|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The federal "reductions in force" hit women over which level twice as badly as men?
(a) G.S. 5.
(b) G.S. 11.
(c) G.S. 9.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. Which of the following occur in the case of Angela Carder ("A.C"), age twenty-eight, a bone cancer victim who conceives in 1984 while in remission?
(a) Her long-time oncologist recommends aggressive treatment, but doctors and lawyers at the hospital worry about endangering the fetus and liability.
(b) After consulting her family, the hospital calls on Judge Emmet Sullivan to decide.
(c) The ACLU cites the Supreme Court precedent for putting giving equal weight to the mother's and fetus' health.
(d) No answers are correct.
3. The antiabortion message is championed by which of the following teams?
(a) New York Rangers.
(b) The New York Knicks.
(c) New York Yankees.
(d) The New York Giants.
4. Who was the author of the book, Closed: 99 Ways to Stop Abortion?
(a) Joseph Scheidler.
(b) Randall Terry.
(c) John Willke.
(d) Emmet Sullivan.
5. George Gilder writes that family is the ______________ so males denied this are apt to________________.
(a) Acid test of manhood, devolve into brutes.
(b) Greatest gift to men and women, resent the women who will not marry.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Death of the American male, enjoy greater freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. This author dismisses a young woman's objection about women's role in gathering supplies.
2. Beverly LaHaye founds Concerned Women for America (CWA); her husband Tim LaHaye is co-founder of which organization?
3. Which of the following women is a Harvard-educated lawyer and author of nine books who twice runs for Congress?
4. Sylvia Ann Hewlett worked at which university?
5. In the 1980s, Faludi makes the point that women are marginalized and can ask for childcare and parental leave only if they forego seeking all of the following except:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sylvia Ann Hewlett attack and affect the ERA?
2. In her tone and word use, Faludi defends Carol Gilligan as an unlucky researcher whose work is misused to support the backlash. Give three examples of where Faludi's tone or word use convey this message.
3. In their advice manuals, Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave, Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan provide advice that is harmful to women. Give some examples of this advice and why it is harmful to women?
4. Michael Levin and his wife Margarita Levin are highlighted as examples of a couple who espouse anti-feminist views while benefiting from feminist thoughts and perspectives. In what ways does Faludi believe this is seen in their lives?
5. According to Faludi, why are men like John Willke and Randall Terry engaged in the fight against abortion.
6. Discuss at least two of the implications of the fetal protection movement.
7. The media is highlighted as a field in which women see some of the worst progress. What evidence does Faludi use to support her claim?
8. The press touts a shrinking pay gap and decreasing discrimination for women in white-collar positions. According to Faludi, however, this is not the case. Explain the evidence Faludi presents to refute the presses claims.
9. Chronicle the life of Connaught ("Connie") Marshner after she leaves college.
10. Provide a chronological discussion of how women and feminists battle against the American Psychiatric Association as it considers adding the term masochism to its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1985.
This section contains 2,156 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)