|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
(a) Demote the police academy-trained detectives.
(b) Make the detectives dropouts from the police academy.
(c) Add more bikinis.
(d) Make the detectives incompetent unemployed actresses.
2. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(b) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
3. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) University researchers.
(b) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(c) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(d) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
4. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
(a) The Divorce Generation.
(b) The Force of Divorce.
(c) The Divorce Revolution.
(d) When Divorce Happens.
5. In 1988, Robert Filoso defines the "New Generation" of female beauty with mannequins that are:
(a) Taller, more slender, and poutier.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Flawless, slender, and shorter.
(d) Flawless, shorter, bustier, and wasp-waisted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
2. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
3. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
4. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
5. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
2. The cosmetics industry has a long history of dictating difficult and unhealthy trends for women's bodies. Discuss what physical looks and trends are pushed from the Victorian era through 1970 according to Faludi.
3. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
4. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
5. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
6. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
7. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
8. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
9. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
10. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)