|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
(a) The Supreme Court restricts women's reproductive rights in 1989.
(b) Congress abandons the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
(c) The Office of Domestic Violence is closed.
(d) A string of firebombings of abortion clinics in 1987.
2. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) Their married, child-bearing peers.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
(d) Families in other industrialized nations.
3. Advertisers tell women career success is harming their complexions and causing all of the following except:
(b) Weight gain.
(c) Hair loss.
(d) Dry skin.
4. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
(a) Happy single womanhood, women marrying on their own terms, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(b) Unhappy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(c) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women forcing husbands into counseling to save unhappy marriages.
(d) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
5. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
(b) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(c) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(d) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
6. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
(b) A culture of support for working mothers.
(c) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(d) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
7. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
(a) The way in which cosmetics and diet fads are used to subjugate women.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) How the cosmetics industry and plastic surgery complete the "cultural undertow" of the 1980s backlash.
(d) The strategies used by cosmetic companies to convince women they must wear makeup to appeal to men and look professional in the workplace.
8. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) Adrian Lyne.
(b) James Dearden.
(c) David Mamet.
(d) Michael Douglas.
9. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
(b) The New England Journal of Medicine.
(c) U.S. Census Bureau.
(d) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
10. Which female executive is quoted as saying she hopes companies can treat "career-and-family women" more leniently than "career-primary" women?
(a) Bonnie Chambers.
(b) Felice Schwartz.
(c) Mary Anne Devanna.
(d) Faith Popcorn.
11. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
12. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
(a) Diane Doe.
(b) Elia Kazan.
(c) Patsy Howell.
(d) Cecelia Gouge.
13. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. John Voorhees.
(b) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
(c) Dr. Robert Harvey.
(d) Dr. Jack Statz.
14. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
(a) It includes the remorseful mother returning to take care of the baby and marry one of the fathers.
(b) It has the men raising one baby rather than twins.
(c) It makes all of the men happy to have a baby to take raise.
(d) It adds a dour lawyer, Rebecca, who lacks both maternal and romantic "juices."
15. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
(a) Higher miscarriage rates.
(b) Higher incidents of birth defects.
(d) Greater abortion rates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
2. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
3. Which of the following women is cited in the book as being consistently shut out of the Emmys, disapproved of in public by George Bush, and having a nationwide club formed just to hate and revile her?
4. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
5. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)