|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
(a) Collecting pre-reform data against which to test her hypothesis.
(b) Focusing on the core question of whether women are better off "protected" or equal.
(c) Rejecting the "charade" of the old system.
(d) "Fine-tuning" new divorce laws.
2. What is the message of chapter 11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems"?
(a) How laypeople are used by the backlash to discredit feminism in the 1980s.
(b) How a variety of "experts" both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s.
(c) How large non-profit organizations fund backlash efforts in the 1980.
(d) No answers are correct.
3. According to Faludi what was one of the radical suggestions made by Franham and Lundberg's Modern Women?
(a) Providing day care centers at all jobs with at least 20 women employed.
(b) Subsidizing psychotherapy to get neurotic women married.
(c) Suggest that the government approve family counseling programs.
(d) Helping women to understand that they must fulfill their own career goals.
4. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
(a) Women's choices of fashion and clothing.
(b) Women's increasing presence in the political arena.
(c) Women's drive for economic equality.
(d) Women's desires to control their own fertility.
5. What is the complete title of the book, Backlash?
(a) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.
(b) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Families.
(c) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Women.
(d) Backlash: The Declared War Against American Families.
Short Answer Questions
1. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
2. According to Toni Grant, self-assertion for women is abnormal and relinquishing control is naturally feminine. Therefore, when women attempt to control their own destiny they are in fact showing that they are _____________.
3. Why do politicians, journalists, and business leaders claim that women need no more help advancing?
4. If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single? (1988) was written by which of the following authors?
5. To gain support for the anti-abortion backlash, the media frame the struggle as:
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)