|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(b) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(c) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(d) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
2. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(c) No answers are correct.
3. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
(b) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
(c) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
(d) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
4. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
(a) The Office of Domestic Violence is closed.
(b) The Supreme Court restricts women's reproductive rights in 1989.
(c) Congress abandons the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
(d) A string of firebombings of abortion clinics in 1987.
5. Faludi states that which of the following is less harmful to women than other forms of plastic surgery?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Breast implants.
(d) Tummy tucks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
2. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
3. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
4. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
5. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)