|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
(a) Demote the police academy-trained detectives.
(b) Make the detectives dropouts from the police academy.
(c) Add more bikinis.
(d) Make the detectives incompetent unemployed actresses.
2. Who is nicknamed "The Breast Man of San Francisco"?
(a) Dr. Robert Harvey.
(b) Dr. Jack Statz.
(c) Dr. Hugo Ramirez.
(d) Dr. John Voorhees.
3. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
4. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Families in other industrialized nations.
(c) Their married, child-bearing peers.
(d) Paupers, fools, and foreigners.
5. Which 1980s movie is credited for fueling a "monogamy trend" and "reinvigorating marriage"?
(a) 9 ½- weeks.
(b) Fatal Attraction.
(d) Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York.
6. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(b) Census Bureau data.
(c) Time magazine research.
(d) No answers are correct.
7. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
(b) Higher incidents of birth defects.
(c) Higher miscarriage rates.
(d) Greater abortion rates.
8. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
(a) Television producers do not wish to tackle these issues through on-screen programming.
(b) There are more women executives in the television industry who support the women's movement.
(c) Women are a majority of viewers and are advertisers' prime target.
(d) Hollywood movies have greater budgets and more freedom with their creativity.
9. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
(a) Shere Hite.
(b) Dr. Srully Blotnick.
(c) Patricia Craig.
(d) No answers are correct.
10. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Young versus old.
(b) Working versus homemakers.
(c) Single versus married.
(d) Affluent versus working poor.
11. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
12. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
(b) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(c) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
(d) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
13. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
(b) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
(c) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
(d) Showing why women are better off staying home.
14. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
(a) Justification for the struggle.
(d) Resentment and stress.
15. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
(b) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(d) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
2. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
3. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
4. Which of the following women bets a male reporter that she will marry by forty?
5. Faludi asserts that equal attention is given to _______ family size in whites and ________ family size among blacks.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)