|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Faludi describe the media's treatment of protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras?
(a) Faludi states that the media gives little coverage to both issues.
(b) Faludi states that the media gives greater coverage to both issues than they give to the feminist struggle.
(c) Faludi states that the media gives equal coverage to the feminist struggle, protests against the Miss America pageant, and burning bras.
(d) Faludi states that the media gives greater coverage to the feminist struggle than they give to protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras.
2. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
(b) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
(c) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
(d) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
3. Which of the following two anti-feminist movies are made into television sitcoms?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Fatal Attraction and Baby Boom.
(c) Baby Boom and Private Benjamin.
(d) Private Benjamin and Fatal Attraction.
4. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's drive for economic equality.
(b) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
(c) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
(d) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
5. Fatal and Fetal Visions deals with how the_________ serve the backlash.
Short Answer Questions
1. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
2. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
3. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
4. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
5. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)