|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. <i>Fatal and Fetal Visions</i> deals with how the_________ serve the backlash.
2. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
(b) Justification for the struggle.
(d) Resentment and stress.
3. As the health care industry continues to convince women they need medical attention, the market increases for which of these services?
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Colon cleansing.
(d) Diet clinics.
4. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(b) U.S. Census Bureau.
(c) <i>The New England Journal of Medicine</i>.
(d) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
5. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(b) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
(c) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
(d) No answers are correct.
6. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(d) No answers are correct.
7. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Equal Rights Amendment.
(b) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(c) The Vice President.
8. Which of the following magazines uses the Harvard-Yale study to sell minis?
(a) <i>Women's Day</i>.
(b) <i>Women's Wear Daily</i>.
9. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
(a) Television producers do not wish to tackle these issues through on-screen programming.
(b) Hollywood movies have greater budgets and more freedom with their creativity.
(c) There are more women executives in the television industry who support the women's movement.
(d) Women are a majority of viewers and are advertisers' prime target.
10. Guess Jeans' advertising campaign is based variously on all the following except:
(a) <i>Fatal Attraction.</i>
(c) Elia Kazan's <i>Baby Doll.</i>
(d) Fellini's <i>La Dolce Vita.</i>
11. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
(a) Adrian Lyne.
(b) Michael Douglas.
(c) David Mamet.
(d) James Dearden.
12. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Destroy the family bond.
(b) Encourage women to band together.
(c) Return to capitalist traditions.
(d) Break women's political will.
13. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the <i>Fortune</i> magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
14. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
(a) The 1920s and 1930s.
(b) During World War I.
(c) The 1910s and 1920s.
(d) In the 1970s.
15. In <i>Angels 88</i> screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
(a) Add more bikinis.
(b) Make the detectives incompetent unemployed actresses.
(c) Demote the police academy-trained detectives.
(d) Make the detectives dropouts from the police academy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
2. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
3. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
4. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
5. According to <i>Backlash</i>, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)