|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
(a) Women's Wear Daily.
(b) Women's Day.
2. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
(b) Justification for the struggle.
(c) Resentment and stress.
3. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(b) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(c) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
(d) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
4. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
(b) Dr. Robert Harvey.
(c) Dr. John Voorhees.
(d) Dr. Jack Statz.
5. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Single versus married.
(b) Affluent versus working poor.
(c) Working versus homemakers.
(d) Young versus old.
6. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
(a) Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York.
(b) 9 ½- weeks.
(c) Fatal Attraction.
7. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
(a) The 1920s and 1930s.
(b) During World War I.
(c) In the 1970s.
(d) The 1910s and 1920s.
8. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) The New England Journal of Medicine.
(b) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(c) U.S. Census Bureau.
(d) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
9. Guess Jeans' advertising campaign is based variously on all the following except:
(a) Fatal Attraction.
(b) Fellini's La Dolce Vita.
(d) Elia Kazan's Baby Doll.
10. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
(a) White, HPV.
(b) Black, gonorrhea.
(c) White, herpes.
(d) Black, chlamydia.
11. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
12. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
(a) The family unit and how it can be torn apart.
(b) The plight of a suburban housewife.
(c) A middle-aged man's fight for monogamy.
(d) An individual's responsibility for a stranger's suffering.
13. This fragrance initially "celebrates women's liberation" but eventually ran campaigns in which under-aged models were used.
(a) Estee Lauder.
14. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
(a) After Divorce.
(b) Second Chance.
(c) Parents Choices.
(d) The Little Ones.
15. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) University researchers.
(b) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(c) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(d) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which female executive is quoted as saying she hopes companies can treat "career-and-family women" more leniently than "career-primary" women?
2. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
3. Which of the following terms was coined as a part of the backlash?
4. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
5. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)