|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faludi what is the greatest fear of suffrage opponents in the 1910s?
(a) Smaller household sizes among the middle class.
(b) The creation of a "feminist party."
(c) Political indifference by women.
(d) The decline of morality in society.
2. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Financial ruin.
3. George Gilder writes that family is the ______________ so males denied this are apt to________________.
(a) Acid test of manhood, devolve into brutes.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Greatest gift to men and women, resent the women who will not marry.
(d) Death of the American male, enjoy greater freedom.
4. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
(a) <i>Wealth and Poverty.</i>
(b) <i>Ripon Forum.</i>
(c) <i>The Closing of the American Mind.</i>
(d) <i>Feminism and Freedom.</i>
5. According to Faludi, abortion is legal in every state:
(a) Until women's rights becomes an issue in the mid nineteenth century.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Since colonial times.
(d) And is supported by a majority of women.
6. Which book shows Reagan's influence in criticizing the welfare state and pushing volunteerism and individual responsibility?
(a) The Second Stage.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) In a Different Voice.
(d) The Feminine Mystique.
7. Faludi asserts that the 1980s and early 90s legal attacks against pregnant mothers could not be motivated by a desire to protect fetuses because at the same time which of the following policies was in place?
(a) While mothers are prosecuted for refusing doctor's orders, poor mothers are not provided with the services they need to protect the health of their children.
(b) It is the lack of insurance and treatments, not drug addictions, that results in the widening gap between black and white fetal mortality rates.
(c) Doctors refuse treatment to mothers who are poor or are on Medicare.
(d) All answers are correct.
8. In 1984, who is the highest-placed woman in the New Right?
(a) Faith Whittlesey.
(b) Phyllis Schlafly.
(c) Beverly LaHaye.
(d) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
9. Which of these is not a goal of the New Right?
(a) Revocation of the Equal Pay Act.
(b) A ban on all abortions.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Censoring of birth control information.
10. This author dismisses a young woman's objection about women's role in gathering supplies.
(a) Allan Bloom.
(b) Warren Farrell.
(c) Michael Levin.
(d) George Gilder.
11. The co-directors of which of the following organizations declare themselves "the psychological arm of the women's movement"?
(a) American Psychosis Association.
(b) American Psychological Association.
(c) American Psychiatric Association.
(d) National Self-Help Clearinghouse.
12. Faludi claims that Robin Norwood stops making speeches, divorces, and withdraws into a "shell-like existence" after which of the following events?
(a) She claims that she is unable to escape the feminist movement.
(b) She realizes she is unable to have a baby.
(c) She finds that her recovery by marrying the "right" man is short-lived.
(d) She is unable to command large crowds at events.
13. Which researcher finds no statistically significant difference in how the sexes reason morally in nineteen Kohlberg studies?
(a) Lawrence Walker.
(b) Zella Luria.
(c) Susan Brownmiller.
(d) Carol Gilligan.
14. NBC and ABC use which of the following to undercut women's efforts to organize?
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Promotion of corporate faithfuls only.
(d) Threats and harassment.
15. Which of the following women had oversight of the funding from the Women's Educational Equity Act?
(a) Charlene Heatherly.
(b) Jeane Kirkpatrick.
(c) Leslie Wolfe.
(d) Faith Whittlesey.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Toni Grant, self-assertion for women is abnormal and relinquishing control is naturally feminine. Therefore, when women attempt to control their own destiny they are in fact showing that they are _____________.
2. Sylvia Ann Hewlett worked at which university?
3. Select the woman who becomes a popular Christian speaker and broadcaster, and in 1978 publishes <i>The Spirit-Controlled Woman</i>, calling on fundamentalist women to overcome passivity and develop a public voice--all by and for Jesus.
4. According to Faludi, the pay gap in 1986 is actually what?
5. What is Carol Gilligan's criticism of Lawrence Kohlberg's six-stage ladder?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)