|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(b) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(c) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
(d) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
2. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
(a) Mary Anne Devanna.
(b) Felice Schwartz.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) Faith Popcorn.
3. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and <i>Cosmopolitan</i> warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(b) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(c) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
(d) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
4. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Equal Rights Amendment.
(c) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(d) The Vice President.
5. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(b) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
(c) A culture of support for working mothers.
(d) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
2. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
3. Which of the following women is cited in the book as being consistently shut out of the Emmys, disapproved of in public by George Bush, and having a nationwide club formed just to hate and revile her?
4. Which of the following terms was coined as a part of the backlash?
5. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with <i>Good Housekeeping</i> the worst off and <i>Working Woman</i> the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of <i>Working Woman</i>?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)