|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
(b) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(d) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
2. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
(b) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(c) University researchers.
(d) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
3. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
(a) Psychologically, physically.
(b) Relationally, traditionally.
(c) Morally, ethnologically.
(d) Physiologically, emotionally.
4. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(b) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
5. Faludi notes that rarely do the backlash's "force and furor" become as public as when which of the following occurs?
(a) When women's clinics are firebombed.
(b) When women's clinics are awarded additional funding.
(c) When prominent politicians deliver speeches against feminism.
(d) When women's clinics are shut down due to systematic lobbying efforts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
2. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
3. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
4. According to Faludi in Chapter 1, all of the following attack feminists EXCEPT:
5. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)