|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
(a) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women buy the attire.
(b) It convinces women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(c) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work; male fashion designers attempt to fight against the trend, but this is what women want to buy.
(d) It tries unsuccessfully to convince women to buy into overly feminine and exploitive clothing to work, male fashion designers create these clothing lines and women do not buy the attire.
2. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
(b) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
3. Victoria Secret was intended to be the:
(a) Store where women could buy lingerie without the interruptions of men.
(b) Retail store to provide real intimate attire for real women.
(c) Type of store where couples could purchase intimate attire for dress-up fantasies.
(d) Disneyland version of a 19th-century lady's dressing room.
4. ________ issues more miniskirts and says older women want to feel sexy on the job and ________ agrees: "gals" like to show their legs.
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) John Weitz, Christian Dior.
(c) Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix.
(d) Bill Blass, Calvin Klein.
5. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Legal maneuvering.
(b) Religious dogmatism.
(c) Undercover journalism.
(d) Scientific research.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
2. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
3. Backlash is written in which decade?
4. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
5. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)