|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(b) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(c) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
(d) University researchers.
2. How does the Faludi describe the media's treatment of protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras?
(a) Faludi states that the media gives greater coverage to both issues than they give to the feminist struggle.
(b) Faludi states that the media gives equal coverage to the feminist struggle, protests against the Miss America pageant, and burning bras.
(c) Faludi states that the media gives greater coverage to the feminist struggle than they give to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
(d) Faludi states that the media gives little coverage to both issues.
3. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(a) No answers are correct.
4. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
(b) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
(c) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(d) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
5. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Time magazine research.
(b) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Census Bureau data.
6. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(b) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(c) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(d) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
7. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's drive for economic equality.
(b) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
(c) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
(d) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
8. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Scientific research.
(b) Religious dogmatism.
(c) Undercover journalism.
(d) Legal maneuvering.
9. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) Adrian Lyne.
(b) David Mamet.
(c) James Dearden.
(d) Michael Douglas.
10. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
11. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
(b) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(c) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(d) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
12. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
13. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
(a) School teachers.
14. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
(a) Calvin Klein.
(b) John Weitz.
(c) Christian Lacroix.
(d) Christian Dior.
15. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
(a) Relationally, traditionally.
(b) Psychologically, physically.
(c) Physiologically, emotionally.
(d) Morally, ethnologically.
Short Answer Questions
1. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
2. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
3. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
4. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
5. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)