|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
(a) Crossing Delancey.
(b) Baby Boom.
(c) Broadcast News.
(d) Fatal Attraction.
2. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
(b) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(c) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(d) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
3. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
(a) Patricia Craig.
(b) Dr. Srully Blotnick.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Shere Hite.
4. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(c) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
(d) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
5. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
(a) The Force of Divorce.
(b) The Divorce Revolution.
(c) When Divorce Happens.
(d) The Divorce Generation.
Short Answer Questions
1. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
2. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
3. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
4. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
5. Which female executive is quoted as saying she hopes companies can treat "career-and-family women" more leniently than "career-primary" women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
2. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
3. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
4. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
5. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
6. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
7. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
8. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
9. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
10. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
This section contains 1,877 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)