|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author uses fairy tales to generalize about men and women without offending anyone?
(a) Allan Bloom.
(b) Betty Friedan.
(c) Robert Bly.
(d) Sylvia Ann Hewlett.
2. What is the message of chapter 11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems"?
(a) How laypeople are used by the backlash to discredit feminism in the 1980s.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) How a variety of "experts" both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s.
(d) How large non-profit organizations fund backlash efforts in the 1980.
3. Beverly LaHaye founds Concerned Women for America (CWA); her husband Tim LaHaye is co-founder of which organization?
(a) Heritage Foundation.
(b) Free Congress Foundation.
(c) Moral Majority.
(d) Young Americans for Freedom.
4. "It's All in Your Mind" looks at ¬¬_______________ in the 1980s backlash.
(b) Undergraduate education.
(c) Popular psychology.
(d) Male bashing.
5. Grant claims that Gilligan's In a Different Voice teaches her that the "______________" is the essence of being a woman.
(a) Embracing of one's femininity.
(b) Discovery of self.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Quest for romance.
6. In the summer following the 1988 election, which women's organization held a conference at which a motion passes to discuss a third political party?
(a) National Organization for Women.
(b) Concerned Women for America.
(c) Eagle Forum.
(d) Women's Agenda Conference.
7. Which of the following two individuals does Faludi highlight as being unmarried while preaching that women should marry?
(a) George Gilder and Allan Bloom.
(b) Michael Levin and Warren Farrell.
(c) All these individuals are married.
(d) Robert Bly and Sylvia Ann Hewlett.
8. Both Susan and Stephen Price claim to be ___________ in a ___________ age.
(a) Feminists, post-feminist.
(b) Anti-feminists, anti-feminist.
(c) Feminists, anti-feminist.
(d) No answers are correct.
9. According to Toni Grant, self-assertion for women is abnormal and relinquishing control is naturally feminine. Therefore, when women attempt to control their own destiny they are in fact showing that they are _____________.
(d) All answers are correct.
10. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
(a) Women are unhappy that he is a spokesman for the movement.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) He is tired of defending his position.
(d) Feminism is fading in the media.
11. According to Faludi, the 1980s are awash with books about women's special virtues of:
(c) All of the Above.
(d) Contextual thinking.
12. The Price's use all of the following accommodations to a feminist lifestyle except which of the following?
(a) They use babysitters and nursery schools and Susan is content.
(b) Susan puts Stephen through graduate school.
(c) Susan does not complete her professional studies to become a therapist.
(d) Susan does not want to be a homemaker, over Stephen's objections.
13. Christine Craft is demoted for which of the following reasons?
(a) Being insufficiently deferential to men.
(b) All of the Above.
(c) Being too unattractive.
(d) Being too old.
14. According to Faludi, abortion is legal in every state:
(a) All of the above.
(b) And is supported by a majority of women.
(c) Until women's rights becomes an issue in the mid nineteenth century.
(d) Since colonial times.
15. Which of the following women is a Harvard-educated lawyer and author of nine books who twice runs for Congress?
(a) Faith Whittlesey.
(b) Beverly LaHaye.
(c) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(d) Phyllis Schlafly.
Short Answer Questions
1. To gain support for the anti-abortion backlash, the media frame the struggle as:
2. Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave are written by which of the following two authors?
3. Which of the following claims to be the "media's number one psychologist," broadcasting live, nationwide, from Los Angeles?
4. Women's progress in the military falls after the Carter administration had ushered in a _______________ growth rate.
5. Women become a majority of the electorate in 1984. In 1986 how do they influence national politics?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)