|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fatal and Fetal Visions deals with how the_________ serve the backlash.
2. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
3. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
4. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
5. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
2. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
3. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
4. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
5. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
6. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
7. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
8. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
9. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
10. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her book, Faludi presents backlash supporters who bash the feminist movement while enjoying its benefits. She seems to make the issue black or white asserting that if a person does not support the movement entirely, then he/she is a hypocrite for taking actions that could be supported by feminists. Is this an appropriate position for Faludi to take? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the trend of "fetal protection" and why it is practiced by such a wide cross section of companies, doctors, lawyers, and court systems. Does it have implications for men and non-child-bearing women? If so, how? What are the implications of this trend on society as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the gender disparity in the women's clothing industry. Why are men the majority of the well-known designers? In addition, why are women less likely to be in this field?
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)