|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
(b) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
(c) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(d) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
2. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(b) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(c) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(d) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
(a) A twenty five percent first-year rise for men.
(b) A three to five percent first-year rise for men.
(c) A thirty percent first-year decline for women.
(d) A twenty percent first-year decline for both men and women.
4. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
(a) Family Upheavals.
(b) Feminist Satisfactions.
(c) Fertility Booms.
(d) Man Shortages.
5. Faludi notes that after Reagan becomes president, which of the following are among the political victims?
(a) The Vice President.
(c) The Office of Domestic Violence.
(d) The Equal Rights Amendment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
2. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
3. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
4. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
5. According to Faludi, thirty years of data show that men suffer __________ __________ than do women.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)