|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
(a) Ripon Forum.
(b) The Closing of the American Mind.
(c) Wealth and Poverty.
(d) Feminism and Freedom.
2. By ignoring women's issues in his acceptance speech, which presidential candidate sees his twenty-four percent gender gap decease to only eight percent by Election Day?
(a) Michael Dukakis.
(b) George Bush.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
3. According to Faludi, abortion is legal in every state:
(a) And is supported by a majority of women.
(b) Since colonial times.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Until women's rights becomes an issue in the mid nineteenth century.
4. In the 1980 presidential election, the only clear differentiation from the Democrats comes when the Republicans do what according to Faludi?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Revoke the Equal Pay Act
(c) Oppose the ERA.
(d) Put forth an anti-abortion platform.
5. ***Poet Robert Bly speaks to mostly all-male audiences about healthier views of masculinity in the time of all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Viking Power.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) The Iliad.
6. In 1984, who is the highest-placed woman in the New Right?
(a) Beverly LaHaye.
(b) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(c) Faith Whittlesey.
(d) Phyllis Schlafly.
7. Part 3, "Origins of a Reaction: Backlash Movers, Shakers, and Thinkers," begins by looking at "The Politics of Resentment: The ___________ War on Women."
(a) American Right's.
(b) New Right's.
(c) National Anti-Feminist Movement.
(d) Christian Right's.
8. Paul Weyrich is defined by Faludi as all the following EXCEPT:
(a) The "Father of the New Right."
(b) Considering feminism as a dead issue.
(c) Viewing women's liberation as a dangerous lie.
(d) Founder of the Heritage Foundation.
9. Which of these is not a goal of the New Right?
(a) Revocation of the Equal Pay Act.
(b) A ban on all abortions.
(c) Censoring of birth control information.
(d) All answers are correct.
10. What percentage of younger women feel more akin to NOW than to either political party?
(a) 75 percent.
(b) 83 percent.
(c) 50 percent.
(d) 28 percent.
11. All of the following are listed for reasons for newspapers cutting available jobs except:
(a) Unchanging market share.
(c) Falling ad lineage.
(d) Declining circulation.
12. Which of the following occur in the case of Angela Carder ("A.C"), age twenty-eight, a bone cancer victim who conceives in 1984 while in remission?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) After consulting her family, the hospital calls on Judge Emmet Sullivan to decide.
(c) The ACLU cites the Supreme Court precedent for putting giving equal weight to the mother's and fetus' health.
(d) Her long-time oncologist recommends aggressive treatment, but doctors and lawyers at the hospital worry about endangering the fetus and liability.
13. The New Right select which of the following adjectives to describe feminism?
14. Which researcher finds no statistically significant difference in how the sexes reason morally in nineteen Kohlberg studies?
(a) Lawrence Walker.
(b) Susan Brownmiller.
(c) Zella Luria.
(d) Carol Gilligan.
15. Which author uses fairy tales to generalize about men and women without offending anyone?
(a) Robert Bly.
(b) Allan Bloom.
(c) Betty Friedan.
(d) Sylvia Ann Hewlett.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1980 sex discrimination and other kinds of complaints filed before which agency climbs twenty-five to forty percent?
2. George Gilder writes that family is the ______________ so males denied this are apt to________________.
3. Women Who Love Too Much: When You Keep Wishing and Hoping He'll Change is written by which of the following authors?
4. Who does Faludi cite as the most famous feminist to retract her views?
5. According to Faludi, Randall Terry is a leading figure in the antiabortion movement and his emotional baggage dates from which of the following?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)