|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the findings of the 1987 survey conducted by Fortune magazine on the issue of "bailing out," the term used to describe female MBA students opting for less demanding careers to concentrate on marriage and family?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) It finds no gender gap--both men and women are putting family over professional advancement.
(c) It finds a tiny gender gap--with more men than women putting family over professional advancement.
(d) It finds a tiny gender gap--with more women than men putting family over professional advancement.
2. ***Poet Robert Bly speaks to mostly all-male audiences about healthier views of masculinity in the time of all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Viking Power.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) The Odyssey.
3. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
(a) He is tired of defending his position.
(b) Women are unhappy that he is a spokesman for the movement.
(c) Feminism is fading in the media.
(d) All answers are correct.
4. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
5. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
(a) Working Woman has a better system of distribution.
(b) The magazine is concentrating on career women's needs.
(c) Surveys show that Working Woman has many more loyal readers.
(d) Executives at Working Woman focus on traditional female roles, which is what readers want.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book blames women for depleting men of "vim and vigor"?
2. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
3. This fragrance initially "celebrates women's liberation" but eventually ran campaigns in which under-aged models were used.
4. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
5. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)