|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Vice President.
(b) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(d) The Equal Rights Amendment.
2. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
(a) Relationally, traditionally.
(b) Morally, ethnologically.
(c) Psychologically, physically.
(d) Physiologically, emotionally.
3. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) Calvin Klein.
(b) John Weitz.
(c) Christian Dior.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
4. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(c) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(d) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
5. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(b) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
(c) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
(d) No answers are correct.
6. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(c) No answers are correct.
7. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
(a) Fatal Attraction and Baby Boom.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Baby Boom and Private Benjamin.
(d) Private Benjamin and Fatal Attraction.
8. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
9. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Encourage women to band together.
(b) Return to capitalist traditions.
(c) Break women's political will.
(d) Destroy the family bond.
10. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Faith Popcorn.
(c) Mary Anne Devanna.
(d) Felice Schwartz.
11. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(b) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(c) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(d) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
12. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
(c) School teachers.
13. Backlash is written in which decade?
14. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
(a) Hear that they should enjoy themselves.
(b) Hear that they should take action and speak up.
(c) Turn to male doctors.
(d) Go to other women for advice.
15. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
(d) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
2. Victoria Secret was intended to be the:
3. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
4. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
5. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)