|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
(c) Their married, child-bearing peers.
(d) Families in other industrialized nations.
2. According to Backlash, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
(a) Grassroots movements of husbands and fathers.
(b) Research on children's opinions.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Popular culture.
3. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
(a) 0.2 percent.
(b) 2.0 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 2.2 percent.
4. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(b) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(c) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(d) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
5. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(b) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(c) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(d) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
2. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
3. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
4. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
5. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
Short Essay Questions
1. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
2. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
3. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
4. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
5. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
6. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
7. Murphy Brown and Roseanne were two characters who were reviled by the backlash according to Faludi. Why were these women disliked so strongly? Also discuss the ways in which the backlash launches their attack of Murphy and Roseanne.
8. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
9. Discuss three instances in which Faludi uses personification in her description of the backlash.
10. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)