|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi asserts that the 1980s and early 90s legal attacks against pregnant mothers could not be motivated by a desire to protect fetuses because at the same time which of the following policies was in place?
(a) It is the lack of insurance and treatments, not drug addictions, that results in the widening gap between black and white fetal mortality rates.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Doctors refuse treatment to mothers who are poor or are on Medicare.
(d) While mothers are prosecuted for refusing doctor's orders, poor mothers are not provided with the services they need to protect the health of their children.
2. The federal "reductions in force" hit women over which level twice as badly as men?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) G.S. 5.
(c) G.S. 9.
(d) G.S. 11.
3. The Price's use all of the following accommodations to a feminist lifestyle except which of the following?
(a) Susan puts Stephen through graduate school.
(b) Susan does not want to be a homemaker, over Stephen's objections.
(c) They use babysitters and nursery schools and Susan is content.
(d) Susan does not complete her professional studies to become a therapist.
4. Select the woman who becomes a popular Christian speaker and broadcaster, and in 1978 publishes The Spirit-Controlled Woman, calling on fundamentalist women to overcome passivity and develop a public voice--all by and for Jesus.
(a) Beverly LaHaye.
(b) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(c) Faith Whittlesey.
(d) Phyllis Schlafly.
5. In 1987 what percent of single women accept bearing and raising children outside wedlock?
(a) 29 percent.
(b) 55 percent.
(c) 90 percent.
(d) 87 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following two individuals does Faludi highlight as being unmarried while preaching that women should marry?
2. Child abuse laws are extended to the fetus and "fetal neglect" bills flood legislatures as a result of which strategy?
3. Women Who Love Too Much: When You Keep Wishing and Hoping He'll Change is written by which of the following authors?
4. The book backlash claims that which of the following is true?
5. Which author uses fairy tales to generalize about men and women without offending anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chronicle the life of Connaught ("Connie") Marshner after she leaves college.
2. The feminist movement gained support and momentum in 1984 when Representative Geraldine Ferraro was nominated for vice-president on the Democratic ticket. Four years later, however, female candidates running for office are at record lows and they do not win most of the races for which they run. What is the explanation for this vast shift over a four-year period?
3. Highlight Chapter 13's presentation of the prominent battle between NBC, ABC, and the women who choose to stand up to their policies?
4. Recount the backlash's efforts to eliminate the effectiveness of the Women's Educational Equity Act.
5. Summarize the Sears, Roebuck, and Co. battle with the EEOC?
6. Michael Levin and his wife Margarita Levin are highlighted as examples of a couple who espouse anti-feminist views while benefiting from feminist thoughts and perspectives. In what ways does Faludi believe this is seen in their lives?
7. Author and radio show host Toni Grant provides advice to help women be happy, overcome the obstacles of feminism, and get married. Highlight how her relationship advice contrasts with her real life relationships.
8. Faludi writes that many fundamentalist preachers fear feminism because it threatens their status. Identify and explain the reasons she gives for this fear.
9. In her tone and word use, Faludi defends Carol Gilligan as an unlucky researcher whose work is misused to support the backlash. Give three examples of where Faludi's tone or word use convey this message.
10. How does Sylvia Ann Hewlett attack and affect the ERA?
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)