|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
2. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
4. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
5. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
2. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
3. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
4. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
5. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
6. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
7. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
8. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
9. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
10. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Identify three to four ways in which the feminist movement can be used to improve the circumstances of women, men, and families in our society.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2 of the book, "The Backlash in Popular Culture," Faludi provides an account of how the backlash uses trends within Ivy League graduates. Summarize this account in one to two paragraphs? Discuss the implications of using trends from female graduates from Ivy League universities versus other types of institutions.
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)