|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
(a) Calvin Klein.
(b) John Weitz.
(c) Christian Dior.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
2. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(b) University researchers.
(c) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(d) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
3. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
(b) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
(c) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
(d) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
4. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Return to capitalist traditions.
(b) Break women's political will.
(c) Destroy the family bond.
(d) Encourage women to band together.
5. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
(a) White, herpes.
(b) Black, chlamydia.
(c) White, HPV.
(d) Black, gonorrhea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
2. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
4. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
5. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
2. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
3. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
4. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
5. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
6. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
7. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
8. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
9. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
10. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
This section contains 1,940 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)