|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1 of <i>Backlash</i>, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
(a) Family Upheavals.
(b) Fertility Booms.
(c) Man Shortages.
(d) Feminist Satisfactions.
2. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
(a) Support the backlash's efforts to highlight slight changes in women returning to traditional roles.
(b) Identify a gender-neutral trend of parents leaving the office for being at home.
(c) Highlight the fact that neither men nor women are placing family time over career advancement.
(d) Show men as being more focused on sacrificing career advancement for family time.
3. An analogy is made between heiress Patricia Hearst and many female characters of the 1980s. Which of the following expresses the comparison?
(a) Carrying a light load in a backpack to symbolize the ease with which committed women face motherhood.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) Having two heavy weights in each hand to symbolize the choice between marriage and single womanhood.
(d) Being bound, blindfolded, and lacking identity to symbolize having to flee the office for marriage and motherhood.
4. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
(a) Turn to male doctors.
(b) Hear that they should take action and speak up.
(c) Hear that they should enjoy themselves.
(d) Go to other women for advice.
5. In 1989 which Ivy League university commissioned a survey that confirmed the findings of the <i>Fortune</i> magazine research on female MBA students "bailing out"?
Short Answer Questions
1. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
2. Sociologist Lenore Weitzman suggests that the issue of divorce should be handled by doing all of the following EXCEPT:
3. The term "strong-armed into motherhood" is used by Faludi to describe which of the following movies?
4. Another blow to the feminist movement comes when the Supreme Court moves towards which of the following actions?
5. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)