|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(b) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(c) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(d) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
3. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(b) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
4. Backlash is written in which decade?
5. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
(b) Dr. Jack Statz.
(c) Dr. John Voorhees.
(d) Dr. Robert Harvey.
6. According to Backlash, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
(a) Grassroots movements of husbands and fathers.
(b) Research on children's opinions.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Popular culture.
7. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
(b) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
(c) Showing why women are better off staying home.
(d) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
8. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
(a) An individual's responsibility for a stranger's suffering.
(b) The plight of a suburban housewife.
(c) The family unit and how it can be torn apart.
(d) A middle-aged man's fight for monogamy.
9. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(b) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
10. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(b) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(c) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(d) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
11. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
(a) Unhappy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(b) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women forcing husbands into counseling to save unhappy marriages.
(c) Happy single womanhood, women marrying on their own terms, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(d) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
12. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
(a) It includes the remorseful mother returning to take care of the baby and marry one of the fathers.
(b) It adds a dour lawyer, Rebecca, who lacks both maternal and romantic "juices."
(c) It makes all of the men happy to have a baby to take raise.
(d) It has the men raising one baby rather than twins.
13. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
(b) Tummy tucks.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Breast implants.
14. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
(b) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(d) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
15. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(c) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(d) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
2. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
4. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
5. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)