|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
2. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
3. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
4. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
5. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
2. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
3. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
4. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
5. Contrast the media's transition from applauding "brave" relationship choices in the 1970s to the position the media outlets took to address this issue in the 1980s.
6. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
7. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
8. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
9. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
10. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 of the book, Faludi appears to suggest that popular psychology focuses its efforts on convincing women that they must marry. Why is this one of the goals of the backlash? Why is it an effective attack-point against the feminist movement? Why is it a good strategy to use psychology to make this attack?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)