data collection, methods of analysis, or interpretations. Three of such studies were the Harvard-Yale marriage study, the work of Dr. Srully Blotnick, and Lenore Weitzman's 1985 book, The Divorce Revolution. Describe the role each of these works played in subverting the fight for women's rights. Highlight two or three examples from each of the three publications.
Essay Topic 3
The feminist movement in America is commonly cited as being strongest in the 1960s and 1970s. Do you agree with this assertion? Why or Why not? How do you believe the movement has affected our society? How are we different and similar to other cultures that have not had similar movements? What do you see as the biggest benefit provided to our society due to the feminist movement? What is the biggest harm inflicted on our society due to this movement?
This section contains 1,892 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)