|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Time magazine research.
(b) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(c) Census Bureau data.
(d) No answers are correct.
2. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(b) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
(c) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(d) University researchers.
3. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with Good Housekeeping the worst off and Working Woman the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of Working Woman?
(a) Surveys show that Working Woman has many more loyal readers.
(b) The magazine is concentrating on career women's needs.
(c) Executives at Working Woman focus on traditional female roles, which is what readers want.
(d) Working Woman has a better system of distribution.
4. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
(a) Legal maneuvering.
(b) Religious dogmatism.
(c) Scientific research.
(d) Undercover journalism.
5. When women boo Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York, Faludi sees this as an indication that women want to embrace single womanhood. She says this because of which of the following?
(a) They disagree with the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) They disagree with the choices of spouses and feel that the writers mismatched the female leads and the men that they marry.
(d) They prefer the ending in the novel in which the author does not feel the need to marry off the single women. They do not like the wedding scenes and prefer more romantic settings.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
3. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
4. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
5. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)