|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
(b) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
(c) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(d) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
2. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) The New England Journal of Medicine.
(b) U.S. Census Bureau.
(c) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(d) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
3. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) Michael Douglas.
(b) James Dearden.
(c) David Mamet.
(d) Adrian Lyne.
4. Which of the following women is cited in the book as being consistently shut out of the Emmys, disapproved of in public by George Bush, and having a nationwide club formed just to hate and revile her?
(a) Murphy Brown.
(b) Glenn Close.
(c) Roseanne Barr.
(d) Mae West.
5. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
(a) Baby Boom and Private Benjamin.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Private Benjamin and Fatal Attraction.
(d) Fatal Attraction and Baby Boom.
6. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
(b) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
(c) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(d) No answers are correct.
7. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
(a) Cleaning up.
8. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Equal Rights Amendment.
(b) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(d) The Vice President.
9. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
(a) They have come of age.
(b) They are in the infancy of their independence.
(c) They have surpassed men in their accomplishments.
(d) They have returned to traditional roles.
10. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
(a) Add more bikinis.
(b) Make the detectives dropouts from the police academy.
(c) Demote the police academy-trained detectives.
(d) Make the detectives incompetent unemployed actresses.
11. According to Backlash, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
(a) Research on children's opinions.
(b) Grassroots movements of husbands and fathers.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Popular culture.
12. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
(a) The family unit and how it can be torn apart.
(b) A middle-aged man's fight for monogamy.
(c) The plight of a suburban housewife.
(d) An individual's responsibility for a stranger's suffering.
13. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(b) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(c) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(d) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
14. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
(a) Patricia Craig.
(b) David Bloom.
(c) Jeanne Moorman.
(d) Neil Bennett.
15. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(b) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(c) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
(d) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
2. Advertisers tell women career success is harming their complexions and causing all of the following except:
3. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
4. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
5. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)