|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1 of <i>Backlash</i>, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
2. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
3. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
4. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
5. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. The press touts a shrinking pay gap and decreasing discrimination for women in white-collar positions. According to Faludi, however, this is not the case. Explain the evidence Faludi presents to refute the presses claims.
2. What is the outcome for women who choose not to make forward progress?
3. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
4. Highlight the 1980s battle against abortion and women's rights to control their reproductive rights.
5. Highlight Chapter 13's presentation of the prominent battle between NBC, ABC, and the women who choose to stand up to their policies?
6. Provide a chronological discussion of how women and feminists battle against the American Psychiatric Association as it considers adding the term masochism to its <i>Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)</i> in 1985.
7. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
8. Why is it an important fight for the women to challenge the use of the word masochism in <i>Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)</i>)?
9. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
10. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
Essay Topic 1
Faludi writes that Murphy Brown and Roseanne are two characters who are attacked by the backlash. Is this an accurate accusation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12 of the book, Faludi appears to suggest that popular psychology focuses its efforts on convincing women that they must marry. Why is this one of the goals of the backlash? Why is it an effective attack-point against the feminist movement? Why is it a good strategy to use psychology to make this attack?
Essay Topic 3
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
This section contains 2,792 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)