|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Select the magazine that Faludi praises for using federal statistics to accurately portray the career choices of women.
(d) No answers are correct.
2. After the pop media launches its assault on single womanhood and increasing divorce numbers, what does Faludi quote as the percent drop in divorce rates?
(a) 20 percent.
(b) 2.0 percent.
(c) 2.2 percent.
(d) 0.2 percent.
3. British directory/screenwriter James Dearden's screenplay makes the adulterous husband more sympathetic; however, according to Faludi, it was intended to be an exploration of what?
(a) The family unit and how it can be torn apart.
(b) The plight of a suburban housewife.
(c) An individual's responsibility for a stranger's suffering.
(d) A middle-aged man's fight for monogamy.
4. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
(a) Long-standing support for women's rights.
(b) An undercurrent of resentment against working fathers.
(c) A culture of support for working mothers.
(d) Long-standing resistance to women's rights.
5. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
(a) Hear that they should enjoy themselves.
(b) Hear that they should take action and speak up.
(c) Go to other women for advice.
(d) Turn to male doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
2. The major networks parade tearfully "penitent unwed" women through the media; Faludi highlights examples from all the following networks EXCEPT:
3. A book claims that during the first year after divorce, a woman's standard of living declines by seventy-three percent while a man's increases by forty-seven percent. This claim is challenged by economists Saul Hoffman and Greg Duncan who have found which of the following statistics over twenty years?
4. In Part 1 of Backlash, "Myths and Flashbacks" which of the following myths is analyzed?
5. Yankelovich Monitor surveys find that "masculinity" is often defined as a man being a "good provider." This has negative implications for which of the following aspects of the feminist movement?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)