|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi suggests that Western European "social feminists" have a better record with childcare and maternity leave because of which of the following?
(a) The American feminist movement has been undercut by the backlash.
(b) Postwar European governments must rebuild their populations.
(c) Europeans are more in tuned with the needs of women.
(d) The European feminist movement is more effective in attaining its goals.
2. Chapter 13, "The Wages of the Backlash" shows all of the following undermining the progress women make in the 1970s EXCEPT:
(d) An expanding minimum-wage economy.
3. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
(b) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
(c) Showing why women are better off staying home.
(d) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
4. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
5. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(c) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
(d) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
2. According to Faludi what was one of the radical suggestions made by Franham and Lundberg's Modern Women?
3. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
4. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
5. Which backlash proponent calls himself "America's Number-One Anti-feminist"?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)