|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
(b) Financial ruin.
2. Christine Craft is demoted for which of the following reasons?
(a) Being insufficiently deferential to men.
(b) All of the Above.
(c) Being too unattractive.
(d) Being too old.
3. Which of the following network replacements is not accurate?
(a) Deborah Norville is replaced by Katie Couric.
(b) Kathleen Sullivan is replaced by Paula Zahn.
(c) Jane Pauley is replaced by Deborah Norville.
(d) Kathleen Sullivan is replaced by Jane Pauley.
4. If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single? (1988) was written by which of the following authors?
(a) Toni Grant.
(b) Susan Price.
(c) Robin Norwood.
(d) Susan Page.
5. Faludi asserts that the 1980s and early 90s legal attacks against pregnant mothers could not be motivated by a desire to protect fetuses because at the same time which of the following policies was in place?
(a) Doctors refuse treatment to mothers who are poor or are on Medicare.
(b) It is the lack of insurance and treatments, not drug addictions, that results in the widening gap between black and white fetal mortality rates.
(c) While mothers are prosecuted for refusing doctor's orders, poor mothers are not provided with the services they need to protect the health of their children.
(d) All answers are correct.
6. In 1980 sex discrimination and other kinds of complaints filed before which agency climbs twenty-five to forty percent?
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) The ERA.
(d) The EEOC.
7. In 1987 what percent of single women accept bearing and raising children outside wedlock?
(a) 29 percent.
(b) 55 percent.
(c) 87 percent.
(d) 90 percent.
8. Which book shows Reagan's influence in criticizing the welfare state and pushing volunteerism and individual responsibility?
(a) The Second Stage.
(b) The Feminine Mystique.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) In a Different Voice.
9. Faludi suggests that Western European "social feminists" have a better record with childcare and maternity leave because of which of the following?
(a) The American feminist movement has been undercut by the backlash.
(b) Europeans are more in tuned with the needs of women.
(c) Postwar European governments must rebuild their populations.
(d) The European feminist movement is more effective in attaining its goals.
10. In the books, Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave women are told that their problems stem from which of the following choices?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Delaying career entry.
(c) Delaying marriage.
(d) Delaying childbearing.
11. According to Faludi, Randall Terry is a leading figure in the antiabortion movement and his emotional baggage dates from which of the following?
(a) Being the product of a failed abortion attempt by his mother.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Being raised by three feminist aunts who each had personal stakes in legal abortions.
(d) Been rejected by his father who was married and wanted his mother to have an abortion.
12. In the 1980 presidential election, the only clear differentiation from the Democrats comes when the Republicans do what according to Faludi?
(a) Revoke the Equal Pay Act
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Oppose the ERA.
(d) Put forth an anti-abortion platform.
13. According to Faludi, surveys show which of the following types of women ranking highest in mental health?
14. According to Faludi, the 1980s are awash with books about women's special virtues of:
(c) Contextual thinking.
(d) All of the Above.
15. In 1984, who is the highest-placed woman in the New Right?
(a) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(b) Phyllis Schlafly.
(c) Beverly LaHaye.
(d) Faith Whittlesey.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are listed for reasons for newspapers cutting available jobs except:
2. By ignoring women's issues in his acceptance speech, which presidential candidate sees his twenty-four percent gender gap decease to only eight percent by Election Day?
3. NBC and ABC use which of the following to undercut women's efforts to organize?
4. According to Toni Grant, self-assertion for women is abnormal and relinquishing control is naturally feminine. Therefore, when women attempt to control their own destiny they are in fact showing that they are _____________.
5. Women become a majority of the electorate in 1984. In 1986 how do they influence national politics?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)