|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
2. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(b) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
(c) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
(d) A culture of support for working mothers.
3. According to Faludi, men's opposition to women's rights and the feminist movement is a source of:
(c) Resentment and stress.
(d) Justification for the struggle.
4. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(b) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(c) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(d) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
5. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
(b) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
(c) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(d) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
2. Backlash is written in which decade?
3. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
4. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
5. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)