|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(c) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(d) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
2. Grant concludes that women's liberation is a set of "big lies" that lead to all of the following EXCEPT:
(d) Financial ruin.
3. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
(a) It makes all of the men happy to have a baby to take raise.
(b) It includes the remorseful mother returning to take care of the baby and marry one of the fathers.
(c) It has the men raising one baby rather than twins.
(d) It adds a dour lawyer, Rebecca, who lacks both maternal and romantic "juices."
4. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
(b) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
(c) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(d) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
5. All of the following are listed for reasons for newspapers cutting available jobs except:
(a) Unchanging market share.
(c) Falling ad lineage.
(d) Declining circulation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
2. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
3. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
4. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
5. Faludi identified which of the following books as the most widely quoted and influential feminist work in the 1980s?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)