|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 1980s all the following firsts are accomplished EXCEPT:
(a) Women outnumber men on unemployment lines.
(b) Women outnumber men in college attendance.
(c) The U.S. Census stops defining head of household as the husband.
(d) Women outnumber men in total jobs.
2. What is the message of chapter 11, "The Backlash Brain Trust: From Neocons to Neofems"?
(a) How laypeople are used by the backlash to discredit feminism in the 1980s.
(b) How a variety of "experts" both frighten and confuse people about feminism in the 1980s.
(c) No answers are correct.
(d) How large non-profit organizations fund backlash efforts in the 1980.
3. Why does Faludi believe Warren Farrell's loses his enthusiasm for the feminist movement?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Women are unhappy that he is a spokesman for the movement.
(c) He is tired of defending his position.
(d) Feminism is fading in the media.
4. Retin-A is approved by the FDA to treat _____________ and is eventually marketed to treat ________.
(a) Wrinkles, acne.
(b) Wrinkles, wrinkles.
(c) Acne, acne.
(d) Acne, wrinkles.
5. Victoria Secret was intended to be the:
(a) Store where women could buy lingerie without the interruptions of men.
(b) Type of store where couples could purchase intimate attire for dress-up fantasies.
(c) Retail store to provide real intimate attire for real women.
(d) Disneyland version of a 19th-century lady's dressing room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Women's Wear Daily serve the feminist movement and the fashion industry?
2. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
3. How does the Faludi describe the media's treatment of protests against the Miss America pageant and burning bras?
4. In coining the term "cocooning," Faith Popcorn was seeking to do what according to Faludi?
5. Faludi makes the point that most women who go mad in 1970s films are repressed and neglected housewives. According to the author, these women do all of the following except what?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)