|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faludi, male crews comment that there are "too many women" on the job. This is reinforced by management's tendency to which of the following?
(a) Show preferential treatment to women in meetings.
(b) Demote men while promoting women.
(c) Blame affirmative action when rejecting male applicants.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. Which of the following occur following Reagan's second term in office?
(a) A greater number of conservative women begin to support the Democratic candidates.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) The New Right criticizes Reagan for not supporting its agenda more strongly during his first term.
(d) The number of female appointments drops below the level achieved during Reagan's first term.
3. Grant claims that Gilligan's In a Different Voice teaches her that the "______________" is the essence of being a woman.
(a) Embracing of one's femininity.
(b) Discovery of self.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Quest for romance.
4. In 1984, who is the highest-placed woman in the New Right?
(a) Phyllis Schlafly.
(b) Faith Whittlesey.
(c) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(d) Beverly LaHaye.
5. According to Faludi what was one of the radical suggestions made by Franham and Lundberg's Modern Women?
(a) Subsidizing psychotherapy to get neurotic women married.
(b) Providing day care centers at all jobs with at least 20 women employed.
(c) Suggest that the government approve family counseling programs.
(d) Helping women to understand that they must fulfill their own career goals.
6. Which of the following two individuals does Faludi highlight as being unmarried while preaching that women should marry?
(a) Michael Levin and Warren Farrell.
(b) George Gilder and Allan Bloom.
(c) All these individuals are married.
(d) Robert Bly and Sylvia Ann Hewlett.
7. Christine Craft is demoted for which of the following reasons?
(a) All of the Above.
(b) Being insufficiently deferential to men.
(c) Being too unattractive.
(d) Being too old.
8. Which of the following women had oversight of the funding from the Women's Educational Equity Act?
(a) Faith Whittlesey.
(b) Charlene Heatherly.
(c) Leslie Wolfe.
(d) Jeane Kirkpatrick.
9. Who does Faludi cite as the most famous feminist to retract her views?
(a) Camille Paglia.
(b) Betty Friedan.
(c) Susan Brownmiller.
(d) Carol Gilligan.
10. Faludi suggests that Western European "social feminists" have a better record with childcare and maternity leave because of which of the following?
(a) The American feminist movement has been undercut by the backlash.
(b) Europeans are more in tuned with the needs of women.
(c) The European feminist movement is more effective in attaining its goals.
(d) Postwar European governments must rebuild their populations.
11. In 1988, at every level, writes Faludi, women candidates above the state legislature are at record low numbers and those who run generally lose. What does Faludi blame for this trend?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) The "public drubbing" of Geraldine Ferraro.
(c) The hard-nosed tactics used by the press against any woman candidate.
(d) The anti-activist agenda pushed by Charlene Heatherly.
12. Which of the following women is one of the co-authors of the book No More Lonely Nights?
(a) Toni Grant.
(b) Susan Page.
(c) Susan Price.
(d) Robin Norwood.
13. To gain support for the anti-abortion backlash, the media frame the struggle as:
(a) A parental debate over maternal versus paternal rights.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) A moral and biological debate over when life begins.
(d) A moral and biological debate between mothers versus fetuses' rights.
14. The book backlash claims that which of the following is true?
(a) The gap narrows among Blacks.
(b) The gap narrows among the college educated.
(c) The gap narrows among Hispanics.
(d) The pay gap is reduced because of men's falling wages.
15. Sylvia Ann Hewlett worked at which university?
(a) Barnard College.
(c) Yeshiva University.
(d) No answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. NBC and ABC use which of the following to undercut women's efforts to organize?
2. The co-directors of which of the following organizations declare themselves "the psychological arm of the women's movement"?
3. Part 3, "Origins of a Reaction: Backlash Movers, Shakers, and Thinkers," begins by looking at "The Politics of Resentment: The ___________ War on Women."
4. What is Carol Gilligan's criticism of Lawrence Kohlberg's six-stage ladder?
5. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)