|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(b) The Equal Rights Amendment.
(c) The Vice President.
2. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
(a) Man Shortages.
(b) Fertility Booms.
(c) Family Upheavals.
(d) Feminist Satisfactions.
3. Fatal and Fetal Visions deals with how the_________ serve the backlash.
4. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
5. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
(a) Fatal Attraction.
(b) Baby Boom.
(c) Broadcast News.
(d) Crossing Delancey.
6. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(b) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(c) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
(d) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
7. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(c) Time magazine research.
(d) Census Bureau data.
8. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
(a) 0.2 percent.
(b) 20 percent.
(c) 2.0 percent.
(d) 2.2 percent.
9. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
(b) Showing why women are better off staying home.
(c) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
(d) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
10. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(b) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
11. Backlash is written in which decade?
12. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
(a) Surveys show that Working Woman has many more loyal readers.
(b) The magazine is concentrating on career women's needs.
(c) Executives at Working Woman focus on traditional female roles, which is what readers want.
(d) Working Woman has a better system of distribution.
13. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
(a) Felice Schwartz.
(b) Faith Popcorn.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Mary Anne Devanna.
14. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
(a) Jeanne Moorman.
(b) David Bloom.
(c) Patricia Craig.
(d) Neil Bennett.
15. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) Adrian Lyne.
(b) Michael Douglas.
(c) David Mamet.
(d) James Dearden.
Short Answer Questions
1. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
2. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
3. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
4. Newsweek uses the metaphor that women are "______ ________ to be killed by a terrorist" than to _________.
5. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)