|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Religious dogmatism.
(b) Legal maneuvering.
(c) Scientific research.
(d) Undercover journalism.
2. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
(b) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(c) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(d) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
3. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Time magazine research.
(b) Census Bureau data.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
4. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
(a) Hear that they should take action and speak up.
(b) Go to other women for advice.
(c) Turn to male doctors.
(d) Hear that they should enjoy themselves.
5. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
(a) Private Benjamin.
(b) Fatal Attraction.
(d) The Graduate.
6. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
(a) Each present separate platforms for advancing women's rights.
(b) Both oppose the women's rights movement with equal vigor.
(c) Both stop talking about women's rights.
(d) Begin expressing diverging views about women's rights.
7. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
(a) Greater abortion rates.
(b) Higher incidents of birth defects.
(d) Higher miscarriage rates.
8. Backlash is written in which decade?
9. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
(b) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(c) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(d) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
10. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(b) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(c) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(d) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
11. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
(a) They are in the infancy of their independence.
(b) They have returned to traditional roles.
(c) They have come of age.
(d) They have surpassed men in their accomplishments.
12. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
13. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
(a) Crossing Delancey.
(b) Baby Boom.
(c) Fatal Attraction.
(d) Broadcast News.
14. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(d) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
15. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
(a) Parents Choices.
(b) After Divorce.
(c) Second Chance.
(d) The Little Ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
2. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
3. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
4. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
5. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)