|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Retin-A is approved by the FDA to treat _____________ and is eventually marketed to treat ________.
(a) Wrinkles, wrinkles.
(b) Wrinkles, acne.
(c) Acne, acne.
(d) Acne, wrinkles.
2. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Families in other industrialized nations.
(c) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
(d) Their married, child-bearing peers.
3. When women boo <i>Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York</i>, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
(c) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(d) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
4. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(b) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(c) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
(d) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
5. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
(a) <i>After Divorce</i>.
(b) <i>The Little Ones</i>.
(c) <i>Second Chance</i>.
(d) <i>Parents Choices</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to <i>Backlash</i>, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
2. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
3. According to <i>Backlash</i>, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
4. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
5. What is the complete title of the book, <i>Backlash</i>?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
2. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
3. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
4. Provide a chronological discussion of how women and feminists battle against the American Psychiatric Association as it considers adding the term masochism to its <i>Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)</i> in 1985.
5. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
6. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
7. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel <i>The Women's Room</i> on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
8. Faludi writes that many fundamentalist preachers fear feminism because it threatens their status. Identify and explain the reasons she gives for this fear.
9. What is the outcome for women who choose not to make forward progress?
10. In their advice manuals, <i>Smart Women/Foolish Choices</i> and <i>Women Men Love/Women Men Leave</i>, Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan provide advice that is harmful to women. Give some examples of this advice and why it is harmful to women?
This section contains 1,946 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)