|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
(b) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
(c) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(d) A culture of support for working mothers.
2. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Undercover journalism.
(b) Religious dogmatism.
(c) Legal maneuvering.
(d) Scientific research.
3. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
(b) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
(c) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(d) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
4. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Single versus married.
(b) Young versus old.
(c) Affluent versus working poor.
(d) Working versus homemakers.
5. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
(a) White, HPV.
(b) Black, chlamydia.
(c) White, herpes.
(d) Black, gonorrhea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
2. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
3. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
4. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
5. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)