|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
2. Which of the following women is cited in the book as being consistently shut out of the Emmys, disapproved of in public by George Bush, and having a nationwide club formed just to hate and revile her?
3. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
4. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
5. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
2. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
3. Contrast the media's transition from applauding "brave" relationship choices in the 1970s to the position the media outlets took to address this issue in the 1980s.
4. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
5. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
6. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
7. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
8. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
9. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
10. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify three to four ways in which the feminist movement can be used to improve the circumstances of women, men, and families in our society.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and explain the major differences between the way Jockey approaches women's intimate apparel in 1982 compared to its competitors Victoria Secret and Maidenform.
Essay Topic 3
The fight for the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) was a long and bitter one according to Faludi's account of the issue. In your own words, summarize the stages of the fight. Discuss the implications this amendment would have had on the nation and its workforce.
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)