|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
(b) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
2. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(b) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
(c) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
(d) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
3. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Single versus married.
(b) Affluent versus working poor.
(c) Young versus old.
(d) Working versus homemakers.
4. What are the findings of the 1987 survey conducted by Fortune magazine on the issue of "bailing out," the term used to describe female MBA students opting for less demanding careers to concentrate on marriage and family?
(a) It finds a tiny gender gap--with more women than men putting family over professional advancement.
(b) It finds no gender gap--both men and women are putting family over professional advancement.
(c) It finds a tiny gender gap--with more men than women putting family over professional advancement.
(d) No answers are correct.
5. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(b) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(c) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(d) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
2. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
3. According to Backlash, career women are warned that their choice to delay pregnancy and childbirth are resulting in which of the following?
4. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
5. Which female executive is quoted as saying she hopes companies can treat "career-and-family women" more leniently than "career-primary" women?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)