|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi asserts that equal attention is given to _______ family size in whites and ________ family size among blacks.
(a) Increasing, increasing.
(b) Increasing, limiting.
(c) Limiting, limiting.
(d) Limiting, increasing.
2. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
(b) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
(c) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(d) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
3. According to <i>Backlash</i>, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(b) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(c) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(d) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
4. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
(b) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
(c) Women's drive for economic equality.
(d) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
5. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(b) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(c) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(d) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
2. Cries of a "birth dearth" proudly seeks to scare educated white women into keeping up with which of the following groups according to Faludi?
3. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
4. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
5. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)