Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1 of <i>Backlash</i>, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
2. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
3. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
4. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
5. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
Short Essay Questions
1. The media is highlighted as a field in which women see some of the worst progress. What evidence does Faludi use to support her claim?
2. Summarize the Sears, Roebuck, and Co. battle with the EEOC?
3. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
4. Michael Levin and his wife Margarita Levin are highlighted as examples of a couple who espouse anti-feminist views while benefiting from feminist thoughts and perspectives. In what ways does Faludi believe this is seen in their lives?
5. Compare and contrast the ways women react after the backlash of the 1980s.
6. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
7. In their advice manuals, <i>Smart Women/Foolish Choices</i> and <i>Women Men Love/Women Men Leave</i>, Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan provide advice that is harmful to women. Give some examples of this advice and why it is harmful to women?
8. What is the outcome for women who choose not to make forward progress?
9. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
10. Chronicle the evolution of <i>Ms.</i> magazine in the 1980s.
Faludi writes that Murphy Brown and Roseanne are two characters who are attacked by the backlash. Is this an accurate accusation? Why or why not?
Explain how the entertainment industry and its executives sway public opinion and how they are in turn swayed by public opinion.
According to Faludi, daycare centers became a point of attack for backlash advocates. Discuss why this was an important issue in the fight against the feminist movement. How is this issue handled in today's society? Put yourself in the shoes of a working mother; how do you feel about choosing to place your child(ren) in a daycare setting and why do you feel this way?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)