|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
(a) The way in which cosmetics and diet fads are used to subjugate women.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) The strategies used by cosmetic companies to convince women they must wear makeup to appeal to men and look professional in the workplace.
(d) How the cosmetics industry and plastic surgery complete the "cultural undertow" of the 1980s backlash.
2. Newsweek uses the metaphor that women are "______ ________ to be killed by a terrorist" than to _________.
(a) Less likely, marry.
(b) Less likely, divorce.
(c) More likely, marry.
(d) More likely, divorce.
3. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(b) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(c) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
(d) University researchers.
4. Retin-A is approved by the FDA to treat _____________ and is eventually marketed to treat ________.
(a) Acne, acne.
(b) Acne, wrinkles.
(c) Wrinkles, wrinkles.
(d) Wrinkles, acne.
5. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(b) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
2. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
3. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
4. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
5. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
2. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
3. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
4. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
5. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
6. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
7. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
8. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
9. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
10. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)