|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
(b) Justification for the struggle.
(d) Resentment and stress.
2. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(d) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
3. According to Faludi, how are female characters treated in morality tales?
(a) Good mothers win, and single women are always envious of those in traditional roles.
(b) Women are not judged according to their lifestyle choices.
(c) Good mothers win, and independent women are punished.
(d) Good mothers are punished, and independent women win.
4. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
(a) Working Woman has a better system of distribution.
(b) Surveys show that Working Woman has many more loyal readers.
(c) The magazine is concentrating on career women's needs.
(d) Executives at Working Woman focus on traditional female roles, which is what readers want.
5. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(b) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
(c) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(d) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
2. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
3. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
4. What are the findings of the 1987 survey conducted by Fortune magazine on the issue of "bailing out," the term used to describe female MBA students opting for less demanding careers to concentrate on marriage and family?
5. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)