|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
(b) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(c) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(d) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
(b) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(c) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(d) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
3. Part 2 of the book <i>The Backlash in Popular Culture</i> looks at trends in all the following media EXCEPT:
4. Surveys show that an overwhelming majority of women feel there is still a need for all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Child-rearing courses.
(b) An Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
(c) Decent childcare.
(d) The right to abortions.
5. Select the book that claims that children are worse off when parents divorce.
(a) <i>After Divorce</i>.
(b) <i>Second Chance</i>.
(c) <i>The Little Ones</i>.
(d) <i>Parents Choices</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
2. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
3. In her timeline of women's cosmetic trends, Faludi states that the bright, healthy, athletic look is popular in which era?
4. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
5. According to <i>Backlash</i>, attacking the feminist movement is accomplished by systematically using which of the following?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)