|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) Families in other industrialized nations.
(b) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Their married, child-bearing peers.
2. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(b) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(c) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
(d) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
3. Which of the following terms was coined as a part of the backlash?
(a) Biological clock.
(b) Husband shortage.
(c) Feminism movement.
(d) Mommy syndrome.
4. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(b) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(c) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(d) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
5. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
(a) Unhappy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(b) Happy single womanhood, women marrying on their own terms, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(c) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women forcing husbands into counseling to save unhappy marriages.
(d) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
2. How does the Faludi describe the media's treatment of protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras?
3. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
4. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
5. Which of the following women is cited in the book as being consistently shut out of the Emmys, disapproved of in public by George Bush, and having a nationwide club formed just to hate and revile her?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
2. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
3. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
4. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
5. What are the implications of the findings that a divorce may not have as lasting a financial impact on women and that men are more likely to suffer greater psychological impact than women following a divorce?
6. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
7. In chapter 7 of the book, why does Faludi write that retailers use the word "choice" to make their sales pitches "sound feminist"?
8. Select at least three media outlets and discuss how they work with the backlash to use relationship "scare tactics" to fight against the feminist movement.
9. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
10. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)