|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
3. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
4. Backlash is written in which decade?
5. Retin-A is approved by the FDA to treat _____________ and is eventually marketed to treat ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
2. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
3. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
4. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
5. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
6. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
7. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
8. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
9. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
10. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The feminist movement in America is commonly cited as being strongest in the 1960s and 1970s. Do you agree with this assertion? Why or Why not? How do you believe the movement has affected our society? How are we different and similar to other cultures that have not had similar movements? What do you see as the biggest benefit provided to our society due to the feminist movement? What is the biggest harm inflicted on our society due to this movement?
Essay Topic 2
Working Woman and Good Housekeeping are two women's magazines that have played a role in the fight for women's rights. Summarize the position taken by each magazine in regards to the feminist movement. Summaries should first present the magazine's position across the decades from the 1950s to the present and then deal with the position of the magazine in general. How do you believe their positions have affected the feminist movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the gender disparity in the women's clothing industry. Why are men the majority of the well-known designers? In addition, why are women less likely to be in this field?
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)