|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and <i>Cosmopolitan</i> warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
(b) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
(c) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(d) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
2. According to <i>Backlash</i>, the press uses the Harvard-Yale study to scare women into marrying "just to beat the 'odds'." At the same time, they overlook which of the following types of data?
(a) Women cohabitating at rates twice those of 1970.
(b) Census figures showing 1.9 million more never-married men than women.
(c) Better paid women are more likely to marry.
(d) Unmarried women believing their lives are "as easy" as married friends.
3. When women boo <i>Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York</i>, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
(b) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
4. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
(a) <i>Flashdance. </i>
(b) <i>The Graduate</i>.
(c) <i>Fatal Attraction</i>.
(d) <i>Private Benjamin</i>.
5. Unmarried, childless after forty, hooked on work, a 1970s feminist and the third generation in her family to have a low view of "traditional femininity." This is Faludi's description of which market research trend executive?
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) Faith Popcorn.
(c) Mary Anne Devanna.
(d) Felice Schwartz.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
2. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
3. How does the Faludi describe the media's treatment of protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras?
4. All of the following are researchers on the Harvard-Yale marriage study EXCEPT:
5. What is the complete title of the book, <i>Backlash</i>?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)