|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Census Bureau data.
(b) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(c) Time magazine research.
(d) No answers are correct.
2. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
(a) The high divorce rates.
(c) The surge in infertility.
(d) Financial competition between husbands and wives.
3. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Equal Rights Amendment.
(b) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(c) The Vice President.
4. Retin-A is approved by the FDA to treat _____________ and is eventually marketed to treat ________.
(a) Wrinkles, acne.
(b) Wrinkles, wrinkles.
(c) Acne, acne.
(d) Acne, wrinkles.
5. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
(c) Their married, child-bearing peers.
(d) Families in other industrialized nations.
6. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
(b) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
(c) Showing why women are better off staying home.
(d) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
7. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) David Mamet.
(b) Michael Douglas.
(c) James Dearden.
(d) Adrian Lyne.
8. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(a) No answers are correct.
9. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) John Weitz.
(b) Calvin Klein.
(c) Christian Dior.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
10. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
(a) Private Benjamin and Fatal Attraction.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Fatal Attraction and Baby Boom.
(d) Baby Boom and Private Benjamin.
11. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Return to capitalist traditions.
(b) Break women's political will.
(c) Encourage women to band together.
(d) Destroy the family bond.
12. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
(a) When Divorce Happens.
(b) The Divorce Generation.
(c) The Force of Divorce.
(d) The Divorce Revolution.
13. Backlash is written in which decade?
14. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(b) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(c) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(d) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
15. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
(b) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
(c) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
(d) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
2. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
3. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
4. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
5. Faludi asserts that equal attention is given to _______ family size in whites and ________ family size among blacks.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)