|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(b) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(c) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(d) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
2. Whose design house loses $9.3 million in 1989?
(a) Calvin Klein.
(b) Christian Dior.
(c) John Weitz.
(d) Christian Lacroix.
3. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
(a) Neil Bennett.
(b) David Bloom.
(c) Jeanne Moorman.
(d) Patricia Craig.
4. What is the theme of Chapter 8, "Beauty and the Backlash"?
(a) The way in which cosmetics and diet fads are used to subjugate women.
(b) The strategies used by cosmetic companies to convince women they must wear makeup to appeal to men and look professional in the workplace.
(c) How the cosmetics industry and plastic surgery complete the "cultural undertow" of the 1980s backlash.
(d) No answers are correct.
5. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(b) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(c) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(d) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
2. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
3. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
4. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
5. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)