|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
(b) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
(c) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(d) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
2. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
3. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
(a) Man Shortages.
(b) Feminist Satisfactions.
(c) Family Upheavals.
(d) Fertility Booms.
4. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
(a) A thirty percent first-year decline for women.
(b) A twenty percent first-year decline for both men and women.
(c) A three to five percent first-year rise for men.
(d) A twenty five percent first-year rise for men.
5. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) Christian Lacroix.
(b) Calvin Klein.
(c) John Weitz.
(d) Christian Dior.
6. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
(a) Black, gonorrhea.
(b) White, HPV.
(c) White, herpes.
(d) Black, chlamydia.
7. This fragrance initially "celebrates women's liberation" but eventually ran campaigns in which under-aged models were used.
(d) Estee Lauder.
8. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(b) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
(c) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(d) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
9. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
10. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
(a) It has the men raising one baby rather than twins.
(b) It includes the remorseful mother returning to take care of the baby and marry one of the fathers.
(c) It makes all of the men happy to have a baby to take raise.
(d) It adds a dour lawyer, Rebecca, who lacks both maternal and romantic "juices."
11. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. Jack Statz.
(b) Dr. John Voorhees.
(c) Dr. Robert Harvey.
(d) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
12. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
(a) Financial competition between husbands and wives.
(b) The surge in infertility.
(d) The high divorce rates.
13. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
(a) Calvin Klein.
(b) John Weitz.
(c) Christian Dior.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
14. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
(b) 9 ½- weeks.
(c) Fatal Attraction.
(d) Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York.
15. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Decent childcare.
(b) Child-rearing courses.
(c) The right to abortions.
(d) An Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
2. What are the findings of the 1987 survey conducted by Fortune magazine on the issue of "bailing out," the term used to describe female MBA students opting for less demanding careers to concentrate on marriage and family?
3. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
4. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
5. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)