|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms was coined as a part of the backlash?
(a) Mommy syndrome.
(b) Biological clock.
(c) Feminism movement.
(d) Husband shortage.
2. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
3. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
(a) 0.2 percent.
(b) 2.2 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 2.0 percent.
4. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
(a) Patricia Craig.
(b) Shere Hite.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Dr. Srully Blotnick.
5. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
(a) <i>Fatal Attraction</i>.
(b) <i>The Graduate</i>.
(c) <i>Private Benjamin</i>.
(d) <i>Flashdance. </i>
6. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and <i>Cosmopolitan</i> warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(b) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(c) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
(d) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
7. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
(a) The family unit and how it can be torn apart.
(b) A middle-aged man's fight for monogamy.
(c) The plight of a suburban housewife.
(d) An individual's responsibility for a stranger's suffering.
8. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
(a) Diane Doe.
(b) Cecelia Gouge.
(c) Elia Kazan.
(d) Patsy Howell.
9. Advertisers tell women career success is harming their complexions and causing all of the following except:
(a) Weight gain.
(c) Dry skin.
(d) Hair loss.
10. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau.
(b) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(c) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
(d) <i>The New England Journal of Medicine</i>.
11. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
(a) Removing all gender-neutral policies from public laws.
(b) Removing gender-based arguments from its hearings.
(c) Reconsidering abortion rights.
(d) Striking down the Equal Rights Amendment.
12. <i>Backlash</i> is written in which decade?
13. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
(d) School teachers.
14. In 1988, Robert Filoso defines the "New Generation" of female beauty with mannequins that are:
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Taller, more slender, and poutier.
(c) Flawless, shorter, bustier, and wasp-waisted.
(d) Flawless, slender, and shorter.
15. Guess Jeans' advertising campaign is based variously on all the following except:
(a) Elia Kazan's <i>Baby Doll.</i>
(c) Fellini's <i>La Dolce Vita.</i>
(d) <i>Fatal Attraction.</i>
Short Answer Questions
1. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
2. How does <>Women's Wear Daily<i> serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
3. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
4. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
5. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)