|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
(a) How the cosmetics industry and plastic surgery complete the "cultural undertow" of the 1980s backlash.
(b) The way in which cosmetics and diet fads are used to subjugate women.
(c) The strategies used by cosmetic companies to convince women they must wear makeup to appeal to men and look professional in the workplace.
(d) No answers are correct.
2. Christine Craft is demoted for which of the following reasons?
(a) Being too old.
(b) Being too unattractive.
(c) All of the Above.
(d) Being insufficiently deferential to men.
3. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
(b) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(c) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
(d) No answers are correct.
4. Faludi asserts that the 1980s and early 90s legal attacks against pregnant mothers could not be motivated by a desire to protect fetuses because at the same time which of the following policies was in place?
(a) Doctors refuse treatment to mothers who are poor or are on Medicare.
(b) It is the lack of insurance and treatments, not drug addictions, that results in the widening gap between black and white fetal mortality rates.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) While mothers are prosecuted for refusing doctor's orders, poor mothers are not provided with the services they need to protect the health of their children.
5. Select the woman who becomes a popular Christian speaker and broadcaster, and in 1978 publishes The Spirit-Controlled Woman, calling on fundamentalist women to overcome passivity and develop a public voice--all by and for Jesus.
(a) Connaught ("Connie") Marshner.
(b) Faith Whittlesey.
(c) Phyllis Schlafly.
(d) Beverly LaHaye.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the books, Smart Women/Foolish Choices and Women Men Love/Women Men Leave women are told that their problems stem from which of the following choices?
2. Sylvia Ann Hewlett worked at which university?
3. What are the findings of the 1987 survey conducted by Fortune magazine on the issue of "bailing out," the term used to describe female MBA students opting for less demanding careers to concentrate on marriage and family?
4. According to Faludi, at the end of the 1980s women go back to___________ about ___________.
5. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)