|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Single versus married.
(b) Working versus homemakers.
(c) Young versus old.
(d) Affluent versus working poor.
2. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
(a) The Little Ones.
(b) After Divorce.
(c) Parents Choices.
(d) Second Chance.
3. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
(b) Financial competition between husbands and wives.
(c) The high divorce rates.
(d) The surge in infertility.
4. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) Christian Dior.
(b) John Weitz.
(c) Christian Lacroix.
(d) Calvin Klein.
5. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
(a) Diane Doe.
(b) Elia Kazan.
(c) Cecelia Gouge.
(d) Patsy Howell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
2. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
4. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
5. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
Short Essay Questions
1. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
2. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
3. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
4. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
5. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
6. Discuss the implications of the misinformation perpetuated by the Harvard study.
7. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
8. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
9. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
10. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)