|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
(a) Black, gonorrhea.
(b) White, HPV.
(c) Black, chlamydia.
(d) White, herpes.
2. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
(a) 2.2 percent.
(b) 20 percent.
(c) 2.0 percent.
(d) 0.2 percent.
3. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
(a) Relationally, traditionally.
(b) Physiologically, emotionally.
(c) Morally, ethnologically.
(d) Psychologically, physically.
4. Backlash is written in which decade?
5. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(c) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(d) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
6. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
(a) Mary Anne Devanna.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Faith Popcorn.
(d) Felice Schwartz.
7. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
(a) Cecelia Gouge.
(b) Diane Doe.
(c) Patsy Howell.
(d) Elia Kazan.
8. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
9. Faludi writes that all of the following designers try to push femininity onto working women except:
(a) Christian Dior.
(b) Calvin Klein.
(c) Christian Lacroix.
(d) John Weitz.
10. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Scientific research.
(b) Legal maneuvering.
(c) Undercover journalism.
(d) Religious dogmatism.
11. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(b) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
(c) The New England Journal of Medicine.
(d) U.S. Census Bureau.
12. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
(a) Congress abandons the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
(b) A string of firebombings of abortion clinics in 1987.
(c) The Supreme Court restricts women's reproductive rights in 1989.
(d) The Office of Domestic Violence is closed.
13. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
14. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
15. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Encourage women to band together.
(b) Destroy the family bond.
(c) Break women's political will.
(d) Return to capitalist traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
2. This fragrance initially "celebrates women's liberation" but eventually ran campaigns in which under-aged models were used.
3. Guess Jeans' advertising campaign is based variously on all the following except:
4. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
5. According to Faludi, cosmetic companies try to increase sales by ___________ their products.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)