|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
(b) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
(c) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
(d) Women's drive for economic equality.
2. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
(a) Removing all gender-neutral policies from public laws.
(b) Removing gender-based arguments from its hearings.
(c) Striking down the Equal Rights Amendment.
(d) Reconsidering abortion rights.
3. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
(b) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
(d) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
4. By the 1980s the media begins to hail the arrival of a "________ generation."
5. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
(a) They have returned to traditional roles.
(b) They are in the infancy of their independence.
(c) They have surpassed men in their accomplishments.
(d) They have come of age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
2. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
3. In the book Backlash, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
4. According to Backlash, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
5. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)