|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
(b) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
(c) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
(d) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
2. Part 2 of the book The Backlash in Popular Culture looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
(a) A twenty percent first-year decline for both men and women.
(b) A twenty five percent first-year rise for men.
(c) A three to five percent first-year rise for men.
(d) A thirty percent first-year decline for women.
4. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(b) No answers are correct.
5. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau.
(b) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(c) The New England Journal of Medicine.
(d) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Newsweek uses the metaphor that women are "______ ________ to be killed by a terrorist" than to _________.
2. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
3. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
4. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
5. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)