|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Time magazine research.
(b) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Census Bureau data.
2. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
(a) When Divorce Happens.
(b) The Divorce Revolution.
(c) The Force of Divorce.
(d) The Divorce Generation.
3. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
(b) Higher incidents of birth defects.
(c) Higher miscarriage rates.
(d) Greater abortion rates.
4. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
(b) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
(d) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
5. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
(c) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(d) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Backlash is written in which decade?
2. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
3. Victoria Secret was intended to be the:
4. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
5. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chronicle the evolution of Ms. magazine in the 1980s.
2. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
3. The New Right attempts to denounce day care; however, what does the evidence and data suggest?
4. Briefly explain the series of events that occur after the New York Times announces a "back-to-the-home trend" in 1980 based on six Ivy League undergraduates.
5. Faludi writes that getting ABC to put Marilyn French's best-selling novel The Women's Room on screen is Esther Shapiro's "most grueling" professional experience. What are some of the factors that make this project so difficult?
6. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
7. In the book, Faludi highlights the following three shows: All in the Family, Maude, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Explain what point Faludi makes by highlighting these three shows.
8. On the issue of women's liberation and equality, compare the perspective of politicians, journalists, and business leaders versus those of women.
9. According to survey responses, women believe they need equal pay, the right to abortions, and decent childcare. Discuss how reforms in those areas would impact women's lives.
10. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
This section contains 1,811 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)