|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Christian Dior.
(c) Calvin Klein.
(d) John Weitz.
2. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(b) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
(c) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(d) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
3. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
4. Fatal and Fetal Visions deals with how the_________ serve the backlash.
5. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
2. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
3. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
4. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
5. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
Short Essay Questions
1. During the 1988 television season, many female characters joke about being like June Cleaver. What point are they making by claiming this analogy?
2. The CBS hit show Cagney and Lacey deals with the serious issue of the unmarried character, Cagney, becoming pregnant. Summarize Faludi's perspective on the manner in which this issue is resolved?
3. Identify three reasons why a periodical such as The New England Journal of Medicine would publish flawed data concerning fertility rates of young women.
4. In a survey of men, it was found that only a small percentage truly supported equality for women. Identify two reasons why men would support equality for women and two reasons why they would not support this initiative.
5. In your opinion, why do you believe that society markets marriage and children to women much more than to men?
6. Several doctors are discussed in Chapter 8 of the book. Faludi writes about the ways in which they help the backlash and use their credentials to sponsor cosmetic products. Name at least one of these doctors and describe his or her role in the backlash by the cosmetics industry.
7. Summarize three ways in which Felice Schwartz affects the feminist movement.
8. Discuss the way in which the movies and television treat the subject of women and careers.
9. After Reagan is elected president, many changes occur in the political arena that affect the feminist movement. Discuss three of these changes and how they affect the fight for women's rights.
10. What role does Women's Wear Daily play between the fashion industry and the feminist movement?
This section contains 1,695 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)