|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
(a) Family Upheavals.
(b) Man Shortages.
(c) Feminist Satisfactions.
(d) Fertility Booms.
2. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(b) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
(c) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
(d) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
(a) A twenty five percent first-year rise for men.
(b) A thirty percent first-year decline for women.
(c) A twenty percent first-year decline for both men and women.
(d) A three to five percent first-year rise for men.
4. Faludi suggests that movies are used by men to deal with their emotions concerning women. How does she suggest this is done?
(a) In dark theaters men work out deep-seated resentments and fears about women.
(b) They avoid movies in which women are not treated equally and support movies that show they are progressive and in support of the feminist movement.
(c) By watching tapes at home men develop bitter grudges and ongoing fears about women.
(d) When watching movies with female partners, men cow them into silence by shouting at the screen.
5. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(d) No answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the American version of the French film Three Men and a Baby, what significant change is made to the story line?
2. Faludi states that in 1986, NBC and Cosmopolitan warn women of three side effects of divorce including:
3. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
4. Women send positive letters after the heroine walks away from the altar in which movie?
5. Faludi presents Ms. Magazine as a media outlet that has abandoned its flagship status as a supporter of the feminist movement. She writes that the magazine returns to its roots only after what happens?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)