|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
2. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
3. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
4. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
5. Which female executive is quoted as saying she hopes companies can treat "career-and-family women" more leniently than "career-primary" women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
2. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
3. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
4. Discuss how the backlash uses the technique of divide and conquer. Analyze how each of the following pairs of women can be pitted against each other: single versus married, working versus homemakers, and affluent versus working poor.
5. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
6. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
7. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
8. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
9. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
10. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of pay discrepancies is significant in the feminist movement. Why is this an important issue for women to tackle? How does it affect the U.S. economy and have there been significant changes in this practice during the past 50 years? Cite evidence from Faludi's book or from contemporary society to substantiate your positions.
Essay Topic 2
The movie Fatal Attraction is used in Chapter 5 to highlight how the backlash is served by Hollywood. Analyze five points made by Faludi to support her perspective and discuss why they are valid or invalid.
Essay Topic 3
The feminist movement in America is commonly cited as being strongest in the 1960s and 1970s. Do you agree with this assertion? Why or Why not? How do you believe the movement has affected our society? How are we different and similar to other cultures that have not had similar movements? What do you see as the biggest benefit provided to our society due to the feminist movement? What is the biggest harm inflicted on our society due to this movement?
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)