|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
(a) It includes the remorseful mother returning to take care of the baby and marry one of the fathers.
(b) It has the men raising one baby rather than twins.
(c) It makes all of the men happy to have a baby to take raise.
(d) It adds a dour lawyer, Rebecca, who lacks both maternal and romantic "juices."
2. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
(b) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(c) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
(d) A culture of support for working mothers.
3. Which organization's findings do not support the idea of a "baby boomlet" among career women?
(a) Annual surveys by professional organizations.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Time magazine research.
(d) Census Bureau data.
4. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
(a) Childlessness, bitterness, and financial ruin.
(b) Loneliness, depression, and childlessness.
(c) Depression, loneliness, and an empty bank account.
(d) An empty bank account, bitterness, and loneliness.
5. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
(a) A twenty percent first-year decline for both men and women.
(b) A twenty five percent first-year rise for men.
(c) A thirty percent first-year decline for women.
(d) A three to five percent first-year rise for men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book provides the "devastating" statistics that there is a seventy-three percent decline in a woman's standard of living during the first year after divorce versus a man's forty-seven percent increase?
2. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
3. The chapter "Teen Angels and Unwed Witches" turns to which of the following media?
4. The "Big Lie" joins ____________ to the "dime-store moralism of yesteryear."
5. Faludi asserts that the decade's only real infertility epidemic is among young _____ women and is caused largely by the failure to treat ______ early on.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)