|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Scientific research.
(b) Undercover journalism.
(c) Legal maneuvering.
(d) Religious dogmatism.
2. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
(b) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
(c) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(d) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
3. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
(a) Show women as recognizing the sacrifices of being working women, but highly satisfied with their choices.
(b) Show female jobs as tedious and supportive of male enterprises.
(c) Fail to indict a demoralizing marketplace.
(d) Showing why women are better off staying home.
4. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(b) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(c) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(d) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
5. In Angels 88 screenwriter Brad Markowitz has been ordered to do all of the following except:
(a) Add more bikinis.
(b) Make the detectives incompetent unemployed actresses.
(c) Make the detectives dropouts from the police academy.
(d) Demote the police academy-trained detectives.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Reagan's accession to the presidency, Faludi writes that the two political parties do which of the following?
2. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
3. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
4. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
5. In 1987, what does NBC identify as the possible "yuppie disease of the '80s"?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)