|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
(d) School teachers.
2. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Time magazine research.
(c) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(d) Census Bureau data.
3. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(b) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(c) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
(d) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
4. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
5. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
(b) Dr. John Voorhees.
(c) Dr. Robert Harvey.
(d) Dr. Jack Statz.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
2. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
3. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
4. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
5. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
2. Explain why the media would not focus on feminist issues such as jobs, equal pay, or coeducation but would instead give heavy coverage to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
3. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
4. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
5. Who is Dr. Robert Harvey and why is he discussed in the chapter on the cosmetic industry?
6. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
7. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
8. What is the purpose of the book Backlash: The Undeclared War against American Women?
9. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
10. Recount the stages of the "Intimate Apparel Explosion" as written by Faludi. In your account, include the names of at least four individuals and/or companies
This section contains 1,792 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)