|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the Fortune magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
2. The backlash seeks to divide and conquer by pitting women against each other. Faludi describes all of the following battle lines EXCEPT:
(a) Single versus married.
(b) Affluent versus working poor.
(c) Young versus old.
(d) Working versus homemakers.
3. Faludi asserts that a major objective of the attack on feminism is the desire to:
(a) Break women's political will.
(b) Return to capitalist traditions.
(c) Encourage women to band together.
(d) Destroy the family bond.
4. What three relationship trends increased in the 1950s?
(a) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women forcing husbands into counseling to save unhappy marriages.
(b) Happy single womanhood, women marrying on their own terms, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(c) Unhappy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
(d) Happy single womanhood, women marrying to conform to societal expectations, and women fleeing unhappy marriages.
5. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Legal maneuvering.
(b) Scientific research.
(c) Undercover journalism.
(d) Religious dogmatism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
2. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
3. Newsweek uses the metaphor that women are "______ ________ to be killed by a terrorist" than to _________.
4. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
5. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)