|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
2. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
3. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
4. In 1988, Robert Filoso defines the "New Generation" of female beauty with mannequins that are:
5. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
2. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
3. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
4. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
5. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
6. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
7. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
8. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
9. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
10. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to survey responses, women believe they need the right to abortions, maternity leave, and decent childcare. Explain how these three needs are both in harmony and in conflict with one another. How will having access to these choices affect women, their families, and society as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2 of the book, "The Backlash in Popular Culture," Faludi provides an account of how the backlash uses trends within Ivy League graduates. Summarize this account in one to two paragraphs? Discuss the implications of using trends from female graduates from Ivy League universities versus other types of institutions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)