|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Census Bureau data.
(c) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(d) Time magazine research.
2. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
(b) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
(c) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(d) No answers are correct.
3. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
(b) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
(c) Women's drive for economic equality.
(d) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
4. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(b) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
(c) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(d) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
5. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(b) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(c) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(d) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
2. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
3. When making an indictment of 1980s films featuring female jobs, Faludi states that these movies do all of the following except:
4. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
5. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)