|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christine Craft is demoted for which of the following reasons?
(a) Being too unattractive.
(b) Being insufficiently deferential to men.
(c) Being too old.
(d) All of the Above.
2. Medical journals define codependency as individuals doing which of the following?
(a) Choosing to live with more than one adult partner.
(b) Ending unfulfilling relationships.
(c) Being unable to live without each other.
(d) Selecting dysfunctional life partners.
3. In 1987 what percent of single women accept bearing and raising children outside wedlock?
(a) 87 percent.
(b) 55 percent.
(c) 90 percent.
(d) 29 percent.
4. If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single? (1988) was written by which of the following authors?
(a) Susan Price.
(b) Toni Grant.
(c) Susan Page.
(d) Robin Norwood.
5. Which of the following claims to be the "media's number one psychologist," broadcasting live, nationwide, from Los Angeles?
(a) Robin Norwood.
(b) Teresa Bernardez.
(c) Toni Grant.
(d) Karen Horney.
6. By ignoring women's issues in his acceptance speech, which presidential candidate sees his twenty-four percent gender gap decease to only eight percent by Election Day?
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) Michael Dukakis.
(d) George Bush.
7. According to Faludi what is the greatest fear of suffrage opponents in the 1910s?
(a) The creation of a "feminist party."
(b) Political indifference by women.
(c) The decline of morality in society.
(d) Smaller household sizes among the middle class.
8. Who does Faludi cite as the most famous feminist to retract her views?
(a) Carol Gilligan.
(b) Camille Paglia.
(c) Susan Brownmiller.
(d) Betty Friedan.
9. Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave are written by which of the following two authors?
(a) Kinder Connell and Melvin Cowan.
(b) Melvin Cowan and Connell Kinder.
(c) Melvin Kinder and Connell Cowan.
(d) Kinder Melvin and Cowan Connell.
10. NBC and ABC use which of the following to undercut women's efforts to organize?
(b) Promotion of corporate faithfuls only.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Threats and harassment.
11. Child abuse laws are extended to the fetus and "fetal neglect" bills flood legislatures as a result of which strategy?
(a) The policy of allowing mothers to take precedence over the fetus.
(b) An attempt to humanize the fetus and neutralize the mother.
(c) To reduce the number of US individuals addicted to drugs.
(d) The decision to provide fathers with a strategy to protect their unborn children.
12. In 1988, at every level, writes Faludi, women candidates above the state legislature are at record low numbers and those who run generally lose. What does Faludi blame for this trend?
(a) The "public drubbing" of Geraldine Ferraro.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) The hard-nosed tactics used by the press against any woman candidate.
(d) The anti-activist agenda pushed by Charlene Heatherly.
13. In the summer following the 1988 election, which women's organization held a conference at which a motion passes to discuss a third political party?
(a) Concerned Women for America.
(b) Women's Agenda Conference.
(c) Eagle Forum.
(d) National Organization for Women.
14. All of the following are listed for reasons for newspapers cutting available jobs except:
(b) Declining circulation.
(c) Falling ad lineage.
(d) Unchanging market share.
15. The antiabortion message is championed by which of the following teams?
(a) The New York Knicks.
(b) New York Rangers.
(c) New York Yankees.
(d) The New York Giants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
2. The New Right select which of the following adjectives to describe feminism?
3. The federal "reductions in force" hit women over which level twice as badly as men?
4. According to Faludi, surveys show which of the following types of women ranking highest in mental health?
5. In 1980 sex discrimination and other kinds of complaints filed before which agency climbs twenty-five to forty percent?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)